Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 19:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for giving me a new insight to look at this piece. It was quite tempting earlier because it has hard top, ac, ps, gas kit, new alloys and tyres, intact 4x4 and less kms on the odo. I felt the piece was good but the price was more and like always I decided to put it up here and ask everyone and thank God it was a great decision.

I had no idea about the technicality of the wiring, gas kit or tempered odo or about local alloys. I thank everyone for showing me the right direction.

In my test drive I realized one thing that gypsy is lot more comfortable, refined and easy to drive than my earlier 340. With hard top and AC it becomes even better. To test its handling I did speeds of 60+ in this in forth gear and deliberately took it over potholes. The way it handled was not as good as a new sedan but was better than say a 5 year old Santro or Esteem.

Well the guy was not in a hurry to sell. He said that it was his first ad in news paper (seeing which I went) I offered him 3 L for it, but he was very optimistic. Shall I ask him to remove alloys, tyres, gas kit and other bling things and give at 2.7L or shall I leave it all together..
Old 18th November 2009, 19:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

try to match the chassis number with the engine number from a maruti dealer or check the RC with the dealership it got sold from!

you will get your answers about this vehicle being what it is as told by the owner!

anyway at 4.25L its priced too high. it should be under 3 L for being a 5 year old vehicle.

Last edited by Parm : 18th November 2009 at 19:37.
Old 18th November 2009, 19:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Hi, after selling my beloved jeep I am extensively hunting for another 4x4. In that process I have come across this Gypsy, which I would like everyone to evaluate.
Yogesh, Wow.. from 340 to Gypsy. Welcome to the Gypsy bandwagon if you go ahead with it.

See my answers in bold

1) Is it a good piece
Yes its a good piece from pics and your description well maintained too considering the age of it.

2) Is the price correct or else how much it should be. (I am surprised to see him ask this much for a 2004 pcs)
To be really honest there is no market price for modded Gypsies and Jeeps.So its upto you. To make it simple just deduct the cost of the accessories less depreciation and compare it with a stock 2004 vehicle and the decide.

3) Will it be good to travel with family
Dont even think about it. I really mean it

4) will it hace heating problem with so many things attached like AC and PS.
Can expect over heating when you drive in bumper to bumper traffic or driving up in some Ghat sections with A/c on. But that can be fixed easily by installing bigger radiator or a bigger fan and also by going for an electrical fan.

5) overall is it a good buy or not?
Its a good buy as a 4x4 but again its upto you to make the final call.

I took test drive. The engine was smooth, PS very good and effective, AC also effective, but it is already cold. There was some rattling noise from back which he told comes from hard top. What say?
Welcome to the Gypsy world that rattling is common with most of the HT Gypsies.For me I am so used to it now I cant drive if I dont hear the rattling

PS: I see in the picture that the driver side sticker says MG410W but on the other side it was 413??
That could be just the wrong decals!

Shibu
Old 18th November 2009, 20:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Yogesh (or Ym-enjn - I wonder what it means) - you seem to be in two minds which is extremely dangerous. You can lose a lot of money in this mindstate. So, when you are in two minds, the definite answer is - NO! Period!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th November 2009, 20:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Yogesh, this may not be the best looking used gypsy example out there but then there are not many to choose from.

Assuming it has done even 40k kms then also I would say that it is an ok kind of price for a 2004 MPFI with all that added junk (some useful, some not).

I doubt that you would get a 2004 stock gypsy for < 2.75 - 3.25 L. Now add cost of doing A/C + PS + Gas Kit + Alloys + Tyres + ..... and you get the idea.

People can take a purist stand and say whatever they want but the reality is that good (I am talking mechanically) mpfi Gypsy's are HARD to find.

So you have 2 options:

Buy it and sell of the parts that you don't want OR try and ask the owner to reduce the price of these not so good parts.

PS: But yes, do get rid of the Gas kit IF you buy it
Old 18th November 2009, 20:14   #21
BANNED

BTW how come MG410 on a 2004 model? I guess MG413 king was on from 2000/2001
Old 18th November 2009, 23:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what modification he did for 70k.

My take are as follows.
1. very expensive.
2. This is important. LPG not fitted professionally. Either you save Rs. 4 per km or bet your (and you family's) life on it.
3. Didn't liked the alloy. I mean we are used to seeing much better here (for the price you are paying)
4. I doubt the oddo reading.

in my opinion 3.25 max is best price for this.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka
In any case this gypsy is worth no more 2 lakhs.
+1
This "MG410W + MG413W" isn't worth half the price its being quoted.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Mr. Behram Dhabhar, Vinod, starter(Deepak), svsantosh, jaggu, Ramsagar, esteem_lover, manish.thomas, dwaraka, bigman, Blue_Thunder, Parm, JeepCaptain(Shibu), khan_sultan, joshguy, SirAlec, nitrous. Its a definite NO!! I have experience, one can't go wrong with Team-bhp by their side. The hunt remains on..
Old 19th November 2009, 00:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Ask him if he will sell for 2.75-3L with no frills but just PS, AC and Stereo. If so your search ends.
Old 19th November 2009, 00:58   #26
BHPian

Hi Ym-Enjin,
I came across a 2005 MPFI Soft top, a month ago.
It had large Maxxis Mudzilla's, Scorpio Alloys, and a Free Flow Exhaust installed. Vehicle had clocked 25-27000 Kms, which I think is believable.

My garage guy took a look at the vehicle, drove it, checked the underbody for rust, etc, and said this car is close to perfect (perfect would be a brand new 2009 MPFI gypsy!)

The price quoted to me was 3.85 Lakhs.
I negotiated, and got it down to 3.6, but now I've decided to forego the mudzillas + alloys, and the final price is 3.4 Lakhs..

I plan on getting Geolandars + alloys on my own soon after I pick up the car (hopefully this week!!).

I guess 4.xx is a little too high, and if you keep looking, you're sure to come across a cheaper vehicle in decent condition.

All teh best!
Old 19th November 2009, 11:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Imran, your vehicle is MINT and steal for that rate and very hard to find.

@Yogesh,

First of all if you are looking for a comfortable ride with family then please forget a gypsy, if you are looking for unlimited fun and adventure then nothing can beat a gypsy. so think about it before you invest your money.

The price is way higher, PM if you dont mind little lower model.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ Jaggu- This piece is over man. Too many complications and very unreliable seller. I know it is hard to find a good MPFI Gypsy like Khan and others have mentioned but it is even harder to find a buyer for that in Jaipur.. therefore I am sure few pieces are waiting for me here or there.

@Imran- Thats a good vehicle you got. I'll keep the search on. BTW Mudzillas on Gypsy, they must be scraping the upper and inner walls big time?

@pdev- thanks for suggestion, I will PM you soon. Regarding comfortable ride, I took the test drive with my better half and little daughter. In our small test drive they were quite comfortable. You know when you compare a hard top petrol AC gypsy to an open CL340-deisel devil, it feels like luxury. But we will take a long test drive whenever I come across a test vehicle. We feel for occasional offroad drives till Gurgaon we can live with it provided it is a trouble free reliable piece.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Regarding comfortable ride, I took the test drive with my better half and little daughter. In our small test drive they were quite comfortable.
They must have felt comfortable because of the transition from your CL340 to Gypsy and nothing more. After Jeep everything else is pure luxury.

IMO the Gypsy cannot be a family vehicle for long drives. Its fine for within the city and for short sprints within a 100km range.

Keep the hunt on. All the best.
Old 19th November 2009, 13:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
They must have felt comfortable because of the transition from your CL340 to Gypsy and nothing more. After Jeep everything else is pure luxury.

IMO the Gypsy cannot be a family vehicle for long drives. Its fine for within the city and for short sprints within a 100km range.

Keep the hunt on. All the best.
beejay, true that Gypsy cannot be a family vehicle. It is not true that it is good only for city and short sprints within 100 kms range as you quoted.

Gypsy can run 1200 kms to 1500 kms non stop in a day, depending on driver's endurance. Sha and Swastik Viji will vouch for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks