Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 15:06   #16
BHPian

Re: 1 day old Mahindra Thar catches fire! Damages 3rd-party property too

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
How can wrong operation of 4WD controls lead to fire? I can imagine damage to the TC gears, axles, bearings, but FIRE!
I certainly can't spot any accessories from the pictures. In any case, if there were any accessories they would definitely come out in the insurance inspection.
Its a speculation. May be wrong operation of 4WD caused intense heat which may have casued some combustible parts in the engine bay to burn.
Have seen many videos on youtube where people drive with handbrake on and brakes catch fire. It could also be that. Accessories like bigger horn may be installed inside the engine bay not visible from outside.
All of this is just speculation just like everyone else here. We will only know after investigation.
Old 9th April 2014, 16:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

What kind of neighbors are they? Filing a case against the Thar owner for what obviously looks like a fire accident? What kind of charges were filed against the owner? Arson?

If anybody intends to buy a Thar, make sure you have friendly neighborly relations with all your neighbors!
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 16:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What kind of neighbors are they? Filing a case against the Thar owner for what obviously looks like a fire accident? What kind of charges were filed against the owner? Arson?

If anybody intends to buy a Thar, make sure you have friendly neighborly relations with all your neighbors!
This is Delhi where you do not know your next door neighbors. Thar owner burnt (although unknowingly and unintentional) his neighbor's car where neighbors even kill each other for parking this spaces.

I used to think that owing a Thar poses threat to pedestrians and other cars due to its poor braking. Now have to add this as another threat.
Old 9th April 2014, 17:08   #19
gemi_kk

I don't understand one thing. Why mahindra and its dealer is not responding to the customer?

They can respond and they always can deny being responsible. Why avoid? If there isn't any mistake from dealer, he should talk to the customer and try to answer his queries.

I do not suspect the IGL gas has done any damage. LPG Gas flash temperature is 105 Degrees. For CNG, its at 150+ degrees. Where as Engine max temperature is 100 degrees (in the worst case). In open space the car engine temperature wont exceed 100.

Car going back is something like a mirage. Some kind of illusion which some people might have felt.

Either it has been flared intentionally, or there must be a fault in the vehicle.
  (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 18:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Two more things

1> The front wheel is turned to the left
2> The car was able to start on its own

Does this mean that the fuel/electrical circuit was left active, as in, car left with ignition key in on position. After the fire broke out maybe, the starter circuit got switched on (due to short circuit) and the vehicle started (as the fuel circuit was already active).

In this case it could also be a cigerette (+LPG) that triggered the first fire. One external flash triggers a local short circuit and the whole vehicle electical circuits gets affected (as the ignition is on)
Old 9th April 2014, 19:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Did the owner try to to tweet his sad tale to Anand Mahindra on twitter? Am sure everybody will start to respond if a tweet reaches Mr Mahindra. Unfortunately in Indian Companies, people still prefer a top down approach.
Old 9th April 2014, 20:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Really feeling sorry for the poor THAR owner. A jeep dream burnt in flames coupled with the additional legal hassles!
While the actual reason may come out only after a detailed investigation, the attitude of the dealer and the company is indeed shocking! And i won't be surprised if the reason comes out to be some component malfunction in the electric circuit. After all there have been instances where people have survived due to sheer luck when key mechanical components of not-so-old THAR went for a toss while on moderately good speed on road!
Old 9th April 2014, 21:28   #23
BHPian

Have written to Anand Mahindra and Pawan Goenka on twitter. Hope this is taken up seriously and the truth comes out soon. It's pretty disheartening for potential Thar buyers like me.
Old 9th April 2014, 22:20   #24
BHPian

Very strange case of the Thar burning up. Looked at all the photos and even the FB page to determine the color of the Thar. Now it is a nightmare since its the same as mine.

Would an electrical fire alone cause almost every single inch of the vehicle to burn up ? I thought diesel was safer than petrol since it has a higher flash point and needs compression to combust. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

Only thing I could think of is the bad practice of many dealerships that clean vehicles exteriors with Kerosene dipped rags ? Wondering if a stray embers from a cigarette caused the initial fire to start?

As for a short circuit starting the engine, I doubt it, and that too to move the vehicle - in reverse without stalling ?
Old 9th April 2014, 23:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Every once in awhile a battery will decide to catch fire. You can throw a match into a cup of diesel fuel and it won't burn. Probably electric origin as opposed to fuel. Unless it's arson.

In a Thar the battery is located on the left rear corner of the engine bay against the firewall....."firewall"....?!?"
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 23:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

I can only think of a short circuit and nothing else. Messed up PDI maybe, but 100% not the owners fault. Make Mahindra pay up for everything including your neighbors car and every other damage. Refund the money if you don't want another Thar and if you do still want the Thar, ask for a new one.
Old 10th April 2014, 07:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Sad to see such an incident. Just imagine the owners happines turning into sorrow in matter of hours. As far as I remember this seems to be first fire incident with Thar reported. So many things that could have happened. New vehicle with incomplete PDI, owner new to the operation of various controls in the vehicle, may be wrong operation of 4WD controls, may be owner did put in some accessories but doesn't want to disclose, etc.
Need Mahindra to investigate and publish to everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
How can wrong operation of 4WD controls lead to fire? I can imagine damage to the TC gears, axles, bearings, but FIRE!
I certainly can't spot any accessories from the pictures. In any case, if there were any accessories they would definitely come out in the insurance inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Its a speculation. May be wrong operation of 4WD caused intense heat which may have casued some combustible parts in the engine bay to burn.
Have seen many videos on Youtube where people drive with handbrake on and brakes catch fire. It could also be that. Accessories like bigger horn may be installed inside the engine bay not visible from outside.
All of this is just speculation just like everyone else here. We will only know after investigation.
That is Just not right;4WD cannot lead to fire,since its all mechanical in the Thar.Someone i know had his Brand new Bolero in 4H mode right from delivery and he unknowingly drove in that mode without any issues.If you check the history;the car was delivered on the same day;i doubt if 4WD was even engaged.Even it was it cannot cause a fire;that is for sure.
Somehow i suspect that it is a sabotage.
Old 10th April 2014, 08:43   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Maybe they have filed a case for insurance claims for their loss.

I believe you need to file a case for claim redress.

Though, unsure who will compensate or multiple parties might, like Pawan (hence made a party for 3rd party damages) or Zen's insurance or if they have house insurance. Depends...

Please feel free to correct if I am wrong
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 08:58   #29
Team-BHP Support

The gas pipe can't be the cause of the fire, considering it is un-touched by the fire. 4WD mechanicals can't be the source of fire either. This fire started much after the car was parked. It can only be electrical or arson. I am sure Mahindra will claim arson. Unless this is investigated by a professional agency like NTSB, this will never be solved.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 11:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Unless similar incidents are reported by a few more Thar owners - new or old - I don't see how the company can order a thorough investigation of the root cause. Arson is a possibility (my new Zen had cow dung smeared on it long ago) and the other possibility is some unknowingly done faulty operation/use or even fitment by the dealer. Only a forensic examination can reveal the mystery.

Thar is an established model selling for a long time in India - in various avatars. No one has ever heard of such incidents of "catching fire on its own". It is very unlikely that there is some fundamental design flaw that demands an investigation.

The Nano case was different. It was a new launch and several vehicles reported the problem. Tatas are known for launching new models without properly testing them.

It is ridiculous to suggest that leaked gas from the pipeline behind could be the cause. In that case there would be fire marks on the pipeline and the building's wall also. Leaked gas cannot cause fire in one place and then quietly retreat back in.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks