Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2009, 12:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsan View Post
hi everybody on team bhp .i am posting on team bhp for first time as i'm a new member . have just recently bought a mm550 year 2000 .i am planning to restore it as an original vehicle with no mods but real raw army style. all suggestions are welcome . kindly advise on color(interior and exterior).i am planning a 2k dull matt green(army)color. as far as seats are concerned i looked at original color(green) and it's didnt look bad . kindly advise if there is something specific which i should take care of while getting it repaired .i am posting the first pics of the jeep and more will follow as the work progresses.
first of all welcome to TeamBHP!!!

Mate what you have got there is one of the most decent and clean Army auctioned MM550's I have seen. In a couple of pictures it looks like it doesn't even need a paint job.
Why don't you leave it just as it. Believe me I have seen people drive in worse conditioned jeeps. The mechanicals should be perfect, dont worry about the looks.
At the end it depends what you really want to do with your jeep. If you want it purely for off-roading then dont touch the paint job. Alternatively if its going to be a city vehicle with occasional off-roadinig then its your decision. But if I were you I would leave it as it is, drive it around get the feel and thrill of the vehicle, get to know your vehicle and then decide after a couple of months what color I want, what mods I need to do, etc etc.
If you are able to start the vehicle without doing much to the enginie then why not to drive it around just like that!!! Also as you have said that there's no rust nothing,

Just my advise!!!

I have a MM550 and a CJ3B.
My MM550 thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...p-finally.html

The CJ3B I have been driving as it is no MODS, no paint nothing. Yaar I haven't even got it washed, even for once. It might have been washed by the drivers from the outside but the engine, underside etc etc is as it was auctioned from the army and the date on the auction papers is August 2008. So its been more than a year.
For pictures checkout my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ndra-cj3b.html and my CJ3B blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Looks in decent condition. Is there a source for such army disposal Jeeps in Patiala?
We all would love to know where did you pick up the vehicle from. It would help all the other Teambhpians too. Why not share it openly.

Quote:
See if you can source the rear hatch from the 2001 onward jeeps (it is hinged on right side).
As Satnam (bigman) said if you are thinking of changing the tailgate that should be a good option as the new model ones are much better. I did the same thing and it costed me 3300 including the labor. What I din't do, as I was not experienced at that time, if you are changing tha tailgate (old to new model) you have to change the bumper plate too. The plate on which the tow hook is mounted. Otherwise you will not be able to mount the tyre on the new model tailgate!!!
Old 14th August 2009, 22:47   #17
BHPian

Went In Today To Workshop To Check Th E Progress Of Work. Going Smooth . Pictures Are Old . Mechanical Stuff Is All Either Checked Or Repaired . Brake 's Have Been Repaired . Engine Started,fuel Pump Serviced,alternator And Starter(self) Serviced, Wiring Taken Out Repaired And Retaped ,front And Rear Differential Serviced,gear Oil In Diff's Changed ,wheel Bearings Cleaned And Greased ,all The Seals In Wheels And Diff's Changed With Original New Ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1248.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1246.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1245.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1244.jpg  

jeepsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2009, 23:43   #18
BHPian

in the second pic , on the pillar is the sample color (dull military green )no gloss. kindly advice how it looks . in the first pic the accelrator wire was fitted in a new fitting . is it okay or should it be changed to an old one which you can see right under the new one . thanks
Old 16th August 2009, 14:15   #19
BHPian

KINDLY ADVICE ON COLOR as i have to decide to day
Old 16th August 2009, 15:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
in the second pic , on the pillar is the sample color (dull military green )no gloss. ...
Do you mean the matt finish. As far as I know its more prone to catch dirt and stains.

Saikat
Old 17th August 2009, 23:04   #21
BHPian

my friend's russian 4x4.restored here in patiala . has a toyota diesel engine , ac, 16 inch tyres real nice and peppy too . very fast
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1204.jpg  

Old 18th August 2009, 01:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

please can you tell us the source for your jeep.IS there a army disposal dealerin Patiala?

thanks
Old 10th September 2009, 21:46   #23
BHPian

brought the jeep home today .

finally after waiting for so many days , got the jeep home today . some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1251.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1252.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1253.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1255.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1256.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1257.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1259.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1260.jpg  

Old 10th September 2009, 23:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Looks very neat apart from those hellas by the windscreen, they detract from the overall look of the vehicle. Might have been better off going for a lightbar if you like lots of spots. Also its too green I think a few of us would have used black paint on the front fender to break the colours up a bit.

Last edited by bigman : 10th September 2009 at 23:57.
Old 11th September 2009, 01:09   #25
BHPian

Bigman, you are right these hellas are on the the wrong place. I feel any civilian colour would have been much better on this jeep.
Any way good luck with your MM550 jeepsan.
Old 11th September 2009, 08:06   #26
BHPian

Congrats Jeepsan! The jeep has come out very well!

Looking at the interiors seems like you just did the paint on the outside and also the interiors seem like the have not been touched much. Are you planning on that for later?
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

a BIG congratulations on the completion of the JEEP and it sure looks nice and sturdy.

could you please post some details of driving and its behaviour after completion?

i will be sending you a PM for its price factor and completion job price.
Old 30th September 2009, 20:53   #28
BHPian

hey your jeep has come up very well. The army green looks good. Can you please share the details such as where did you pick it up from and how much did you pay? Also interested in more details of the registration process. Thanks and enjoy your jeep.

Nishanth
Old 8th October 2009, 17:08   #29
BHPian

New Pics

few new pictures after putting on new stickers and spare tire .
Attached Thumbnails
Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1292.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1293.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1294.jpg  

Project MM550 Xd Army Spec-100_1295.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 17:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my friend's russian 4x4.restored here in patiala . has a toyota diesel engine , ac, 16 inch tyres real nice and peppy too . very fast
This features in another very famous thread here. Figure out where.

Quote:
few new pictures after putting on new stickers and spare tire .
Very decent and neat. Good work.

BTW, I just noticed that you have "private vehicle" pasted. Is this compulsory?

Last edited by beejay : 8th October 2009 at 17:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks