Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 17:03   #16
BANNED

Buy a Jeep without papers and use all the parts for your restoration. A Willys LHD is lovely.
Old 26th February 2010, 18:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
A restoration job looks really easy at first but but the end (if you reach there first before pulling your hair off) you will become half a mechanic yourself!!!
I agree....i tried this and my hairs thinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I remember there is this Sikh gentleman in ND who specializes in refurbishing jeeps. Forget his name though.
I may be starting shop soon just kidding..but half a mechanic was rightly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4forever View Post
I want to thank every one for their input, I have been lucky enough to find the original transmission an gear box for 10K. (Petrol Hurricane engine and 4x4 gearbox)
The only question is should I go for the original stuff or should I fit the mahindra Classic engine and gearbox.
Original, original please any day.

Quote:
Or should I put an imported engine from Mayapuri. ( Is it possible to get a matching 4x4 transmission with an imported engine that will fit the CJ3B.)
NO No No NOOOOOOOOOoooooo please!!

Please stick to the advice given above. Now that you have found the petrol engine and gearbox, please try and resurrect the Willy's in its original glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Gogi Bhai,
Few days back,I have shifted to Kolkata. Now meeting with UBS on Weekly basis and soon you will hear about new project from me.

Regards,
Shubhendra
Oh great, please give UBS my regards and tel him he has not replied to my mail Also tell him his receiving messages on PM is turned off.

Lucky you, you will be going on many OTR's with the Legend himself.

Im excited regarding your new project, please start a separate thread, it will im sure be a thread filled with knowledge for all us 4X4 enthusiasts, especially near newbies like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
....anyway since you have jumped into the river, you will learn how to swim!

keep your ride as original as possible, dont spoil it buy putting diesel or imported engines.

listen to the advice of people on this forum and do meet few of them in NCR to gain first hand experience.

best of luck.
Valuable advice from an experienced person.

Quote:
restoration of a jeep is live giving birth to a child....
LOL!! yeah especially the Labour pains
Old 26th February 2010, 19:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the jeep club. Now your peaceful nights and days are over, whichever jeep it is , does not matter.
Do not get a diesel in it at any cost, the Hurricane if done up as it should is very faint music to the ears ( as you can hardly hear it). Stick to everything original you will love it even if your project costs more and takes double your time. A CJ3B restored to its original, is a jeep your grand kids should inherit.
Worth it.
Old 27th February 2010, 01:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm posting the same here which I sent to you as PM.

Point 1

Since you have a Willys LHD CJ3B, I will strongly recommend sticking with Hurricane + 3spd tranny + 5.38 crown pinion as comes in stock Jeep.

The reasons to state the above is that you will not spend much time in restoration, and you will enjoy the petrol jeep ride (I'm sure as it runs silently). Also your jeep resale value becomes good, the moment you touch the stock settings you are running on downside.

If you are expecting more reliability on this combination just find a brand new solex or carter carb, Ucal fuel pump (or any other latest electric fuel pump) and Lucas distributer assembly and keep as spare in the jeep's tools box.

Nothing can go wrong and it will be a real work horse.

Point 2

If you have to use the Peugeot XDP4.99 2112CC 62BHP(discontinued from production) with 4spd KMT90 tranny and 5.38 crown pinion you can get all the parts required to do the alteration, beware you will have to re-fabricate the engine mount part of the chassis. I'm sure no single guy who knows the proper welding of the engine mount and it will result in the followings:

1. wear and tear of clutch setup
2. Unwanted vibrations and excessive noise
3. Damages to the bell housing
4. issues in placing battery and air filter and electrical relays (hence more drilling on the body tub)

If you think of taking little higher or latest model Peugeot XD3P 2456CC 72 or 76BHP (this is also discontinued from production), you still going to face problem after 5 years with original parts. Ofcourse the 4 bullets above also applies to this mod.

Point 3

Big No No No for any imported engine and gearbox setup, The following issues are in addition to the Point 2.

You must know what cross bar to put under the the newly proposed gear box and what kind of torque your existing chassis/differentials can take.

Secondly, you are not sure the height of the engine and if the front differential hits the oil sump of the engine, you are done.

We are having radiator from 1940s technology, think of its use in latest engine otherwise a possible alteration ahead.

Do the floor mounted pedals work with the new engine & gearbox setup ?

If all works, where is alignment of engine and gearbox towards the differentials going to be ? Now you have the differentials under the passenger seat side (considering LHD vehicle)

I will press again here, if you wanted to carry on with point three, just scrap your project and get a nice Toyota Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol or Landrover or Rangerover and enjoy your day.

Some of points which expressed here may be wrong as it is only my assumption, I have posted this here only to get corrected by seniors.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:38   #20

Guys after reading every ones advice I am better of restoring it to the original condition. I am buying the petrol hurricane engine from the same guy, he wants 10K, I have given him an offer for 2K, I am sure some where between we will meet. Once I get every thing I will post all the pics. Buy the way this was owned by the forest department. I am not going to bother doing any modifications, I will restore it.

Trammway and fazalaliadil, thanks for your input. I will definitely restore it.
Old 28th February 2010, 22:18   #21
BHPian

can we have some pictures please?
Old 28th February 2010, 22:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4forever View Post
Guys after reading every ones advice I am better of restoring it to the original condition........
....Once I get every thing I will post all the pics. Buy the way this was owned by the forest department. I am not going to bother doing any modifications, I will restore it.

Trammway and fazalaliadil, thanks for your input. I will definitely restore it.
Hurrah!! Rejoice guys, we have convinced him to Restore to original.

Quote:
I am buying the petrol hurricane engine from the same guy, he wants 10K, I have given him an offer for 2K, I am sure some where between we will meet
I dont think you are going to get anywhere if you offer him that price.

I think you should consider it a deal for 8-10k if it has everything, the carb, the starter, the dynamo, etc. and the gearbox all in one piece. Transmission parts are very easy to come by and not expensive.

We will look forward to this thread.

Meanwhile, you may go through the other CJ restoration threads.

Please post pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks