Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2017, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?

Sharing my Fantasy Jeep build [if or when I get a chance/time/spare cash/universe aligns/*.* ]

Base vehicle/chassis:
MM550/540 NGCS

Engine:
4D34i (BharatBenz) OR Cummins ISF 3.8 (specs)

Gearbox, transfer case:
NGT530, Borg Warner 1350 (manual)

Axles:
Dana 44, geared at 5.38, bolt-on portals, Cable select diff locks - front & rear

Suspension, Lift:
Leafspring, lift as may be needed

Wheels/Tires:
33x10.5x15 tires on steel wheels

Body style:
2 door pickup

Accessories:
Warn grandpa winch

Creature comforts:
A/C, some reasonable music system, a little sound deadening

Color:
Tata Tipper Blue, same paint, no gloss

Doable, y'all think?
Tried to keep the sourcing local (with the exception of the winch,tires, portals)

What's yours?

--cheers, lugnut
lugnut is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 11:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
Sharing my Fantasy Jeep build [if or when I get a chance/time/spare cash/universe aligns
Sweet thread! In order of preference (list simpler than yours and all cars are doable). I like offroaders that can also be driven around the city. With due respect to the rides we see at RFC - and some of them are fabulously built - I'd never own something like that.

1. My Classic with at least a 3 liter diesel, 600 Nm of torque & a slick manual gearbox. Just the thought makes me go weak in the knees. Other than more power for climbs, deserts, highways etc., there's nothing more my Classic needs for the kind of fun offroading we do in MH. I like her the way she is - simple & gets the work done. If you see American forums, there are many CJ3Bs running big V8 engines, so it's surely doable. Only challenge is sourcing the motor & talent.

2. A souped up Thar:

3. Moderator Khan_Sultan's Gypsy:
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A souped up Thar
The above ride is from Mud fighters Off Road Club, Perinthalmanna, Kerala. Owner's Name is Muhammed Fahad, he's a doctor.

Now going along the fantasy line, yeah one build is there in my mind too. I'm trying to get the ingredients for this at present as I had an MM550 and had to part with him recently. About the components, as I didn't get time to get through and have much knowledge about bigger capacity engines [above 3L] planning to stick with commonly available easy to repair motor that still suffice what my requirements.

About the specification, it goes like this:

1. 2.6L CRDe scorpio engine.
2. NGT530 GB, Borg Warner TC
3. Bolero/pick-up differentials - front/rear
4. Fox Coil-over struts - all around
5. Warn Zeon 10s winch - front/rear
6. NGCS 550 chassis - after 2005 model
7. 5 link suspension - front, 4 link rear
8. Hydraulic [modified tractor type] power steering
9. MasterCraft Courser 35" MT tires
10. ARB air locker - front/rear
11. Independent brake system for rear
12. 6 point roll cage, rally seat, 4 point seat belt
13. 60" Hi-Lift jack
14. 5T tow points at front/rear
15. Water proofed electronics with water resistant switch controls.
16. Colour will be metallic Teal green shade
17. No AC, openable windshield
18. Single 22" light bar Rigid Industries - front/rear roof
19. Two 36W cree LED light from Rough Country - front/rear bumper
20. Single 50W cree LED light from Rough Country - both B pillar

Being a fantasy I'll keep going on and on as there is no limit in imagination but for now I'm stopping here. Else the thread will get blotted with my mental madness.

regards,
winsler

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2017 at 10:43. Reason: Removing image from quoted post :)
winsler_srider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

My personal choice for a 4x4 would be the LR Defender.

Just a few modifications to complete the look.
1. Off tyres and rims from overfinch.
2. Aux lights on the roof.
3. The customary winch.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:22   #5
Team-BHP Support

Lovely thread. Since it is about fantasy, I cannot limit myself to just one build. I would love any of the following or all of them -

Imported

1. A Land Rover Defender 110 with off-road tyres, roof top tent, water heater, a small yet functional kitchen etc. A proper long distance touring vehicle and not a hardcore off-roader.

2. A Toyota Land Cruiser 70 series with the above mentioned modifications/accessories

3. A Mercedes G Wagon with the above mentioned modifications/accessories

Indian

1. A Mahindra Bolero with a souped up engine, long travel suspension, off-road tyres etc, manual differential lockers, snorkel, better seats etc.

2. A Mahindra Thar with rigid axle setup at the front, beefed up steering and suspension, manual differential lockers, snorkel etc.

3. A Tata Sumo with all the above mentioned modifications

4. A Tata 407 4x4 converted to a caravan with all possible facilities to live on-board

Last edited by BlackPearl : 10th April 2017 at 16:37.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 21:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. This thought has been lingering around for a while but it took only this thread to re-instigate it.

My idea of a Fantasy 4X4 would be unconventional. Sketch below should explain

Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-sketch106173659.jpg

It would be Independently sprung and would have immense travel. Drive would be with Individual Electric wheel motors with built-in reducers for low range. the Cab forward design would give excellent visibility and the non-existent front and rear overhang would make it the equivalent of a mountain goat..which, incidentally, is what I intend to call this.

Power could be with an on-board Diesel gen-set charging a Battery Pack that drive the 4 in-wheel motors.

More fantasy you ask? of course. Since the controls are expected to be drive-by-wire, the cab can actually tilt forward. Why? just so the driver doesn't see the sky when, climbing a steep incline.

Pretty cool eh.

since the title said fantasy, I've catered to it alone. no highway business. Just in case somebody pointed it out.

can I build it? Of course. most of the ingredients are already available. it only takes a mad-man and a big bucket of money to make this project see life.

Sketch copyright : Self.
made it on my Samsung Note tab.

part inspiration :

Guess I could not resist the temptation to make another iteration of the same concept.
Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-sketch101201142.jpg

This, perhaps, can be considered as a touring version. The basic idea is anyway to have a cradle of sorts with all fun stuff and have swapable bodies.

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2017 at 10:44. Reason: Merging back to back posts
14000rpm is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 14:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
So, the mods done on my vehicle as of today is:

Engine:
  • Nissan SD 25 Engine.
  • Turbocharged with K03 (TEL) Oil Cooled Turbo Charger
  • Mico Bosch Inline fuel Pump (high 5100 rpm custom setting & fuel delivery)
  • Electronic Fuel Pump to assist smooth idling and fuel flow during steep angles.
  • Bigger Airfilter with Cold Air Intake/Snorkel Plumbing.
  • Full free flow exhaust with 3” GI pipes plumbing. Also included 3" flexible pipes to reduce driveline vibration being transmitted.
  • Provision for raising exhaust in case of water wading.
  • High Idle Switch
Chassis:
  • C-Section Flexible Chassis with custom mounts for shocks, fuel tank, steering box
Body:
  • Twin Cab Soft Top.
  • Rear Offroad bumper, tyre career with mounts for Hi Lift Jack & Flag pole
  • Front fenders cut for more wheel travel.
  • Custom crash proof mud splash guards.
Engine Cooling System:
  • Custom Built 24" wide Radiator with 4 cores - Relocated to the rear
  • GI & Industrial standard hoses retro fit for rear radiator plumbing.
  • Approx 24 liters water volume.
  • Ford Fiesta 24" electric cooling Fan with shroud - No Mechanical Fan.
Drivetrain:
  • KMT 90 4 Forward + 1 Reverse Gear Box.
  • T 18 Transfer Case
  • Hydraulic clutch with heavy duty friction plates with double spring type hubs. Suitable for clutch dumping.
  • Alwyn Nissan Cabstar Pressure plate.
  • Full Aluminium Bell housing with adaptor plate
  • 57 inch Open Knuckle Ball Joint Type Dana 44 Front Axle with 4.88 (44/9) Diff ratio with differential guards and extended breathers
  • 53 inch Fully Floating Dana 44 Rear Axle with 1.5" spacers on either side. Also, includes differential guards and extended breathers
  • 19 spline Lock Rite Automatic Differential lockers
  • Lambda Mechanical locking Free Wheeling Hubs
Suspension & Steering:
  • Narrow Leafs custom built for more articulation
  • Longer Travel Ironman Nitro Gas Filled Shock Absorbers.
  • Longer shackles for Leaf Springs for more lift & Articulation.
  • Manual Recirculating Ball Type Steering Box, Mounted in the front chassis cross member.
  • Custom made stronger steering rods & Heavy Duty Ball Joints.
Wheels & Tyres:
  • 33 x 12.5 x 15 Maxxis Bighorn Mud Terrain Tyre or 33x12.5x16 Silverstone Extreme Mud Tyres.
  • 15 x 10J x 139.4 Steel Wheels with -30mm offset or 16 x 10J x 139.4 Steel Wheels.
Recovery:
  • 8000 lbs Mile Marker ES high speed winch in front.
  • 10000lbs Runva winch at back.
  • 25 meters, 12000 lbs rated synthetic winch rope
  • 25 meters 8000 lbs rated spare steel rope.
  • 48" T-Max hi lift Jack
  • Rear 8000 kg rated pintle hook recovery point, mounted on 8mm thick base plate
  • Front 5000kg rated 2 D hook recovery point
Safety:
  • 6 point FMSCI Approved roll cage (Seamless pipes with 4.5mm thickness and 48mm outer dia)
  • Mitsubishi Pajero Reclining Bucket Seats with 4 point Sparco Rally Seat belts.
  • Full Stainless Steel Limb Raisers
  • Custom Snorkel plumbing with duct pipe and Force Ghurka Snorkel Head.
  • 2mm thick 5 feet x 3 feet metal plate on top of the front cabin, protection in case of roll on’s
  • Front Stinger Bumper
  • Raised Fuel Tank with 2mm thick tank guard & Fuel banjo on side.
  • Handbrakes retrofitted.
  • Gearbox and Transfer case guard
  • Engine Sump Guard.
  • Emergency Assist Strobe Lights
Brakes:
  • Hanging Pedals with Bolero Type Brake Booster
  • Pick Up Discs.
  • Double Cylinder Type Rear Drum Brakes.
  • Retrofitted Handbrakes.
Electricals:
  • All terminals, and joints water proofed.
  • 100 Ah Battery relocated to the rear with 20 mm thick cables.
  • Starting motor water proofed.
  • Electric Master Cut Off Switch, sealed for water wading.
  • Engine Push Start Button
  • Helicopter type Switches for all major operations
  • Windshield washer
  • 90 Ah Alternator with vacuum pump
Lights:
  • 24 inch 120W cree led bar mounted on top of the windsheild
  • 40 watt LED windshield spread lights
  • Auto pal 100 W reverse llights
  • 1800lumens LED Turn Indicators
  • Emergency Assist Strobe Lights
  • Hella wide spread work lamps for reverse asssit
  • 10 inch 60W LED bar for rear.
Comfort:
  • Mitsubishi Pajero Reclining Bucket Seats
  • Air Conditioned Cabin with Super King blower, heavy duty custom made condenser and high speed condenser cooling fan
  • Noise reduction on the floor & under the hood.
  • Custom made Soft-Top with heat insulation on the inside.
Now for some nice pictures:
The above was my vehicle a year back.

Now, the changes are:

Engine:
Nissan BD30Ti (180-200bhp)

Drivetrain
Manual Lockers front and back instead of Automatic. Would prefer air lockers.

Suspension & Steering:
Would prefer coil overs with zero front and rear overhang, with atleast 14 inch travel.

Wheels & Tyres:
37x12.5x16 Trepedor Competition Edition Tyres

Recovery:
PTO Winch

Safety:
Switch to external roll cage and aluminium

Brakes:
Fiddle Brakes in the back

Electricals:
Alternator and wiring separate for winch and engine fan.

I think it is my dream 4x4 build with parts available in India.

The real Fantasy would depend on the usage. Like for rock crawling I'd have a different vehicle, for mud plugging different, for sand blasting another one etc..
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsler_srider View Post
The above ride is from Mud fighters Off Road Club, Perinthalmanna, Kerala. Owner's Name is Muhammed Fahad, he's a doctor.

regards,
winsler
Hi Winsler,

That Thar looks awesome. Any idea from where did he done the mods?
Old 13th April 2017, 13:37   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Winsler,

That Thar looks awesome. Any idea from where did he done the mods?
The initial mods that gives this look was done at Red Fox, Ernakulam. Same place from where another red Thar came out with flat roof and hard top with very close resemblance to two door wrangler. Pictures are below for your reference.

Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-211487656498redforcemodifiedmahindrathartojeepwrangler6.jpg

Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-x211487656491redforcemodifiedmahindrathartojeepwrangler5.jpg.pagespeed.ic.osr0flpxr.jpg

Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-redforcemodifiedmahindrathartojeepwrangler4.jpg

regards,
winsler
winsler_srider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 14:05   #10
BANNED

Since we are talking fantasies, that means mods can't infract me for posting this one.

I don't fantasize a car or SUV, for me, it has to be a truck with massive wheels, locking available for all three differentials, and an engine with at least 5000 cc displacement. No luxury, no comfort but a capability that can make it go anywhere, if road doesn't allow - crush around and make one.

Something like this (without that cannon) or the one we see in fast and furious fifth part, the one they use for stealing cars.
Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-deathrace3.jpg

All I need is a truck like this one (Never seen them going to auction though, or maybe I don't know). And then change everything except the chassis:
Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-army_trucks20150826.jpg.jpg
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:04   #11
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of fantasy, for me to drive to office this would do.
Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-marauder.jpg

For long drives this
Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-rangerovervelar.jpg

So i started the build itch with DwArF, then picked Spidey from Khan and now settled with Thaggu.

Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-img_0231.jpg

What i have realised is a standard vehicle with minimal equipment is good enough for offroading. Only when you want to go competing and to extreme terrain you need the wild builds, which are quiet impractical for daily use.

Which makes me wonder... what next? hmmmmm
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 21:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Several years ago some sci-fi wank wrote a funny outer space parody of North America. An alien race comes to observe Earth (America) and concludes, based on observation, that an inferior weak race has been enslaved by the automobile race and the aliens commence a war of liberation only to find that the humans like their enslavement and fight to maintain it.

This is a Ford Bronco. The word "Bronco" means wild horse of the American West. Somehow this fine Ford vehicle got by the accountants and was sold in the U.S. in the late 1960s and 1970s. I owned one. It was wondrous. About the size of a Mahindra Invader, it had Dana 44s, a 200bhp V-8 thundering engine and wonderful simplicity, strength, traction,...dual fuel tanks, folding windshield, heat, a/c...and it turned heads. The noises that came from its engine and gears was music. This is a new engine but the original was the same size and similar in some respects.
It is my avatar, for life. It came out of the box very capable but even today you can still rebuild and restore this vehicle. If I was Mr. Big Bucks I would own a few of them. They are works of art. Pretty and rock solid both.

Heavy sigh. Company is "Icon", a company that rebuilds/modifies Ford Broncos. Here is a clip with the gorgeous V-8 sound. This speaker suffers from verbal diarrhea but it shows you what they do in N. America. This was a joy to drive and it was quite affordable to buy originally. You might have to take out a loan to buy fuel for it, though.

Attached Thumbnails
Fantasy 4x4 build: What's yours?-c1a6b2fe70b074a5344d4f8da822b181.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 14:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Addenda. The above restore/mod of the early Ford Bronco is done by the same U.S. company that produced "The Dog" CJ3B that was threaded here a few years back. They don't much restore them anymore because they are expensive to make and the market is not there.

But they (Icon) do restore/mod several other vehicles. Youtube has several clips of them. The Ford Bronco above has a specially worked 419hp Mustang V-8. It has special equipment and preservative coatings. So do the others, e.g. Toyota FJs.

Here is a clip on "The Dog" and shows the pains the company takes to restore the CJ3Bs.

It seems to me an entrepreneur could clean up in business (without being a sweeper) in India by fitting out MM550s and/or Indian 4x4 vehicles in a similar precision fashion.

DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 16:20   #14
BANNED

My fantasy reappeared in my mind, while I was going through this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...p-compass.html)
Quote:

The Jeep Compass is being manufactured in 50 different trim, powertrain, transmission and colour combinations to suit varying customer requirements.
My fantasy is quite simple.

First generation Thar CRDe setup with MDI3200 non-turbo engine.
The engine was first introduced with Mahindra CL series and was able to ashamed petrol engines by its pickup. A true Jeep with best chassis, suspension & T case set up without and electronic glitches.

Last edited by IN-RJ : 26th April 2017 at 16:24.
Old 29th November 2017, 03:27   #15
BHPian

Recently I came across the website of "The FJ Company".

https://www.fj.co

Surprised to see they are custom building the iconic FJ40 and FJ43 . It might be a dream come true for FJ lovers who can afford $$$ .

cijo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks