Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 22:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise

Dear BHPians,

It's my highest privilege to share my Jeeping experience (if not jeeping but jeep building) experience with you all.cheers:

Though I've extensively travelled in Jeep as my father was a state govt employee provided with a Willys CJ3B in the past I had never thought in my childhood that I will become so addicted to that vehicle which I used to travel very often on.

Right from my days in Bangalore I was in lust with Mahindra Classic and I chased to get a closer view of it every time without luck. But it didn't happen till my visit to Mysore road where I found a black colored Classic with HR registration parked in front of a petty shop as the owner was smoking.

Another Classic which was always on my radar was the one parked near BPL owner's house which is located parallel to Cunningham road in Bangalore; it was in Yellow color. Althought I knew the location of the vehicle I never got a chance to even go closer.

And the very next Classic in this list is TeamBHP mod GTO's, I have tried many ways to contact him to talk about his piece of cake from Mahindra stable but that also never happened. I was a regular reader of his posts with respect to the Mahindra Classic.

Though my passion towards jeeps were inside my mind, photography was my first hobby. The interest in Jeeps developed while I was looking for vehicle that could take me and a ladder to any terrain I wanted to go for photography(I really needed a way to shoot above eyelevel all the times). You know the only answer for this search is JEEP.

Thats where my search to get hold of Jeep started along with my passion towards the sexy looking Mahindra Classic. (I was always thinking till 4 years back Classic is a locally modified SWB)

I reached my first jeep negotiation with Jammy (I'm sure he must have been member here, but not sure of his nick name here), that was a Willys CJ3B petrol in Black color and spare wheel mounted on the side wall. I was so impressed but being a petrol version, I was little reluctent to touch it as I wanted a diesel one as I was bit concerned about fuel economy.

to be continued.... (expect lots of pictures on this series of my Jeeping experience)
Old 18th November 2008, 22:56   #2
fk7
BHPian

congrats!!! looks like you got yourself a classic. i am now officially jealous.

FK
Old 19th November 2008, 09:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
.....I reached my first jeep negotiation with Jammy (I'm sure he must have been member here, but not sure of his nick name here), ......to be continued.... (expect lots of pictures on this series of my Jeeping experience)
Jammy is known as MM440 here....
Thats a nice beginning of what seems to be a captivating experience with jeep. Will be eager to see the next part with loads of pics asap.
-Best regards,
Old 19th November 2008, 09:50   #4
BHPian

Hey there, Congrats!!!

I think GTO should see this post.

When are the pics coming up?

Last edited by Swifty2008 : 19th November 2008 at 09:51.
Old 19th November 2008, 10:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

post pics siva alongwith each post so we get to see some comments
Old 19th November 2008, 12:57   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Let me guess, you got yourself a Red Classic with the plastic doors intact, right? How do I know? Your avatar was a giveaway! Congrats man! Do share pictures of your Jeep as well as the entire buying / hunting experience....will be a fun read. Keep her well and she will serve you for a long time to come.
Old 19th November 2008, 14:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

As the time passed without any success on my finding the dream jeep in Bangalore, transfer of location came into my way as my office wanted me to start working from “Singara Chennai” again.

Initially I found Chennai a dry place and could not find any good looking jeeps compared to Bangalore.But after my initial visits to the scrap yards I found gold. Jeeps, Jeeps and Jeeps!!!. This dismal picture also carried a message to me that I was a late entrant to Jeeps as many of them were lying in the scrap yards after broking down. It looked as if it was Jeep burial ground and I was looking at each dead soul if they got some hope of getting new life.

After some more time, I found a CJ3B parked in one of the scrap yard and negotiation started for a CJ3B; but it was heavily modified and got a P4 engine without 4WD … No no.. this is not my piece.

I started collecting essentials that need to be in a jeep. Guys till that time my term Jeep also meant for Gypsy. But there was a slow acceleration in identifying and understanding the variation in brand and capabilities of Jeep and Gypsy. Both were good from different view points. What excelled me to choose the Jeep is the SWB and of course the stealing looks of Mahindra Classic. The thrust was still high inside my mind to own a Mahindra Classic. But I was about to give up my search for Classic as I had already found the prices of Mahindra Classic sky rocking (some people quoted 2.5 – 4L range at that time itself).

Meanwhile I found a group in the Yahoo which has attracted me for it name “Jeep Thrills”, found many like minded people and excellent outings to explore the possibilities of a Jeep. Instantly I got myself registered with the group and learning continued. If people see my very first posts in the JT, they will identify me as a JEEP consultant, as I had so much of information about the jeeps available for sale through my search for finding my dream jeep.

It was a Sunday when I saw the “The Hindu” Classified which carried an advertisement for 1948 model Willys for sale. ;-) I rushed to the thickly populated T.Nagar streets to find the address mentioned in the advertisement, that person who gave ad didn’t place the phone number. Hence there is no other go but to visit. I know how much of stress I gave to my Honda City to crawl through the narrow lanes of T Nagar searching for the address.

Finally I found my future teacher of 4WD enabled vehicles, I should say this again that this Jeep was not a 4WD toy but a teacher who gave me real lessons how to live with a 4WD, dos & don’ts and mechanic’s capabilities.

The very first sight of that jeep gave a impressing looks with shawls, jerry can, blackout lights, low bonnet, roll bar and left hand drive with OM616 engine and Tempo Traveler’s gear box without 4WD being present in the jeep. But I still wanted to own it for its looks and I had an idea to install 4WD later. The engine was duly endorsed in the R.C book; hence I didn’t show much attention to the engine swap anyway it matches to my need for diesel powered jeep.

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-willys_firstlook.jpg

I completed the deal and drove it down to my office as I came to the vendor in the morning before office hours; actually the jeep was in too much of problem pulling me I noticed white smoke on the exhaust. But didn’t know what it meant, so simply drove it to the office. Later in the afternoon I came back to T.Nagar and picked up my car back to home and returned to office.

The same day due to some heavy work at office, I got delayed to leave the office. It was around 11pm in the night when I tried to start the jeep, but it didn’t start. My sixth sense started giving me a sense of negative feeling; but I continued my attempts to start the Jeep. I understood the Jeep’s battery was totally dead and I needed some external force to start the jeep (I mean people to push the jeep). I gathered couple of security guards from near by buildings to push my jeep and after some time the jeep started.

I thought my worries are over and pushed the accelerator to move the jeep towards my home, the jeep went slowly without issue for 2kms, by this time I have reached the American Embassy and started climbing the Anna Flyover. All my nightmares came true when I realized that my jeep’s power was not sufficient to climb up the flyover, so I had to use my clutch assistance to increase bit of power in 1st gear to go bit by bit. Man, the jeep stalled after climbing in a stressful way, and there is no way I could call anyone for help.

to be continued....
Old 19th November 2008, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

to be continued.... (expect lots of pictures on this series of my Jeeping experience)
trammway, Be sure to post tons of pics. as you progress on it, is your classic with spokewheels? and is anyone on the forum ready to exchange an immaculate (deisel) Classic with my white 540??
Old 19th November 2008, 16:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hold on guys.. the series of post going to be bit longer hence more pictures will be added slowly in the forthcoming posts.
Old 19th November 2008, 17:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

hehe, this is one 'hitchcock' type stories. glad it ended well (now we know you got a classic) - but will keep reading daily to see what ups and downs you went thru to get there.

Anna flyover brkdown @ 11PM... eh? cant wait to hear what happened next...
Old 19th November 2008, 17:47   #11
BHPian

oh! I remember this guy. Have been constantly in touch with him during the CLASSIC RE-BUILD! great work SIVA. and am sure this will be a great thread for all those who are absolutely crazy about a Mahindra Classic.

@siva: I hope you remember me buddy, Am still waiting for the owners manual of the Classic. You got a copy for yourself right?
Old 19th November 2008, 17:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Buddy I'm really not able to recognize who is behind the nick bdn317
Old 19th November 2008, 18:02   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Buddy I'm really not able to recognize who is behind the nick bdn317
Digvijay from mangalore?
Old 19th November 2008, 18:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Spitfire Thanks for bringing the light dude.

Oh Digvijay... Yeah I know you man. I don't have the owners manual but parts catalogue, hope I get some time to copy and bind it as many as classic owners have requested for the same.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:42   #15
BHPian

ya its me. have not been active here in team-bhp for a long time. so none of my friends here know me well. Wont repeat this again as i will be tracking this forum regularly henceforth. I am searching for the parts catalogue and also the owners manual of a Mahindra classic. Can anyone help me get hold of it?
GTO. where are you?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks