Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 11:38   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
It has Karnataka registration number. Wondering from where it is?
Isnt it from the famous Dr's collection. I am not sure its the same though. The pics of that RR are put up here -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ught-life.html
Old 18th December 2008, 11:51   #17
BHPian

Hi Harjeev,

The thing is that it depends where you are getting the denting and painting done. My jeep i think would take a month or so to get ready as the workmanship is what I go for and dont want to hurry things. Some guys do the denting painting in say 15 days time. A good denting and paint job can set you back by around 30-40K where as places like Mayapuri and other workshops in Delhi would do it within 25-30K. The kind of paint being used will also influence the cost, metalic paints would cost more. But i personall suggest a non metalic paint with gloss finish. Matt finish looks good but maintaining it is a problem.

Regards
Old 18th December 2008, 12:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Randeep,
My guy quoted me around 35K for the entire job and he says that he'll use Dupont paint. What good is that.
HE too told me not to go for the Matt finish and get the glossy finish done.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

harjeev, just make sure to ask the painter as to what all areas will be covered of your jeep, when he quoted 35K rs to you.

will the wheel wells be painted with black paint or body colour, the inside of the bonnet/hood will also be covered?

ask him what kind of preparations he will be doing for the jeep body to be painted? what will be the primer, base coat and the top coat? its easy to say DuPont colour, but what constitute the paint and how its done and at what temp its baked/cured makes a difference, other wise the paint cracks up in winter and rust begins to form on the joints.

will be strip the old/current paint of the jeep or not?

since you are paying him 35K, you have all the damn rights to ask him questions! so ask!

randeep, how this UAZ touch down on indian soil?

cheers:

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2008 at 14:26. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Parm,

These Uaz's come down to mayapuri as scrap from Russia and other other countries that were part of USSR. In Jan 3 had come and all three were bought by my mamaji. The vehicles were sold by weight and each costed around 2.5 Lacs. The Uaz that you see in the pics is the first to be restored.

I intend to buy one at a later stage. The Uaz is one amazing vehicle.

Cheers !!!!

Last edited by randeep04 : 18th December 2008 at 13:30. Reason: Correction in name
Old 18th December 2008, 13:52   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
Parm,

These Uaz's come down to mayapuri as scrap from Russia and other other countries that were part of USSR. In Jan 3 had come and all three were bought by my mamaji. The vehicles were sold by weight and each costed around 2.5 Lacs. The Uaz that you see in the pics is the first to be restored.

Randeep04,
Are you sure about the price??
I had seen the a couple of UAZs in mayapuri too, but i was quoted
45000 Rupees for the petrol version and 57000 for a diesel one.
Both were ex-Indian Army.
Moreover, even if by weight, the UAZ weighs around 1600 kgs.
Are you sure he paid 2.5 Lakhs each??

Cheers
Old 18th December 2008, 14:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Pram

When he quoted me 35k I told him that I do not intend to spend so much money on paint and I would like to concentrate on the mechanical aspects first & am even open to the idea of not getting it painted at all and might drive it with a little touch here & there.
Thanks for the info as if I decide to get it painted this will come in very useful
Old 18th December 2008, 14:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@Pram

When he quoted me 35k I told him that I do not intend to spend so much money on paint and I would like to concentrate on the mechanical aspects first & am even open to the idea of not getting it painted at all and might drive it with a little touch here & there.
Thanks for the info as if I decide to get it painted this will come in very useful

forget about the paint for your jeep, it looks nice with the current condition of the paint. and also paint doesnt affect the running of the jeep. concentrate on mechanical functionality of the jeep and leave the paint for a while.

Quote:
Parm,

I intend to buy one at a later stage. The Uaz is one amazing vehicle.

Cheers !!!!
if such vehicles are allowed to be imported into india as scrap...i can have 10 wranglers (RHD) imported into india from dubai at the cheapest price!

im not convinced that UAZ was imported as scrap!!! can we get in touch with the guy who imported/sold the car in mayapuri?

cheers:

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2008 at 14:27. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im not convinced that UAZ was imported as scrap!!! can we get in touch with the guy who imported/sold the car in mayapuri?
Parm,
There is no way anyone can import complete vehicles into India as scrap.
And if dismantled vehicles bought in as scrap are reassembled and sold off,
then the registration would have to be forged since there is no legitimate way of
getting them registered with the transport authority.
IMO, these must be army surplus vehicles.
Cheers
Old 18th December 2008, 14:35   #25
BHPian

Parm,

To be frank i am not aware how they were brought in and by whom, i was told that they had come to Mayapuri as scrap. If you are really interested in getting a RHD wrangler then i think you should make a trip to the noth east. I have a friend who picked a wrangler 93-94 model from Nagaland. He also told me that there were many more there but in real bad condition.

I too agree with you as far as imports not allowed into India. I too had gone to the RHD market in Dubai but everyone said its not possible to send the second hand vehicles into India. Only vehicles that are 5 yr old are allowed to get imported.

Regards

Last edited by randeep04 : 18th December 2008 at 14:38.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

thanks for confirming my belief that vehicles cant be imported into india as scrap.

there was a scam in 1980s, by some delhi based brothers who used to bring audi cars as spare parts by dismateling them and then selling them as complete cars. suddenly there were few audi cars were noticed in delhi which were not imported as CBUs. so this is how that scam came to light!

anyway....i would rather trust a M&M rather than bringing in wranglers into india!

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 14:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The denters and painters are among the best from Jaipur, Jodhpur and Udaipur.
Glad to know about this info Randeep. I have now other reason too to be proud of my Blue Machine.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Glad to know about this info Randeep. I have now other reason too to be proud of my Blue Machine.
hey DK, glad to hear that you decided to keep your blue beast after all the rough times you went through with it. it was hand built by you and im happy for you.

cheers:
Old 18th December 2008, 18:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Laughing my guts out SirAlec, seeing the numberplate of the landrover 1st time, for a second I thought whether this was yours (there is resemblence in the number plate though not in the colour and look).
Naah yaar! this must be the many Land Rover that was sold during 2005-06. from a village called Manebhanjyang. But most were taken out of the country. I was wondering how it landed here in jaipur.

It can't be mine. lolz. mine is a limited edition Light weight. The only one in India and among only 8 in south east asia, that i came across.
Old 18th December 2008, 19:21   #30
BHPian

How come the OD painted Willys has a Script on tail gate??? Is it originally scripted ie DOD before Mid 1942 or hand crafted???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks