Team-BHP - Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/162161-can-duster-awd-scale-sandakphu-highest-peak-west-bengal-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3680098)
I am curious how big is an old land rover? From what I read, old land rovers with very weak engines regularly do this.
Speaking of tight narrow spaces, the Duster has an edge over all others. The worse would be the old safari, with the Storme also having an edge with 5.4 meters turning radius.

The Long Wheel Base Landrovers dont reach here. Most of the vehicles have Mahindra DI engines with Low range. The Petrol engine ones have a lot of usable low-end torque besides, with a canvas top, these ones are light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 3680098)
I am curious how big is an old land rover? From what I read, old land rovers with very weak engines regularly do this.
Speaking of tight narrow spaces, the Duster has an edge over all others. The worse would be the old safari, with the Storme also having an edge with 5.4 meters turning radius.

This is how a Series 1 Land rover with a 2.0 engine will figure on the slopes, however, even the 1.6 will figure positively. The data is to be taken as ballpark.

All the Torque is available at a, wait a second, 1500rpm!!

Besides this, just before the climb, the drivers turn the air volume screw a bit to make them run a bit rich (thus a little more torque).

Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?-duster-lr.jpg

The reverse ratio is 2.54 which will also keep the final figure at about 0.27 which is much higher than Scorpio's 2nd Low.

Wheelbase 88in = 2235mm (as against Scorpios 2680mm)
Width 62.6in = 1590mm (as against Scorpios 1816mm)

Requesting a Mod to merge this with my previous post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 3680000)
Care to elaborate about the Fortuner?

Width. Visibility. ABS.

Quote:

Re Pankhabari: I remember going on that route even in a Maruti Omni van.
The Maruti van (esp the original version with the shorter final drive) was very good on roads like Pankhabari. One had to be a bit careful with the brakes when coming down though.

Regards
Sutripta

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3680171)

Attachment 1357924

Requesting a Mod to merge this with my previous post.

I think the new Scorpio has lesser peak torque than the previous gen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 3680665)
I think the new Scorpio has lesser peak torque than the previous gen.

Yes Marginally (280 vs 290 Nm). Knowing how much reserve I still had, that shouldn' t be a deterrent. Even if it is, there is always that 1st gear to set things rolling again.

Hi guys,

Is the Duster going to Sandakphu?

Regards
Anand

Hi BlackPearl,

I read through your travelogue on Sandakphu in Bolero but only after reading & subscribing to this thread. The following question comes to my mind and request you to clarify.

What is the purpose of visit to Sandakphu ?
Is it for a tough, scary driving experience or is it to reach a gorgeous & dream destination or is it that the drive itself is stunning with plenty of natural beauty all around.

I ask this because, we travel or would like to travel to Leh, Manali or Spiti for great scenic location & mesmerizing beauty of the destination or journey. Yes in the process, we do get to taste a real twisty & thrilling drive.

In short why one should visit Sandakphu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderers (Post 3691557)

What is the purpose of visit to Sandakphu ?

For the view.
If you are lucky and the weather Gods are in your favour, it is the only point in India from where you can see the peaks of Kanchenjunga, Everest, Lhotse and Makalu - it'll leave you speechless. And the beauty cannot be described in words.

Throw in the challenging drive and adventure tourism doesn't come better than this.

Try Sandakphu sometime - you'll love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderers (Post 3691557)

Quote:

Originally Posted by arjab (Post 3691817)
it is the only point in India from where you can see the peaks of Kanchenjunga, Everest, Lhotse and Makalu - it'll leave you speechless. And the beauty cannot be described in words.

Arjab has already replied why one should visit Sandakphu. I dont know which thread you saw, please have a look at the pictures in this thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-3rd-time.html

I am just an average photographer so the pictures might not do justice to the place, but you can get an idea about the beauty of the place when the sky is clear.

My initial ownership review posted here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...uster-awd.html

Most people go to Sandakphu on foot. It's a three-day trek. Beginner's trek. Some people go by hired taxi. I think they go for the view and also for telling friends "I have been to Sandakphu". A very few drive to Sandakphu a. for the bragging rights - it is indeed a difficult and scary drive and I would definitely brag quietly if I did. I have never driven there but I can understand. b. For the views. It is worth it.

I have been there three times. On foot. Why? Because it's there.

Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?-kanchan.jpg

The view of Kanchenjungha from Sandakphu.

Can the Duster AWD scale Sandakphu, the highest peak in West Bengal?-makalueverestlhotsesandakphu26march2014_9749_zpse916863f.jpg

The rare view of east face of Everest (center) alongwith Makalu (right) and Lhotse (left)

The steepest climbs I have done in my Scorpio would be Jalori Pass, Hatu Peak, and Shortcuts on the Manali Leh Road.
If anyone has been on these roads, how do these compare to the Sandakphu inclines ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Styler (Post 3695963)
The steepest climbs I have done in my Scorpio would be Jalori Pass, Hatu Peak, and Shortcuts on the Manali Leh Road.
If anyone has been on these roads, how do these compare to the Sandakphu inclines ?

Is yours a 4WD?
I have done all of the above, only Shortcuts on leh Manali road required 4WD during shortcuts at Baralacha La and Few gata loops, rest can be easily managed in a 2WD vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 3696006)
Is yours a 4WD?
I have done all of the above, only Shortcuts on leh Manali road required 4WD during shortcuts at Baralacha La and Few gata loops, rest can be easily managed in a 2WD vehicle.

I have a 2 Wheel Drive Non-CRDE Chain Drive 2004 Scorpio.
How to Jalori, Hatu Compare to the Sandakphu Climb ?

Hatu is hardly any climb, it feels so because roads are narrow. Jalori is steep from shoja side, but still easy enough for all 2wd vehicles with good gc. As per the information here sandakphu cannot be managed by a 2wd vehicle.

The inclines enroute to Sandakphu are not only steep but narrow as well, as a result the biggest difficulty faced is while coming down. Many of the turns cannot be done without reversing and reversing up a steep incline in 2WD with very little margin of error will be extremely difficult if not impossible.