Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 21:22   #16
BHPian

So what do you suggest should be done???

I guess all these parts will need to be replaced. Any idea on the aprox cost of these parts. The bonnet will need a touch up job too. as i can make out.
Is it too much of a pain. I have seen many people buying jeeps in totally rusted condition on Team BHP. How does this rank on that part. Plus my most major concern.
Will the Mumbai RTO let me run a 22 year old vehicle on city roads
Old 29th March 2009, 23:33   #17
BHPian

Hi dude,
1>The front bumper seems to have too much space between the grill and bumper.
2> That kinda makes me think this is a chop job.
3> The international tractor engine is kinda passe ,nothing great to drive.
4> The position of the front shackle perches seems to suggest a chope job.
Please ascertain that the chassis and the papers are genuine. All short chassis came with 203cm(80 inch) wheel base.
Please refer the same picture to Mr Behram so the authenticity of the short chassis can be ascertained.
The are hordes of people out there who are chopping medium chassis jeeps to short chassis ones and passing it to unsuspecting customers.
This is huge safety issue and one needs to really look into it when buying a short chassis jeep.
Cheers
Jammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Hi All,

I visited the guy again. This time in broad daylight to be able to get some pics of the jeep.

I would reiterate that I am not an expert of jeeps. But frankly I think that the jeep is in pretty
good conition. Plus the person has agreed for a full body red paint and an engine + gearbox transplant.
He is the 3rd owner of the jeep and as such is open to negotiation. The jeep at present has the normal
engine + gearbox(3 forward + 1 reverse) and not Peugeot engine + gearbox(4 forward + 1 reverse) as per
what he has told me. I and my friend have taken loads of pictures which are attached here. Please have
a look and see what all we can ask to be done. To my pleasant surprise I see the body is in very good
condition for a 22 year old vehicle. Not too much rust either. The tyres too will be changed.

So guys Please suggest what can i do next.

PS: I have told him that many of my friends are also looking for jeeps and he has agreed to help me and
my friends (read interested fellow BHPians ). So I urge you to please help me in getting this into a
good conndition. I guess if GTO can provide me with a good mechanic to do a full inspection of the jeep,
then i would be able to realise my dream of having a jeep.

Cheers,
Motorheadinc
Old 30th March 2009, 13:37   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pick it up as a project vehicle; just be prepared to spend on repair & restoration.

I suggest you get in touch with Milestone @ 2418.1283 / 2418.1291 and have them evaluate the Jeep. They'd be your best bet in Mumbai for repairs / maintenance too.

Quote:
Plus the person has agreed for a full body red paint and an engine + gearbox transplant.
What engine? What gearbox?
Old 30th March 2009, 14:18   #19
BHPian

to the Peugeot engine and greabox. I will contact this person too. Thanks for the Info GTO.
Old 30th March 2009, 15:46   #20
BHPian

Hi Motorhead,
I can see the Black jeep has the entire front floorboard remade. The holes for the pedals tell you the entire tale. Since you did not post any pictures of how the hat channels under the body look like, its going to be difficult to make out if the floor is sturdy enough and is going to last long. Neither do i see any pictures of the rest of the body tub(rear seats area) to tell you anything about it.The front wirefall (right behind the battery) is all but rusted, and most probably covered by a sheet from the inside. With these few photographs of the body its difficult to make out if the body's good. As for the chassis, check out if all the suspensions hangers are rivetted to the chassis or bolted or just welded, because as stock from the factory they are just riveted and its only bolted or welded if its been repaired after an accident. Also the second cross-member of the chassis(the one below the radiator) does look like it was bashed up and re-welded. Don't care much for the rear end since i can see it has already been torn apart and welded on new mounts to the outside of the frame rails, as it is a popular mod all over India. It though does look like a minor least-expensive shoddy make-up was done to the jeep to cover up the rusted parts, so it can be sold
I would not worry much about things like the front mudguards, the windscreen, the hood, or the tailgate, since they can always be replaced, but the body and chassis is difficult, so thats what you have to concentrate on besides the Powertrain.
As for the blue jeep, there are absolutely no pictures of any part of the body tub, neither the chassis, to comment anything about it.
Take care,
Bonghead
Old 30th March 2009, 17:29   #21
BHPian

Thanks brutus,

I think i have a couple of more pictures left of the rear tub. Will upload them once i reach back home. On the flipside. We are not looking for the blue jeep as it doesnt look as appealing as the black one (its a long wheelbase). The engine from the blue jeep is the one he may plonk into the black one if asked for. So those pics were just for reference per se. How do you rate the engines on economy, trouble free and easily repairable ?
Old 30th March 2009, 17:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

DEAR MOTORHEADINC - PLEASE DO NOT BUY ANY OF THE ABOVE VEHICLES. I MEAN IT. NO EXCEPTIONS. DO NOT RELAX THIS NEED OF MINE OR YOU WILL REPENT IT. REASONS ARE AS FOLLOWS.

The first vehicle (black) has the MD2350 IDI engine which is now totally obsolete. The chassis is not original 80" wheel base as it has outriggers for the rear axle spring mountings which means that the rear axle has 51" track. The fuel tank is at the back so this means a higher chassis overhang as compared to the CL340. The body tub is of CL340 but it is pre-1994 as the accelerator has the cable going below the floor. See the routing of the accelerator cable. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. At best this is a "khichdi" vehicle which will not give you any value for your money. It seems to be one of the prototypes purchased from the plant as scrap and then all sorts of things are done to it. It seems to be the Iran chassis converted to RHD. The Pgugeot XDP4.90 engine vehicle's photographs are sketchy at best. Please do not spend your hard earned money on such lemons.

Please PM me for more details. Please give me the registration numbers of both vehicles as well as your mobile number in your PM. I remember many registration numbers and will co-ordinate immediately if familiar. I will contact you on your mobile.

If you really want to buy a real Jeep, just wait and see -----.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

cc: Dear MM440 - thanks for mentioning my name. I appreciate and feel nice.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:54   #23
BHPian

Dear Behram,
I have read a lot of your previous posts and will definitely go by what you said. Neither of the jeeps will be bought.

A PM is coming your way..

Thanks a ton.
Cheers,
MHI
Old 30th March 2009, 18:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The accelerator linkage of the blue vehicle defies all logic and the laws of applied mechanics. Please see all the photographs in detail and you can have a good laugh. So now you all know what trash garages churn out. I am happy.

PLEASE DO NOT PAY GOOD MONEY TO SPOIL YOUR VEHICLE. I HAVE MENTIONED THIS UMPTEEN NUMBER OF TIMES IN MANY POSTS.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th March 2009, 18:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

Do not even think of buying this thing. its been totally buggered up, and not worth restoring. Just go get a better jeep instead!
Old 1st April 2009, 14:18   #26
BHPian

Hi Motorhead,

I was in a similar position of trying to get myself a capable offroader. Being a second vehicle for me, Budget was always a constraint. One thing I was told by experts here and I learnt myself, was to be patient and wait for the right vehicle to come across. Know enough about the vehicle before taking the plunge. And if you try and search hard, you might find the right machince within your budget.
I was initially looking to get myself an MM 540/550 and my search yielded this vehicle.

A 2003 specimen, maintained really well. abt 88,000 Kms on the odo
This could be a reference for you to check the vehicle you are looking for. The gurus can comment if there is something out of place
There was another vehicle metioned in the forum, mentioned By Akeel(could't locate the link), which was in very good condition.
I'll let the snaps do the talking
Old 2nd April 2009, 00:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The accelerator linkage of the blue vehicle defies all logic and the laws of applied mechanics. Please see all the photographs in detail and you can have a good laugh. So now you all know what trash garages churn out. I am happy.
Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Lol, you hav'nt seen what they do with the Dabwalli jeeps yet. And if question them, right back comes the answer,and its called Japanese Tech,lol. These guys have even build showroom dealerships for selling them.
There's this friend of mine from from the south who comes here to buy the trashcans and sells thems there for about a lakh more. He was looking for someone who could send these Jeeps?? without him coming here to pick them up every time he needed them. He asked me, but i declined, but these dealers, ever ready to sell these moving time-bombs, were willing to do just that, that too for only 12000 buck more(just the fuel costs 6-7000bucks).
Old 13th September 2009, 00:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well this one i see everyday parked outside a garage for months. Today i took time and asked the garage owner for the same. He says he has some bill pending on it.
If battery is plonked its still in running condition. body is in a sorry state. T-case is missing.

Need advice on buying a jeep! Edit : Detailed pics added.-11092009368-medium.jpg

Need advice on buying a jeep! Edit : Detailed pics added.-11092009372-medium.jpg

Need advice on buying a jeep! Edit : Detailed pics added.-11092009373-medium.jpg

Need advice on buying a jeep! Edit : Detailed pics added.-11092009374-medium.jpg
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

In the first black vehicle I noticed there were six lights on the dial. Its three usually right?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks