Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 01:17   #1

help me choose

i am trying to a offroad beast... now iam looking for something which can travel lon distances.. i am not looking for a comfortable car but iam looking for a strong thing with a rugged look and body..and since just last year i bought a new esteem vxi
my options are that either i shud wait a year and buy bolero or scorpio

or to go ahead and buy a mm 340 or 540 and get it modded to my style (basically iam looking for the wrangler look )

please advice.. iam new at this
Old 13th August 2008, 02:46   #2
BHPian

Loverboy - If you are looking for something which can travel long distances it does not have to be an off roader, your Esteem VXI is itself capable of doing long distances comfortably. It just lacks the rugged look and body.

If you want something to look like a wrangler then it does not make sense to buy a Scorpio or a Bolero, you will be better off buying a CJ 540.

What is your main purpose? Will you be using it extensively for off roading or do you only want it for long distance ?
Old 13th August 2008, 03:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

You may find some answers by taking some time and reading carefully some of the threads in this 4x4 forum. In particular see:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-off-roading/42497-first-offroading-event-my-jeep-coorg-jeep-thrills-otr-2008-report.html

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...odern-4wd.html

These threads contain information you might find useful. There are other good ones, too, but these may speak to your concerns directly. The choice is between a cheap, rough competent Mahindra off-roader that is not so good on the hwy or an expensive SUV that is good on the hwy, pretty good off-road but expensive to fix and maintain. Good luck with it. Many of us are also trying to solve this issue for ourselves.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 13th August 2008 at 03:31.
Old 13th August 2008, 18:26   #4

what i need is a good vehicle that can go off road and also long distances

i have decided to get a military mm550

however can someone please suggest me what kind of 4x4 engine should i use and how much would it cost

also my main problem is i want it to be a soft top but iam also concerned with rains... how can i make it soft top rain proof
also where can i get removable doors...
the help is appreciated guys
thanks
Old 13th August 2008, 19:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@loverboy. Welcome to T-BHP. I am not sure if you have read the FAQ and posting rules and other general guidelines. If not, please do so. It will make your stay here very pleasant and enriching.

There is something called 'Search' that has been invented and T-BHP makes use of. What you are asking for is not something new and has been answered before. You just need to search, browse, read, understand and then take your decisions.

We are all here to help but do expect that you also do your homework :-)

Dan was kind enough to even provide you with links and believe me; you haven't seen the "Dirty side of Dan". He will write a one-liner that will....

Anyway coming to your topic, your choice of a military mm550 is a good one. It will serve your purpose.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th August 2008 at 19:31.
Old 14th August 2008, 00:51   #6

sorry dude.. i would be use the search now
Old 14th August 2008, 01:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverboy
what i need is a good vehicle that can go off road and also long distances
You cant have the cake and eat it too!

But, if you can manage the large petrol bills, the gypsy king 1.3 (carb/mpfi) is good for off-road as well as cruise at 90 kph
Old 14th August 2008, 08:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

DirtyDan has provided link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...08-report.html

And there are more on the same subject. Please go through them using search function and decide. Once you get your car, put up a thread for suggestions. There are serious players to help you here.

Thread closed.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 14th August 2008 at 08:11.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks