Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hello Ronnie, congrats on your TL 4X4, did you get a double cab or the single cab? Whats the current price of those now in banaglore. when launched it was retailing at 9.8Lacs in Prerana, Lalbagh road. Too bad its considered a commercial vehicle and not a passenger one.

Does it come with a differential lock as a standard fitting?
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Tryting to attach a snap of the 4x4 vehicles used by Taj
Attached Thumbnails
Tata off road vehicles-tata_4x4_jungle.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008, 17:00   #48
Senior - BHPian

One More photo of the telcoline 4x4 modified safari vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata off road vehicles-tata_4x4_jungle_2.jpg  

Old 3rd April 2008, 20:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

You mean Tata 207/Tatamobile, right?
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
One More photo of the telcoline 4x4 modified safari vehicle.

Which national park is it, where this vehicle is shown in the photo?
Old 4th April 2008, 10:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

These vehicles are custom made for the TAJ group of Hotels,( it helps to be a part of the Tata group ) who run 2 Safari properties - Bandhavgarh and Pench National parks. The Bandhavgarh property was featured in the CondeNaste traveller mag.

Indian Luxury Travel | Taj Safaris The pictures are from their website. The vehicles featured in either Autocar or some other Auto mag a few months back.

Unconfirmed info - These vehicles are also being used by Cicada resorts in Bandipur.

cheers!

Last edited by smsrini : 4th April 2008 at 10:33.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

The Cicada resorts Telcoline safari vehicle.

iraghava, yes these should be the 207 platform.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata off road vehicles-cicacda_4x4.jpg  

Last edited by smsrini : 4th April 2008 at 10:48.
Old 4th April 2008, 21:54   #53
BHPian

. The modifications on these vehicles are standard for all Safaris. Last to last year I went on a safari and sat on the last overhanging seat. The driver, it seemed had some scores to settle with me; he made sure that I got down with a sore ***.

The advantage is of a higher view, but it is over ruled by the uncomfort(I just wanted to share the experience with other members, if anybody plans such a trip, must keep this in mind.)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata off road vehicles-img_2916.jpg  

Old 5th October 2008, 21:37   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Have a questions to the Tata Experts:

A friend of mine wants to install 31x10.5x15 tires on his Tata Safari 4x4.

Since he this increases the tire diameter 6.5% he is a bit concerned about decreasing the torque that hits the road due to the larger tires. Do you know if the Tata series has different final drive ratio options for the crown/pinion?

My guess is is that they have to have different ratios for the Turbo 2.0 engine and the 3.0 dicor engine. Since the max rpm on the 2.0 is about 4000+ rpm whereas the 3.0 dicor barely makes it above 3200 rpm. If they didn't have different final drive ratios for these two engines the top speed of the 3.0 dicor will be lower.

Any thoughts from the Tata experts?

Ignazio, I see many of the members of the Tata club has put 31 inch tires. Do you know if they changed the final drive ratio?

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th October 2008 at 21:44.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Have a questions to the Tata Experts:

A friend of mine wants to install 31x10.5x15 tires on his Tata Safari 4x4.

Since he this increases the tire diameter 6.5% he is a bit concerned about decreasing the torque that hits the road due to the larger tires. Do you know if the Tata series has different final drive ratio options for the crown/pinion?

My guess is is that they have to have different ratios for the Turbo 2.0 engine and the 3.0 dicor engine. Since the max rpm on the 2.0 is about 4000+ rpm whereas the 3.0 dicor barely makes it above 3200 rpm. If they didn't have different final drive ratios for these two engines the top speed of the 3.0 dicor will be lower.

Any thoughts from the Tata experts?

Ignazio, I see many of the members of the Tata club has put 31 inch tires. Do you know if they changed the final drive ratio?
Hi,
your assumption is 100% correct, the 2.0 and the 3.0 have different ring and pinion set. As you said, the dicor doesn't go over 3k rpm. None of our friends have changed the ring and pinion yet, and lots are using 31".
In theory you can install ring and pinion from the 2.0 to the 3.0 with bigger tires (31" 33") and you are quite close back to original ratio
On my pickup, I'm planning to change them, I will do together with diff lock install. The final ratio is a bit higher than safari, and stock tires are smaller ence going on 31" will increase the ratio. I like short gears for ideal climbing of obstacles.
Hope I've been clear!

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Old 6th October 2008, 19:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignazio View Post
Hi all,
have a look at my TL over the weekend...

Ciao ciao

Ignazio

Ignazio the light blue safari parked next to yours seems to have a raised stance.this may be due to the larger tires.

But is there any raise in the suspension?

also do the tires foul/rub with the inner wheel well claddings.
i have put 255 section tires but the right rear tire is rubbing on the inside of the wheel well.

By the way you guys are having fun with all those muck roads there.
Old 7th October 2008, 04:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Ignazio the light blue safari parked next to yours seems to have a raised stance.this may be due to the larger tires.

But is there any raise in the suspension?

also do the tires foul/rub with the inner wheel well claddings.
i have put 255 section tires but the right rear tire is rubbing on the inside of the wheel well.

By the way you guys are having fun with all those muck roads there.
Hi!
yes there is a +50 mm suspension rise front and rear for better articulation and a +50 mm body lift to get the necessary room for the tires and avoid rubbing on the wheel arch. Also the rims needs to be at the right offset, to get the wheel in the best position possible. Sway bars are also removed, on mine too...
Yeah, lots of fun... I was in a track a weekend ago...!

Ciao ciao

Ignazio
Old 7th October 2008, 19:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Alright!
So can you give me a slightly detailed explanation as to how the suspension was raised and the body was raised.
Also which are the sway bars which were removed.This is actually uncharted area for me.i'm a novice at this.with this info atleast i'l be able to direct the mechanics on how to do it right.
Old 7th October 2008, 20:37   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Navpreet:

I did something similar on my ML320 a while back. I have sold the SUV since then. This website has a slew of information to modify the M-Class. You can read about the front torsion bar adjustment of the M-Class. The process will be very similar for the Safari except, you just have to identify the location of the place to adjust the torsion bar.

torsion bar adjustment for ML 320

The rear suspension of the Safari has Coil springs on solid axles. In order to increase the rear height, you will need to a) add a spacer to the coil spring, b) put in longer springs.

When you raise the body, you'r sway bars need to be modified and shocks will need to be changed to account for the added height to your body. This means buying longer shocks and extending the sway bar. If you do a lot of on-road driving I wouldn't recommend removing your sway bar completely since it does affect the on-road handling. The Safari is quite top heavy as it is and without the sway bars, it can be quite a handful at high speeds on the highway.

The modifications that Ignazio mentioned does require some amount of knowledge and you need to source the parts. Ignazio's club sells a cheaper kit which will increase the height by 5 cm. This includes a spacer for the coils, some bushes and the rear sway bar extender. The fronts are done int he same way by adjusting the torsion bars. This kit sells for about 150 Euros.

They also have a more expensive kit for a 4 cm lift about (approx 1200 Euros plus shipping) which includes longer heavy duty rear springs, extended gas shock absorbers etc. The sway bar will need to be modified in both cases. Guess many of the hard core off-roaders in Italy disconnect the sway bars, hence the kit doesn't include sway bar extenders.

Also keep one thing in mind. These modifications only increase the height of your body from the differentials. They don't increase the ground clearance of the lowest point in the Safari which is the rear differential. This ground clearance will remain at 205 mm even after installing a lift kit. The only way to increase the lowest point is to go for taller tires.

Since it is going to be difficult to source/fabricate the parts needed to add a body lift, I recommend installing 31x10.5x15 tires on 15 inch rims with a 5cm off-set. This will increase the ground clearance at the rear differential from the stock 205 mm to 230 mm. There is a slight draw back to this method as the there will be an approximate 3.5% drop in torque. (http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_large_tires.htm). In addition as some of the other members on this forum has pointed out, going to 255 mm and does cause the tire to scrape the body.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 7th October 2008 at 20:40.
Old 8th October 2008, 05:55   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Review of the Tata TL 4x4.

motoring.co.za - Tata Telcoline – a one-tonner to take on the real world

I didn't realize that the OEM Limited Slip that comes on Tata Pickups/SUVs are fairly basic ones that work only at very low rpms. See article for details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks