Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 12:25   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
UBS has 50+ SWB JEEPs (Willys MB/Ford GPW/CJ2A/CJ3A/M38/CJ3B/M38A1/CJ5) I guess thats all the models.
That makes him the Pranlal Bhogilal of the Jeep world !! I spoke to Mr. Singh and requested him to participate actively here in TBHP. It truly is wonderful that we have amidst us someone of his experience, knowledge and passion. Hopefully all his work will eventually get published in the form of a book. Until then lets hope he will share gems of information that would keep us enthralled.

He spoke of a wild offroad adventure called the Great Arc and will leave it to him to share the details.

I am delighted to make acquaintance with someone of his calibre.
Old 30th August 2008, 16:55   #17
BHPian

Thank you Mr Singh for this valuable piece of advice. Have written down all the points you mentioned in my handbook. Will keep you posted on the Progress of the Jeep.
Old 31st August 2008, 03:03   #18
BHPian

Hello friends,
it is an honour for me to be invited to such a forum packed with distinguised car lovers.
Yes I am amongst the first few jeepers in TBHP. Those days there was no appreciation for people like us, but now I feel many have recognised this basic form of automobile.
My association with jeeps is over 50 yrs. I am told that we went to school right from day one in a Ford GPW, that was in 1958.
Jeeps were important members of our family along with Weapons Carrier Dodge and GPA.
Since childhood I was more inclined towards Chacha's Harley, SS and Ram motorbikes and his various military vehicles, even the expensive cars in the joint family like Silver Ghost, Buick, Chrysler NewYorker, Hudson, Stude, Rover, Mercury and the others did not attract us children, maybe because we were not allowed to play in them as we could with the jeeps.
My father taught us driving very early with extended clutch/brake/accelerator pedals in one of our low bonnet jeeps. He also spotted my juvenile madness and allowed me to buy my own jeep WGJ 1384 while in class IX (1968). It was totally dismantled and the first lessons of restoration taught. I painted my Ford white and was very proud of it.
The jeep cells started to grow and I acquired two more, one of which I restored for my bro-in-law to be taken to Chandigarh, powered by a Kirloskar RET4 diesel engine. The third jeep was used for experiments, which father was too good at.

I had to leave home for graduation and all those five years, my brother looked after Sada Jeep. Back from college, I was burdened with the growing pressure of the family business, as dad was sick, and I was forced to become a businessman, all my studies went for a six. With the other family business, I started making and selling jeeps for taxi owners from Bihar. During these years whenever I got a Ford or a Willys MB, I kept them aside. My garage was just self financing, and my profit was my growing collection.
Marriage, children, their education, family commitments were all getting hard to live with.
In 1992, my wife and I opened a school in our compound, I closed down the garage, and in a few years time, life started to be comfortable again. All the vintages and classics saw their graves, and what was left were our Amby and my Sada jeep. The other jeeps were not roadworthy then.
When the school was going smooth, my sister encouraged me to re start my workshop and do my own restoration work, and no outside job, as I could not give professional time to that kind of business. Life started to bloom again as I could come back from school and pick up my spanners, pliers etc once again. Jeeps were running and many modifications were done. I slowly mastered the PTO winch fitment and operations, along with the brakes, steering etc.
I started a web site [No longer valid] where all restoration, jeep building, repowering, other attachments and gadgets like winch, air compressor, and so on were being stored. A book called 'Jeeps in India' was started too. Photographs, database, and many more info were stored. My poor knowledge of computers was enough to loose most of the material during hard disc crashes and no backup saved in floppies in those days. I wish one day my dream will be fulfilled, and my mission.......save the jeep will be successful. Being shy of media, I opted to do it the hard way, and thanks to Anjan and Arka, our baby Jeep Thrills has been a powerful instrument in getting many like minded jeepers together with many new comers who have taken the charge.
Today I am proud to be with Team BHP where this subject is well appreciated and my dreams are coming true.
I promise to serve this community as long as I live, and all help and assistance will be offered from me. Being old, I find it awkard to address friends with the names of their 'awtars'. No one ends a post with his name here, but I will eventually learn to survive.

Wishing you all a great time, and I will continue with my experiences on TBHP.
Yours.........................................UBS

Last edited by Samurai : 31st August 2008 at 10:53. Reason: removing reference to invalid website
U.B.Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2008, 09:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

singh saab we are honoured to have you among ourselves and look forward to learn from your valuable experience and expertise on jeeps and 4x4.

Parm (Parminder)
Old 31st August 2008, 09:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Aren't I lucky to be in Calcutta and just across the river from UBS? Anyone who can remember his password 4 years after creating an account is worth a special salute. Add to that the passion for jeeps and the excellent English (something almost rare in t-bhp these days).
Would love to learn from you UBS saab over time in future.
My uncle who was in Orissa irrigation department in the 60s and 70s - and by definition was always posted in remote jungles - had his own Willy's and I have very fond memories of those often life-saver machines.
Old 31st August 2008, 10:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

UBSji, that was indeed a post from the heart. We look forward to more informative posts. I am tolod that you are a store house of Jeep and other vintage and classic related stories.
Im sure we all would be very keen to listen to them whenever you choose to share them.

I recently got my age old dream of owning a Jeep to life a few months ago.
Arka, GTO, Behrambhai and the others have been very helpful in giving me prompt and greatly valuable advice and Arka even directed me to speak to you, but not having known you (and I didnt know you were a team-bhpian) I hesitated to contact you. Stupid me.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would give some pointers which would help me with the restoration of my CJ-3B RCL.
I would appreciate any advice you would offer.
Here is the link to that thread. Thanks.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...-now-what.html

Gogi Singh.
Old 31st August 2008, 10:38   #22
BHPian

Hello friendly BHPians,
In my post last night I had typed the name of my site as w w w.jeepstation.com which lasted for two years before it was cancelled due to non renewal.
The message board has a funny name "Jeeps for Sale | Used Jeeps"
Don't understand the reason.
Please read it as I have mentioned, but don't login as it does'nt exist any longer.
Thanks Parminder,Sudipto and all others for your encouragement.
Come and spend a few moments with me and my jeeps.
Wish you all the best.
There is a discussion 'whether assembled jeeps are better than secondhand ones', in our forum.
I want to write a paragraph on this, just let me know your feedback.
I will also write about the world's youngest CJ3B here soon.
All the best,
Yours...........................UBS
Old 31st August 2008, 10:56   #23
BHPian

When I grow up, I want to be just like UBS, and have as many Jeeps as he does. Till then, I will just have to get by with only 2 Jeeps.

UBS, nice to have you on this forum. Look forward to your posts and advice.

Regards,
Old 31st August 2008, 10:58   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
In my post last night I had typed the name of my site as w w w.jeepstation.com which lasted for two years before it was cancelled due to non renewal.
The message board has a funny name "Jeeps for Sale | Used Jeeps"
Don't understand the reason.
UBS, your website domain has been accquired by a typosquatter Typosquatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it is a business for many people. Therefore I have removed references to that web site.
Old 1st September 2008, 01:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.B.Singh View Post
As Willys jeeps are rare, you might leave it stock and get the best jeeping experience out of its powerful F134 Hurricane motor. Maximun you can go for a 4+1 gearbox and 9/44 tail/crown set which come in the MM 440s & MM540s.(you can get matching bell housings for the Hurricane out of a MM440)
i concur with Uday sir here.
older cj3b's with hurricanes are best left unmolested.

and its good to see you here, sir..
let the good times roll... cheers:

cheers
vaibhav
Old 1st September 2008, 10:19   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
PS - UBS has 50+ SWB JEEPs (Willys MB/Ford GPW/CJ2A/CJ3A/M38/CJ3B/M38A1/CJ5) I guess thats all the models.
U.B. Singhji, You really should post more often.

50 Jeeps is a musem!
Old 1st September 2008, 10:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Uday sir,

It is such a pleasure to know that you would be here on T-BHP 4x4 section.

In my opinion, your being here and sharing your wisdom is the proof of the 4x4 section coming of age on T-BHP and the tipping point for the 4x4 education, interest and passion on T-BHP

I am sure most people here are aware of the huge learning possibilities available through you.

Again, thanks for choosing to be on T-BHP and sharing your know-how.

Regards,
Shahnawaz
Old 1st September 2008, 11:46   #28
BHPian

Welcome aboard Uday Sir,

It is an honor for newbies like me to gain valueable advice from the JEEP Guru himself . I am sure that every member in this community will be benefited with loads of knowledge from you.

Sir, please do post some pictures of your wonderful machines. I would die to see a Willys MB or a GPW. Also, eagerly waiting to hear the story of the first 3B.

Regards

Sabareesh
Old 2nd September 2008, 03:21   #29
BHPian

Hello mighty V 16,
Thankyou for the hearty invite to the BHP forum.
I am from a small time straight four, 70 odd bhp @ 4000 rpm making/developing vehicle group where some special ones were introduced and Christned as........."Jeeps".
Well what ever may be the ground reality, I am sure this tiny all wheel drive wonder is still a fore contender to the world's best offroading vehicle ever made in the last century.
I am proud to be a jeeper, and wish all friends here a great time 'off the road'.

I have been travelling overland (at home) and am sure that what our villages have to offer are simply amazing. Any offroad traveller can have an insight into the Great Arc site and discover the meaning of Jeeping and Biking from Kanyakumari to Hyd.
If the moderators allow, the site is Great Arc - Home
Wish you all the best,
Yours.....................................UBS
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:45   #30
BHPian

Hello UBS sir, nice to see you in team-bhp. Welcome aboard.

Regards

Ranjit aka Jango !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks