Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 17:38   #1
BHPian

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b

Hi Friends,

I have been in this forum for quite sometime, but more of the quiet type. A good friend and fellow bhpian, Dhwanit, re-introduced me to the love of go-anywhere, about an year back. He got himself a MM550 and I was hooked. Hours of passionate discussions over small technical stuff, the thrill of initial off-roading and the machines, I knew, I was bitten.

I searched for an off-roader for one year. Got completely confused between, MM540/550 & Gypsy and finally decided on a mm540. Identified a very clean mm540 in my home state, but because of some problems with the owner, could never lay my hands on that Vehicle.

During this long search, I was smitten by the Cj3b. I learnt driving on a petrol 3b in Orissa about 20 years back and I knew this was Old-love just getting rekindled. Identified a specimen about 5 months back and recently bought and got the vehicle to Bangalore. The Vehicle has been considerably modified from it's original self and it's a project to get it back to it's 1962 looks and feel. RHS steering, Side-opening tailgate, bucket seats, missing 4 wheel drive, gas-conversion, etc etc, the list is really long of how much this vehicle is different from the original. I have got a lot of inputs from this forum and hope to get a lot more in future during my project.

Did bother a lot of people in all this time that my search was on and initially after getting the vehicle. A special thank-you to Dhwanit, Shekhar, Khan_Sultan, Shiva(trammway), Santhosh(S@~+#0$#), Avinash(my brother) and UBS-the great. Thanks for your company, patience, technical inputs and thoughtful advice.

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0628.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0629.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0630.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0631.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0632.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0633.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0635.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0641.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0642.jpg  

Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-img_0643.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2009, 19:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Superb. Congratulations for the Will to Live with the Willys. The important thing to do with this jeep is to convert the steering to left hand drive, which I'm sure I can help you.

Second is the front fenders, I hope you can find it in Shivaji Nagar or I can also help you on that part.

Looking forward to make this Willys a original state.
Old 23rd August 2009, 19:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
The important thing to do with this jeep is to convert the steering to left hand drive,
Why would you want to do this, did this come in LH drive originally?

Cheers,

Last edited by boeuff : 23rd August 2009 at 20:01.
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to another Jeeper. Thats a good looking Cj you have there.

I can already see your passion for the 4X4 when you are speaking of restoring it (With no disrespect meant to the other gender, id like to say, that a Jeep should be referred to as a "He") to its original glory.
Old 24th August 2009, 18:00   #5
BHPian

Trammway: Thanks, Steering to LHD is very much on the cards but later in the re-build. I am taking it slow and one thing at a time. Like we discussed today, lot of body modifications including petrol tank in the right place, Rear tail lamps, tailgate etc need to be done. Will be in touch to source the right parts.

boeuff: Yes this was originally a LHD vehicle. The holes where the clutch, brake pedals and steering column was originally, have been covered by plates and welded.

V-16: Thanks, I know exactly what you mean about the He/She part and I am consciously careful about it. So being gender unbiased, I prefer an impartial "IT"
Old 26th August 2009, 11:13   #6

Finally the pics!

Congratulations, Amresh!!

First things first -- get the 4WD t-case work done, then enjoy an OTR before the monsoons are over and only after that get down to the restoration.

I have to make a trip to Marathalli/Whitefield to check the vehicle out. BTW is the Palio retired to the garage permanently now?
Old 27th August 2009, 18:38   #7
BHPian

First Trip to the Mechanic(s)

Thanks Dhwanit,

You are welcome to come in and check it out.
The Palio does see sunlight nowadays, but much less than the 3b.

I have started sorting out smaller issues in the 3b. As it came, It had a mis-firing problem. Took it to a local mechanic in Whitefield and he said it was a distributor problem.

My knowledge from cj3b page kinda pointed the problem to static timing and I thought the distributor need to be rotated to set the timing right. Mechanic changed the "point" inside the distributor, Virtually half serviced the carburettor(Solex), but nothing worked.

The mis-firing went from bad to worse. Finally got back the vehicle in the "worsened" state from this local mechanic and took it to "Swami" in Indiranagar last weekend. Jeep owners did talk about him a lot and his deftness in handling petrol Jeeps.

Great Old chap. Checked the dictributor cap wiring from the cap to the spark plugs, making sure that the correct numbered wire from distributer was connected to the correct spark plug. Surprisingly, 3 kms before reaching his garage, all the coughing, sputerring and ruckus which my jeep was making on the road, just seemed to vanish. I was a little surprised as if the jeep smelled Swami's presence nearby and corrected itself.
The problem was identified to the bolt which holds the distributor "cap-angle" into place.

The threads on this bolt had been levelled somehow. I have indicated the same below.
|-
|///========/////////| |
|-

Because of this the nut was never tightened on the bolt and basically the distributor was changing it's angles rampantly. That explained the sudden correction of timing en-route. Anyway Rs 5/- (new bolt and nut)and a Goldflake King is what it cost me. In my panic I had anyway gone and purchased the complete packing and servicing kit for the solex carburetor. That now goes to my spare parts kitty which I anyway need to build.
Attached Thumbnails
Will for Willys: My new 1962 Cj3b-distributor-bolt.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 18:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Another one bites the dust. Congratulations.

By the way, Is that a hook near the bonnet?

There is an exceptionally well maintained CJ3b in my town, all stock and fully original. I would not be exaggerating if I say I have never seen such a well maintained CJ3b. Will try to get hold of the pictures and post them here.

Last edited by beejay : 27th August 2009 at 19:03. Reason: there is...
Old 27th August 2009, 19:14   #9
BHPian

Thanks Beejay,

Yes, they are extra hooks on the fenders. These did not come in the original model Willys but since the fenders have been changed to late model Mahindras, these extra hooks came along.

Do post the pics of the cj3b you are talking about.
Old 28th August 2009, 08:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Beejay - I am eagerly awaiting the CJ3B pictures.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th August 2009, 09:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreshmahapatra View Post
Thanks Beejay,

Yes, they are extra hooks on the fenders. These did not come in the original model Willys but since the fenders have been changed to late model Mahindras, these extra hooks came along.

Do post the pics of the cj3b you are talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Beejay - I am eagerly awaiting the CJ3B pictures.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Will post them as soon as I am able to get the pictures. Its a beauty. He does not intend to sell, I have asked him prior.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

congrats... great looking Jeep. Do you want to retain the LPG Kit or dispose it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreshmahapatra View Post
.....and a Goldflake King is what it cost me. ...
This is the reason If you smoke - say no to LPG kit.

Btw - you need a lot more of the 5CM thing above to get thru a restoration process. Patience is key..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
There is an exceptionally well maintained CJ3b in my town, all stock and fully original. ...
If you say well-maintained - we know what to expect. No wonder Behram Sir jumped up and asked for Pics... me +1, please grab some pics.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:49   #13
BANNED

One more restoration thread, Wow, i love such threads.

Buddy you from Bangy , would love to see your Willyboy sometime.

Looks like you need to do a lot to restore it back to original, its not a difficult preposition.

Best of luck for your restoration, May God bless you with lots of patience and a Big Money filled Wallet.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:06   #14
BHPian

Looks like one more guy went down with the jeep bug.. amreshmahapatra you are literally gonna go places with your jeep.. best of luck,
cheers
Old 28th August 2009, 10:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

@santosh, i will post the pictures as soon as I am able to get them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks