Team-BHP - Transition of Jeep Rattler into Rattler II Lower Forty
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Transition of Jeep Rattler into Rattler II Lower Forty (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/137452-transition-jeep-rattler-into-rattler-ii-lower-forty.html)

Hello friends,

I am back with one more mod story of my Jeep Rattler.
Though I have not gone on any serious off road expedition in my Rattler till date, I have enjoyed each and every moment driving around in my Jeep be it city or some easy off the road estate drives.

A few pictures of Rattler before going in for the mods ( sort of a flash back as to how he was before our attempt to transform him).

The immense urge to take up this project began when Mangalore again started raining Jeeps of different mods, from simple ones to Bling Dabwali ones, Willys and the look alike etc. The job undertaken this time is fully transforming Rattler into a different character. Rattler moved in and settled in the garage on 15th February, 2013 waiting to get stripped down completely.

Mod jobs taken up:
1. Shortening the 101” wheelbase jeep to 80” by cutting the chassis.
2. Giving the Jeep a Low Profile Based on the American Jeep Lower Forty.

There is a particular thread here at Team BHP that talks about the Lower Forty concept {http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/67562-mopar-jeep-wrangler-40-inch-tyres-hemi-v8.html}. This concept has been my motivation to go ahead with the project hence, I am going to name him “Rattler II Lower Forty”.
Simultaneously, I undertook to bring down the wheelbase from 101” to 80” by shortening the chassis. I knew that this project work will burn a hole into my pocket so I tried to keep the whole process simple yet professional, opted out of those extremely big tyres knowing the amount of changes needed in both the Pumpkins plus extremely high cost of the tyres, discs, load on the axle bearings etc etc.

I wanted to get it to a SWB jeep this time and I have no answer to the question ‘Why?’
I had already decided not to venture out on any serious off road expeditions in this jeep after the modification.
A few searches on the internet for the proper way to cut the chassis without losing the alignment and the strength of the ladder yielded a good, detailed Youtube video showing the whole process. We had a challenging issue here which was the length of the chassis to be cut. It was precisely 21” in length. When we identified the area on the chassis to cut, there was no way we could cut the same that long, in the said manner. If I had to cut the chassis in the manner the below photos shows, then to cut away 21 inches, I would need to mark 42 inches of area on the chassis.

A few photos that I downloaded from the internet, showing the proper way of cutting the chassis.

We had one more option that 11 inches of the chunk from the chassis be removed freely and then the rest 10 inches to be cut in the (above) recommended manner. This option could have potentially misaligned the chassis in millimeters or even in centimeters on either side. Therefore, we decided to do the cutting in a different manner which would not affect the strength and articulation of the chassis much. The idea that we adopted here regarding the manner in which the chassis to be cut is given by a welding expert who has done similar jobs earlier on jeeps. The same person came to our help by agreeing to do the job on my Jeep.

Firstly, we provided a base/support to the chassis so that it did not move when cut. During the cutting process, we placed additional jacks and tied the ladder with chain so that it remained in place after being separated from the other half. Once the chassis cut, the Chassis level was checked using the water level and, the straightness of the ladder by using a thread (though an inferior method, it is effective) we made sure that nothing was moved and then begun the welding process to re-join the chassis. The welding was done from both sides of the chassis and to add extra strength 10mm metal strips were welded on the inner side of the chassis.

Pictures showing completely stripped down body tub and the identified area on the chassis to be cut.

Thread moved to the 4x4 Section. Thanks for sharing!

Ah, finally a documented making of a CJ500 to a CJ3x. Bring it on, eagerly awaiting more details.

I have seen many LWB made into a SWB, but none documented with detailed pics.

When a Chassis is cut and welded by hand as in most Indian denting shop is it safe in terms of load bearing, strenght, alignment etc. ? I am quite doubtful about this.
If not done to precision things may go awfully wrong.

Hi Rattler, looks like a common project but with a professional approach, I meant the project you undertook is quite common these days as SWB have become scarce so now people have targeted M&M Cj500. I must have witnessed at least 4-5 Jeep reincarnation from LWB to SWB and that too Willys CJ3B or JEEP avtar.

One positive thing here is that you are doing some research and giving it a professional approach which should give better results. Since you have decided to convert it into SWB so are you planning to change the fenders to that of a old jeep. What about the engine ? any idea of having Willys replica ?

This looks like an interesting brain food for me. I bet you will get all the support from me. Do post information on regular basis with pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 3144946)
Ah, finally a documented making of a CJ500 to a CJ3x. Bring it on, eagerly awaiting more details.

I have seen many LWB made into a SWB, but none documented with detailed pics.

Hi Santosh,

Thank you for your comments. I will try my best to give a detailed report on this project.

Regards,

Sudhir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertfox (Post 3144976)
When a Chassis is cut and welded by hand as in most Indian denting shop is it safe in terms of load bearing, strenght, alignment etc. ? I am quite doubtful about this.
If not done to precision things may go awfully wrong.

Hi Desertfox,

You have raised a good question. Most of the Indian workshops where we get our Jeeps modified will not have the sophisticated tools or method to follow when it comes to cutting of the chassis. As inferior methods like line of sight to check the alignment of the wheels, chassis etc are still being practiced. Im this case also they used the water level, thread to measure etc. One thing I am happy about is that they did not allow the chassis to move after cutting it. The welding technician has done a perfect or near perfect job and also reinforced the inner side of the chassis to give the extra strength.

Regards,

Sudhir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanu (Post 3145514)
Hi Rattler, looks like a common project but with a professional approach, I meant the project you undertook is quite common these days as SWB have become scarce so now people have targeted M&M Cj500. I must have witnessed at least 4-5 Jeep reincarnation from LWB to SWB and that too Willys CJ3B or JEEP avtar.

One positive thing here is that you are doing some research and giving it a professional approach which should give better results. Since you have decided to convert it into SWB so are you planning to change the fenders to that of a old jeep. What about the engine ? any idea of having Willys replica ?

This looks like an interesting brain food for me. I bet you will get all the support from me. Do post information on regular basis with pictures.

Hi Chanu,

Thank you for your comments. The reason for posting this story is mainly because of its lowered profile/height. I thought that this type of modifications I am yet to see in Mangalore atleast. I will not be touching the engine or the gearbox which is an International B275 harvester.
I am only concentrating into the looks department such as slightly upsizing the tyres and the lowered height. I hope that it would look good. I am retaining the original rounded fender, without the indicator lights.

Regards,

Sudhir.

Sudhir, you can report post and this thread can be taken back to Assembly Line.

Also please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

@Sudhir,

You may like to read this thread, PM me for any details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...n-chassis.html

Andy

Exactly what I was thinking along like Grace mentioned. You can add cross members across opposite sides of the cut just to be sure and safe

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 3147348)
Exactly what I was thinking along like Grace mentioned. You can add cross members across opposite sides of the cut just to be sure and safe

+1 to this. This is a very important point, and should be considered.

I live in Mangalore as well. Where is this workshop that you are getting this work done? Would love to have a peek at it.

All the best on the conversion, Do give me a shout if you need any help. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattler (Post 3146345)
The reason for posting this story is mainly because of its lowered profile/height. I thought that this type of modifications I am yet to see in Mangalore atleast.

I personally haven't see any jeep in mangalore with lowered height/profile. Just the ones with gypsy rims and A/T rubber and some very unusual yellow or white coloured ones which deserve their spot on the "Weird and whacky mods" thread. lol:
Hoping to see some pictures soon. Hope it turned out well and all the best! :thumbs up