Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 00:55   #31
BHPian

amazing pics, refreshing to know that a RR is being used for off roading rather than just driving it in the city.
pretty surprising that the pajero was on par with the RR when it came to off roading.
Old 18th March 2009, 02:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

buying a 4x4 (SUV) doesnt guarantee a successfull off road trip! one has to understand the machine, the tyres, the engine, the chassis and of course the terrain (mud, slush, sand, river bed, rocks, etc)

and experience above all.

90% of people who buy 4x4s (SUVs) have no idea about the vehicle they have just bought.

anyway nice to the expensive vehicles of india in action off road and trying to exploit their off road capabilities.

my respect to the brave heart owners of pajero and rangie, cheers to you guys!

the pajero should not have got stuck and when it did, it should have been freed on its own capabilities.
Old 18th March 2009, 09:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

@ maanuj> Extremely entertaining read. Thats a nice ride you have there. Good to see that you have the heart to put the Landy to use where most users would dread to. That somehow is an environment where these suv's can be best enjoyed and appreciated apart from their onroad presence.

I think a good set of offroad tyres is all that Pajero needed to not get stuck in the first place.

Cheers.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Manuuj,

That's a great offroading you had. Was the Pajero so badly struck in slush? I think you should put one essential arsenal to your rangerover - Ramsey/ Warn winch. It sure is a great saviour at times.

Good beast you have. BTW where is this OTR spot.

Dwarak
The OTR spot is close to Hoshiarpur about a hour and half From Jalandhar in Punjab

about the winch sir i have been looking for a good source for a while..i even posted a thread asking for help a while back..

do you know of anyone who stocks and installs these?..(preferably around delhi)

@parm/dwarka/jaysmokesleaves the pajero was pretty deeply stuck in quicksand like slush..all four tyres were rotating freely and the jeep was resting on its chassis..it happened very quickly and it was sinking an inch or two every hour..which was scary!

we had a good tow rope and spade that was helping us but what we are fabricating now are four tyre width wide and two feet long drilled steel plates about 2-3 mm thick that would have helped greatly at that time.

trying to jack the car up was futile as the jack just dissapeared in the wet mud..which seemed like an "entity" with a life of its own!

as i said earlier i had just made a three point turn and had reached the spot where the Range Rover had just reversed out of..the wet sand just gave way and in just a few seconds even before i got out of the jeep, it was resting on its chassis..
in hindsight a little more speed next time!!

@jay..we will invest in good set of offroad tyres and rims and use them on these excursions from now on..the rest of the time these tyres will be used for on road driving..any suggestions?..

..and both cars were bought for the express purpose of off roading..that was always the prime reason but they also do make the occasional school/clubbing run

cheers all!
Old 18th March 2009, 13:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

@ maanuj > I always go offroad with a small offroad kit. That consists of the following:
portable mini air compressor, pressure gauge, D shackles and heavy duty slings, tubeless puncture kit, mini foldable shovel, heavy duty utility knife, lighter fluid & lighter to reseat the tubeless back on the rim, hose repair kit, radiator leak sealant and a few tools. The entire kit weighs approx 15kgs and fits in a cabin bag. Am looking to add a good air jack shortly but cannot find a suitable one. In addition a strong 8"x3' wooden plank of wood with one side fitted with alluminium grip strips(homemade item).

You never know when these things will help.
Old 18th March 2009, 14:13   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
The OTR spot is close to Hoshiarpur about a hour and half From Jalandhar in Punjab

..and both cars were bought for the express purpose of off roading..that was always the prime reason but they also do make the occasional school/clubbing run

cheers all!
Manuuj, i admire your enthusiasm for off roading and totally respect your courage for the passion.

on your next trip outside india do get a 4x4 recovery kit or source it from within india. im sure there are lots of companies in south of india who can help you out with w recovery kit.

do keep us posted on your future OTRs.

keep off-roading dude!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th March 2009 at 15:53. Reason: excessive message quote
Old 18th March 2009, 15:04   #37
BHPian

Hi Manuuj,
RRS is a great performer, it excelled in the Jeep Thrills OTR in August last year some pics
RANGE ROVER 3.6 TD V8 (Tonga Green Metallic) - Offroading Pics on Page 2 !-dsc_3872.jpg
RANGE ROVER 3.6 TD V8 (Tonga Green Metallic) - Offroading Pics on Page 2 !-dsc_3891.jpg
Old 18th March 2009, 16:21   #38
BHPian

Damn nice ride there.infact its my favourite(rr).my cousin in kenya has a supercharged version and we went for an offroad challenge(rhino quatro charge kenya).where do you go for offroading in punjab?i am from punjab but reside in delhi,we have bunch of offroader with 4x4s and go for offroading regularly,now trying to kick start offroading in punjab,but dont know much people.anyway,cool ride you have there.
Old 18th March 2009, 16:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The powerplant is a 3.6 litre V8 Turbodiesel belting out 272 Bhp and 640 Nm of smooth power.
640 Nm of torque!!!!! (multiply that with the reduction ratios)

I think you can tow your building along!!!!!
Old 18th March 2009, 18:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics. Glad to see the Suv's are used exactly for the purpose they are built for and not just a status symbol which most of the Indian folks are obsessed with.
Yeah i also think you are right with your assessment of lack of speed being the reason it got stuck. Desi Mahindra to rescue at last
Old 18th March 2009, 19:48   #41
BHPian

congrats on your RR, the tonga green colour is awesome. Can you find out if that paint colour is available in India, if you dont mind.
Old 18th March 2009, 22:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
about the winch sir i have been looking for a good source for a while..i even posted a thread asking for help a while back..

do you know of anyone who stocks and installs these?..(preferably around delhi)
Warn used to do winches for the RR. It has to be recessed back into the front bumper so the approach angle is not reduced by a big winch protruding from the front.

You may have to mod the front bumper or get a custom one with the winch mounting etc built in. Try Navin and see if they can get you the official Warn winch from LR. I know a guy who's dad is a manager at LR and I can ask him whether the option still exists and approximate costs.

Update : I just got in touch with my local official dealer and its about £1800+VAT (15%). It includes all the mounting fixtures and the template to make the recess etc in the front bumper. Also another £150+VAT for a special cover for it. Also there was a change to RR in 2008 but the dealer said a mid 2008 model should be ok. If you PM me your chassis number I can make sure that the official option exists for your RR. Apparently late 2008+ RR's are not suitable for the official winch.

It would be a shame to spoil the vehicle with a cheapo chinese winch.

Last edited by bigman : 18th March 2009 at 22:20.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:50   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
congrats on your RR, the tonga green colour is awesome. Can you find out if that paint colour is available in India, if you dont mind.
i asked about the Tonga Green colour..they said they import it from the U.K..

@bigman thanks buddy for all the info ..but the winch i want is for the Pajero..want to leave the RR as it is.
Old 20th March 2009, 00:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i asked about the Tonga Green colour..they said they import it from the U.K..

@bigman thanks buddy for all the info ..but the winch i want is for the Pajero..want to leave the RR as it is.
Similar options with the Pajero/Shogun as the RR. You can recess back into the front bumper so the approach angle is not reduced. Again best to go for a decent one rather than a made in china one that lasts only 1 use.

You can get winch bumpers for Pajeros. If you ever go to Dubai you might be able to source a decent one over there.
Old 20th March 2009, 15:22   #45
BHPian

A recessed Bumper for the Pajero sounds like the right thing..also we want only Warn or equivalent Winches..none of the unreliable chinese ones..

Is there any one i can contact for the same?..sorry for the trouble buddy..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks