Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 21:32   #1
BHPian

Jeep Thrills

Hi ALL,

This is Vishal and i am primarily into fast street cars. However i have been reading about the OTR's and the meets which you guys have, for a long time and it ROCKS. Nothing like leaving the busy streets behind and heading out into the jungle.

Well here is the deal, Me and my friend have decided to build a jeep for offloading. So based on all the knowledge i gave gathered from this forum i finalized on either a Petrol Willies or a 1994+ MM 540. I id consider Classic but its hard to get and is prised at a premium.

We wanted to mod a MM540 like the ones on Jeeps from Hyderabad with the neat paint job and rimz. But then we felt the need for something rugged and powerful.

So, we decided to go for a Petrol Willy's - and add these modds.
  1. Maxxis tires
  2. DI engine
  3. Rolecage
  4. Seats and dash from the Classic
  5. Disk brakes from the classic
  6. Lamda free wheeling hubs
What we are looking for is a light and powerful ride for the OTR's
But it also has to be good for weekend drives to max of 500 KM destinations, With a swap of road use tires. Dosent matter even if the ride is a little bumpy should feel like a jeep.

GTO, DKG, Vinod nookala, Khan Sultan and Arka. You guys are the veterans when it comes to jeeps. so need your advise on this. Firstly do you think it is a good idea. Please add in your valuable suggestions.

Cheers,
Vish
Old 25th August 2008, 22:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Vish, great to see your enthu for building a jeep for off-roading. I am NO expert buddy (especially jeeps), so can't advise you here in detail but there is something in your list/requirement doesn't seem right. You can expect the jeep gurus to see this thread soon and give you some pointers.

BTW, have you been to an OTR before or have you driven a jeep before on OTR? I would suggest that you first go for an OTR and then buy a jeep after words.

Many people, I see, are assuming and romanticizing the fun/excitement of the off-roading/OTR's based on the beautiful posts here. believe me brother, most of the times the reality is far removed from that.

One has to encounter harsh sun, weather, terrian, broken jeeps, towing, regular mechanic visits etc etc. Maybe an off-roading is not for everyone taste. Some of my friends have gone with me for OTR's based on forum threads/posts and they did not like it a bit. They thought it was boring and was good as an one of experience.

I hope you are well aware of these aspects my dear friend. Don't want to scare you but wanted to bring this important point across before you spend your hard earned money on buying a jeep.

wishing you happy jeeping.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 25th August 2008 at 22:48.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:37   #3
BHPian

Thanks For replying Khan Sultan,
Harsh sun, weather, terrain, broken jeeps, towing.. This is exactly what i am looking for.. Before racing cars, I used to participate in bike auto cross and motocross.
Have always had a soft corner for DIRT.

I have also noticed in every OTR listed here is very organized, Every one pitches in to help out. It is a very controlled and a Mature sport. Me and my friends would love to be a part of this.

Our first plan was to pick up a gypsy, But my friend does not trust me with it. He thinks some ware down the line ill get it reved up for a Auto cross or Rally. So we finally agreed on a Jeep. Which is the best option for for us.

I just checked your gallery, Ur gypsy looks nice. Liked the pick where you were climbing the rock. Where was that taken?
Old 26th August 2008, 09:12   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Good that you like mud, muck slush etc. I would still suggest that you go for 1 or 2 OTR's and see the various jeeps/gypsies/4x4's in action before buying a 4x4.

This will give you a better appreciation of what to expect and what would suit your needs. A Gypsy is a very capable off-roader and so are MM's. it's a matter of personal preference and what you are able to do with the 4x4 :-)

PS: That picture is from the Ramanagram OTR.

Cheers,
Old 26th August 2008, 09:50   #5
BHPian

willys

Hi Vishal
1> The petrol willys does not come with a DI (direct injection:term locally used in diesel). The hurricane petrol comes with a carb and will more than satisfy all your offroading needs as your second vehicle.
2>The brakes from a MM540 will do amicably well on the willys petrol jeep.
3> You can safely fit upto 31x10.5r15 tires on the willys with negative offset rims. The ride and handling are good with the combo.Cruising speed upto 80kph to 90kph on highways.(8/43 crown pinion set up)
4> I have used willys petrols in the above combination with really good results.
5> As with any 40 to 50 year old jeep, it will require a certain level of dedication on your part to understand and look after it.
6> Buy something original and keep it that way, arent many petrols around so pls dont mod it into a classic.
cheers
Jammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis-racing View Post
Hi ALL,

This is Vishal and i am primarily into fast street cars. However i have been reading about the OTR's and the meets which you guys have, for a long time and it ROCKS. Nothing like leaving the busy streets behind and heading out into the jungle.

Well here is the deal, Me and my friend have decided to build a jeep for offloading. So based on all the knowledge i gave gathered from this forum i finalized on either a Petrol Willies or a 1994+ MM 540. I id consider Classic but its hard to get and is prised at a premium.

We wanted to mod a MM540 like the ones on Jeeps from Hyderabad with the neat paint job and rimz. But then we felt the need for something rugged and powerful.

So, we decided to go for a Petrol Willy's - and add these modds.
  1. Maxxis tires
  2. DI engine
  3. Rolecage
  4. Seats and dash from the Classic
  5. Disk brakes from the classic
  6. Lamda free wheeling hubs
But it also has to be good for weekend drives to max of 500 KM destinations, With a swap of road use tires. Dosent matter even if the ride is a little bumpy should feel like a jeep.

GTO, DKG, Vinod nookala, Khan Sultan and Arka. You guys are the veterans when it comes to jeeps. so need your advise on this. Firstly do you think it is a good idea. Please add in your valuable suggestions.

Cheers,
Vish
Old 26th August 2008, 10:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Off-Road JEEP or Restored

If you want a JEEP for Off-Road then pickup something like a MM540 or CL500 and build it up.

The Petrol CJ3Bs are rare, and are better off restored.

Regards,

Arka

PS - MM440 & RedMM340 are vetrans
Old 26th August 2008, 11:22   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vis-racing View Post
See if you can test drive a Jeep and a Gypsy over a weekend to see what you like and then embark on the project. After all once you've spent a lot of money you must like the end result and want to live with it for a while.

Last edited by DKG : 26th August 2008 at 11:25.
Old 26th August 2008, 16:43   #8
BHPian

Thanks For your advise on this guys, My plan was to buy a petrol Willy's and plonk a DI engine on it. This way i get good power and mileage.

As all of you mentioned, i guess i will join in for one of the OTR's first and see how each ride performs. I guess that will really help.
Old 26th August 2008, 16:56   #9
BHPian

Vis-Racing, I will suggest you to go for XDB3 engine which deliver 72 BHP.

Others, pls comments.
Old 29th August 2008, 21:07   #10
BHPian

hey guys i just purchased an mm540 4wd recently.iam thinking of changing its engine to something better with a bit more power and fuel efficiency.what options do i have and what could be the cost involved?
Old 29th August 2008, 21:20   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Easiest upgrade is to go in for the Peugot 2.5L XD3P engine or the Turbo/non Turbo Mahindra DI engine. The XD3P makes 72 bhp in the older version and 68 bhp in the BSII version (XD3PH). There was a XD3P engine in chennai for 50K and I know a good mechanic who can install it for you. There is also a Turbo DI engine for about 85K.
Old 30th August 2008, 01:54   #12
BHPian

Hello Vishal,
Happy to know that you are planning to get a jeep and modify it to your needs.
It is not only a good education, but unknowingly you are saving a piece of history.

The legendary Willys CJ3B can never house a DI , or the XD3P diesel engine. You can only opt for a XDP 4.90 diesel which comes in the early MM540s.(right side starter motor)
As Willys jeeps are rare, you might leave it stock and get the best jeeping experience out of its powerful F134 Hurricane motor. Maximun you can go for a 4+1 gearbox and 9/44 tail/crown set which come in the MM 440s & MM540s.(you can get matching bell housings for the Hurricane out of a MM440).

Please look for a Mahindra CJ3B from Indian army or Air Force auction. These are short wheel base right hand driven jeeps and can be abused.

Some technical tips, without any comments on the exterior goodies like dash etc.
A good off roader should have full floating rear axles in the Dana 44 differential.
The use of disc brakes will need servo assistance.
Simply upgrade to 11in.brakes, with dual master cylinder, that is enough for the light jeep
Don't make the mistake of moving the gas tank out of its original location.
Prefer to install a winch.
Should install steering dampers like a shockabsorber on the tie rods.
Emergency brakes are a must.(Hand brakes)
A good and strong battery bracket.
Skid plate must be put under the gearbox cross member.
Engine installation must be done by an expert, to allow free movement of the front diff.
No compromise on the radiator and the clutch assembly specially for offroad jeeps.
If you put Lamda free wheeling hubs, you must always carry the old hubs in your jeep.
Towing clamp is a must at the front bumper, as the rear will have the pintle hook.

I can remember these few points for now, let the experts add and subtract more.
Wish you all the best for your project, and remember we are always ready to ask you for a drive when this beauty comes on road.
Yours............................................. ...................UBS
Old 30th August 2008, 10:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

World's largest Collection of SWB JEEPs

UBS Sir,

Why don't you post pics of the World's Youngest Willys CJ3B and that story to go with it.

Regards,

Arka

PS - UBS has 50+ SWB JEEPs (Willys MB/Ford GPW/CJ2A/CJ3A/M38/CJ3B/M38A1/CJ5) I guess thats all the models.
Old 30th August 2008, 11:18   #14
Team-BHP Support

Wow, UBS Sir! I didn't even know you were a member here, that too since Oct 2004. Finally you have decided to post here and enrich us with your extensive knowledge of Jeeps. I am indeed thrilled.
Old 30th August 2008, 11:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the froum UBSji.
Many of us have heard of you and your passion for jeeps.
It is going to be very fruitful for us 4x4 addicts (and especially new ones like me) to gain advice from a jeep legend like yourself.
enjoy the forum and expect a lot of queries :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks