Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2009, 19:41   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazius View Post

Secondly there are a lot of industries that provide employment to a lot of people like tobacco, alcohol, drugs,prostitution etc so that does not make them right. Again everyone has a right to choose what they want to do.

I really dont get the comparison, are you saying that making/being involved in making D jeeps is equivalent to having bad habbits such tobacco, alchohol..etc. Are you saying that people doing such work are not doing the right thing by building a D jeep ?
Old 8th July 2009, 20:27   #17
BHPian

HAHAHA I knew someone would say something about that. Its just an extreme example. The guy says its a major employment source for people in the area hence it is good thing to be doing. So i gave examples of other and much larger sources of employment and by that argument they are good too thats all.

Smoking and Drinking are not "bad" habits atleast not for me they're just unhealthy
Old 9th July 2009, 11:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Also one should not undermine the fact that Dabwali and around areas being located in a area of majorly unproductive soil the jeep market it is a huge EMPLOYMENT source for the people of the area.
Hi Beg to differ on the above statement. Who has told you that the soil near Dabwali is unproductive?

Dabwali fall in the high yielding cotton belt. And the soil is also good for citrus fruits like Malta and Kinnu's.

Its not because of unproductive soil that people from around Dabwali are making these Jeeps. I remember about 15 yrs back there were only a few mechanics who would do Jeeps and that too convert petrol engines into diesel engines. Later when the imported engines made way into Indian market through Mayapuri they started replacing the petrols with Isuzus, toyotas and nissans. There was a market for the Jeeps and so more and more people ventured into this business. Many youngsters from the villages do not want to work at a farm and so Dabwali is a good option.

I personally have nothing against the Dabwali jeeps but its sad to see Cj3b's being destroyed and made into a Jeep that does not have an identity. Soon the 3B's will be hard to find.

Cheers !!!!!!!!

Last edited by randeep04 : 9th July 2009 at 12:10.
Old 9th July 2009, 12:46   #19
BHPian

Randeep correct me if i am wrong!!
Cotton is one of the most difficult crop to grow, lot of manual labour involved throughout its life cycle, e.g weeding in scorching sun and you cannot grow cotton through out the year, its only in summers and one crop a year doesn't help you survive if you have less then 10 acre of land.(building a jeep in a garage is much better option)
Moreover fruits are not pickup by government from dana mandi, you yourself have to find buyers. Yes, if you are rich and you have patience/money to wait for couple of years for the orchid to start producing and have links and awareness to sell the produce you might make money but not everyone is blessed.

Also problem of saim if you have heard ( i know it used to exist in malout), it is getting better now with state govt spending money on creating drains and stuff.

Amar

Last edited by Amar82 : 9th July 2009 at 12:48.
Old 9th July 2009, 13:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Randeep correct me if i am wrong!!
Cotton is one of the most difficult crop to grow, lot of manual labour involved throughout its life cycle, e.g weeding in scorching sun and you cannot grow cotton through out the year, its only in summers and one crop a year doesn't help you survive if you have less then 10 acre of land.(building a jeep in a garage is much better option)
Moreover fruits are not pickup by government from dana mandi, you yourself have to find buyers. Yes, if you are rich and you have patience/money to wait for couple of years for the orchid to start producing and have links and awareness to sell the produce you might make money but not everyone is blessed.

Also problem of saim if you have heard ( i know it used to exist in malout), it is getting better now with state govt spending money on creating drains and stuff.

Amar
As I mentioned earlier, The soil is not unproductive. Its just that people do not want to do farming anymore and hence easier options are explored. In a year two crops are cultivated, Cotton is just one of the crops grown there and wheat being the other. I agree with you when you say there are no mandis for kinnu's and maltas but then its not required as the buyers pick them up from the bagh itself. I do know what saim means and we are facing it at our village near Hisar. In Malout now things are better because of the saim nalas.

My earlier statement was made just for one reason that its not because of the unproductive soil that people went into making Jeeps. The concept of the bonnet cut Jeeps clicked and hence everyone went into mass production. People found it easier making Jeeps rather than working all day in the farm. Returns were also very good. I belong to Dabra, Hisar and my naanka is TejaKhera so in both places villagers want to move out and work in cities.

Cheers !!!!!

A
Old 9th July 2009, 13:25   #21
BHPian

Randeep, i knew you had a village background looking at your haveli pics in one of the thread. They were really nice, reminded me of our haveli (now in ruins) as nobody maintained it after my great grand dad.

Amar
Old 9th July 2009, 13:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Randeep, i knew you had a village background looking at your haveli pics in one of the thread. They were really nice, reminded me of our haveli (now in ruins) as nobody maintained it after my great grand dad.

Amar
Hi Amar,

Even ours was in a bad shape but we got it renovated in early 2006. Because of the saim we still need to get the haveli white washed every 2-3 months.

Cheers !!!
Old 9th July 2009, 15:15   #23
BHPian

Mods I understand this is off topic so if you feel this does not belong here please delete this post.

SirAlec my apologies for dragging this thread into this discussion.

Quote:
Hi Beg to differ on the above statement. Who has told you that the soil near Dabwali is unproductive?

Dabwali fall in the high yielding cotton belt. And the soil is also good for citrus fruits like Malta and Kinnu's.
Randeep, while i agree with you on the cotton belt part I still beg to differ with you on the high yield cotton part. Cotton is one of the most risky crops that one can grow heat, rain etc any small change and the crop is dead. If one hits a bumper crop it is awesome but most of the times something or the other goes wrong. If my memory serves me right the 2007 crop was killed by heat wave, 2008 by water logging and I think 2009 story is not any different. Also the cultivated area under cotton in Punjab has been steadily declining because of better MSP on paddy and fear of pest attacks. If you follow the THE TRIBUNE you can read all this on regular basis alternatively you can google for this info.

Now coming to the soil part the more south you go in Punjab the composition of the soils starts changing and leaning more and more towards sandy soils in contrast to rich and productive alluvial soils and the drainage system starts crumbling. Thats why you tube well bores almost have gone down to like 500 feet in comparison to 300 feet and I personally know some one who has a tube well bore at 200 feet in central Punjab.

If you still dont understand what I am talking about here are a few maps that show some stats about Punjab soils and vegetation. Look for the stats towards the south side.

Again I am not saying that BECAUSE the soil is bad the jeep industry came up, all I am saying is that it is a source of supplemental income and alternate source of employment.
Attached Thumbnails
Couple of GPW!!-soils_map.jpg  

Couple of GPW!!-irrg_water.jpg  

Couple of GPW!!-ground_water_dev.jpg  

Couple of GPW!!-rainfall_map.jpg  

Couple of GPW!!-land_forms.jpg  

Old 9th July 2009, 15:29   #24
BHPian

Bailee_Jatt_Boy;1377156]

Again I am not saying that BECAUSE the soil is bad the jeep industry came up, all I am saying is that it is a source of supplemental income and alternate source of employment.[/quote]

Thats what I said, Its not only to do with soil. Its because there was a demand for Jeeps and so people found it as an easier and comfortable switch. People want to move to cities and try their luck elsewhere. Here the heard mentality prevailed and everyone got into Jeep making.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:32   #25
BANNED

Looking at the contraptions they are rolling out i could have bee happier if they grew cotton.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:02   #26
BHPian

don't know whether to post here or not, but look what i found parked infront of TATA showroom in Kannur. It was raining so heavily i couldn't talk to any one regarding the whereabouts of this GPW ( i think it is !!). know its a LHD from the scissor type stearing connectors .

going there on monday for the test drive of Punto will update the whereabouts then
Attached Thumbnails
Couple of GPW!!-image_053.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks