Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Parm,

I completely agree with the point you are making especially when it comes to paint booths. They should be covered to help get that A1 spray job and more importantly workers should also have protective equipment such as face masks, breathing systems etc. Sadly in small towns it is hard to find such a setup. I too wanted it done in a proper spray shop to get a quality finish but finding one was a big problem.

I guess you could take the tub to a larger town but if that is far away then visits have to be few and far between, so you do not even know if they have done the proper prep work. I think for many of us practicality becomes a key issue and you have to take a few risks. The paint shop is only 10KM from our village so I can always collar the guy if it starts to peel off or shows signs of orange peel effect.

As for the mechanical work, again it should be done indoors but I do not think it will be that detrimental to do in the open unless you get lots of dirt in the engine whilst rebuilding. The engine on our MM550 was rebuilt indoors.

I think it would be fantastic if there was a setup similar to Randeeps mamajis even within a 20/30KM radius of your home. I think Randeep was saying before that his mamaji's place does an excellent spray finish as well which shows in some of the pictures he has posted on various threads.
Old 23rd March 2009, 02:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add this picture. A front view with bonnet down, anyone know what that sandy coloured material under the bonnet is and what function it serves ?

My MM550-imgp2084.jpg
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Forgot to add this picture. A front view with bonnet down, anyone know what that sandy coloured material under the bonnet is and what function it serves ?
Its a thick cotton lining that prevents the bonnet from directly touching the front grill/body where it rests. Will reduce vibrations and protect paint.

This was common in old jeeps. I havent noticed it in MM550 before. Modern cars/jeeps have rubber studs with adjustable height.
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bigman,
Your Jeep is coming out good.
There are a few suggestion here, There are 1992 Jeeps that I have done up and have the same tailgate as yours, the problems I have faced, are torn up tailgates due to the weight of the arms rim and tyre. Your tailgate should have been later model with rectangular tubes from inner face for added reinforcement.
Solutions:
1.Drive a pipe through the hollow top end of the tail gate (full length).

2.Weld a 5mm M.S. sheet on the inside face of the tailgate about 3/4th of the inside starting from the left (hinge side).

3. Weld or bolt mount a 'L " shaped 3 inch strip on the body under the handle area of the tailgate.

Get rid of the step ladder from the centre and refix on the right side as this is where you get in from and the rear tow hook is too cumbersome when you get it in bang centre of the step ladder.
Regards
Step on right,
,My MM550-rear.jpg
Step on right again!
My MM550-rear-2.jpg
Blue arrow for the 3" strip. Yellow for relocation of step ladder.
My MM550-rear-1.jpg
Old 23rd March 2009, 09:54   #35

Bigman, the jeep is progressing well. congrats on the job. Is the paint metallic? I think the colour is similar to that of the mahindra legend right?
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:35   #36
fk7
BHPian

Quote:
Firoz,

The tyres are BF Goodrich 235/70 R16 fitted on the stock army rims.

Sorry I do not know the colour code and brand but if you need I can ask my cousin to ask the painter.

Hi bigman,

I would appreciate it if you could find the paint code from the painter. I like this colour very much and would like to paint my jeep the same

Firoz
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

FK7,

I will phone him this morning and ask him to get codes from the painter.

fazalaliadil,

Thanks for the suggestion and pictures to show how you did this. I will pass on the pictures etc to my cousin and ask if the can get all that done.

Johnjose,

Yes it is metallic, it looks quite similar to a number of colours, Jeep green, LR Galway green as well as the Legend.

Testdrive.

Thanks for the help with the cotton question. I guess we can always replace with the rubber you mentioned at a later stage.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
fazalaliadil,

Thanks for the suggestion and pictures to show how you did this. I will pass on the pictures etc to my cousin and ask if the can get all that done.
Bigman, Make sure you fit the spare wheel on the rear hatch before making any permanent changes/modification. I got a frame installed on my MM550 for better support to the spare wheel. Later when we put the wheel (235/70R16) it was touching the tow hook... so the tow hook had to be lowered.
Old 23rd March 2009, 18:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

FK7,

Colour is Henna Green from Dupont

He said the following codes might help : MO807 and Colour Code : 60H when mixing on the computer.

Thanks Testdrive, will ear that in mind.

fazalaliadil,

Any chance os some pictures of the internal reinforcement.
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:49   #40
fk7
BHPian

thanks bigman, i will use the codes

firoz
Old 5th April 2009, 19:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

No pictures as of yet but my MM550 has now migrated from the workshop(s) to its new home.

We bought on 03 February this year so thats about 2 months for the refurbishment (full). Still needs a handbrake fitting but will get that done later as otherwise it would have stood at the mechanics for another few weeks (if his previous workrate is anything to go by).

I will post pictures when I get them.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Some more pictures.

Just a few teething problems to sort out but near enough everything done.

Going to put bigger Hella fogs on the front and sort out the yellow detailing on the back (change to red). Also need to put some front shackles on but might change to a UK military spec shackle bracket/receiver. The back hatch will be changed to new type and light protectors fitted on front lights. Need to fit the wiper motor, mechanism, seat belts and handbrake.

My MM550-jeepnow1.jpg
The ground slopes hence why the Jeep looks a bit tilted.

My MM550-jeep2.jpg
Free wheel hubs have been fitted.
My MM550-jeep3.jpg
Hood was made locally for RS2K, will change the location of the rear number plate but looks limited for space on the back now. The black out lights are functional.
My MM550-jeep4.jpg
Thats my nephew who's reflection you can see . He refuses to travel in any other vehicle now and likes to sit in the Jeep.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2009 at 15:55. Reason: Numberplates blanked on request.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy,
Your jeep looks very nice.
3 cheers to you, what a fine restoration.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 17th April 2009, 21:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Starter, all remote managed from UK as well. Email is a fantastic when you want to show people what you want doing in India. I used to email pictures/diagrams etc over to my cousin.

My dad went over for about 3 weeks and that was when most of the work was done, he practically visited the workshop every day to get as much finished as he could, otherwise I think the mechanic would still be tinkering with the engine and the paint shop guy playing with the tub. Also Harjeev provided a lot of useful help and guidance over the phone which was very much appreciated.

Last edited by bigman : 17th April 2009 at 21:46.
Old 17th April 2009, 21:38   #45
BHPian

Wow, Nice jeep, looks brand new, congrats..

Last edited by Aston.Martin : 17th April 2009 at 21:40. Reason: wanted to add more

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks