Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2023, 15:45   #1
BHPian

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!

Buying a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is a heart-based decision. Most of us internally have a secret desire to have Rubicon, if not 4-door, then definitely the 2-door version. Unfortunately, Jeep only has two versions in India: Unlimited, called Sahara elsewhere in the world, and Rubicon. I had a hard time deciding on a more logical Sahara vs not so logical Rubicon. I have been in this situation before and made the wrong choice of going with 1200 GS, and I paid the price by doing a GS to GSA conversion on my own (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post4207809 (Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200: The "Big Tiger" exploring Indian roads! EDIT: Now on the BMW R1200 GS)).
GSA experience solved the problem, and it must be Rubicon!
The buying experience was smooth, and I got the delivery in a week. The dealer suggested I wait and take the delivery in January or wait and get it registered in January, a valid suggestion; nonetheless, I wanted it to be as soon as possible ��.
I completed the payment formalities on 22nd December, and the vehicle was in the dealer's yard on 26th December.

Some of the pre-delivery inspections snap.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-pre1.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-pre2.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-pre3.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-pre4.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-pre5.jpg

28th December, RTO formalities are done and ready for delivery. A moment I have been waiting for a long, long time.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-del1.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-del2.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-del3.jpg

The first thing was to ride out and fill petrol, a huge 81-litre tank (the dealer had filled in 10 litres, so it was 71 litres for me).

First Refuel at 94 kms.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-driv1.jpg

70.91 litres
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-driv2.jpg

Once on the road, the thing was to test how it would behave on the highway and what it would take to leave with Rubicon. The plan was to take the Nagpur-Mumbai expressway and spend the night on the road, experiencing two new things Nagpur-Mumbai expressway and Rubicon. You have to force yourself to be attentive. The road is arrow straight with right banking making steering possible without any input from your side. Once you have crossed the entry toll booth, put the car on cruise control, and that's it. Boredom sets in as you are not doing anything, which may be very dangerous; if something pops up, you may need to be in the right state to respond!
I did 600 km on the expressway. The ride was good for the driver but could have been better for the passenger: Rubicon passenger seats, both front and rear as not that comfortable.

A total of 336 kms drive.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-driv3.jpg

Back home and resting before an off-road ride.
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-driv4.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-driv5.jpg

On day 2 of having Rubicon, I got in touch with an off-road trail club at Nagpur, Team Xtreme Adventure Club Pvt Ltd. They have a private off-road trail for off-roaders (https://www.teamxtremeadventureclub.com/) and went for a whole off-road experience in Rubicon.
Enjoy some of the off-road images. Unfortunately, I did not get my camera, drone, or other equipment to record this event. Nonetheless, I would be doing this complete trail next time (I completed only two trails, ordinary mud and rock) .

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad1_red.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad2.jpg

Jeep have to finally tow this out, it was royally stuck on chassis and nothing was working. Either a witch or a pull was required and there were only two of us!
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad3_red.jpg
My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad4.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad5_red.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad6_red.jpg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-offroad7.jpg

Overall, I have got 9.4kmpl tank to tank, a good part of the trip and the fuel computer in Jeep is very accurate, both manually calculated and the system computed as matching.
I am hoping to get on to off-road trail more often with Rubicon.

-Pramod

Last edited by aah78 : 5th January 2023 at 03:45. Reason: Spacing, typos fixed.
pramods is offline   (128) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:43   #2
BHPian

Re: My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!

Wow! Many Congratulations on fulfilling your dream!
Your Wrangler looks smashing.
Probably you are the first one I know who took his brand new Jeep to a hardcore off-road trail on the second day of purchase!
StepUP! is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:48   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@pramods!
You’re too cool!
First for taking the plunge and buying a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in India and Second for using it off road as it is meant to be used!
Wishing you many miles of enjoyment and I am sure you will put out lots of updates here.
The Rubicon is a long standing dream for many of us. Speaking for myself, I think I shall only be able to afford one pre-owned (hint, hint!) so whenever you get ready to sell, please let me know!
All the best!
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@pramods!
You’re too cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Wow! Many Congratulations on fulfilling your dream!
Thanks. The realization synced in very late in night, it was day 2 and I have done a hardcore trail with a real possibility of ripping the rear bumper Nonetheless, I was able to use and know all the offered offroad hardware in Rubicon. It definitely makes lots of trail easy unless you are getting into mud and very technical trails.

I love the US version front 2 tow hook bumper, unfortunately they are not available with India or mostly RHD versions. The plan is to see if I can get those 2 front tow hook and get it fitted on mine.

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 3rd January 2023 at 17:22.
pramods is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:58   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I was able to use and know all the offered offroad hardware in Rubicon. It definitely makes lots of trail easy unless you are getting into mud and very technical trails.
Rubicon with its fantastic sway bar disconnect and diff locks and all, will make most trails a cake walk. There is a reason a Jeep is a Jeep. Like they say, there is only One Original.
Sadly the pricing here in India is out of reach for most of us.
Anyway here are some pics I had recently taken of the Rubicon in Dubai and in Bangalore. You can see the difference in the Bumpers.

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-9eb5893ec3e3414bbefd39d067ad3041.jpeg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-359b69fcd6d24924b275b97b6326f0a1.jpeg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-b9c5de67a1f242baa0e72ab7ffd3f016.jpeg

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-cbc1f8ecadfa4590a355e74e0ed68990.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 5th January 2023 at 03:40. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
shankar.balan is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Offroad Bumper is easily available in India as well. That too directly from Jeep. Please go through their accessories section. You'll spot it.
Tons of other useful accessories as well. Although Very very expensive. I'm sure you know a few accessories importers. Should be able to get them all at half the price of the official prices.

Congratulations on the Jeep! Looks Super! And that mileage of 9.4 is super. I don't get that even on the lighter and less powerful petrol Thar!
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:24   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
t mileage of 9.4 is super. I don't get that even on the lighter and less powerful petrol Thar!
Actually the Thar gives about 9-11 in mixed use in the plains. And 7-9 in the hills.
But one has to drive sensibly and conservatively to achieve this mileage.
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The Offroad Bumper is easily available in India as well. ... I'm sure you know a few accessories importers. Should be able to get them all at half the price of the official prices...
I had a Petrol Thar HT till 26th Dec and it was giving me 7 kmpl.

My new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon!-thar.jpeg

I saw the official accessories, official prices are too much Unfortunately, I don't know of any accessories importer, I have imported couple of things in past but as an individual and have paid taxes, still where cheaper than some of the parts sold here. If you have someone who can help please let me know.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

....... If you have someone who can help please let me know.

-Pramod
Exactly. Mine gives around 7 as well.
There are a number of such people around. Jeep Tires India, 6th Mile Customs, motorgarage.in etc.
Most of these and others in Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai and Kerala, should be able to source one for you.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 13:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

7kmpl! I'd be laying siege to the dealer service if it were me. I would check for fuel leaks from the fuel tank all the way to the engine intake.
If that disclosed nothing, I would demand the dealer hook up his computer to it and do the diagnostic. I might also have somebody take a look at the air filter and intake. That ain't normal FA.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 13:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pramod Sir. The Rubicon looks dope & you took it for off-road on 2nd day itself? Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
7kmpl! I'd be laying siege to the dealer service if it were me. I would check for fuel leaks from the fuel tank all the way to the engine intake.
If that disclosed nothing, I would demand the dealer hook up his computer to it and do the diagnostic. I might also have somebody take a look at the air filter and intake. That ain't normal FA.
Am surprised you find it abnormal? Even puny hyundais(erstwhile grand i10 TC) & ecosport 1.5 petrol AT were known to give such dismal single digit FE(7-9kmpl). Infact most petrol ATs(non-maruti ofcourse), even hatchbacks return upto 11/12kmpl in city at best. Lots of threads on the same available on this forum itself. And Thar is a heavy vehicle (~1.8 ton?) with a decently big petrol engine(2.0L/150hp/320Nm). 7-8kmpl is pretty normal. Anybody expecting more from this in city/offroad is mistaken. Only on smooth highways, you can expect touching double digit FE IMO.

Last edited by SoumenD : 4th January 2023 at 14:06.
SoumenD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 08:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Congrats Pramod Sir. The Rubicon looks dope & you took it for off-road on 2nd day itself? Nice

….
Thanks sir, because of the 2nd day off-roading, Rubicon is now getting pampered with ceramic coating protection. Unfortunately, these treatments take min of 3 days.

I don’t expect Rubicon to give me a FA better than 6kmpl, anything better would be plus.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 09:20   #13
BHPian

Congrats on owning this terrific machine. You nailed it in the beginning that we all have a secret desire to own one. I had seen up close in a Jeep camp, but could not drive it. Wish you many happy miles on and off road.
Old 5th January 2023, 09:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow you've owned both!.. quite a rarity : )
Quote:
Perhaps you are the best person to ask then, Could you tell us the primary differences you noticed between the Thar and Wrangler when it comes to its off-road credentials? If any Pramod.

Thank you.
Maky is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 10:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
.. Could you tell us the primary differences you noticed between the Thar and Wrangler when it comes to its off-road credentials? ...
No doubt, both of these are very good vehicle. I can only tell you my experience here.
Thar is more agile, but needs effort and careful execution every time you are on any "technical" trail.
Rubicon, it can do "most" of the same trail without much effort from driver. It can make a novice "feel" like an off-roader.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks