Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 15:00   #31
BHPian

Thanks for the compliments Svsantosh and Harjeev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
How is the entry to the rear bench sorted out? Does the co-driver seat fold-in-front?
The entry to the rear bench would be from the front (between the two front bucket seats) - slightly complicated if you're tall, but not too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I have some questions buddy, It will be great if you could answer some them!!!
1.How much did you pay for these tyres and where did you buy them from?
2.Are they easily available?
These are MRF NDMS 6.00 x 16 which cost Rs. 2,400 each. They are generally to be found quite easily in most tyre shops in Afzalgunj, Hyd (since that is primarily jeep land here)

3.What seats are those, I mean which vehicles seats are these? I ask because the original seats in a CJ3B are different and they are not very comfy. Therefore I am thinking of changing the seats in favor of more comfortable seats.
These are imported bucket seats which probably have come from a recent model Toyota or Nissan. If you want, I have a pair of comfortable Indica bucket seats (without the headrest) which I am happy to give you (if you can arrange to pick them up). I was quite happy with them, except the wife wanted the ones which are now fitted.

Also will it be possible to click the 'from behind the seats' shots. I just wanna understand and see whether you had to cut in the rear fenders to fit these seats!!!
We did not cut the rear fender (it was just beaten down a bit) so that there is an option to fit larger tyres if required at a later date. If you want only NDMS treads, you can cut a neat box which allows the seat to move back and front. I will arrange for a photo later.
Old 4th December 2009, 08:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

First of all A tight salute to you Sir for the zeal you have for perfection.

Congratulations to you for the Jeep.

How come I missed out such an educative thread I should punish myself for this ignorance. It took me close to 55 min to complete the thread of 3 pages but trust me you have answered all my question which were giving me sleepless nights. I appreciate you Sir for your in detail writing about the places, price involving in fixing the Jeep.

Jeep turned out to be perfect and I thank the technicians and Hyderabad/Old city for being heavan for Jeeps.

After completing this I have become a great fan of yours and would love to meet your. I am so happy to have an enthusiast in this forum and that too in Hyderabad.

Please post your comments/experience along with pictures (not from you mobile He He he!!) all what you baby needs is a silent engine and a coat of paint which I am sure will be blessed to her oneday. ALL THE VERY BEST TO YOU SIR!.

Last edited by chanu : 4th December 2009 at 08:11. Reason: spelling correction
Old 4th December 2009, 12:25   #33
BHPian

Thank you for the comments Chanu, but please don't embarrass me (especially on this forum). I have just tried to do the best I can to rebuild the jeep. There are several other more knowledgeable people on this forum, including in Hyderabad. I have learnt from them while I was going through the rebuild.

It has come out quite well and I am happy that I used some of the best resources available in Hyderabad to get the jeep to top notch condition.

Its a pleasure to drive and is as smooth as a jeep can get (I'm tempted to believe almost sedan like). Happy to introduce you to the jeep whenever you're free.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 4th December 2009, 23:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion who ever does justice to what they do in restoring/maintaining these wonderful machines deserves appreciation. The metal does not have any value what addes value to them is the people behind it. You have masterpeices selling as scrap and at the same time a fortune. Its the people behind it.

with your permission sir can we take this fourm forward as a guide an helping aid in restoring jeeps for people like me. We need help/guidance for all the experts in this endavour.
Old 22nd January 2010, 18:26   #35
BHPian

Hats Off

Great work indeed Sir.

My heartfelt appreciation to your efforts of giving life to this Beauty. I am sure it would drive like a dream. Did you happen to take it to an OTR after the restoration?

Also, are you looking forward to re-paint the machine & add few more fabrications to it?

Regds
Abhi
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Spyder, the wiring harness routing looks really neat, it has a professional touch to it.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:11   #37
BHPian

hey spyder..
this is a good restore.
good reference point for people like me
Old 1st November 2011, 08:25   #38
BHPian

Re: Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD

Hello every one!

I have read this thread over and again. Maybe some twenty times. I was looking at buying a jeep and then went through all the pages about jeeps in this forum. I saw Spyder's jeep and wished i owned it. So i went about looking for a jeep in the 50,000 INR range and could not find anything that satisfied me. Then I hike my budget to I lakh rs. Still no luck.

Then i went back and looked at Spyder's jeep and realized it is not worth the compromise and to wait in the garage for an endless time before the Jeep is finally ready and then be able to ride it after paying a huge bill. So I decided to go for it and went up to Spyder and checked out the jeep. I gave him an advance and even after giving the advance, thought of backing out. But somehow it was destined that I had to have this one and I bought it on the 2nd October. So it is a true story of a tug of war and several friends advised me to go for something complete and not a work in progress one.

So I borrowed cash from my dad and took possession of this Jeep. When i bought it, the Jeep was in ok condition and the top needed replacement. So i decided to go topless for some days. SO that is how it is at the moment.

I am a proud owner of this jeep and am discovering all the shops that cater to the needs of Jeepsters in Hyderabad. I am yet to make acquaintances with some Jeepsters that I have been hearing of in the last month and i am yet to make that trip to the Jeep Zoo, Bahadurpura.

I will keep you all posted with my progress in a separate thread.

Teja.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:58   #39
BHPian

@spyder

I must say you have taken a very systematic restoration effort. Do you still own this 3B? Especially the canopy and custom wiring harness looks top notch. It would be nice if you could share some contact details of Rex Automobiles, Hyderabad.

Chengappa.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:51   #40
BHPian

spyder,
jeep looks compact & manly. Seats should be giving good support. Since jeep does not carry doors, seat side support helps.

small note:- please insulate accelerator rod. It's to close to headlight cutout. A screwdriver can do the damage. All the best for many mile to come.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks