Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:41   #121
Senior - BHPian

Thats really nice trammway. Your passion and perseverance for the build-up of the classic does deserve appreciation.
-regards,
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:17   #122

Can someone please tell me the Approach & departure angles of Mahindra Balero, Scorpio and most importantly the all new Xylo..,,it is interesting to see that the Xylo has a higher ground clearance than the scorpio..but what about the angles..and how do these new mahindras match with the good old classic when it comes to these stats...
Old 14th June 2009, 20:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Classic and Ramsey REP 8000

My Explorer is again on the spot light, its been months since I visited my thread here.

Finally my jeep is now wearing a important self recovery equipment that is Ramsey REP 8000 winch. I got this winch from Vinay of Bangalore and this is also a part of our Samurai Winch import.

The entire winch fixing operation was done with in 5-6 hours in bangalore with great help of Mr. Suresh another Jeeper from Bangalore. He infact helped me by giving his winch mount plate as I wanted to complete the entire task in one day.

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image004.jpg

Here are the pictures that talk the story
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image006.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image008.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image028.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image029.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image034.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image036.jpg

I spotted a butterfly got stuck in the insect safe mesh, hmmm the mesh is doing its job in the mercy of few thousand insects in a year.

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image033.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-image035.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 14th June 2009 at 20:46.
Old 16th June 2009, 21:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

TBHPians,

Now I'm in the lookout for a suitable Battery and Alternator dynamo for my Jeep to support the winching operations.

I heard from few of my US counterparts in work that the Optima batteries are the best one to be used in the Jeep. I got surprised that they were actually available with Amaron with collaboration to sell in India. So the Optima yellow top model is the best suited to my interest. But i was really disappointed to hear from the local Amaron office saying they have discontinued to supply the optima batteries.

Anyone here got some idea of any other battery dealer or some one from Amaron who can supply me the Optima Yellow top battery.

Next, I wanted to buy a good alternator for the jeep. My jeep currently equipped with the stock 65amps alternator. Hence I'm thinking of upgrading to 100+amps alternator.

Few of my friends suggested

1. TATA Indica alternator
2. TATA Safari alternator
3. Opel Astral alternator

So, I wanted to know the power supply specs for this alternator. Also in addition to the above I would like to know if Mahindra Bolero and Mahindra Scorpio alternator specs

I would be greatful if anyone give some information about choosing an optimized alternator for my Jeep.

My Jeep got all stock settings under to bonnet (Peugeot XDP4.99) if this information helps.
Old 17th June 2009, 01:35   #125
Senior - BHPian

The TATA Safari alternator is 135amps AFAIK. Here is a picture of it on my jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-safari-alternator.jpg  

Old 17th June 2009, 06:58   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
The TATA Safari alternator is 135amps AFAIK. Here is a picture of it on my jeep.
Thanks for the picture and information, however it ignites lots of questions

135amps should be too good to have, what is the nagative side of upgrading the alternator ? Anything such as compromise on mileage, power etc. etc What is the battery that you put on your jeep ?

Could you please post me a overall picture of your jeep's underbonnet setup? What are the alternations we need to do to fix this alternator ? I'm seeing some radiator kind of stuff on the upper portion of your picture posted, what is it ?

I hope the break booster vacuum pump is also attached behind this alternator.

I'm also trying to get my hands on a XD3P engine in the near future. Would it be ok to use the XD3P attached original alternator?
Old 17th June 2009, 07:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

Siva, that Jyobeb's vehicle is completely getting modified. It has a turbo intercooler and thats what you see at the top of the picture
Even a stock alternator would do IMO as you are not going to be winching all the time and All Alternators will only charge the battery until the battery requires it.

Maybe going for a heavy duty battery would help as you had thought.
Old 17th June 2009, 08:25   #128
Team-BHP Support

You need to upgrade your alternator only if you are planning to use the winch for long operation. If the current drawn by your normal operation is below the specs of your alternator, you should be fine. On the other hand if you have A/C, multiple flood lights, etc., which may draw more current than 65A. BTW, the stock alternator on CJ340 is just 35A, that is the one I have. But I upgraded the battery to Amaron Harvest 90A for the winch.

Quote:
I got this winch from Vinay of Bangalore and this is also a part of our Samurai Winch import.
I wondered about this statement for a while. You mean to say you got the winch from the same import batch as mine.
Old 17th June 2009, 08:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

A bigger alternator draws negligibly more power from the engine, nothing you should be worried about.
The Safari alternator is huge and if fitted to the right side mid part of the engine, will not create any problem. If it is mounted on top, like in the Bolero, it will foul with the hood and you will need to lower the mounting, as I have done. That said, the reason why I fitted a large alternator is because I have 2 AC blowers, power windows, powerful headlights and a winch which is on its way!
The radiator like thing in the background of the picture is the turbo intercooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-intercooler-altrnator-compressor.jpg  

Last edited by jyobeb : 17th June 2009 at 09:02.
Old 17th June 2009, 09:32   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I wondered about this statement for a while. You mean to say you got the winch from the same import batch as mine.
Opps Sorry about that, Am I not clear in that or wrong in my statement ? Yes, I meant the same, I got the winch from the same import batch as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Siva, that Jyobeb's vehicle is completely getting modified. It has a turbo intercooler and thats what you see at the top of the picture
Quote:
The radiator like thing in the background of the picture is the turbo intercooler.
Ok, that it is the one. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
A bigger alternator draws negligibly more power from the engine, nothing you should be worried about.
The Safari alternator is huge and if fitted to the right side mid part of the engine, will not create any problem. If it is mounted on top, like in the Bolero, it will foul with the hood and you will need to lower the mounting, as I have done. That said, the reason why I fitted a large alternator is because I have 2 AC blowers, power windows, powerful headlights and a winch which is on its way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Even a stock alternator would do IMO as you are not going to be winching all the time and All Alternators will only charge the battery until the battery requires it.

Maybe going for a heavy duty battery would help as you had thought.
This information saves be now, I was thinking this is going to be a major reason for me to think of my next engine upgrade. Anyway I'm in the process of holding my hands on a XD3P engine transplantation soon. so the previous question about the amps rating in Bolero's alternator. If that is going to be higher rated one, as I understand bolero,voyager,armada grand are the vehicles shared the XD3P and they were/are uses A/C as standard fitment I hope the XD3P will have higher power rating, please correct me if I'm wrong and also give me the power output rating of XD3P alternator.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2009 at 15:54. Reason: back to back posts, thanks
Old 18th June 2009, 09:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

The problem is that when you buy a used engine, theu usually give it to you without the starter motor and the alternator. I would advice you to ensure these two items are part of the final price. Also, you should insist on a Bolero alternator.
Old 18th June 2009, 10:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that when you buy a used engine, theu usually give it to you without the starter motor and the alternator. I would advice you to ensure these two items are part of the final price. Also, you should insist on a Bolero alternator.

I'm taking the engine from Army MM550 and I don't know the alternator specs in it. However I'm buying the engine with Alternator and Stater model with Diesel pump.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:21   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I'm taking the engine from Army MM550 and I don't know the alternator specs in it. However I'm buying the engine with Alternator and Stater model with Diesel pump.
Hey Siva
How much are you getting the engine for???
There is this guy in Delhi who is selling his Engine, Gearbox & 4x4 Transfer Case.
PM me you email id and I will forward the email to you!!!
Old 20th June 2009, 12:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

I read every page of this thread. I can imagine how you felt when you had seen the Cl 340 Classic in the yard, Good thread.
Cheers,
Old 20th June 2009, 12:30   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - for winch application, even if you put a bigger alternator, you must mount it properly. Please do not compromise on reliability. I will not upgrade the alternator, neither will I put "special" battery, I will just put 2 batteries and keep them permanently connected in parallel (both positives connected by a cable, both negatives connected to goo earth points on the body). The trick is to keep the engine running when you are using the winch.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks