Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 13:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
beejay, true that Gypsy cannot be a family vehicle. It is not true that it is good only for city and short sprints within 100 kms range as you quoted.

Gypsy can run 1200 kms to 1500 kms non stop in a day, depending on driver's endurance. Sha and Swastik Viji will vouch for me.
As you have rightly mentioned it depends on the endurance of the driver. Would it be comfortable for the family to travel 1500kms non stop in a gypsy or for that matter any pure off roading vehicle?

I personally can travel 1500kms in my Jeep without any hitch, provided I get the magic potion after my trip.
Old 19th November 2009, 14:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
As you have rightly mentioned it depends on the endurance of the driver. Would it be comfortable for the family to travel 1500kms non stop in a gypsy or for that matter any pure off roading vehicle?

I personally can travel 1500kms in my Jeep without any hitch, provided I get the magic potion after my trip.
Beejay, I have agreed with you on family front

you were questioning the gypsy capabilities, i have clarified you on that. Jeep, I have my doubts. May be as you rightly said magic potion is very much needed after the trip.

Gypsy is better vehicle on on-road too I have travelled from bangalore to mumbai in 16 hrs with one hour break and no side effects.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th November 2009 at 14:52. Reason: only 2 smilies per post allowed. Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 14:14   #33
BHPian

Hi Yogesh

Sorry i didnt see your thread earlirer. My opinion:
  1. the vehicle is good and clean.
  2. the dealer is asking for tooo much, there may not be many to choose from but that does not mean he can charge you whatever he feels like
  3. ask him to take off the alloys, front crash guard (reduces your GC) and tyres and the gas kit. how much does that knock off the price?
  4. It will never compare with an SUV in terms of family comfort but then and SUV will not compare with it terms of off-raod capability (in the same price range)
  5. Another point on the family comfort part is that you dont want to be selling this again in a years time, i.e. it may be comfortable on short drives but Jaipur-Delhi is another story.
These are just my views. Hope it helps.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 19th November 2009, 14:30   #34
BHPian

Yogesh & Guys,

I am not very active with my posts, still am working on my Gypsy project for last few months.

As I was being quoted exorbitant price for used Gypsies, I decided to buy an ex-army Gypsy (1999/ Carb) which had clean chassis & body-line.

Now, after 4 months, and many upgrades, my vehicle is is perfect condition & is regular on OTR circuit in Delhi.

After purchase of Gypsy, I did the following:

Engine, gearbox & clutch overhaul.
Bodywork & paint
New electrical & fitments
Hard Top (second hand)
New rear Diff assembly (complete)
Complete brake assembly set (including hand brake)
New Fuel Tank, Fuel Line, Battery,
New Carb (Esteem)
New Leafsprings & Shox (All original)
New Steering Assembly (complete)
New MRF F78-15 Tyres (4)
Seats (refurbishing)

All the above has costed me 2.75 lac (including vehicle & registration).
After a few initial glitches, the vehicle is in great shape. Minor rattling noises from Hard Top & rear benches are continuing (and will, i guess).

I plan to install an A/c next summers (second hand, of course, at 10K), no need felt for power steering.

Though the above has taken 5 months of my life, but was an amazing learning experience. Also, now I am very sure of the reliability of my vehicle.

The above option may also be explored.

Cheers!

ashish
Attached Thumbnails
Found a Gypsy 2004?-img00163200911111507.jpg  

Old 19th November 2009, 15:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Great looking gypsy Ashish.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:13   #36
BHPian

Hi Ashish - welcome to TBhp!

You should start a thread on your experience with the purchase and restoration of your ex-Army Gypsy King.

Cheers
Ankit
Old 19th November 2009, 15:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
...It is not true that it is good only for city and short sprints within 100 kms range as you quoted.....
...Gypsy can run 1200 kms to 1500 kms non stop in a day, depending on driver's endurance......
Very well said Dwaraka sir. With some upgrades on the comfort part, it should be good enough for longer on-road trips as well. Have heard people doing 100+ consistently on the highways on a gypsy king. I think even presently fellow bhpian COUGAR is on a long grand tour with his gypsy.

@Ashish, welcome to Tbhp. Was there in mayapuri with mandeep when you were finalizing the paint shade. Please post some pics of your gypsy in the gypsy pics thread.

@Yogesh, as Ankit has rightly said, try to ask the price without the frills and unnecessary add-ons. But being in Jaipur, i guess you will bump into a good vehicle in a reasonable price sooner or later.

-regards,
Old 20th November 2009, 13:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

@ beejay- yes correct, it is in comparison to CL340 that the gypsy feels so comfy but that is ok, it won't be fair to expect more from it..

@dwaraka- I agree on capability of gypsy to run long runs, we all have seen fellow bhpians doing great runs. On the family front since everyone is emphasizing so much we will check our comfort before buying. I would like to know from everyone which other vehicle you put closest to its highway ride, for example is it like an 800, or Omini or santro or 550. I guess it will come close to sitting in the last row of the interstate bus??

Anyways the family will accompany on an average 3 out of 10 times for Gurgaon and for actual OTR may be 1 out of 50 times. If there is no OTR we can always take our sedan.

@ Ankit- Thanks for your input, the seller was very confident that he will sell it above 4 L. I have decided I will not contact him now. If he is not able to sell in 1 month then he will be in another mind state. I might contact him then and put my terms. But will again discuss all issues here.

You have raised a very valid point. I would never like to sell my 4x4 again in a years time. You see you put so much time in it, which you can never recover. With a new vehicle it is a new story all together and these things are rare to find.

Another major issue when one travel on highway with or without family is reliability of vehicle. If there are two vehicles then no need to worry but if there is only one vehicle, at least one has to be sure that it will not stop in the middle of nowhere. I never gained that confidence with CL340. Therefore now I want a newer piece 2005 or later. That way I can even start early morning at 4 and attend the OTR at 7.30 even if I come alone for a single day.

With family if it is closed, AC, lots of space, reliable, low VHS and if it can cruise close to 80kmph then it will do the job. But I will check and make sure that later I don't regret.

Meanwhile my search for Scorpio 4x4 is also on.. I am in no hurry.

@Ashish- Welcome to Team-Bhp. I am totally out of the restore scene. Especially now knowing that it cost you 2.7 L. The restore scene is a never ending story. Plus the reliability factor. Another important point is workshop. I simply hate the local mechanics in Jaipur. Not because they are not knowledgeable but because they are always eager to do "Jugad". Plus the time you have to spend with them. (My diesel mechanic was 12 Kms from my house) You are lucky to have "Sudhir's" workshop there. But for me I want a vehicle which I can take direct to company's workshop MASS for Gypsy and then relax. Therefore looking for a piece not older than 2004-2005.

@Kandisa- Agree about the gypsy’s abilities on highway. There sure are drawbacks but then you are not in the sedan market, we are trying to get most comfortable 4x4. For the above pictured gypsy, I will not contact that person now and will keep the search on.. Infect a Jaipur jeeper has referred another gypsy. I will post new pics soon.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 20th November 2009 at 13:44.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Yogesh & Guys,

I am not very active with my posts, still am working on my Gypsy project for last few months.

ashish
Hi Ashish,
Welcome to the club.

Your Gypsy is looking simply great.With that colour its stands out from the rest anywhere you go.

So your 4x4 also have a little Mandeep touch?

Why don't to start a thread to share your Gypsy rebuild experience.
Cheers
Shibu Varghese
Old 21st November 2009, 00:27   #40
BHPian

Guess this is the right place, for all gypsy lovers the place to visit in Bombay is the Police vehicle workshop at Byculla, opposite saboo siddik college and close to my school Throughfare for general public is not allowed, but if someone can manage then well and good.

It can be termed as paradise for gypsy lovers, gypsy with a variety of problems come and were parked here. Some only with body shell, line up of removed engines, differential and others removed, etc. IMO its the only garage for entire mumbai police, one can imagine the nos. When i had visited Qualises were being inducted. So very few Qualises. Gypsies were dime a dozen, many waiting to be scrapped.

I asked the person if the individuals could bid for these vehicles. Apparently there is a big lobby that manage to get the scrapped vehicles, chances of individuals getting are slim.
I just wonder the knowledge of some the mechanics who had spent day and night working on gypsies before the qualises were being inducted.

Mumbai police buys vehicles in lots, can be identified by the registrations first gypsies as per my observation are
MH01 M 93-94
S 96-97
BA 2000-2007
SA 2008-2009
Old 21st November 2009, 08:11   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
...This piece is over man. Too many complications and very unreliable seller. ...
In that case, better to not consider the vehicle from this person. Keep looking and I am sure that NCR region will have many mpfi Gypsy's available in good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
.....As I was being quoted exorbitant price for used Gypsies, I decided to buy an ex-army Gypsy (1999/ Carb) which had clean chassis & body-line.

Now, after 4 months, and many upgrades, my vehicle is is perfect condition .....
All the above has costed me 2.75 lac (including vehicle & registration).
After a few initial glitches, the vehicle is in great shape. ....
This is exactly my point. So, leaving aside that the vehicle owner being shady etc, I don't understand why people here are saying that the vehicle is priced too high for 4+L.

Doing up a late 90's carb Gypsy will FOR SURE set you back by ~3L (if done properly) over time + HUGE investment of your time & effort. Now think of this 2004 mpfi Gypsy with PS + AC + Alloys + Gas etc...

Even the seemingly tempting/low cost options of 1.5L gypsy's end up with a budget of ~3L with restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
....I am totally out of the restore scene. Especially now knowing that it cost you 2.7 L. The restore scene is a never ending story. ....
Agree. It's a never ending story :-)
Old 21st November 2009, 14:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

@Kavesh55- The thread link below will be more appropriate for your post. Though it is about Army disposal, but you'll get lots of information about auction procedures:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...where-how.html

@ Khan_Sultan- You are right Mr. Khan. I will leave this piece for now, after a month (if I still dont find another and he still dont sell..) I will ask him to remove everything and give as stock gypsy. (as the original piece is good but I doubt he will give like that)..
I said the seller is unreliable because he is a broker (with many cars), he can easily use second hand AC or gas kit to make it look attractive.

What I understood about this being said over-priced in this discussion is that most of the accessories it has got are of no use to us. We will pay around 2.8 or 3 for Gypsy and rest around 1 or 1.2 L for add ons and that is the expensive part. Plus 2004 gypsy should be around 2.4 or something in Jaipur.

I agree one should not think that restorations are cheaper. Money wise I feel restorations are either equal or sometimes even expensive then civil pieces (if available) but for someone who is passionate about army, history, mechanics and learning and have time then restoration is fun for him, then money don’t count. It is not my cup of tea boss..

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 21st November 2009 at 14:23.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:51   #43
Senior - BHPian

Yogesh
Best of luck with your hunt of a 1.3MPFI!!! I myself am on the deciding phase, but will definitely put the money down next year for a 1.3MPFI. Here in Delhi it is 5.42L on road for white!!!
Whats the price for a brand new 1.3 MPFI in Jaipur???
Me too now with 2 ex-army restorations completed am not in the mood for another restoration! So it either brand new for me or if I come across a very capable good conditioned civilian then I might put the money down, which might be just a dream!
So brand new all the way!!!
Old 22nd November 2009, 17:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Yogesh
Best of luck with your hunt of a 1.3MPFI!!! I myself am on the deciding phase, but will definitely put the money down next year for a 1.3MPFI. Here in Delhi it is 5.42L on road for white!!!
Whats the price for a brand new 1.3 MPFI in Jaipur???
Me too now with 2 ex-army restorations completed am not in the mood for another restoration! So it either brand new for me or if I come across a very capable good conditioned civilian then I might put the money down, which might be just a dream!
So brand new all the way!!!
Harjeev, Well said bro. Let me share my experience with pre-owned Gypsy Kings.

I've been looking for a best priced ( or cheap) used MPFI gypsy ever since it was launched. Never had any luck. After many years of unsuccessful search I lost hope and downgraded my dream to carb Gypsy King. But even that I did not find many in down south esp Kerala. That brought me all the way to Delhi to get a Gypsy King but only Carb engine!

So my MPFI Gypsy King still remains as a dream.

So if you are too passionate about Gypsy and dont have time and energy for a restoration. Then answer is brand new All the Way!
Make a downpayment with your trusted Maruti dealer and I guess in 15 days( for white colour and longer waiting period for other 3 colours) you get your dream machine!

"There is a Gypsy in everyone"
JC
Old 23rd November 2009, 15:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

OT,
Shibu. I saw an advert in the Hindu for a 2003 MPFI gypsy.

I called the person and he sounded like a dealer. Red, 33K, WB registration, soft top. The vehicle is in Coimbatore.

The guys asking 4L. I told him that's way too much and he told me to have a look and we can negotiate. If its of interest to any of you guys here send me a PM and I will send you his number.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks