Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 16:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Army rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
this is good for off-roading...helps keep the tyres on the ground in certain circumstances, helps the axle articulation indirectly.
Blue thunder,

Heavier rims do not help articulation directly or indirectly. I can understand what you are saying, but itall depends upon springs rather than the unsprung weight on each axle.

At times i too get tempted to go for army rims the primary reason being they give jeep a very handsome look, secondly you dont have to change PCD to fit these rims. Hence for a 16 incher old jeeper this is the only other option if he wants to stand out of crowd.

However disadvantages are many, like 2.1 litre engine will strain itself due to heavier loads on each wheel and steering set up goes for a toss too often. Further according to me the army rims look good only with sand grips. Sandgrips wear out faster and very tight on steering wheel if unassisted.

I sometimes get feeling to replace my 235 /75 R16 tyres to plain NDMS 6.00 X16 as they are so practicle to drive it on city roads with a light steering and on the off road they are good for most situations except on sand. 7.00 x16 are my favourite, but you dont get them so easily

Coming back to topic, the fenders look good and i think is a must on every jeep that has broad tyres!!!:-))))
Old 5th January 2009, 17:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Vinod. I too don't believe it helps in anything other than looks and avoiding bent rims. Meanwhile increase in unspring weight can be severe on the steering and power delivery to the wheels.
Old 6th January 2009, 09:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Vinod. I too don't believe it helps in anything other than looks and avoiding bent rims. Meanwhile increase in unspring weight can be severe on the steering and power delivery to the wheels.
Samurai you are right about the unsprung weight and the wear on the steering assy and suspension but how do army jeeps have this as a permanent fitment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Blue thunder,

Heavier rims do not help articulation directly or indirectly. I can understand what you are saying, but itall depends upon springs rather than the unsprung weight on each axle.

Coming back to topic, the fenders look good and i think is a must on every jeep that has broad tyres!!!:-))))
Vinod, Yes apart from the muscular looks there is not much advantage in the army rims and yes the increased height also helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Hi Fazal, Fantastic job!

Would love to know if they can be bolted on to replace stock Bolero front fenders!
Josepeter,
I really have not checked if they fit on a Bolero, as these are cut out to fit the shape of the MM540/550 muduard and if the Bolero mudguard shape is not the same they will not fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I guess, you got a wonderful deal from 'First Flight'.

As per my info, 'First Flight' is not going to offer any less than Rs. 20 + Fuel 20% + Service Tax 12.36% = Rs. 27 Kg x 18 Kg (weight for one rim) = Rs. 486 per Rim.

I will check with some more transport companies if Fazal would be intrested. I am not gonna do any business, just wanted to help a Jeeper.

PS : I recollected, we paid Rs. 125/rim for Delhi-Jodhpur (800 Km).
Desert King,
Thanks for your offer to help me reg the Army rims, I am aware and understand that you do not intend to make any profit in this but help me in procuering these rims. Let me know the rates and possibilities for about 3 sets of rims which would be 15 no.s in all and I will take a call on it. The brake light in my spare wheel I picked up from a car accessory shop in Hyderabad, will find out what brand it is, as I too need it.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
a job well done fazal. it shows how serious JEEPER you are!

cheers:
Thanks for your appreceation Parm, striving to do my best in making a Jeep what it should be, at our level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Fazal Sir,
thats a nice find. From the pics, it appears the fab-quality is really good. This must be much better in terms of quality and finish than the plastic ones available here in mayapuri (Harjeev, I think they cost around 2000-2500 per set). I would wait for couple of days more to take a decision after calculating the monetary situation.
-Best regards,
Kandisa,
I have not seen the plastic ones but these are very definitely better in terms of material strength than plastic ones.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th January 2009 at 10:58. Reason: use multi-quote feature, avoid back-to-back posts
Old 6th January 2009, 10:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Samurai you are right about the unsprung weight and the wear on the steering assy and suspension but how do army jeeps have this as a permanent fitment?

New army jeeps with NGCS do not come with these rims any more. These kind of rims have been discontinued by M&M. If iam not wrong the army version which used these kind of rims used heavy duty steering system compared to civillian 540's. Still wobble issues were present in some cases.
New NGCS 550 XDB has revised steering geometry and can take better abuse.
Old 6th January 2009, 11:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
...At times i too get tempted to go for army rims the primary reason being they give jeep a very handsome look, secondly you dont have to change PCD to fit these rims. Hence for a 16 incher old jeeper this is the only other option if he wants to stand out of crowd...However disadvantages are many, like 2.1 litre engine will strain itself due to heavier loads on each wheel and steering set up goes for a toss too often.
Thanks a lot vinod for raising the issue. Now an open and short question to you,samurai and others, is there any suitable alloy option in 16 inch category without changing the PCD of 540's?
Secondly, does the heavy duty sterring box (Ranee type) solve the problem?
Fazal sir, there is no doubt that these fenders will be much much better than the plastic ones, it is somewhat evident from the pictures also.
-Best regards,
Old 6th January 2009, 16:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

is this a thread for rims/alloy or the fender cladding.??

BTW! at 5k + shipping its really expensive. Whats the cost of Mahindra ones? they mustt have to supply to the army don't they?
Old 6th January 2009, 16:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
is this a thread for rims/alloy or the fender cladding.??
Apologies from my side, but still would love to see some answer for my question for once.
Quote:
BTW! at 5k + shipping its really expensive. Whats the cost of Mahindra ones? they mustt have to supply to the army don't they?
If you have followed Fazal sir's other threads, the very purpose of going for a fabrication was non-availability of a general supplier of these parts. In Delhi they are available with some scrap dealers at Mayapuri, but quality wise the fibre glass ones are way better.
-regards,
Old 6th January 2009, 16:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
In Delhi they are available with some scrap dealers at Mayapuri, but quality wise the fibre glass ones are way better.
-regards,
I did bought fenders for my Jeep from Delhi and they are not of plastic, instead Fibre Glass.

Last edited by DesertKing : 6th January 2009 at 16:53.
Old 6th January 2009, 16:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did bought my fenders they are not of plastic, instead Fibre Glass. I am not sure if how much did we paid but it shoudl be INR 2000 or 2500.
Okk, I had the idea probably the ones available in Mayapuri are of plastic. Those were brand new or taken off some vehicle?
Old 6th January 2009, 16:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Okk, I had the idea probably the ones available in Mayapuri are of plastic. Those were brand new or taken off some vehicle?
I bought them brand new. I had to buy 2 set with in a span of 2 weeks as the rear fenders from the frist set was stolen/lost in transportation.
Old 6th January 2009, 18:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot vinod for raising the issue. Now an open and short question to you,samurai and others, is there any suitable alloy option in 16 inch category without changing the PCD of 540's?
Secondly, does the heavy duty sterring box (Ranee type) solve the problem?
Fazal sir, there is no doubt that these fenders will be much much better than the plastic ones, it is somewhat evident from the pictures also.
-Best regards,
kandisa,
Unfortunately there are no other options in 16 inch with existing MM540 old type PCD. Hence the rush to army type rims. Regarding heavy duty steering box, our resident jeeper Arka had upgraded the MM540 steering box to Armada type and also upgraded the tie rod ends to that of Armada.

Not satisfied with the super effort required he recently changed the axle and steering set up that of Maxx 4wd.
with regards, vinod
Old 6th January 2009, 19:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did bought fenders for my Jeep from Delhi and they are not of plastic, instead Fibre Glass.
Naren
How much did you pay for your fenders in mayapuri??
Old 6th January 2009, 20:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear All,
There are many on our forum who are interested in having these fenders (marked in red arrows on my jeep), on their Jeeps, numerous enquiries I have received from you all on it's procuerement and availability. However as these are not available in the market or at Mahindra, I too was very worried on how to get my second set for my other Jeep as it is near completion, the muscled look that adds to the body due to these fenders is very noticeable apart from it's practical use of keeping the slush and dirt from hitting your face or the Jeep body especially when offroading. Finally after much going around, managed to find a right fabricator who helped me, after much R&D and failures due to it's design, developed one 100% as the original but which is thicker and heavier in fibre glass (orignals are in fibre glass too).
Made 2 sets for myself and they really cost me something, but the good news is, the fabricator can do it at a lesser rate if number of sets of fenders are more. He says in volume he can bring down the rate for a set (4 No.s) two rear fenders and two (in picture) front fenders totalling to four for Rs. 5,250 (Hyderabad Delivery). Twenty sets is the target for him to start. Anybody interested can reply to me here or on my PM. This thread is purely to facilitate fellow Jeepers on the forum who are in need of this part.
Attachment 85351

Attachment 85352

Attachment 85353
Just the link I needed to look at to make my own army spec MM540.The MM540 in the above pic would look even better with wider track.Guess you are working on it.
Old 6th January 2009, 20:35   #29
BHPian

hey any one intrested in my army spec rims? will cost 13000 for a set of 5, delivery extra
Old 6th January 2009, 20:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemm550 View Post
hey any one intrested in my army spec rims? will cost 13000 for a set of 5, delivery extra
Isnt 13k + delivery kind off expensive or this is the going rate in goa. In delhi you can easily get it for 2k a piece.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks