Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2014, 02:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Do-It-Yourself Jeep Rebuild - With the Nissan SD25, Turbocharged!

I've been running the MM540 in its XD3P version since 2011 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...w-mm540xd.html). Been to numerous OTR's, private ones and events and vehicle was holding up pretty well, with routine maintenance. However, after the Wayanad Annual Monsoon OTR - 2013, the body started sounding kadang kudang lodang, especially because of the very less care the body was getting (read: less washes, and more time outside in the rain, than in covered parking) and due to the fact that, I never really did a body patch up since the time I bought the Jeep.

Also, after a particular private OTR session and a very satisfying performance, on the way back, my engine went knock-knock-knock -- con-rod bearings shot. So, it was time for an engine rebuild. However, after a lot of unreliable XD3P stories, and primary due to me bored using the the same engine for two years, I decided to try out something new.

So, decided to give the Jeep a complete make over. Body and Mechanical. Now, my neighbor & fellow enthusiast who happens to have a mini workshop, was also keen on a DIY. So, we decided to work together on this project. Tear down the Jeep to the last bit, and give complete body and mechanical make over using only necessary parts, include more from other vehicle parts bin.

Project Result Intended: A much more capable, powerful and most importantly, balanced off-roader, than the MM540, which performs equally on slush, sand and rocky terrain.

The body part of the project focusing on Weight and its distribution: .. Should be as light as possible, and as heavy as needed. ie, not too light and jumpy like Gypsy, or too heavy and get bogged down in slush like the Thar/SUV's. And, most of the vehicle weight concentrated as low as possible.
Safety: Roll Cage, Seatbelts, Stinger/Tip Over Bar.
Recovery: Proper towing points, and equipment.

The mechanical part of the project focusing on again Weight and its distribution,
Power Delivery
: Get the max torque, low down the rpm range for easy crawl and managing inclines. Have good revvability and rpm, unlike the DI engines, for competitions. (Good Throttle response and Less gear changes),
Articulation:
The less said the better, eh? ,
Turning Radius. The more the better.
Strength: Strong Axles/Drivetrain, Light engine, Good Suspension.

The build was keeping the above in mind. And, the list of major parts/modification that went into Jeep is:
  1. Nissan SD 25 Engine.
  2. Scorpio CRDe Turbo Charger
  3. Mico Inline Pump
  4. C-Section Chassis
  5. KMT 90 Gear Box.
  6. T 18 Transfer Case.
  7. Narrow (Non-NGCS) Leafs.
  8. Longer Travel Bolero VLX Shocks.
  9. Longer Shackles
  10. 57" OKBJ , Front Axle.
  11. 51" SFRA Rear with 1" spacers (Upgrade to 53" pending)
  12. Weight Reduced as much as possible in stock body
  13. Bolero Camper MRCBT Steering.
  14. 32 x 11.5 x 15 Nankang Mudstar Tyres
  15. 15" Steel Wheels.
  16. 10000 lbs Runva Winch.
  17. 48" T-Max Jack.
  18. Limb Raisers
  19. Hanging Pedals with Bolero Brake Booster
  20. Ventilated Discs
  21. Lock Right 19 spline Lockers
  22. Custom Built 24" wide Radiator.
  23. 2 Nos Ford Ikon Electric Fan - No Mechanical Fan.
  24. Daewoo Cielo Reclining Bucket Seats, with Iron-Man waterproof Seat Covers.
  25. Ford IKON, Snorkel Plumbing.
  26. Thar CRDe Soft-Top with heat insulation on the inside.
  27. Lambda Mechanical Free Wheeling Hubs
  28. 4-point Roll Cage.
  29. Seat Belts & Stinger Bumper from Swastick Fabs
  30. Raised Fuel Tank, with Electronic Fuel Pump.
  31. 100 Ah Battery & 90 Ah Alternator.
Note: The primary purpose of the Jeep is not plying on road. It will be used mainly for off-road purpose only.

The Build (Note: Not the latest photos):

The Do-It-Yourself Jeep Rebuild - With the Nissan SD25, Turbocharged!-img_1540-copy.jpg

The Do-It-Yourself Jeep Rebuild - With the Nissan SD25, Turbocharged!-img_3770-copy.jpg

More details on each mod, the selection of the engine, and step by step build proceedings (as much as possible) , challenges faced etc.. in the coming posts.

Till then, please let me know how good the entire mod list sounds. The pros and cons of the above build lists.

Last edited by dhanushs : 28th August 2014 at 17:37. Reason: Removing an extra smiley. Thanks!
dhanushs is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Do-It-Yourself Jeep Rebuild - With the Nissan SD25, Turbocharged!

Nice list of improvements Dhanush. Purists may hate you for making it so functional, but I am curious to see the end result. Did all the modifications work to your satisfaction?

I hope you are planning on a wide wheel fender to cover those jutting out wheels.

How are you mating the Nissan engine to the KMT90, adapter plate?

Last edited by Samurai : 19th August 2014 at 00:41. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 15:09   #3
BHPian

Subscribed!
How easy/difficult is it to source spares for SD25?
Old 5th August 2014, 11:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nice list of improvements Dhanush. Purists may hate you for making it so functional, but I am curious to see the end result. Did all the modifications work to your satisfaction?
I've been testing the Jeep since this January, and extensively in the Wayanad OTR Recce, and yes, I can say that I'm happy - very much.. with the end result.

Of course, there was the small small niggling problems like accelerater cable and clutch cable being wrongly routed the first time, creating problems, and I had to correct it. A solid overheating problem, which literally went into my head, was solved by simply correcting the very wrong and advanced timing. etc..etc.. In the past 7 months, I've managed to sort out most of the issues.

Especially the engine is what I'm really happy about. Much better Throttle response than the XD3P.. Whist idling, you can vroom, vroom and it feels so addictive. The most petrol like, out of all the diesels I've driven. The low end torque which was lacking in the XD3P, I have oodles of it here. The top end, especially with the turbo whoosh on roads are addictive. I'll put up a detailed review of the same going forward.

Even though I've tried to lighten it as much as possible, I would've liked it to be in the range of 1300-1400 kilos. Right now, its 1500 kilos with all the above mods. Which I guess is pretty decent, when comparing similarly modded Thar should weigh atleast ~1850kilos +..

The Do-It-Yourself Jeep Rebuild - With the Nissan SD25, Turbocharged!-10583935_10152566234761963_1898328920693967306_n.jpg

Planning to dyno it from CBE to get the power to weight and torque to weight ratio.

Quote:
I hope you are planning on a wide wheel fender to cover those jutting out wheels.
Yes, I'm looking to source the wide fender flares of the NGCS. Finding it difficult.

Quote:
How are you mating the Nissan engine to the KMT90, adopter plate?
For now, NO, I havent used an adapeter plate. I have used the KMT 90 + XD3P bell housing, and just altered the bolts of the bellhousing using cast iron welding. Reason is the Gearbox mainshaft is sitting perfectly (correct length) inside the bush in the crank. I've also put an additional bush in the flywheel.

I'll put up a detailed write up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwarior View Post
Subscribed!
How easy/difficult is it to source spares for SD25?
This was one aspect I didn't give that much thought into. :(

I'd say not as easy as the XD3P. It's difficult. I have ZERO parts available in my hometown. However, I could source whatever I needed till now from Coimbatore. Which includes, a set of rings, con-road bearings, all gaskets, hose kit, glow plug, nozzle washers etc..
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 12:19   #5
BANNED

If possible could you please put up pictures of the alterations done to the bell housing.It can be of great help to any other member planning this alteration.
Also pictures of the engine bay please.
Regards,
Old 5th August 2014, 12:44   #6
Team-BHP Support

Looking good Dhanush, so finally you have a fully offroad prepped frankenstein with you

How is the engine and GB combo on tarmac, is it comfortable long distance cruiser also? And yes definitely want to give her a spin when we meet next time.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 14:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a DIY Jeep rebuild after a long time. Have a lot of questions, to start with, could you tell us how you have torqued the body mountings for your Jeep (procedure)?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 5th August 2014 at 14:57.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 16:29   #8
BHPian

spike , with a spanner I guess ..
prabhuav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Man you crack me up! Spike, give the technical stuff a break man!
jyobeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 15:50   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
If possible could you please put up pictures of the alterations done to the bell housing.It can be of great help to any other member planning this alteration.
Also pictures of the engine bay please.
Sure. I'll post the pics, I dont have it right now. But, will do so. It's been a year since the build. I will try to recollect most of the things and post here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
How is the engine and GB combo on tarmac, is it comfortable long distance cruiser also?
Yes, the engine is very relaxed in the highway. Very smooth and revv friendly. Overtaking is a breeze. I'm yet to hit the revv limit on road. Maybe Nice Road can do it. However, it needs a lot of courage to keep up at those speeds. With the height, and I guess the chassis - ZERO confidence inspiring. But, then, I aint driving it @120. I cant in Wayanad. May be that occasional show off sprint.

The gearbox humming if considered as the Jeep music, is good, otherwise, prolonged exposure to it can cause severe behavioral problems. Basically, engine wise, its very comfortable. The usual 540 gearbox humming sound, and the stability at speeds is what you need to compromise.
Quote:
And yes definitely want to give her a spin when we meet next time
Sure thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Nice to see a DIY Jeep rebuild after a long time. Have a lot of questions, to start with, could you tell us how you have torqued the body mountings for your Jeep (procedure)?
Ah!.. Was wondering where you were.. Nice to see you here.

After placing the body on the chassis, the rear most mountings were bolted. Further, grill, mudguard and everything aligned, and then bolted. And, then bolted the body. I had a little height difference between the mountings, which I guess happened due to the patch work welding done on the body. I have put belts on top of the mountings to correct the height.

Spike, Admist these questions, I hope you shed some of your knowledge and guide me through the right path. (Eg: I would be more than happy to remove the body and reinstall it the correct way, if inevitable.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post

Last edited by dhanushs : 6th August 2014 at 15:54.
Old 7th August 2014, 01:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

I asked you because my first few experiences with body mounting were not so good, thought you might have observed / learnt something new as you DIY. The body is light (minus the fenders etc.). FAW is higher so you may have a slight difference in ride heights. Did you check the FAW and RAW distribution?

If your Jeep looks ok in the side view, then don't bother, otherwise prabhuav is always there to help with spanners.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 7th August 2014 at 01:25.
Old 7th August 2014, 08:41   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Even though I've tried to lighten it as much as possible, I would've liked it to be in the range of 1300-1400 kilos. Right now, its 1500 kilos with all the above mods. Which I guess is pretty decent, when comparing similarly modded Thar should weigh atleast ~1850kilos +.
Dear Dhanushs - hello after a long time. You have built a very interesting concept. Do you have any information of what power and torque the engine is developing in this configuration? What is the UW / FAW / RAW of the vehicle? What is the dynamic rolling radius of the tires? What axle ratio are you running? This type of data collection always helps, hence I am asking.

By the way, UW of Thar CRDe is 1665 kg, anything more and it would not have met emission norms. UW is important not only from customer and cost point of view, but also to maintain the desired inertia level, required to satisfy the emission norms which are part of CMVR. Please answer Pratheesh's question also, it is very important to understand why he is asking.

Even if you remove and refit the body, you will have to tighten by spanners only, good one there Prabhuav! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th August 2014, 13:46   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dhanushs - hello after a long time.
and I'm very much glad to see you in my Thread.
Quote:
You have built a very interesting concept.
Thanks.
Quote:
Do you have any information of what power and torque the engine is developing in this configuration?
After the Turbo, NO. I dont know the exact figures. But, I'll get the at-wheel figures after the dyno test. Will post it here. Before turbocharging, the stock engne, IIRC, is 1.6-1.7kgm & 70-75 bhp. & I guess the engine revvs till 4900 rpm
Quote:
What is the UW / FAW / RAW of the vehicle?
1500 kilos is the weight with all the accessories fitted. ie, 32 inch tyres, steel rims, winch with a 30 meter steel rope, 48" hi lift jack, roll cage, accessories (GB Sheilds, Diff guards, shaktiman tow hooks, rear pintle hook etc. etc. )
How to determine Front & Rear Axle weight. ?
Quote:
What is the dynamic rolling radius of the tires?
32" is th tyre diameter. So, radius would be 16". How to calculate dynamic rolling radius?
Quote:
What axle ratio are you running?
44/9. I'm feeling a little too comfy on road (lot of usable rpm not used). So, might go for 5.38 (43/08). To see how it behaves on road and off-road. Are there any other options between this? If so, of which vehicle?
Quote:
This type of data collection always helps, hence I am asking.
No problem. Thanks.
Quote:
By the way, UW of Thar CRDe is 1665 kg
The website says its 1750. So, with all the accessories like mine, I guessed it would be a 100 or more kilos heavier, ie, 1850 +. I'll be weighing a stock Thar in the group. Should know.
The Do-It-Yourself Jeep Rebuild - With the Nissan SD25, Turbocharged!-untitled.png
Quote:
Please answer Pratheesh's question also, it is very important to understand why he is asking.
Answered as much as I know in the previous post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
..my first few experiences with body mounting were not so good
What were the problems you faced?
Quote:
thought you might have observed / learnt something new as you DIY.
The tinkered body, didnt have holes, so, I drilled new ones. So, I had absolutely no problem during installation, except my door alignment look weird.
Quote:
FAW is higher so you may have a slight difference in ride heights. Did you check the FAW and RAW distribution?
Didnt check the weight, but, FAW is lighter than the peguot XD3P. The leaf springs and their behaviour these 7 months say so.
Quote:
If your Jeep looks ok in the side view, then don't bother
In side view, after extensive running and suspension settling the front is a tad more higher than before. But, it starts from the suspension, not body.

Last edited by dhanushs : 7th August 2014 at 13:53.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The website says its 1750 kg.
Dear Dhanush - the website figure is not correct. Anyways, please weigh one vehicle physically on a scale with correct calibration and let me know. I will get the dynamic rolling radius from the ITTAC manual.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 8th August 2014, 01:33   #15
BHPian

Dhanush - Really impressive build list.

I wanted to know how did you achieve this "Reduced as much as possible in stock body" I mean what did you do, removed anything in particular?

On the Bolero Camper MRCBT Steering, how are they on your setup? because my cousin has a bolero with the same setup and I feel ts not worthy at all. Its takes the similar effort that we use on our 540..

I am curious why did you go for 15" tires? For the engine GB combination of your Jeep 16" would have been apt I believe.

EDIT: Manual Turbo? and is it sequential?

Last edited by Twinn : 8th August 2014 at 01:35.
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks