Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 22:56   #16
BHPian

Hi Harjeev you are correct in every way and yes it needs alot of patience to work on these jeeps. Been working on these jeeps for a complete year i personally do get tired running around for spares and other stuff but these army jeeps have a more stronger chassis what we get these days.... as all these have been reinforced by MARUTI itself for the ARMY.... hence making it more reliable in terms of wear n tear, thats why u wont see any damaged chassis. The work if done in the right way its a sucuss in the 1st go.... Like Abhey's jeep we havent faced any problem till now except there is a play in the steering but that could also be rectified once it comes back for servicing after 1000 kms. Well we have to give these jeeps some time before its road worthy because these jeeps have been lying abandoned for years or months before the auction takes place.

Now coming to the estimate what MOTOCRAFT has given i can give a fully rally prepared in 3.5 lacs and road worthy without the FIA belts.

Now 1.3L engine is not slow if proper set up of the car is done and u have a decent header and a gud air intake system... comparing to 1.6L parts are not easy to get and its way to expensive, now i have bought spares for my engine from Motorcraft and waited for a month to get my pistons and con rods.... everything that has been used in my baleno engine is SGP and it costed me a heavy budget to do that. So anyone who is thinking to implant 1.6L needs to be well prepared for the expence involved in overhauling the 2nd engine that you get from Junk Market.

Baleno con rods are 2906SGP a pc, baleno 0.50 piston wht i have used well wasnt available they got that for me on speciall order costed me 1900 each, MGP rings 1900 approx, valves 2125, seals 160, SGP clutch wire 1400, clutch bearing again 1400, tensioner bearing 700, seals and other stuff 550, gasket SGP 1750, water pump and oil pump gaskets 300.. if u get lucky u wont require to change oil pump u ll save 3700 so its just in a nut shell what a baleno engine spare can cost.

Cheers....
amanpreet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 23:11   #17
BHPian

Again for the mountings its just a 1 day job and its not a big hassel to fit a baleno engine, but for new comers it could be a pain. Now as what Abhey said about durability one cant figure what goes wrong in a rally....i have seen brand new jeeps out of the rally just breaking of the accelator cable and even because of a fuse link.
Old 26th January 2010, 15:08   #18
BHPian

So should we re-title the thread to army gypsy v/s civillian gypsy for the RAID

@ Aman - buddy, although I'm on board with you that the army chassis' are much more stronger than the civillian part and even if we get the best of the tuners to restore the gypsy, the element of doubt would be there. NO?

I'm guessing this based on the fact that the Quality control at MUL would be much much better than an individual tuner and the equipment too. No, or am i totally off-base here?

So as a rally enthusiast, what should oneconsider, army chassis or civillian engine
Old 27th January 2010, 04:40   #19
BANNED

there is nothing like what is better - Army or Civilian. Any of them in the hands of a good tuner would perform equally well. I think you are wrong at the MUL vs. Tuner statement here.
Old 27th January 2010, 05:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. Raid needs more agility and low end pick up than top end speed. So If you are going the rebuilt way and T1 think even beyond the engine. Think of gear box possibilities and final drive ratios. Think how you can fit disks all around.
Whenever doing a rebuild. After engine and mechanicals are set and beded down do a complete wiring harness and rubben tubing change. Complete. Raids have been lost for want of a few bucks worth of tubing or wiring harness shorts!!
Aman would tell you stories....
Old 27th January 2010, 15:17   #21
BHPian

Now after doing army jeeps i would stick to army 1s bec i guess now i m more confident specially in terms of there chassis... set up take time.
I guess i should take some of you in my own rally gypsy which is 98 model.
Well as my rally is coming close i am putting a baleno engine so that headache of run in period is there before i can actually rev hard.

I agree with sudev sir... If you send it a MUL they do a basic job but if you send to a tuner or anyone who does rally mods would even look into the strengthening points as where the max damage can take place.
You ll get your mechicals done at MUL and the again open everything for a rally preparation. What matters is spares should be genuine fitting can be done by anyone.

Well again its your jeep, your money and you are the best judge to take a call.

there is nothing like what is better - Army or Civilian. Any of them in the hands of a good tuner would perform equally well. I think you are wrong at the MUL vs. Tuner statement here. I agree on this statement.

Cheers...

Moderator's Note: Please do not make these back to back posts. Use the multiquote button to respond to multiple people at one go. If you missed something you can add to your previous post by clicking the Edit button (first 20 minutes).

We have merged all your posts for now.
Old 28th January 2010, 04:26   #22
BANNED

Aman - yea you should take some guys to take a ride on your gypsy.

I have seen what Aman has done with Abhey's gypsy.

Now, before i start - i am not a gypsy fan. I do not like them for the very very dated interiors, ride comfort, no power steering and no AC. i have driven a few Gypsies in the Army (Dad & friends) and one New 2008 model of a friend.

One day my Mom calls me and says Abhey has got a new gypsy. i say that's good and a few days later i bump into Abhey's dad who was trying to find the engine & chassis number on the gypsy. i help him find the engine number and in the process i turned on the car and reversed it a little.

Here is the conversation that started -
Me - Uncle, very good vehicle indeed
Uncle - Ya beta
Me - How much did it cost you?
Uncle - i am not sure but i think its around 2.5 - 3 lacs
Me - Waah uncle, so cheap in the army canteen?
Uncle - No Beta, we did not get it from the canteen, it is a 99 model army disposal with a new engine - fully restored
Me - Kya? Are you sure
Uncle - Yea beta
Me - Speechless.. Waaaa

me and Abhey were in the market next day, i was following him in my Performance Auto pipped Accent(which is quite notorious on the road) and i would say i had a tough time catching up with Abhey's Gypsy! In the evening i drove it, it feels like dream, everything is so perfect that even i am going Abhey's way soon

All it takes is one ride a good gypsy for you to change your mind and fall in love with a Gypsy!
Old 28th January 2010, 07:45   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

[OT] Was there a song about never love a gypsy......

With a basic and sturdy vehicle base you can do wonders provided you are willing to get your hands dirty and have money in your wallet.

Chassis, shocks, air intake, exhaust, ECM, gearing, power steering, seats, tyres (no not the OVERSIZE) brakes, leaf springs, free wheeling hubs.....and more!
Old 28th January 2010, 13:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
In the evening i drove it, it feels like dream, everything is so perfect that even i am going Abhey's way soon
Jeez Paras, with the third same buy in a row, we can go to auto dealers with a 1+1 buying offer, and will probably end up getting a huge discount on our new rides.

@Aman - you better start drinking now buddy, so that I can take you out for drinks to thank you for the awesome work.
Old 28th January 2010, 21:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
there is nothing like what is better - Army or Civilian. Any of them in the hands of a good tuner would perform equally well. I think you are wrong at the MUL vs. Tuner statement here.
It's MUL we're talking about and not MASS.
What i mean to say was that would a civilian gypsy with 30-40K on the odo and with a substantial shell life remaning outpeform than a scrap, rebuilt gypsy or would it be the other way around.
I'm yet to see an ex-army rebuilt gypsy finish in the top 3 of a T1 category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Interesting thread. Raid needs more agility and low end pick up than top end speed. So If you are going the rebuilt way and T1 think even beyond the engine. Think of gear box possibilities and final drive ratios. Think how you can fit disks all around.
Whenever doing a rebuild. After engine and mechanicals are set and beded down do a complete wiring harness and rubben tubing change. Complete. Raids have been lost for want of a few bucks worth of tubing or wiring harness shorts!!
The engine mods are just one of the aspects that are being discussed. As soon as i can finalise which type of gypsy, other details would follow.

Till now, i have still not been able to get a conclusive answer. Aman only add's to my trouble as I see that he plans to plonk in a baleno engine too

On a side note, is the gypsy only capable of an upgrade to a Baleno engine or can it withstand more power?
Old 28th June 2012, 13:50   #26
BHPian

Re: Gypsy Carb or King MPFI for the RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanpreet View Post
Now after doing army jeeps i would stick to army 1s bec i guess now i m more confident specially in terms of there chassis... set up take time. I agree on this statement.

Cheers...

Moderator's Note: Please do not make these back to back posts. Use the multiquote button to respond to multiple people at one go. If you missed something you can add to your previous post by clicking the Edit button (first 20 minutes).

We have merged all your posts for now.
I am asking this question on behalf of my friend who is getting a Gypsy rebuilt for Raid and Storm.

"Which would be better - an MPFI engine Gypsy or a Carb Gypsy?"

I was suggesting him to go for something other than Gypsy but budget concerns did him in. Unfortunately sponsors are still not out there in plenty. Hope the situation changes in the near future.

In the meanwhile, request your suggestions on the question.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Gypsy Carb or King MPFI for the RAID

I would opt for MPFI any day. Carb get performance hassle with all that fine dust. In an MPFI all you need to do is keep changing air filters -and these too should be standard ones and not high performance types.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks