Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

On being a JEEPer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Spike,

Since we did not have a Serving M&M employee, opening up the BOM for us, I decided to use the South African/Australian name.

Brush is also a term applied to shrubs/shrub land.

When you drive through brush, you brush aside the branches and they snap back on your radiator.

Congratulations on becoming a JEEPer .

Regards,

Arka
Hi Arka Sir, thanks for the info, i didn't know that,you need not be a serving employee to find out things by opening BOMs, nor do i have any BOM for that matter, i don't work on BOMs, for your kind information my association with Jeeps is from the age of 5 (started driving when i was 11 and first drove a MM540DP when i was 12), so i was a JEEPer long time back, although i don't own one

Spike
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
for your kind information my association with Jeeps is from the age of 5 (started driving when i was 11 and first drove a MM540DP when i was 12),

Spike
You drove without a valid Driving License - BAD BOY - wait till i tell ....!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Stgh

Quote:
Hi Arka Sir, thanks for the info, i didn't know that,you need not be a serving employee to find out things by opening BOMs, nor do i have any BOM for that matter, i don't work on BOMs, for your kind information my association with Jeeps is from the age of 5 (started driving when i was 11 and first drove a MM540DP when i was 12), so i was a JEEPer long time back, although i don't own one

Spike
STGH.

Spike, its an M&M Trend, Most M&M employees don't own JEEPs.

Regards,

Arka
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No.

I am no expert. So open to confirmation.

As an aside, I am aware that the American chassis one came with coil springs at the rear.
Do you mean the Ford GPW and the Willy's MB?
Even the RCLs came with coils at the rear, that was because of the Recoiless Gun mounted on its back. I have since removed them for sake of ride comfort...whatever can be gained..

Quote:
...my association with Jeeps is from the age of 5 (started driving when i was 11 and first drove a MM540DP when i was 12),
If you would have been caught at that time maybe your handle would have been SPIKE ARRESTED...just kidding.

My question still unanswered....Gurus?
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
No.

I am no expert. So open to confirmation.

As an aside, I am aware that the American chassis one came with coil springs at the rear.
M38A1C used by the Indian & Pakistani Army.

http://www.m38a1.com/images/models/C_Model/38a1c_g.jpg

WarWheels.Net - M38A1C Jeep with 106mm Recoilless Rifle Photos.

Regards,

Arka
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:41   #36
BHPian

Here is one pic of a jeep chassis having Coils @ rear (Its from V-16's restoration thread):

Question is: Why does it have a SFRA, even when it is supposed to be under greater load with Heavy Machines + the Recoil force? So why not FFRA?
Attached Thumbnails
Differences between Army & Civilian Versions-dsc04524-large.jpg  

Old 3rd March 2010, 12:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Ffra

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Here is one pic of a jeep chassis having Coils @ rear (Its from V-16's restoration thread):

Question is: Why does it have a SFRA, even when it is supposed to be under greater load with Heavy Machines + the Recoil force? So why not FFRA?
Hi Offroad Maniac,

The FFRA (2 piece) version was introduced for the 48.4" Track for the Left Off-Set Differential in the 2WD CJ500-101.

Incidentally they are interchangeable while converting a 48.4" Right Off-Set SFRA to FFRA (done that on at least 10 vehicles in Chennai)

Why did the Army RCL not have FFRA -- "BOM" and subsequent changes.

Regards,

Arka

PS - The Army Workshop did an interesting "FFRA" conversion for GS CJ3B to adapt a hub winch on the Rear Axle for the CJ3B.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:35   #38
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
The FFRA (2 piece) version was introduced for the 48.4" Track for the Left Off-Set Differential in the 2WD CJ500-101.
On the one hand, if the rear propeller shaft is taken directly from the gearbox in a 2WD, you only need a differential centred in the track, as it is in all the US Jeeps.

On the other hand, if the rear propeller shaft is from the Spicer 18 transfer case, which is always right offset from the gearbox in a 4WD, you need a right offset differential.

Why would you ever need a left offset differential ?
Was it really left offset ?

Ram
Old 13th October 2010, 11:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

off-set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
On the one hand, if the rear propeller shaft is taken directly from the gearbox in a 2WD, you only need a differential centred in the track, as it is in all the US Jeeps.

On the other hand, if the rear propeller shaft is from the Spicer 18 transfer case, which is always right offset from the gearbox in a 4WD, you need a right offset differential.

Why would you ever need a left offset differential ?
Was it really left offset ?

Ram
Hi Ram,

The Left Off-Set Differential was born out of necessity, Its easier to convert a Right Off-Set to Left-Off-Set vice-versa.

So that is what M&M Did when they launched the 2WD CJ4A/CJ4, in the 1960s.

I have done that to a Bolero 53" 1 piece FFRA to fit in my 1996MM540XD, works like a charm.

And if it was not Left Off-Set, we could not have converted 15+ CJ3B's to 2 Piece FFRA, since we are using the 4WD right off-set Diff Housing .

Regards,

Arka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks