Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 13:40   #1
BHPian

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger

Though it is late for me to start a new thread on my experiences, still, as encouraged by friends, I am taking the plunge, now.

I had purchased an ex-Army Gypsy King (Carb/ 1999) in June'09 from Mayapuri. The vehicle was in decent shape, as the chassis & bodyline were clean. The engine could not be checked then as the vehicle was in 'as is where is' state. The gearshift was smooth, including the 4x4 transfer. The registration process was assigned to the dealer himself, and it as eventually registered in Zira (Pb).

Since then, the restoration process is virtually ongoing, as is my learning process. I will split the restoration process in the following stages, for better clarity:

1. Mayapuri (Stage I)
2. Learnings/ Improvements (Stage II)
3. Repairs (after my first major break-down during OTR)
4. Upgrades (Stage III)

I will take up the above 4 stages in sequence, and also highlight my learning from these.

To begin with, I am enclosing the first few photographs of my vehicle, taken immediately after the purchase, and proceed further.

Hope this thread highlights a few issues that I have faced in my journey so far!

Cheers!!

ashish
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0055.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0058.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0062.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0060.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0063.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th January 2010 at 13:56. Reason: Please write your post directly here. Copying from external editors creates [FONT] etc TAGS..
Old 20th January 2010, 13:59   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nice!
never too late to start threads on Gypsy's - plenty of enthusiasts hereabouts!
all the best!
Old 20th January 2010, 14:21   #3
BHPian

Never late , I was awaiting as you promised this start . Keep flowing .
How much did you pay for this 99'model ?

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 20th January 2010 at 14:22.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:32   #4
BHPian

Stage - I

Before purchase, I had tried to contact a few jeepers & was informed that a good condition ex-army jeep would cost somewhere between 80-100k, and would require approx 50-60k for rebuild. This was really very tempting, as having a gypsy, restored, in 150-160k was fantastic! Also, my entire attention was to get a 'good, clean' vehicle, and not on the restoration process (or what I wanted from my vehicle). Since most of my NIOC gang was riding Jeeps of various avtaars, the practical knowledge & feel factor of Gypsy was missing.

So, the Gypsy was purchased from Mayapuri, and on recommendation from the dealer, was handed over to a Mayapuri mechanic for 'initial' overhaul The mechanics in Mayapuri charge 6k for preparing the vehicle in road-worthy condition (all wheel overhaul, brakes, fuel line, engine check wiring etc., parts extra as per the requirement).

I had purchased the vehicle for 92k, 15k for registration, and estimate of 10k for this 'initial' work. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0066.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0068.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0072.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0071.jpg  

Old 20th January 2010, 14:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Looks quite okay for an Army disposal. All the best. Hope to see it done soon and smooth.

Going by your thread title, the CJ340 was christened Bush ranger for export markets.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
The mechanics in Mayapuri charge 6k for preparing the vehicle in road-worthy condition (all wheel overhaul, brakes, fuel line, engine check wiring etc., parts extra as per the requirement).

I had purchased the vehicle for 92k, 15k for registration, and estimate of 10k for this 'initial' work. So far so good.
Ashish , I guess the pics you posted are not of the initial engine checks performed by the Mayapuri guys . This seems to be a detailed engine surgery . Is this done in only 6-10 grands

Well really so far so good . though paying 92 K , well honestly a minus of 7-10 % would just have been correct price . Anywasy forget it ,its a Gypsy afterall, one lives with jeeps / Gypsies

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 20th January 2010 at 14:55.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:15   #7
BHPian

Stage - I

The engine was opened, and to my delight, I was informed that the same was in a very good condition. It would require only Rings & Sleeves, and will become like new! Great, so lets do it!

While this process was ongoing, the mechanic asked me if I had to get the denting done. Since there were a few parts which required denting & welding (including a damaged door), I was informed that the entire process would take 2.5k, and iff needed, paint job too can be done at Mayapuri at 7k (cobra paint, in mayapuri language). This was also very good, since I had to get that done anyway. So, we agreed for denting & paint job.

Interestingly, all the three jobs were to be done by 3 different people, the vehicle will first get the main/ engine job, then to denter's and finally to painter. last part, the reassembling will be handled by denter.

Interestingly, Mayapuri has a very high inflow of vehicles, and most of 'good' guys there are handling 7-10 vehicles simultaneously. As seen, whenever an owner walks in, his vehicle is pulled out for work, and as soon he goes, the work stops. This meant, I had to be there DAILY, sometimes in evening, and others during the day bunking the office.

The work progressed slowly, and in approx 20 days, it was ready for paint job. Since I wanted a 'different' color (Olive Green was ruled out due to restrictions, as informed by some jeepers), I opted for a color used by some BSF jeeps in Rajasthan. Lots of mix & match later, I could get the desired shade.

Painter was again taking his sweet time & juggling his time amongst 5-6 vehicles. This part also took 18 days.

Anyways, we got the paint done, and vehicle was ready for assembly.

In the meanwhile, I was also hunting for a hard top. It was considered for the safety of vehicle, as I live in society and we have very anthusiastic youngsters there (coming from my earlier experiences relating to my RE 500). I got a decent hard top for 6k, which was also painted.

Th vehicle was ready now, and was looking good! after 45 days of daily pilgrimage to mayapuri, I was relieved, and excited!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0006.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0008.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0009.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0292.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0297.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild - Bushranger-dscn0295.jpg  

Old 20th January 2010, 15:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ashish B, looks like your vehicle's engine was 'overhauled' and 'rebuilt' according to your photos.

the gypsy was bought on 18/06/09 and the engine's open heart surgery was done the next day!

looking forward to seeing the photos of WIP to restore/rebuild your Bushranger!

safe driving.
Old 20th January 2010, 15:23   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys for the attention.

@ parm: yes, dates are correct. The guys at mayapuri have very high speed in starting work on any project, which eventually goes down.

@ Jealousdiamond: The price quoted for engine opening, and checking for parts is 6k, parts/ boring extra if needed. That is the hook of Mayapuri. It is a long story. Now since we have started, I will take you thru the entire process. Reg the vehicle price, I think in last few months they have come down, in June this as the best that we could manage.

@ Beejay: I had seen Bushranger logo on may of Australian 4x4 vehicles, and was hooked to it! Some research on historical aspect of the word also helped!
Old 20th January 2010, 15:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Well really so far so good . though paying 92 K , well honestly a minus of 7-10 % would just have been correct price . Anywasy forget it ,its a Gypsy afterall, one lives with jeeps / Gypsies

The date on the pic says june 09 and at that time the auctioned 99 gypsis were that expensive, I recently enquired and the prices were les than 80k for a 99 model, and 18k for reg(pb)/5 k for temp delhi reg.

The problem is at this price the vehicle might look tempting but speending another 100k on it to make it reliable means a lot.

For 200k You can lay your hands on some good MPFI civilaian Gypsis(rare) if you wanna avoid all the restoration hickups.

Pramod
Old 20th January 2010, 23:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good to finally see your thread up and running!!! I once you get the thread uptodate there are a couple of pictures that i too have of your thread which I will add later.

@pramod
Quote:
For 200k You can lay your hands on some good MPFI civilaian Gypsis(rare) if you wanna avoid all the restoration hickups.
That easier said thant done buddy! For this kind of money only civilian battered gypsys are availabble. Any decent post 204 civilian MPFI's are not less then 2.75-300k or more. This main thing with gypsys are whosoever buys a 5.5 lac gypsy buys it generally as a hobby vehicle and very less of these gyspys ever hit the IIInd hand market. Not to mention that the new vehicle sale again is very less in numbers in the 1st place.

Atleast this was my experience. I was on the lookout for MPFS since Sept 09 and the 1st decent vehicle I came across was in December 09.

Last edited by harjeev : 20th January 2010 at 23:59.
Old 21st January 2010, 09:16   #12
BHPian

Guys,

As I will take you thru my journey, I would like to clarify a point (which I have learnt the hard way)

A GYPSY, FOR OUR KIND OF USE, WHICH IS IN PRIME HEALTH & RELIABLE WILL REQUIRE ATLEAST 2.5 - 3 LAC. NOTHING LESS!
IT IS A MATTER OF PERSONAL CHOISE/ TIME AT HAND/ AVAILABILITY ETC IF ONE GOES FOR A CIVILIAN GYPSY OF A REBUILD PROJECT.

We have many examples of good civilian Gypsies, which have costed 3 - 3.5 Lac (2004 of later models), which are very hard to find. Any later than that (2001-2002) or oler Carb models, the expense would be more or less same. In a rebuild project, one is very sure of the reliability (or weaknesses) of the vehicle.

Anyway, thanks guys for your time & attention, I will continue with my posts on further action.

Cheers!

ashish
Old 21st January 2010, 09:38   #13
BHPian

Hey,
I have also become 'BHPian", finally! many thanks dear mods. It is a delight to be a part of BHP! Cheers!!

Anyways, continuing with the Bushranger story, the vehicle was ready for the first trial ride.

So far, we had done the engine, denting & painting work, and refirbushing (mats, lights, smaller parts, seat covers etc.). The battery was purchased from the mechanic himself, who had a 6 month old SF battery, for 1800/-.

So, we start the vehicle, smooth, the mechanic drives it and I accompany him. Very excited. Mechanic informs me that it is running nicely, and as the engine becoms 'rava', it will become smoother. Good. Took it to nearby petrol pump for fuel. There, we realized that the tank was ruptured!! This is minor, happens with ex-army vehicles, I am informed.

So we bring it back, get a new fuel tank (4k), new fuel pipe, fuel line etc. Took one more day.

Next day, when I reach there, the left rear wheel is open (??), I was informed that the axel was welded, and broke when the mechanic was taking a trial.

Cant help it, whatever, we get an old axel from a scrap dealer (3k), and fix it.

By evening, we are again ready. So, we move to the nearby petrol pump, get fuel and back to drop the mechanic.

Now, the bill is produced. To my amazement, all parts (many of them were old parts, purchased from scrap dealers) bill was 25k. plus additional mechanical bill of 4k for electrical and mechnical work. No clear detail is available. I pay whatever is in my pocket, promise of balance for next day, and leave for home to show my 'trophy' to my people.

As I had never driven Gypsy (except 2-3 times with my friends) I find the ride strange, but can not pin point.

In a few km, I realize that the steering has huge play (almost 90-100 digrees), the tyres are bald, so again vehicle was moving like an untamed bull! Lights were dim, AND THE CURRENT WARNING LIGHT WAS ON.

Reach home, keep the observations to myself, as all at home are very excited. take them for a joyride. Good. I think the issues are minor, and we will sort them out soon.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
The guys at mayapuri have very high speed in starting work on any project, which eventually goes down.

Thats the case with all the mechanics / garages
Their concept is something like " chalo engine khol dete hain , band apni speed se karenge " and you are stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
@pramod
That easier said thant done buddy! For this kind of money only civilian battered gypsys are availabble. Any decent post 204 civilian MPFI's are not less then 2.75-300k or more. This main thing with gypsys are whosoever buys a 5.5 lac gypsy buys it generally as a hobby vehicle and very less of these gyspys ever hit the IIInd hand market. Not to mention that the new vehicle sale again is very less in numbers in the 1st place.
Truly said Harjeev , That remains the quirk of fate that one is not able to find a good condition MPFI @ a decent price

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 21st January 2010 at 10:55.
Old 21st January 2010, 12:25   #15
BHPian

Hi Ashish

Good post. Thanks for sharing your experience with others who plan to venture down the "mayapuri restoration" path. As we have seen from Harjeev's experiences and now from your posts that A.S.S. are better for these restorations.

Cheers
Ankit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks