Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 12:06   #241
Senior - BHPian

Shift on the fly!!!
Thats a cool to have feature in a OD.

Siva, pics needed asap of the interior. Also, try to get the 2lever setup I mentioned a few pages ago. It will make guys who see this 4lever setup go mad!!
Old 8th April 2010, 12:12   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

If you go from 4.88 to 5.38, then another advantage would be that the gear changes in the city with OD engaged would become less.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:25   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
If you go from 4.88 to 5.38, then another advantage would be that the gear changes in the city with OD engaged would become less.
Thats exactly what I meant, but I will wait till my run on gets over before I touch my 2nd trial of R&D with Explorer.

As you all have known what next on my Classic just wait a month to pass.

The Auburn Gear-High Performance Dana 44 Limited Slip Differential with 19 spline will also wear 5.38 ratio, exciting right ?
Old 8th April 2010, 18:02   #244
Senior - BHPian

Project next..

Before I end up my Overdrive posts with the final picture sets, I wanted to start a new series of my next project Auburn Gear Limited Slip differential for my explorer's rear axle assembly.

Here is the consignment that I got from a Senior Jeeper. I'm blessed with so much of helping hands around.

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-100_2247.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 8th April 2010 at 18:05.
Old 8th April 2010, 19:08   #245
Senior - BHPian

Ah, the next round of mods started. Try this for a few months and put it in the front and get a PT-2413 in the rear
Old 9th April 2010, 13:38   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ah, the next round of mods started. Try this for a few months and put it in the front and get a PT-2413 in the rear
Well, I'm planning to stick with rear only as of now and no plans further. Just 3 wheels of traction should be able make me out if i'm stuck else will use the recovery kit on board
Old 5th May 2010, 11:10   #247
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned, here are the pictures taken while the OD final fittings were happening.

This is how the cabin looked with 3 shifting levers in Classic (though it resembled the old 2 lever transfer case setup)
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-lever.jpg

Look at the floor where I cut open 2cm square to accommodate the lever and also notice the mounting bracket that was given by Herm and the minor change in it's design by us(check the previous pics for the original design of that bracket).
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-bracket.jpg
Old 5th May 2010, 19:37   #248
Senior - BHPian

What is the increase in overall FE with the OD? Did you get a chance to check that?
Old 5th May 2010, 22:21   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
What is the increase in overall FE with the OD? Did you get a chance to check that?
Statistically I don't have data as I feel till the engine run on time getting over, I wouldn't be able to measure it.

Till now I have completed 1400kms after the engine rebuild, so waiting.

But I'm really excited about the performance in the recent weeks, as my Jeep behaves exactly like a M800 car in terms of smoothness.

There were couple of teething issues rattling sounds and minor oil leak etc. after I took the jeep out of the garage and fixed them all now. Wait till another day before I post the under body OD unit installed picture and completed cabin pictures.

Recently my jeep is also equipped with Garmin Nuvi 215T GPS device for navigation and handsfree purposes, Hence the dash board pictures with Garmin GPS, Blaupunkt Music System and FM transmitter with USB MP3 player will also made available here.

Last edited by trammway : 5th May 2010 at 22:23.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:34   #250
BHPian

This thread kept me hooked on for 2 days.
Excellent writeup on all the efforts you have put in to make Explorer one unique Classic.
Am searching for all the threads you have started now :-)
Looking forward to see updates on snorkel for you Jeep.
Again you threads are truly no less than any suspense thriller books LOL.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:11   #251
Senior - BHPian

Hi Siva,

Any updates on the Overdrive, have you tried using the OD in 4WD Hi and 4WD Lo and off-road?

Regards,

Arka
Old 27th December 2010, 20:34   #252
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Siva,

Any updates on the Overdrive, have you tried using the OD in 4WD Hi and 4WD Lo and off-road?

Regards,

Arka

As an update to many who are asking me similar questions on the OD, I must say the OD was good on the road. I didn't get a chance to Offroad with OD as some techincal issues popped up with respect to the OD oil circulation scoop. I'm planning to visit Herm by next month and get some issues sorted out. Hold on guys, I will update the whole thing (Lots of things to discuss on the technical front)
Old 27th December 2010, 21:27   #253
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise

The snorkel, LSD and FFRA were stalled after some technical set backs on my OD installation. As I have done more on the Jeep ODO (47,000kms after the restoration), now it is time for a restoration again

Guys, let me take as much of information from you and I really want to have some interactive restoration going on this time.

The following are my issues and plans

1. Front differntial door got damaged on the last OTR at Nagalapuram water crossing.
2. Steering box bearing broke and the mouth of streeing box where the steering column goes inside is ovaled out
3. LSD fitment upgrade
4. Snorkel fitment
5. Driver side body platform (The three years of open parking with lots of use has already corraded the driver side platform, this was the only area I didn't touch during my 2007 restoration)
6. Wiring - Hmmm I'm looking for more information from GTO's thread.

Queries
1. Replacing the differential door with a new one(after market PMC) and going to install the diffential guard by SwasticVijay. This is the easiest thing I found to fix the issue and prevent it happening again.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010018.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010002.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-picture_5831.jpg

2. Bigger Dillema - (Streeing)

a. Power Streeting conversion
I have been heard many versions of PS conversion pros and cons in various threads. I have a basic question
  • Will PS setup degrade the engine power? as the hydralic pump depending on the engine power will it create a major draw back to XDP4.99 engine?
I have identified KOYO made PS unit for my Classic as my mechanic in Velachery is well versed in the particular unit and he has done a neat job in Gypsy and MM550 earlier with very minor damages to the body and close to nil visible changes. Similar to what is explained in the post in this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1111263)

Here in the case mentioned my mechanic uses Steering column from TATA Sierra and I could see it is not straight and going toward left on the cabin. I'm looking for options to retaining the original steering colurm of Classic. Anyone here foresee an issue with this ?

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010012.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010023.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010022.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010015.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010005.jpg
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-27122010006.jpg

The unit attached to the chassis with the help of a additinal platform that is mounted on the same 3 holes that holds the existing manual steering unit. The pull and push rod is routed outside along the chassis.

My only worry is that if I upgrade my tyres I'm going to have some rubbing effect on the pull and push rod. You guys have any idea to over come this problem ?

b. Manual Steering upgrade
The RK corporation chennai was suggesting me to go for larger RANE steering unit that comes in NCGS MM550.

As explained in this post by Arka (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post1043266), is it the same what the mentioned as larger steering box (NCGS type)?

How good the NCGS type steering box on Classic? Considering the fact that I wanted to increase my tyre profile immediatly after my tasks mentioned here.

3. LSD Installation - Though the Auburn 19spl LSD installations were already tested by bangalore jeepers SureshStephen and Giri Tirumale. I wanted to know how good to use the LSD with Semi Floating axles, is there any foreseeable issue in using LSD with semi floating setup. If not I actually wanted to continue using the semi floating as finding replacement for the shorter axle (21" size) for full floating is an issue.

Most of the (48.5" track)FFRA conversions use Mahindra Van's axle with plange (29") for the longer side and buy a both side spline 21" axle and weld it with a plange for using in the smaller side of the rear axle housing, as the welding process gives me some kind of discomfort I really think of going with the semi floating type.

I understand the older CJ3B from willys were using 10spl FFRA which had OE axles that came with flange for longer and shorter sizes.

Anyone know if any other vehicle came with 48.5" and stock axles and availability?

4. Snorkel fitment - Suggest me a best routing of snorkel duct as my airfilter (horizontally placed paper unit that came in MM550) placed on the passenger side firewall.

Most important thing that I don't want to loose my folding windshield for Snorkel fitment, any ideas how to achieve this snorkel installation with this constraint?

Last edited by trammway : 27th December 2010 at 21:36.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:37   #254
Senior - BHPian

Oil Circulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
As an update to many who are asking me similar questions on the OD, I must say the OD was good on the road. I didn't get a chance to Offroad with OD as some techincal issues popped up with respect to the OD oil circulation scoop. I'm planning to visit Herm by next month and get some issues sorted out. Hold on guys, I will update the whole thing (Lots of things to discuss on the technical front)
Hi Siva,

Please post pics of the Over Drive, and the Oil Circulation Scoop, for better understanding.

Is there insufficient oil circulation in the OD ?
Does the OD use Oil from the T-Case, or it has a separate filler ?.

Regards,

Arka
Old 28th December 2010, 11:55   #255
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oil Circulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Siva,

Please post pics of the Over Drive, and the Oil Circulation Scoop, for better understanding.

Is there insufficient oil circulation in the OD ?
Does the OD use Oil from the T-Case, or it has a separate filler ?.

Regards,

Arka

Yes, the oil Circulation was insufficient. Though the original design by Warn and Saturn proved it working fine for many CJ3Bs running in elsewhere in the world, This particular OD from Herm seems to have loose fittings for the blade channel oil scoop.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6080.jpg

Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-img_6075.jpg
There is no separate filler in the OD for oil, The OD is lubricated using oil splashed by planetary gear / counter gear collected through this blade channel oil scoop. The oil collected by oil scoop routes it through a channel hole in the rear housing of the OD, hence creating a oil circulation to the OD unit.
Mahindra Classic - Jeeping exercise-154_0709_03_zsaturn_warn_overdrivegear_planetary.jpg
Now the issue is that when the oil scoop is not fitting tight or loosens by itself due to some vibration will lead the whole oil circulation to a task.

Last edited by trammway : 28th December 2010 at 12:03.

Most Viewed