Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 17:28   #31
BHPian

Hi Spike,

Is their any difference to identify between NGCS, cause the one shown by you in the picture seems to be in all the jeeps. After your post, i have observed almost all the jeeps which pass by and can see the same config in all the jeeps. So it is making the matter more confusing. Could you please highlight any other potential difference to identify a NGCS.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:51   #32
BHPian

I am no expert, but sharing whatever I know..maybe wrong too.
The old chasis was a "C" section. In NGCS, the chasis is box type and the cross member under the front grille is replaced by a closed "C" section and has a hole towards the right side for the steering joint (guess its the Open Knuckle Ball Joint -OKBJ) one. I know that Arka has done similar modification on his jeep to reduce the steering effort.

Last edited by jeeva : 26th July 2010 at 17:55.
Old 9th July 2011, 20:04   #33
BHPian

Re: Identifying Gypsy and Mahindra models?

Few queries from my side too , MM550 was it only for the Army or did Mahindra bring out civilians as well ? In a post above MM540 was said to be a civilian only vehicle , but I have seen some ads of MM540 called as a "ex-army vehicle" - just a marketing ploy ?

Also I see little interest by people here in the CL500/CL550 models sporting the MDI3200 , Are there any particular reasons for most seem to prefer the MM540 / MM550 for offroading & modding.

Also , did Mahindra continue production of the MM540 & the CL5XX simultaneously , and what are the differences between the two vehicles?
Old 20th June 2013, 16:33   #34
BHPian

I'm waking up a really old thread here to satisfy my curiosity. I went through the discussion about MM540, 550 etc. But most jeeps I see in Kerala are people carriers bearing the name Major, Marshall, Commander etc. I'm also aware of the SWB 'Classic', the predecessor of Thar. Are these the same vehicles you're talking about with friendly names when you say MM550, 540 etc?

I had a look at the Mahindra website for this information but they don't have any 'Jeep'y models listed. The closest is a Bolero. Are these Marhalls and Majors out of production? Is a Bolero derivative the closest to the original Mahindra utility vehicle you can buy now?

Disclaimer: total jeep noob here.

Last edited by SlowRider : 20th June 2013 at 16:35. Reason: Added disclaimer
Old 20th June 2013, 18:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

The closest thing you can buy to the old Mahindra Jeeps is a Thar DI now, or for that matter the Thar CRD e.

A Bolero is more of an Armada derivative.

Pre 2001, all Army MM550 s came with Oil coolers and 4 speed gearboxes. It is the Civilian MM 550 which came with 5 Speed gearboxes.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 14:25   #36
BHPian

slowrider,

As per my knowledge, Major is a CL500 with a DI engine (believe it's still available as have seen brand new roaming around in Kerala)

While the Marshall and Commander are MM750 (believe a MM540 body that has been streched to accomdate a second row of front facing seats).
Believe the Commander was the garib (low cost) version and the Marshall (rich) was the Ammir version..Marshal (Royale) would be the superrich version.

The commander and Marshall would be the predecessor to the Armada which was a predecessor to the Bolero (Guru's let me know if i am wrong please)

Don't know about the engine specs...only the jeep guru's can comment on that.
roshan_cruise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 17:46   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
I'm waking up a really old thread here to satisfy my curiosity. I went through the discussion about MM540, 550 etc. But most jeeps I see in Kerala are people carriers bearing the name Major, Marshall, Commander etc. I'm also aware of the SWB 'Classic', the predecessor of Thar. Are these the same vehicles you're talking about with friendly names when you say MM550, 540 etc?
The Major is the CL550 MDi, it is the newest Jeep that you can buy second hand if not for the Thar, which is now in production. The Major, and the CL 500 did not have a closed body. Where as the MM540/MM550/Armada have a closed body, or rather I'd say better weather protection than the Major & CL500D.

The Classic/CJ340 are the shorter versions of the Major/CL500 with Peugeot engine.

Marshal, Commander are the longer versions of the MM540/550.

Quote:
I had a look at the Mahindra website for this information but they don't have any 'Jeep'y models listed. The closest is a Bolero. Are these Marhalls and Majors out of production? Is a Bolero derivative the closest to the original Mahindra utility vehicle you can buy now?
As desertfox mentioned, the closest old Jeep you can buy is the Thar Di. Buy the Thar CRDe, if you want mechanicals of a Scorpio Vlx in a Jeep body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Pre 2001, all Army MM550 s came with Oil coolers and 4 speed gearboxes. It is the Civilian MM 550 which came with 5 Speed gearboxes.
For civilian versions:

There was MM540DP = XDP 4.9 + KMT 90 + 6 seats
There was MM540XD = XD3P + KMT 90 + 6 seats
There was MM550DP = XDP 4.9 + KMT 90 + 8 seats
There was MM550XD = XD3P + KMT 90 + 8 seats
There was MM550XDB = XD3P + BA10 + 8 seats
There was MM550ISZ = 1.8 Isuzu petrol + BA10 + Borg Warner + 8 Seats
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks