Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:09   #1
BHPian

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD

Hi Guys,

It has been sometime since I posted here. But, I have been following the threads regularly, especially the classifieds.

Just wanted to let you all know that we have recently acquired the captioned in Hyderabad. My wife now has her eyes set on the jeep and seems to be keen to use it as her daily drive.

It is a lovely military green well maintained short chassis CJ3B. The engine is quite smooth and it drives well. The 4WD has been disconnected and I have spoken to Shams about getting that fixed soon. There are some touch-up and minor works which can be done on it, but we plan to run it stock 'as is' for the time being, till we get to know the jeep (mechanics and mechanicals) better.

I would like to sincerely thank UBS Sir who was extremely helpful in providing timely suggestions on the jeep, even when he had guests at home. This would not have been possible without him.

If anybody is interested in picking up a jeep in Hyderabad, I can suggest you get in touch with the middle man, Aman 09394735347, who helped broker my deal. He deals in these vehicles from time to time and seems to be sincere. He is also helping me with the RTO transfer and minor repairs.

I've put up several pics of the Jeep. Looking forward to your thoughts on the vehicle.

Cheers,
Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7429.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7432.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7434.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7438.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7440.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7441.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7442.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7447.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7448.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7449.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7450.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7451.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7452.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7453.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7454.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7458.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7462.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-dsc_7464.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-jeep1.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-jeep2.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 25th September 2009 at 11:05.
Spyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

coold buy spyder and congrats to you on your jeep.

would love to follow this thread for your feedbacks about the jeep and how you make changes in the jeep.

that looks like a petrol engine! is it?

please give details about the price factor also!
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:30   #3
BHPian

Thanks Parm. It is quite a lovely vehicle and I keep leching at it from time to time :-)

The engine is a diesel - Hurricane is what I am told - unless jeepsters here are aware otherwise.

Since I got it last week, the only thing I have had time for is a water wash and greasing. I've got a copy of a Willy's CJ3B manual and plan to read it sometime soon.

The changes planned for now are going to be quite basic:

- Get the insurance and transfer papers organised

- Change the seat covers

- Add the 4WD option (after checking the gearbox)

- Check and fix the wiring, lights and meters

- thinking twice as to whether I want to re-paint and change to a new tarpaulin top. I like both the way they are and will probably keep it that ways. Though my wife keeps threatening that she will paint it pink with yellow polka dots (since it is technically registered in her name and therefore can do what she wants with it)!!!

- Change the old tyres to new MRF NDMS tyres - I presume 16"

- get a toolbox for the jeep (suggestions on what to include - probably will pick it up from JC Road, Blr next week)

Any other suggestions for a first time jeep owner are welcome.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a B272 Diesel engine (after market job). If you like its huge torque, continue to use it. It can sound harsh to one's ears. If you want a more recent Peugeot engine, you can do it later down the line.

Leave the Jeep as it is now, its looks good. Post some pics of underbody in SUNlight. Dont mind getting dirty, just post some nice detailed pics.

DSC-7464 pic is taken from the left side of the Jeep. Please post the opposite angle from below the driver side, We need to see if the gear box is still 4WD capable (transfer case present?). Cant make it clearly from this angle. Looks like at least the 4WD levers are not there next to the Gear lever.

EDIT------

Is the Jeep in bangy? Hyd?

Last edited by svsantosh : 23rd September 2009 at 16:52.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:53   #5
Muzungu

i like 4WD vehicles to be SWB and you got the right kind of vehicle.

i think you should drive the jeep for another 6-8 months before you think about getting it re-painted.

happy jeeping!

Old 23rd September 2009, 17:13   #6
BHPian

Thanks Santosh. I spoke to UBS Sir on this and he mentioned that if the differential is on the right, the chances of it being 4WD is higher. Though he did mention something about the transfer case, etc which flew over my non-technical mind.

The jeep is presently in Hyderabad, but once I am confident of the mechanicals being able to withstand a long journey without any major breakdown, I plan to drive it to Blr.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 24th September 2009, 14:43   #7
BHPian

Hi Spyder,

Congrats on your purchase. The engine that you have on your JEEP is B275 commonly known as International IDI engine. It would be mated to the T90 3 Speed Gearbox.

Since this JEEP was a 4WD, it should have a Spicer T18 2 lever transfer case but I can see from the pics that the transfer case is removed. You will have to procure it if you want to use 4WD.

The JEEP would be lethargically slow on the highways if your Differential ratio is 5.38:1. How much kms has the JEEP covered till now ?
Old 24th September 2009, 15:17   #8
BHPian

Yes, that is an "Inter"(as in International Harvestor Tractors made by Mahindra) Tractor Diesel. Basically a very low-end torque producing motor, as is the case in any Agritarianmotor, and therefore also a overall low speed motor (redlines around 2750rpm), but strong enough to pull tree stumps out. Also, while running it can sound like a AK47 firing on Rapid Fire or Burst mode right next to your ear.
For the 4x4, UBSji's right when he said if the rear differential pumpkin is on the right side(looking from the rear), then it in all possibility has a transfer-case. Look under the chassis, if the jeep has this sort of additional box right behind the transmission, with a front and rear output, both offset to the right(again from the rear side), then its got a transfer case. If there is just a transmission with the output towards just the rear center(as against right offset), then my dear friend, you would have to look for a transfer case. And while you are at it, i would advise you to look for a 4 speed(4 front and one rear)KMT90gearbox too, coz mostly you come across a set with both the transmission and the transfer-case combinations for sale. Normally the rates here(Patiala as well as Mayapuri,Delhi) are Rs10,000 for a 4speed gearbox with a twin stick transfercase, and Rs12,500 for the same gearbox with a single stick transfercase.

Normally, the Inter-engined jeeps has a lower ratio T90 gearbox(3speed box with 3.34:1 as against 2.798:1 of the petrol jeeps with the same gearbox. This is the same ratio used in American M606 jeeps with a 4.27:1 final drive), and that was done so that the final drive(differential ratio) could be made a little bit higher to gain any sort of road speed.
Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2009, 09:00   #9
BHPian

Repair work has started!

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. Have started work on the jeep. Had first approached the Mahindra showroom at Jeedimetla (where they said all the Boleros and older jeeps were serviced). They gave me an estimate of 1.5 lakhs for the engine and mechanical overhauling and no guarantee that they would be able to procure all parts (since they don't procure locally).

That being too expensive, my next stop was Bharat Motorworks near Nampally. My wife and I both liked this place and he had several interesting vehicles including a metallic maroon LHD Willys with petrol engine and Ford GPW which was there for restoration quality work (as distinguished from a rebuild). Of course, Mr. Venkat Reddy did mention that the vehicle has been there for the last year or so...that gave me cause for concern for my own jeep which was before him.

After some cajoling (the Hyderabadis are bindaas in their own sweet way), he took my jeep for a short round and said it would cost me about 25 to 30k for repairs - basically fitting the 4WD, the steering assembly, checking the engine and some other stuff. Since I have a DI engine he mentioned that Bosch also does some maintenance of the engine jets and pumps, so if I wanted they could send it to them for having a look. That would cost a minimum of 2-3k and a max of 8-10 k if they have to replace some stuff. Expensive till now for the Jeep, but Bharat's is highly rated for their quality of work.

I also told him him that I wanted the entire electricals to be done and also the lining work and canvas top and probably a coat of paint. He dissuaded me from the painting and said let the current coat be on for some time and then we can consider. As regards the electricals and lining he put me in touch with some people he works with.

The electricals is being done by Saleem of General Motor works (behind Gandhi Bhavan). Saleem miya said his labor cost with materials will be Rs. 4,400. We left the car with him on Saturday evening since he said there were no other vehicles then and he could get the jeep done by Monday evening. While we were there he started pulling out the wires and commenced work.

On the Sunday visit, Saleem miya showed me certain parts that had conked out and need to be replaced and some parts were working so they could be re-used. He also gave me a list of items which needed to be procured, with the option to procure it directly. Given my work schedule on Monday, I let Saleem miya organise the same on his own. The estimate for materials was about Rs. 6000 - which included front headlights, hunter reverse light, master / dead switch, ignition switch, speedometer cable, roots horns, some meters and assorted items. Having no idea on costs at the time and needing to get the work done in a timely manner I have paid him Rs. 5000 as advance. I am informed that 10k for the electricals is on the higher side (should be around 5k were the suggestions provided by Shams and UBS sir), but given my initiation to jeep repairs, this is not too costly a learning. I will of course be more careful from next time.

In any case, the work being done is quite neat and I am pleased with the outcome. Saleem miya seems to pride himself on his work and mentioned that for the next 10 years there will be no problem with his quality. His work is also highly recommended by other jeepsters, so I'm happy to get a professional job done.

I've attached some pictures of Saleem miya at work (the parts near him are the ones which work and the other heap are the ones which have conked out). There is also the before and after pics of the fuse and relay box arrangement, which will give a good indication of the quality of work. Sorry for the poor quality pics..taken on my Nokia E90.

More on mechanicals and the Hyderabad jeep markets in old city (which I have been discovering) in my next post.

Cheers,
Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-11102009086.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-11102009087.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-12102009090.jpg  

Our 'new' 1972 Mahindra CJ3B 4WD-12102009091.jpg  

Old 13th October 2009, 09:33   #10
BHPian

Budgeting!

Wel guys, I'm going to be picking up the jeep with completed electricals today. Hope to go to Bahadurpura with Shams (who has kindly agreed to accompany me) in the afternoon to check on some of the mechanics there and get an estimate for the work involved. Some people I've been speaking to say that the difference between Bharat and the other chaps is around 15%, and this arises primarily on account of the fact that certain parts which would be re-conditioned and re-fitted by the others would be replaced by the Bharat team. Currently the costs are looking like this:

Current costs
1. Cost of jeep - Rs. 80k
2. Electricals (labor+wiring) - Rs. 4.4k
3. Electricals (materials) - Rs. 6k

Proposed costs

1. Seats, lining, canopy - Rs. 17k (with second hand imported seats which have height adjustments as well, centre seat and canvas canopy - similar to DKGs jeep canopy) - Bharat has suggested Amjad and Ahmed and tilting towards the former. Another quote from a liner in Afzalgunj (after my electrical experience above) gets me the seat frames (2 front individual and centre seat) along with the canopy and related work for 12.5k. Though Amjad's work come highly recommended so tilting towards him.

2. New tyres - Rs. 12k (MRF NDMS) or Rs. 18k (Apollo Bullet).
The current ones are quite bald and cracked and prefer to be safe than sorry.. plus it will definitely enhance the look of the vehicle. I am looking at 7.00x16 MRF NDMS, but unable to locate at any tyre dealer (even after extensive search). The options are 6.00x16 MRF NDMS for Rs. Rs. 2400 each (with tube) or 7.50x16 Apollo Bullet for Rs. 3600 each (with tube). I like the looks of both, but am told the NDMS is a better overall tyre for highway/OTR. Open to suggestions. My use would primarily be city/highway travel with some OTR. Would the Bullets be a direct fit for my jeep or I would need some mods to fit them?

3. Mechanicals - estimate of Rs. 30k (from Bharat, with the fear of of it bloody shooting up to Rs. 50-60k once engine is opened! Though Venkat Reddy assures me it won't). Will be going to Bahadurpura today with Shams to get a few quotations. Will take a decision thereafter. The other factor in favor of Bharat is that it is closer to home that Bahadurpura, so I can visit in the evenings after work to check on the progress of work.

This may be asking for a ideal situation - but anybody know any other good chaps in Hyd/Secbad who will do a professional job in a timely and cost effective manner??

4. Painting - Around Rs. 16 to 18k (though it is not in desperate need of a paintjob) I would want to use good paints and am told Dupont and Duco 2k are the preferred options. Bharat is reputed to have a good paintshop, there is also someone called Geelani in Rasoolpura / Bahadurpura and several who are all over the place. Any suggestions on who and how much it should cost? Also suggestions on colors will be good. I have a dark military green and contemplating whether to change it to a lighter green, stick with the same color, opt for metallic blue or maroon, white (which my wife is dead against), charcoal grey (which wife likes but I feel will dull the look), desert brown (no from wife). People with photoshop skills welcome to use the pictures in the first thread to give me some ideas :-)

5. Music system - Around 3k for Pioneer 400w speakers and around 2-3k for the player (with removable panel). This is not a priority, but will be nice. Saleem says it can be fixed in the glove compartment and the speakers below the centre seat (at the back). some of the threads seem to suggest that these things can be easily stolen, so don't plan to invest too much.
And no chance of fitting the marine speakers and all for now (lack of availability and budget) :-)

Total cost - around Rs. 1.85 lakhs
Time - around 2 weeks is what I estimate, but a month to be conservative

What do you guys think about spending so much on it? We intend to keep it for a while, but in case we have to sell it, would we be able to recoup costs and make a small profit on it as well (for our efforts)? Looking forward to your inputs.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 13th October 2009, 10:02   #11
BANNED

Looking at the first photo of the electricals it looked messy and i thought to myself that it badly needs re work to bring it up to standards. Scrolling down the page i found that you went and got the electricals done; the work looks really neat! Aren't you fitting windscreen wipers?
Old 13th October 2009, 11:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

- You have a nice electrician to take care of the Jeep.Congrats.

-- Try to avoid painting or audio!!!! now. Since mechanicals is the key here, spend time and money here 1st. Go for a few OTR's and then go for the cosmetic part of it.

--- Your Engine is a tank, nothing much can happen to it. Get the pump-nozzle serviced/overhauled according to your taste. Power/Torque Vs FE. Try to overhaul the gearbox/Xfercase Combo since that wont cost you a lot. Opening it and checking and refixing may cost you 2K in labour alone, but you will have ZERO surprises in the future.

---- Do the same Overhaul/cleaning up for the 2 axles/differential. There is a tonne of bearings inside these enclosures and chances of few being worn out are high. Also get the steering assy checked by a expert. This is one area that can never satisfy a sedan driver Vs Jeeper!!! Vaugueness is a way of life.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:23   #13
BHPian

Thanks Sankar and SVSantosh.

I was also informed that my jeep is in original army disposal condition..something about some additional supports for the suspension which are typically found only on army vehicles. Could someone elaborate? Thx

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 13th October 2009, 12:52   #14
BHPian

Spyder,
Russet brown is a good colour for your jeep. It is one of the colour Land Rover Defender used come with in the 60s. I also like lame stone white.
Old 13th October 2009, 16:57   #15
BHPian

Hi Spyder, congratulation on your buy.

Most Viewed