Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 21:30   #106
BHPian

Re: My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post

Another mod that I am itching to do but haven't figured out yet is how to improve the throw of the AC vents. The stock units especially the centre one are putrid. A friend of mine threw out the stock one. Filed away some clearances and inserted AC vents from an old Maruti 800. The results are encouraging but I didn't like the fit and finish so am still contemplating how to do it better. Any ideas or experiences are most welcome..
Great set of practical mods there. I've been coming up with some for my Thar. I will share them once I have a handful. The AC vents definitely need to be addressed. Was wondering how to go about it. Let us know if you come up with something. Will do the same if something strikes me.
chandan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 14:47   #107

Sir , just got a Thar some weeks back ,have a problem with front suspension and you too had the same problem of the bumperettes, one of them again went missing, what do you tell them to adjust the torsion bar ,and the mahindra ASC here is ignorant and says its like this only.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bumperettes.pdf (2.18 MB, 655 views)
Old 5th May 2014, 22:07   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaytiwari View Post
Sir , just got a Thar some weeks back ,have a problem with front suspension and you too had the same problem of the bumperettes, one of them again went missing, what do you tell them to adjust the torsion bar ,and the mahindra ASC here is ignorant and says its like this only.
Hi, i think you mean bumpstops. Firstly, you said it again went missing, that means you had them replaced once. Right? Bumpstops falling off by itself and I think i can make out a dent in the mounting bracket definitely means incorrect torsion bar setting. Torsion bar setting is done adjusting the nuts (spanner size -21) at the rear of the bar. There are two nuts one being the lock nut. Loosen one by one and exactly measure turns from current setting by means of a mark on the nuts. Both sides will have to be done equally. Also final clearances between body and both upper and lower bumpstops for both sides should be equal. All this can be done by yourself or explained ASC/ Local garage. You will have to jack up body to unload torsion bar. And dont forget to straighten the dent in the mount before you install new bumpstops.

Last edited by samwagon : 5th May 2014 at 22:11. Reason: Grammatical errors
samwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 12:29   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, just got a Thar some weeks back, have a problem with front suspension and you too had the same problem of the bumperettes, one of them again went missing, what do you tell them to adjust the torsion bar, and the mahindra ASC here is ignorant and says its like this only.
Dear Vijaytiwari - are you from Nasik? Is the vehicle in Nasik? If yes, please PM me, your problem will be solved before you will complete reading this sentence! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 19:35   #110

Dear Behram Sir, your two Chelas in Nasik, Mr Ganesh and Mr Rahul Joshi were more than helping and have solved the niggles and the torsion bar setting, they have a very fond memories of you and were very nostalgic of the developing stages of the Thar and 521.
Old 8th May 2014, 22:17   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Behram Sir, your two Chelas in Nasik, Mr Ganesh and Mr Rahul Joshi were more than helping and have solved the niggles and the torsion bar setting, they have a very fond memories of you and were very nostalgic of the developing stages of the Thar and 521.
So I was right about the requirement of torsion bar setting. Please elaborate on the exact job undertaken.
Old 9th May 2014, 07:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwagon View Post
So I was right about the requirement of torsion bar setting. Please elaborate on the exact job undertaken.
Ideally if you could please put up pictures from where one does the torsion bar settings. I understand it is DIY and my Jeep is currently leaning to one side. Long time have not spent some time under it so a few pics or detailed desciption of where to find it will help.
Old 9th May 2014, 07:25   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Ideally if you could please put up pictures from where one does the torsion bar settings. I understand it is DIY and my Jeep is currently leaning to one side. Long time have not spent some time under it so a few pics or detailed desciption of where to find it will help.
+1 to the same request from my side as well. My Thar is tilted a bit to the left side as well and also a bit from back to front.
Old 9th May 2014, 17:04   #114

The process of setting the torsion bar was same as explained by Samwagon ( i only have this name please) only thing they put the vehicle on lift removed both the front wheels ,removed the quarter pin to loosen the nut using 21 ring spanner loosening the nut on the lift, changed the bump-ons ,in my case the dent was tried to be removed to the original shape , the vehicle get on the ground on a hydrulic jack and the 'expert' comes and follows the sets the lock nut and tightens the other nut counting the no of turns, identical process for the other side but did it three times, after setting the torsion bar there is no gap or the bump ons are touching the frame sections,on my questioning am hold that this is the way the original setting should be and at least shouldn't play with it till the warranty period, a alignment of wheels is recommended after setting from him after driving for say 50 kms ,please don't ask me why, maybe i am unable to explain in simple way , i will again go to him on monday and may be get a SOP and post it here . and yes they didn't charge for the work.
Old 9th May 2014, 19:20   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
+1 to the same request from my side as well. My Thar is tilted a bit to the left side as well and also a bit from back to front.
Will do tommorrow guys ASAP. Today it is already dusk for the photos.

Last edited by samwagon : 9th May 2014 at 19:27. Reason: Grammatical mistakes
Old 10th May 2014, 17:47   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The process of setting the torsion bar was same as explained by Samwagon (I only have this name please) only thing they put the vehicle on lift removed both the front wheels ,removed the quarter pin to loosen the nut using 21 ring spanner loosening the nut on the lift, changed the bump-ons, in my case the dent was tried to be removed to the original shape, the vehicle get on the ground on a hydrulic jack and the 'expert' comes and follows the sets the lock nut and tightens the other nut counting the no of turns, identical process for the other side but did it three times, after setting the torsion bar there is no gap or the bump ons are touching the frame sections, on my questioning am hold that this is the way the original setting should be and at least shouldn't play with it till the warranty period, a alignment of wheels is recommended after setting from him after driving for say 50 kms, please don't ask me why, maybe I am unable to explain in simple way, I will again go to him on monday and may be get a SOP and post it here. They didn't charge for the work.
Dear Vijaytiwari - see? Ganesh and Rahul know exactly what to do to achieve the desired result! If they can do it, why others can't I wonder! . Enjoy your vehicle, do get the steering geometry checked exactly as recommended. In torsion bar, suspension set is very important. Your vehicle must track straight, the steering output must be crisp, returnability must be linear and the steering wheel move in your hands like "maska" to delight you!

You are lucky to be staying in my favorite city, Nasik! I miss my favorite Ashwin Sector, CIDCO!

Best regards,

Behram
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 01:05   #117
BHPian

Quote:
The process of setting the torsion bar was same as explained by Samwagon ( i only have this name please) only thing they put the vehicle on lift removed both the front wheels ,removed the quarter pin to loosen the nut using 21 ring spanner loosening the nut on the lift, changed the bump-ons ,in my case the dent was tried to be removed to the original shape , the vehicle get on the ground on a hydrulic jack and the 'expert' comes and follows the sets the lock nut and tightens the other nut counting the no of turns, identical process for the other side but did it three times, after setting the torsion bar there is no gap or the bump ons are touching the frame sections,on my questioning am hold that this is the way the original setting should be and at least shouldn't play with it till the warranty period, a alignment of wheels is recommended after setting from him after driving for say 50 kms ,please don't ask me why, maybe i am unable to explain in simple way , i will again go to him on monday and may be get a SOP and post it here . and yes they didn't charge for the work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vijaytiwari - see? Ganesh and Rahul know exactly what to do to achieve the desired result! If they can do it, why others can't I wonder! . Enjoy your vehicle, do get the steering geometry checked exactly as recommended. In torsion bar, suspension set is very important. Your vehicle must track straight, the steering output must be crisp, returnability must be linear and the steering wheel move in your hands like "maska" to delight you!

You are lucky to be staying in my favorite city, Nasik! I miss my favorite Ashwin Sector, CIDCO!

Best regards,

Behram
Sir, btw I spoke to mr Tiwari at length today. Actually he wasn't too happy with what Ganesh and Rahul did. And the end result was no gap between bumpstops and body, so it was back to square one.
We'll guys here are the snaps of the torsion bar adjustment nuts. The important points to note while doing the adjustment are :-
(A) park the jeep on even surface.
(B) jack up the body/ chasis one side at a time to de stress the torsion bar and then loosen the nuts.
(C) final setting should be such that clearance between bumpstops and body must be equal on both sides. Yes!! There much be some clearance.
(D) measurements between wheel and mudguard/ wheel well can be misleading.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-image.jpg  

samwagon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 19:18   #118

Hi Samwagon , finally got my suspension arm and Bump ons separated with reasonable distance in between, from the compression and dent on one you will notice how uneven the torsion bar was set in factory fitted new Thar, thanks for the input. intact the ride quality seems better or it is my perception.
Attached Thumbnails
My li'l Red Mahindra Thar with some practical modifications-bumps.png  

Old 7th June 2014, 08:21   #119
BHPian

My Thar, which was bought new a month ago, had the same problem. The upper control arms were happily resting on their respective bump-stops. Took it back to the ASC and had it rectified.

While at the ASC, I observed that 2 other brand new Thars in the showroom had a similar problem, and so did 3 more which had come in for service, having between 10K to 30K mileage on them each!

Once fixed, the ride definitely does improve. Having some clearance between the upper arms and the bump-stops allows the suspension to move downwards without pulling the body down along with it.

If one is from bangalore, I would recommend him/her to visit Sireesh Auto on Hosur road to have this issue rectified. The service engineer by name Nethaji is quite competent in rectifying this issue. He even has a metal rod cut to the exact design length in order to set the correct height of the upper arms from ground level. He claims to have obtained the measurements from the Mahindra factory itself.
Old 7th June 2014, 10:31   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally got my suspension arm and bump stops separated with reasonable distance in between, from the compression and dent on one you will notice how uneven the torsion bar was set in factory fitted new Thar. The ride quality seems better.
Dear vijaytiwari - good that it actually happened now. This should be done in normal course during manufacturing. .

As the ride height has been corrected, you will need to get the camber / caster / toe checked once again and adjusted to specification. All three are adjustable, not only toe so don't get convinced otherwise. 99 wheel alignment guys out of 100 don't touch camber and caster because it is a cumbersome process and they convince customers that it is not required by talking complete nonsense with full confidence. These parameters have to change as ride height changes, this is elementary geometry. For this, you must see the specifications as supplied to the ASCs, the original recommendation carried this corelation.

Best of luck! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks