Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 22:51   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Updated Maruti Gypsy coming?

I have been trying to find a gypsy but non of the dealers have it and I am told a new gypsy with some changes is going to be launched later on this month. The same was also told to me by maruti corporate office in vasant kunj.

A bit of research shows xa alpha concept might be launched under the gypsy badge but what the dealers are hinting towards not that major a change.

Any news any one got on the same?

Cheers
CR-V is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 07:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Updated Maruti Gypsy coming?

The changes have to be on the engine front since G13B is not BS4 compliant, and they would need to switch to K12 anyway if they need to launch again.

If they are investing on a new engine, they could bring the third generation Suzuki Jimny with some modifications to keep it just under 4m. Engine options could be K12M petrol and either the MJD or K9K as the diesel option. K9K has a chance since 3rd gen Jimny was available in some parts of Europe from 2005-2011 with 85PS K9K.
Old 10th November 2013, 07:44   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
I am told a new gypsy with some changes is going to be launched later on this month. The same was also told to me by maruti corporate office in vasant kunj.

dealers are hinting towards not that major a change.

Any news any one got on the same?
Cheers
This could be true. Gypsy sold 0 numbers for the last 3-4 months, but shows some numbers in October. Army has stopped ordering Gypsy as they wanted more bigger and modern jeeps. So, Maruti might have shortened Gypsy by a few inches and plonked the G12 engine and started production for the masses... Who knows?
Old 10th November 2013, 07:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
The changes have to be on the engine front since G13B is not BS4 compliant, and they would need to switch to K12 anyway if they need to launch again. If they are investing on a new engine, they could bring the third generation Suzuki Jimny with some modifications to keep it just under 4m. Engine options could be K12M petrol and either the MJD or K9K as the diesel option. K9K has a chance since 3rd gen Jimny was available in some parts of Europe from 2005-2011 with 85PS K9K.
I have seen G13B gypsies with Indian army that are BS4 compliant,they come with a green BSIV sticker on rear tail gate near the gypsy badge.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 08:01   #5
BHPian

Hi. Even i was told by a contact i have in MASS here that the gypsy will be re launched with a new engine, most probably a diesel. It ll have minor upgrades and some major ones like a.c and power steering too. If that really happens it ll be a capable alternative to the thar. Btw mahindra seems to be doing well in the thar sales. The off roading trend seems to be catching on

Hey crv the maruti sales person i contacted for a new gypsy was ready to take my booking. Gypsy is made to order for civilians and waiting period is about 3 months. It costs around 7.5 lakhs on road in mumbai

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th November 2013 at 18:43.
Old 10th November 2013, 08:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
The changes have to be on the engine front since G13B is not BS4 compliant, and they would need to switch to K12 anyway if they need to launch again.
This is not right. I had spoken to a Maruti dealer some months back and he confirmed that the Gypsy was being made available as BS4, using the existing engine.

That said, it is good news if they plonk in the K series or the 1.3 diesel. I'm only afraid that the diesel option, if available, will come with a shocking sticker price.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 09:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have seen G13B gypsies with Indian army that are BS4 compliant,they come with a green BSIV sticker on rear tail gate near the gypsy badge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
This is not right. I had spoken to a Maruti dealer some months back and he confirmed that the Gypsy was being made available as BS4, using the existing engine.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

I'm not sure who Maruti would be thinking in terms of the potential audience. Army is out of question with their new criteria. A significant pricing correction can be expected, since the current price was heavily inflated to milk the maximum out of army/GOI orders.

I hope they do something about the teeth-jarring ride and pitch it in as a lifestyle vehicle for urban audience with AC/PS/PW. That's probably the only segment who might settle for a petrol-only fuel guzzler. They can even try 4x2/4x4 options since the compact SUV craze shows that people don't really need 4x4 from SUV, they just need something with high ground clearance.

They'll most likely get the length to under 4m anyway by tweaking the bumpers, to ensure they don't end up in the 27% duty bracket, since they are above the 1200cc and >170mm GC.

Last edited by zenren : 10th November 2013 at 09:42.
Old 10th November 2013, 12:01   #8
BANNED

Guys Maruti Eeco uses G13B too .
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 12:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
with @Trust_In_Thrust that the G13B is available in Eeco, & is BS4 compatible... unless there are more creature comforts in the vehicle, I believe no major changes re the dimensions will be done to it.

However, it is high time Maruti Suzuki should have a hardcore offroader to carry on Gypsy's legacy, & not just a softroader quasi SUV for the sake of numbers.
Old 10th November 2013, 12:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

If Maruti is interested only in masses they may not want to revive Gypsy at all, which has anyways become sort of a niche vehicle.

Also if they intended to relaunch it they would have probably done so already to sustain the army orders.

Maybe Maruti wants to exit this segment which doesn't sell much.
Old 10th November 2013, 13:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

The MS management must have seen the MM laughing all the way to the bank with the sales of Thar.

Also the Force Motors re-launching of Gurkha must have inspired MS some confidence to at least re think about their existing Gypsy, which could be re launched with extra features and better specifications and with petrol and Diesel engines.

There must be a reason as to why Gypsy is still a favorite among the rally enthusiasts.
Old 10th November 2013, 14:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
The MS management must have seen the MM laughing all the way to the bank with the sales of Thar. Also the Force Motors re-launching of Gurkha must have inspired MS some confidence to at least re think about their existing Gypsy, which could be re launched with extra features and better specifications and with petrol and Diesel engines. There must be a reason as to why Gypsy is still a favorite among the rally enthusiasts.
And the reason is the G13B
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 15:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
with @Trust_In_Thrust that the G13B is available in Eeco, & is BS4 compatible... unless there are more creature comforts in the vehicle, I believe no major changes re the dimensions will be done to it.
Technically, its G12B in Eeco and not G13B - its practically same engine with lower bore which makes it 1196cc/73bhp/BS4 and hence eligible for excise duty benefits. It would be a direct fit in Gypsy but comes with a compromise in power.

Only question is whether people would want a Gypsy with 1.3L- 80 bhp or a 1.2L- 73 bhp engine.
Old 10th November 2013, 18:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cant wait for a refreshed Gypsy to fight the Thar. With more pep, the already renowned platform and name, cheap parts and a few extra features and creature comforts, this should blow the competition out of the water
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2013, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Looks interesting but how tested will the MJD 1.3 be for Off Roading? Probably the off-roading Gurus will be able to assist? Even with the 90 BHP would it be sufficient?

Suppose MSIL would be the first ones to experiment with MJD?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks