Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2008, 18:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
The steering has at least an inch of free play and until you get used to it its quite scary when you have take a curve at 65MPH. Yes, thats all I could do anything more the jeep would vibrate all its nuts off. Is this normal?
I still don't understand the 4x4 system very well so my first question would be on the 4h mode.
-on my jeep its really hard to engage wheres the 4l shifts like a hot knife through butter? why is this? I literally have to use enough force to engage it into 4h.
The free play in the steering can be and should be fixed. About rattling - It is entirely possible that the wheels are not balanced; wheel balancing is a must. Engaging into 4h should be smooth - no question about that. I would recommend that you take your Jeep to a decent workshop and get it serviced. Do the usual things - change engine oil, filter, top up the power steering oil, brake oil, etc., etc. Get the workshop to balance all the wheels. If your Jeep doesn't travel in a straight line and instead drifts, get the wheels aligned. Once you get through with the an initial service, your Jeep will be fun.

I have owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.0 litre inline 6 cylinder petrol version) for six years and except the engine sound (sounds like a diesel engine) the machine was great.

All the Best and Have loads of fun!
Old 11th May 2009, 17:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

Its a Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Does it have a 4 litre I6 engine or a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Its a Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Does it have a 4 litre I6 engine or a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder.
Shahid bhai, your question has been answered a few posts previously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Engine Specs

> The jeep has a 4 cylinder, 2.5 Liter, 112BHP Petrol Engine
> The 4WD Options: 2h,4h and 4l (More on this later)
> 5 Speed Manual
> No Modifications done on it. Its very much stock.
>Torque: 138-139
Old 11th May 2009, 18:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Which kind of 4 WD shift knob you have ? A normal small gear lever type or the newer Jeep one that resembles a hand brake lever. My guess is in the Jeep Wrangler YJ of 1991 it should be the former.

Unscrew the plate under the 4 WD shift lever and look for wear and tear, if any problem with the gear shift to 4 H there should be scrapping and powder of iron fillings.

Refit and lubricate. Check for gear oil and tranfer case oil. Both can be accessed from below the vehicle. In off road situations when the going gets tough a Wrangler YJ actually does very well in Low 3 and 4.

Any more queries let us know, I have spent half a lifetime rescueing Wranglers in the Desert, but they do very well on the sand as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks