Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 23:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: The Force Gurkha 4x4

No why should I be dissapointed never seriously considered buying it. It is not a direct Thar competitor. And no improvement in finish or quality.

I am happy with what i have currently.

4x4 Thar - many
4x4 Scorpio
4X4 Landcruiser Prado LWB 90 Diesel

But I wonder what Dhabhar Bhai is up to ? Is he designing a Unimog these days ?

Last edited by desertfox : 16th July 2014 at 23:53.
Old 17th July 2014, 00:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

The fit and finish is appalling to say the least. If you are somehow able to digest that, the bent A/C and Power steering pipes are grotesque. I will not touch this with a barge pole.
Old 17th July 2014, 00:23   #33
BHPian

So much for Gurkha, what was the company thinking. They could have made these small improvements to make a substantial impact on the market. And all they have done is to give the consumers a badly finished product. One of the reasons for them overlooking such issues is the fact that the competition, Thar, isn't light years ahead.
Old 17th July 2014, 05:59   #34
BANNED

Re: Review of Force Latest Gurkha 4x4x4 EOV (or atleast that's what's Force Calls It)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Will update after I get my hands on the *updated* version due for Sept Launch.
Was this vehicle not part of the test batch that Force made to send across dealers for limited customer testing?

I also had an opportunity to TD this vehicle, but almost a year ago. There was a Force management guy at the dealership, and he specifically mentioned that this was not the final version, and they are taking feedback to improve it. Did they not tell you that when you went for TD?

So, how much is this review and the follow up dissection of a pre production model going to help?

It will keep a certain section of the crowd in glee, that's for sure.

But no matter how much bashing you give for looks and minor glitches, you cant deny the fact that the base vehicle Engineering is sound, and critical components are not Jugaad, unlike our real "Jeep" looking Thar.

Try comparing the cut and paste chassis of the Thar with the tubular chassis of Gurkha to get an idea.

But "Real" offroaders know that A/C vent position, and front grille looks is what really makes it a "Real" offroader, right?

Cheers
gthang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 08:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Oh and no one commented on the Forged Wishbones of this vehicle. Way Way better than the Stamped out and welded wishbones of Thars and Scorpios. This vehicle is IFS too but those Forged Wishbones will never give away unlike Thars and Scorpios which get dented and deformed at the slightest hits!

The Engineering base is good. They need to refine the minor glitches.

But even then this too will never be the primary car in the house. This too will be the recreational sunday vehicle for most other than the Hardened Offroaders.

I'm also waiting for the RFC Gurkha to finally come to light having seen its a real high lift job.

Gthang: By the way for all those real offroaders, the Old front grill is still available and is a direct bold on instead of this grill.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 17th July 2014 at 08:33.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 08:39   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
My Gurkha is 6 years old and still good enough to do a 3700 km trip. To me, that is a decent enough ageing. Let's see if the new one holds up as well, instead of jumping to conjectures and conclusions.
Oh. I thought you had a new one.

From pictures and what the report says about the new one, I have no hope of it lasting even close to half as long as your ride.
Old 17th July 2014, 09:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
From pictures and what the report says about the new one, I have no hope of it lasting even close to half as long as your ride.
The old and the new one aren't very different though. Some major changes I had observed when I got to experience the new one were:

1. Changed Rear Axles (Reduced weight and load rating) and reduced Final Ratio (Better cruising)
2. Changed Engine Layout (Better - More space to work and straighter tubing)
3. Added Oil Cooler (The old NA engines has this a decade back)
4. The Plastic lingerie
5. The reduced Ground Clearance (Almost 30 mm lesser)
6. The reduced Tire Size (245x75x16 instead of 7.5x16)
7. A different state of tune for the ECU (Better)

I don't see, how or why, except point 1 above, any of these changes would contribute to a reduced longevity for the vehicle.
Especially given that the build quality and fit and finish, in both the new and the old are equal(ly bad)!

In any case, given that this is a review of the 2013 pre-production pilot model, we should wait until a 2014 production piece is made available, before determining the nuances on which to berate this unfortunate vehicle.

Last edited by roy_libran : 17th July 2014 at 09:32.
roy_libran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:00   #38
BHPian

Quote:
1. Changed Rear Axles (Reduced weight and load rating) and reduced Final Ratio (Better cruising) ......... I don't see, how or why, except point 1 above, any of these changes would contribute to a reduced longevity for the vehicle.
- The change in rear axles (Reduced weight and load rating) too may have been done considering that the rear jump seats are no longer offered.
Old 17th July 2014, 12:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
- The change in rear axles (Reduced weight and load rating) too may have been done considering that the rear jump seats are no longer offered.
Perhaps No. I don't think even a 150 kg reduction of expected loading, makes any real difference to a vehicle of this class. I guess, the main drivers for the change were:

1. Cost reduction
2. Weight reduction
3. Improved driveability

The new Gurkha felt significantly Nimbler, than the older one when I drove it. Coupled with a reduced tire OD, consequently reduced tire weight, and a lower final ratio, if someone can measure, there should be a decent change in the torque available now, at the wheel, as compared to the earlier one.

Last edited by roy_libran : 17th July 2014 at 12:21.
Old 17th July 2014, 12:22   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the awesome review. I guess only one line sums this contraption up "Good from far, far from good"
Old 17th July 2014, 12:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

The entire "contraption" looks like a Jugaad!!

The steering wheel reminds me of the old Tata trucks. Ditto for the gear box.

The interiors lacked any refinement and the defogger switch...Hilarious.

Even the AC vents looks out of the 90s and could fall out anytime.
RPM meter looks like an after thought as well.
This is a very disappointing product frm Force and suggests that they are not at all serious about the market.
Old 17th July 2014, 12:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Tini

Is this the same review you posted elsewhere earlier, or did you get a chance to drive one again recently? The observations seem similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Same one. Will update after I get my hands on the *updated* version due for Sept Launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Was this vehicle not part of the test batch that Force made to send across dealers for limited customer testing?

So, how much is this review and the follow up dissection of a pre production model going to help?

It will keep a certain section of the crowd in glee, that's for sure.
Quote:
In any case, given that this is a review of the 2013 pre-production pilot model, we should wait until a 2014 production piece is made available, before determining the nuances on which to berate this unfortunate vehicle.
Given these, I would say that the title of this review is misleading as the title states that it is a review of a 2014 Force Gurkha when it reality it is a review of a 2013 example of a vehicle that hasn't been brought out in the market yet. A lot of people seem to be jumping to conclusions and passing sweeping judgements based on it.

Granted Force has its own issues in terms of actually bringing this vehicle to market, and I hope they would sort out all issues when they finally do. I believe this review (which has already been posted elsewhere on the forum last year) being posted yet again does not really paint a true picture of what the situation may be now (which only Force Motors and perhaps God knows).

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th July 2014 at 12:58.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 15:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Given these, I would say that the title of this review is misleading as the title states that it is a review of a 2014 Force Gurkha when it reality it is a review of a 2013 example of a vehicle that hasn't been brought out in the market yet. A lot of people seem to be jumping to conclusions and passing sweeping judgements based on it.
I agree with you, out of 20 people gave their valuable comments how many have driven New Gurkha. I am saying this because i drove one (2014 model which is still evolving though) on an offroad track twice. I drove their older models as well and new one is refined as compared to older ones. Though there is no doubt about Quality of product but if we are comparing it with Thar than they stand close to each other.
Biggest concern for me would be after sales service and spares.

BTW, If Mahindra calculates their 'cost of quality' for Thar CRDe they may think twice before continuing with sale of Thar.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 16:09   #44
BHPian

It took me a while to figure out that it is in fact a new model car thats being reviewed, and its not some write up about the current state of a rusted antique car that was just bought!! So many issues in a brand new model :(
Old 17th July 2014, 18:23   #45
BHPian

I too had the chance of trying this vehicle out. It is fun and yes there are issues but at the same time it is up to one who sees the issue and sees the plus point.

After six years with Gurkha, traveling in it to Gangtok, Kutch, Pune, entire Bihar, Bandhavgarh all with family I know one thing for sure it is a comfortable vehicle for two adults and two kids. You can have a picnic anywhere, be confident of the thing it would take you back.

Of all these six years there has been only one instance when I had to repair my vehicle on the track because I broke the support angle for the drive shaft - well the Aravali range stone was tougher! I have tried and done many obstacles and yes many times not able to clear all still I have trusted Gurkha for everything.

There are at times I keep hearing Gurkha parts are difficult to find, there are issues in Gurkha and yes there are certain manufacturing glitches which needs to be tightened out, but never in the past six years I had to be desperate and not get the part. It's like having an enfield once you have completed 20K kms and fixed everything you just get hooked to the vehicle.

I have stayed with Gurkha and every passing day I have loved it more. Once I guess I almost said yes to sell it as had not driven it for last three months and then that day decided to drive it back home from office where it is usually parked. By the time I reached my home - a drive of 8 kms I called up the buyer and said no to him.

Gurkha has given me a vehicle which might not be as comfortable as car, but more comfortable than other offroaders - might not be very nimble like CJs but very reliable. 550 and Thar it can take any day. With Gypsy it would be like comparing two different animals. Gypsy would kill it in sand or slush because of many reasons prime being weight and engine cut off but when it comes to crawling and rocks then Gypsy wont even be going home then.

I believe there is NO PERFECT vehicle. The vehicle is like relationship - there has to be compromises, there has to be respect for what one can do or cannot do.

I adore Gurkha and yes my wishlist on changes on this vehicle is LONG but given a choice considering the price and vehicles available I will buy a Gurkha again - most probably because I have learned to live with it and it has never failed me.
rhandle is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed