Team-BHP - The "Unservicable" Gypsy
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   The "Unservicable" Gypsy (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/71145-unservicable-gypsy-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1688091)
....@khan_sultan: Its Sardar who is working on vehicle (It seems the same guy who installed your crawlers). I took the liberty of telling Lokesh that I was a Friend of yours. Sorry about that!

Inputs please!

Yes, Sardar/Lokesh work on my Gypsy. However, my friend, I have no idea about engines etc so can't help you much there. But I am sure they would do a good & professional job on your Gypsy.

PS: I don't think using my name would help in any which way :). They are professionals out there and I have seen them paying same/similar attention to every customer.
I don't get any preferential service (in terms of cost) there except that they are ready to do the crazy stuff I ask them to do on my Gypsy and they go the extra mile to help me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khan_sultan (Post 1688242)
Yes, Sardar/Lokesh work on my Gypsy. However, my friend, I have no idea about engines etc so can't help you much there. But I am sure they would do a good & professional job on your Gypsy.

PS: I don't think using my name would help in any which way :). They are professionals out there and I have seen them paying same/similar attention to every customer.
I don't get any preferential service (in terms of cost) there except that they are ready to do the crazy stuff I ask them to do on my Gypsy and they go the extra mile to help me.

Lokesh told me that Sardar was a very capable chap as he worked on your Gypsy too! (Lockers). And yes, I'm impressed with the service they have provided so far. And by using your name, I didnt expect any "preferential service." (any which way). Just needed it as an intro. :D

Congrats buddy ! Your Gypsy looks good.
First check the compression of the cylinders, the crank case, any cracks on the engine casing and then decide whether to replace or not. Actual estimation is only seen once you open the crank case. The bearings, crank shaft overhaul, the cam/cam shaft settings etc., will need your attention. If the pistons are live then they must fire.
Please keep this thread live. Keep posting the pictures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1688322)
Lokesh told me that Sardar was a very capable chap as he worked on your Gypsy too! (Lockers). And yes, I'm impressed with the service they have provided so far.

Yes, Sardar is a VERY competent person & very thorough with his work. I, personally, feel 100% confident when I leave my Gypsy in his hands and he takes care of my Gypsy as his own :).

Quote:

And by using your name, I didnt expect any "preferential service." (any which way). Just needed it as an intro. :D
No probs. Just kidding. :)

@ahwajid- If the Gypsy is in Suraksha it will be done neatly and professionally but visit every two days to see the progress and take estimation, Lokesh takes cares of Gypsy very well. Sardar is very good person and he does only complex issues.
About Gypsy its better to change engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sha (Post 1688547)
@ahwajid- About Gypsy its better to change engine.

Mate any specific reason for saying that . How about a engine rebuild ?

Just received the bad news that the heart is dead! :( The engine has been rebored already and he has advised against a overhaul. A new engine is the way to go.
@Sha- You were right.

I need to source an engine. Thinking of either Gujri (Blore) or Mayapuri (delhi, and transport it here). Lokesh was mentioning that we can go for something from Gujri and see if he throws in a 5-speed gearbox as well. I have no idea what the prices will be, neither do I have any contacts in Gujri.

Guys, can you please let me know the price of 1.3 Esteem engine + gear box, Baleno 1.8 + conversion to MPFi? I believe some of you have gone the Baleno 1.8 way.

Thank you!

Wajid

Thats sad ! though you have the liberty of putting in a new one though .
Another thing you would want to make a note of would be the registration as the new engine would have to be endorsed in the Registration card

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1691582)
Just received the bad news that the heart is dead! :( The engine has been rebored already and he has advised against a overhaul. A new engine is the way to go.
@Sha- You were right.

I need to source an engine. Thinking of either Gujri (Blore) or Mayapuri (delhi, and transport it here). Lokesh was mentioning that we can go for something from Gujri and see if he throws in a 5-speed gearbox as well. I have no idea what the prices will be, neither do I have any contacts in Gujri.

Guys, can you please let me know the price of 1.3 Esteem engine + gear box, Baleno 1.8 + conversion to MPFi? I believe some of you have gone the Baleno 1.8 way.

Thank you!

Wajid

Wajid
I believe that yours was a 1.0 carb! Right?
If yes someone please enlighten be whether its easy to convert 1,0 to a 1.3??

I too wanted to do the same sometime back and asked a friend of mine(dont ask me the name) who I will confidently say understands gypsys quite quite well:D
Quote:

Hi Harjeev
converting MG410 to 413 is not done by merely changing the engine only. You will have to use 5 speed gear box along with transfercase , front and rear diff. as the gear ratios ratios are different. so better look out for mg413 carb and convert it to mpfi or 1.6 mpfi
here's from another acquaintance
Quote:

Hey Harjeev
the one ltr gypsy does not make sense as one will have to replace everything : engine / transmission / transfer case / wiring & diffs. now with everything being replaced only the chassis & body remain so why spend money on that. basically pick up a 1.3 mpfi gypsy and then we can look at upgrading the motor to 1.6 engine along with some suspension upgrades.
think this route makes more economic sense
However if if you decide to do that, please make sure that your garage knows what they are doing
just my advise

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1691582)
@Sha- You were right.

I need to source an engine. Thinking of either Gujri (Blore) or Mayapuri (delhi, and transport it here).

Dear Wajid,
Sad to hear that the engine is dead!
Regarding a replacement, it depends on what you want!
If you want to keep it Maruti, you could search for a 1.0 heart. This would be the easier option.
You might check with Allan (xtreme_power). He might help you with some references. I remember him replacing a 1 liter engine to 1.6/1.3. So, he might have that old engine.
Else, you might switch to 1.3 but i am not sure if it is a straight fit. You could check with some experts here.
Third option, you could switch to an Isuzu motor. A member by name dwaraka (Dwarak) has done this on his MG410. You could PM him and ask him for further details. There is a thread too about it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ol-engine.html
Cheers,
Deepak

@Harjeev:

Thanks for the info. Yes Sir, it "was" a 1L Carb engine. Even the guys at the service center said the same thing that for economical reasons it better to source and keep a carb engine. I think I would go the carb way, keeping in mind financial implications.

@starter:

Saw Dwarak's thread and PMed him already :D . I'm thinking of upgrading it to 5-speed while I'm at it. Does Allan/xtreme_power have contacts here in Blore? From the posts I believe he is from Mumbai and has a huge collection of 4x4s. And total offroader he is building is very much like the one I bought (only with a good engine).

So, now can anyone tell what's the best carb engine I can go for? (because, converting to MPFi would be too much of a pain AFAIK). Please include the cost of the options (the roughest number that comes to your mind).

Thanks for the support Guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwajid (Post 1692197)
@starter:

Saw Dwarak's thread and PMed him already :D . I'm thinking of upgrading it to 5-speed while I'm at it. Does Allan/xtreme_power have contacts here in Blore? From the posts I believe he is from Mumbai and has a huge collection of 4x4s. And total offroader he is building is very much like the one I bought (only with a good engine).

As far as i remember, he had a running 1.0 liter engine which he replaced with a bigger engine on his latest Gypsy. So, if he is planning to part with it, you could buy it from him.

Hi Wajid
Well congrats on your purchase and sure the body lines look neat, as i said before these disposable jeeps will have wonderfull chassis and body line but you won't find anythg inside in terms of mechnical parts and other stuff. We should be prepared for that in anyways. Like it was difficult to explain to my other freinds that how a scrap gypsy could be turned around, this is what that involves cost as they remove all working parts from the jeep and keep them as back up. I told Abhey also when we was directly going to the auction to buy the jeep, what you see when its parked its a different story.... by the time you take them out you'll see more parts missing hence I prefer to pick up from my sources.

Wajid my personall choice would have been 413 but now you have already bought, strip the jeep completly so that you know what is missing. Plese check the crown, gear box , differentials, axles. Steering box you would have to be replaced.
I have done so many gypsy's now and feel 30k is the max you spend in buying all the spares for a gypsy.

The engine condition I dunno but as you said it was rebuild and already had over size pistons, you can fit the sleaves back in the block and run on standard size pistons.
you don't need to buy another engine, which ever engine you buy from the 2nd hand market you still have to open and check and atleast replace the rings so why not overhaul your original engine.
Detailed work on these scrap Gypsy's
1. STRIP COMPLETLY
2. MAKE A LIST OF THE SPARES THAT ARE MISSING
3. HAVE A GYPSY CATALOG SO THAT YOU KNOW THE PART NOS THAT YOU NEED TO BUY
4. YOU WOULD HAVE TO REPLACE
A . 50% CHANCES FRONT AND REAR AXLES
B. ALL FRONT AND REAR AND KINPIN BEARINGS
C. SETTING OF THE CROWN PLAY
D. CHECK GEAR BOX AND ITS SEALS
E. ALL ENGINE AND GEAR BOX MOUNTINGS TO BE REPLACED
F. WIRING REPLACE NOT VERY EXPENSIVE.
G. DRIVE SHAFTS CROSS CHECK THE PLAY OR HAVE THEM REPLACED FOR LONGIVITY
H. DISC AND BRAKE WORK
I. ENGINE OVERHAUL OFFCOURSE....
J. ALL BOLTS AND STUDS NEED REPLACEMENT
K. NEW OR WORKED ON KAMANIS AND 4 SHOCKS
L. U BOLTS AND ITS PLATE NORMALLY THE STUD IS WORN OUT SO YOU HAVE TO REPLACE (U BOLT RS 23 MGP AND PLATES 86 MGP AFTER MARKET NO PRICE)
M. ALL SEALS REPLACE... SPEEDO, CLUTCH AND ACCELERATOR CABLE REPLACE.

LIST GOES ON AND ON AND YOU'LL GET REALLY UPSET IN PURCHASING YOURSELF...if you have patience and time then go for it or hand over the jeep in good hands.

I guess I have covered most of the part, any confusion u can revert back to me.

Cheers.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Hello Guys,

The Gypsy is gone to Udipi to live like a King. :( It is now with Sachin Karkera (a fellow t-bhpian) from Udipi who has a King engine but needs a body for the same. I am hoping he updates the thread further. He is a little keyboard allergic, so I am not sure (I hope Samurai agrees on this).

My Gypsy dream lives on... Hoping to find another one, with a working engine this time! Most of them are up North and most are in lots of five. Any one game to team up, please let me know.

@Mods: If the thread is not updated by Sachin in 30 days, please close this thread.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of going the FIAT Punto way. Let's see what's in store?

Regards,

Wajid

Yes, I heard about this deal few days back. He doesn't post much, however most 4x4 regulars are familiar with his earlier restoration work. Your Gypsy has found a good home.