Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 03:01   #16
BHPian

Hi Gs,
The mods list looks good! Best of luck with your new vehicle!

I've recently purchased BF Goodrich 215/75 tyres for my gypsy, and they're far better than the stock tyres. From what I hear, they're better for offroading as well, as compared to michelins or yokohamas. Although, on-road ride quality is supposed to be better, with the michelins. Since you're purchasing a gypsy, I guess offroading will be quite important to you - hence, my vote goes to the BFG's!

You can check out my vehicle anytime (well, almost anytime!). Im put up in Bandra.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4forever View Post
Hi
I think you should wait, as Mahindra is coming out with a small SUV, it will be priced less than a Scorpio.
My brother (stolen bolero) will be picking up the Mahindra Thar. We plan to have both these 4x4s in the family and tossing coins for the keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
Hi Gs,
The mods list looks good! Best of luck with your new vehicle!

I've recently purchased BF Goodrich 215/75 tyres for my gypsy, and they're far better than the stock tyres. From what I hear, they're better for offroading as well, as compared to michelins or yokohamas. Although, on-road ride quality is supposed to be better, with the michelins. Since you're purchasing a gypsy, I guess offroading will be quite important to you - hence, my vote goes to the BFG's!

You can check out my vehicle anytime (well, almost anytime!). Im put up in Bandra.
Thanks Imran Bhai - will get in touch with you via PM. Lets exchange numbers - I work at BKC so if possible, would like to meet you as early as possible.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:36   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I only just read your first post, was about to type in my recommendations and then read post no.14. CONGRATS! You really cannot go wrong with a brand new Gypsy. Jap reliability, zero-hassle nature (unlike Mahindra 4x4s) and an absolute mountain goat. Basic 4x4s are a dying breed, best to pick 'em up while they are around

Do search through the many Gypsy threads. Lots of information to be picked up.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I only just read your first post, was about to type in my recommendations and then read post no.14. CONGRATS! You really cannot go wrong with a brand new Gypsy. Jap reliability, zero-hassle nature (unlike Mahindra 4x4s) and an absolute mountain goat. Basic 4x4s are a dying breed, best to pick 'em up while they are around

Do search through the many Gypsy threads. Lots of information to be picked up.
Thanks GTO Bhai. I am pretty excited as well. Trying to get in touch with the guys who seem to know the most through experience so I can get some help with the mods.

Ideally I am hoping one of the Gypsy experts can join me for PDI so that I can be reasonably sure I don't end up with a lemon. I am expecting delivery in 10-12 days.

Maximizing the search functionality right now...
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
...I am expecting delivery in 10-12 days...
Congrats on the new Gypsy

Quote:
... so that I can be reasonably sure I don't end up with a lemon...
I dont think you need to worry about that in a new Gypsy purchase.
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:06   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase and wishing you 'patience' waiting for the delivery of the Gypsy. Don't worry about PDI etc for a Gypsy, as you will not have much options/lots to choose from and also very very very remote chances of it being a lemon :-)

Search through threads here and you will find all sorts of info on Gypsy's -- ranging from off-roader to engine swaps to long distance cruiser. I see that you want to do long distance touring in this, so best is to take inputs from KSM-Vtec as he has gone to Laddakh in his Gypsy and he is from Mumbai. He had built a VERY nice gypsy in a very effective manner.

All the best and have fun.
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hey congratz indeed a wise decision, have fun with the Gypsy
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Congrats on the new Gypsy
Thanks BT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Congrats on your purchase and wishing you 'patience' waiting for the delivery of the Gypsy. Don't worry about PDI etc for a Gypsy, as you will not have much options/lots to choose from and also very very very remote chances of it being a lemon :-)

Search through threads here and you will find all sorts of info on Gypsy's -- ranging from off-roader to engine swaps to long distance cruiser. I see that you want to do long distance touring in this, so best is to take inputs from KSM-Vtec as he has gone to Laddakh in his Gypsy and he is from Mumbai. He had built a VERY nice gypsy in a very effective manner.

All the best and have fun.
Thanks Khan Bhai. I met KSM and drove his Gypsy as well. Motivated me to get my own. I am going to do Leh/Khardung La/Marsimek La and Pangong Tso this year with this Gypsy. Will need your help. Looking forward to meeting you in Bangalore for Gypsy-talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hey congratz indeed a wise decision, have fun with the Gypsy
Thanks Jaggu. I guess I'll have to learn Yiddish very soon

UPDATE:

Was at the dealership today finishing up the paperwork. Finances are a bit tight so had to sell off the TZR-250 (which magically found an owner and left me for good this morning).

Oddly it is quite difficult to get financing from private banks for the Gypsy as it is not a commodity item. HDFC refused me on the phone...despite me taking a 4L loan from them for the MT01. Spoke to some of the more sensible people in HDFC and we've worked out a deal that still needs some fine-tuning.

SBI on the other-hand isn't bothered what car you buy...they aren't bothered about the make/model etc. They just take their own sweet time to process and approve and time isn't something I have working for me at the moment. If I don't register this car before April 1st - I may not be able to do it at all.

So - despite having enough money in hand for the down-payment, I may have to do some more "Jhol" to get things back in order. Let me see...

Another update to come tomorrow once HDFC move their butt into gear
Old 2nd March 2010, 19:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Wish you all the best for your loan processing . I am sure you will find a way to get the Gypsy in your garage before 1st April

Quote:
....Thanks Khan Bhai. ... Will need your help. Looking forward to meeting you in Bangalore for Gypsy-talk....
Any time. You can also take inputs from Vijay (swastikviji). He drove all the way from Bangalore to these places and back in Gypsy.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting Gypsied.

From which dealer are you picking up your vehicle, if its Vitesse, you are good to go.

Dont ever go to Spectra. There was lot of issues with their service and also the quality of the new cars delivered.

Enjoy your drive.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

@gsferrari

Its raining gypsys on teambhp these days!!! Congrats on taking the decision and best of luck with the loan formalities.
Gypsys are wonderfully reliable and the best part is all parts are easily and widely available. I too recently purchased one and found quite a decent piece, if I hadn't found one, I would have definitely booked a new one myself.
Cheers to your new ride!!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guru,
Was just replying to your PM and you've already booked it!
Cheers buddy and enjoy your new Gypsy.
Deepak

PS: Don't expect too much from that Hard-Top. Anybody can open the rear windows and my 4-month old Hard-Top already has cracks and the outer layer is peeling off!!
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
You can also take inputs from Vijay (swastikviji). He drove all the way from Bangalore to these places and back in Gypsy.
I will get in touch with him sir. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Congrats on getting Gypsied. From which dealer are you picking up your vehicle, if its Vitesse, you are good to go.
Dont ever go to Spectra. There was lot of issues with their service and also the quality of the new cars delivered. Enjoy your drive.
Thanks Desmo - I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Its raining gypsys on teambhp these days!!! Congrats on taking the decision and best of luck with the loan formalities.
Gypsys are wonderfully reliable and the best part is all parts are easily and widely available. I too recently purchased one and found quite a decent piece, if I hadn't found one, I would have definitely booked a new one myself.
Cheers to your new ride!!!
Thanks Harjeev. I just love the wonderful simplicity of this no-muss no-fuss vehicle. The only additions I am making at this time is dealer-fitted AC and AT tyres (still researching to figure out which way to go).

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Guru,
Was just replying to your PM and you've already booked it!
Cheers buddy and enjoy your new Gypsy.
Deepak

PS: Don't expect too much from that Hard-Top. Anybody can open the rear windows and my 4-month old Hard-Top already has cracks and the outer layer is peeling off!!
Thanks Deepak. I am in the midst of planning my leh, ptso, m-la, kinnaur trip with HVKumar and he absolutely warned me off the soft-top. Once I ma back from this trip I will probably switch to soft-top or get a cabin made for the front seats alone with a soft-top for the rear-seats.
Old 3rd March 2010, 19:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

It is done. Financing is through...made the DP and my Gypsy will be on it's way to me tomorrow.

Phew...all this effort for a piece of history!

I am excited like you won't believe. Have some interesting cosmetic modifications in mind. I'll be calling some of you for some inputs soon.

You guys are fantastic! Next update after I get my baby!
Old 3rd March 2010, 20:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Way to go Mate. Would definitely wanna have a peek at your Brand New Gypsy!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks