Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 21:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the jeep!!!
My vote too is same as shibus as if IIRC war models and even 2A's and 3A's came is FFRA.

What engine does the vehicle has check that and also take a note of the chassis no from the chassis and not from the RC. The chassis no is engraved on the chassis. enclosed a pic for your reference
Attached Thumbnails
My Willys CJ Low Bonnet - Need Help-136973.jpg  

Old 18th April 2010, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on the jeep!!!
My vote too is same as shibus as if IIRC war models and even 2A's and 3A's came is FFRA.

What engine does the vehicle has check that and also take a note of the chassis no from the chassis and not from the RC. The chassis no is engraved on the chassis. enclosed a pic for your reference
Hi Harjeev
Thanks for pointing that out - all of you are right its a CJ3B.
It has a PGO Diesel Engine.

The Jeep is with the Doc now getting the missing 4WD Propeller Shaft fixed & a few minor things -

Got the 4WD active
Checked the gear box n transmission & changed oil.
The brakes were very hard & were getting jammed - Got them fixed.
Should have the jeep back tomorrow :-)
Old 19th April 2010, 12:42   #18
Team-BHP Support

Saw your jeep on saturday, looks good! So next time you are going to be offroad ready eh
Old 20th April 2010, 09:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Saw your jeep on saturday, looks good! So next time you are going to be offroad ready eh
Hi Jaggu,
Am so eagerly waiting for an OTR now.
Your jeep's scissor top is amazing i was checking with Raju to see if i can get one done for my jeep. Any inputs from you would greatly help.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

DwArF has the same scissor frame as that in your jeep, only the cover is different. If you want to take dimensions let me know, and if you are throwing away the current one ill take it Seriously the one on your jeep looks much better, though in rains the side cover in mine helps.
Old 20th April 2010, 17:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
DwArF has the same scissor frame as that in your jeep, only the cover is different. If you want to take dimensions let me know, and if you are throwing away the current one ill take it Seriously the one on your jeep looks much better, though in rains the side cover in mine helps.
Hi Jaggu,
You are always welcome to take mine Jaggu, the only problem is that its not water proof & it seeps all over the top its almost like being in the rain while you are still covered.
This has lead to the Tub rusting to some extent along with the tool box under the driver seat to a great extent.
I will keep you posted as soon as i have a new top ;-) for the jeep let me know if you would still be interested.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:36   #22
BHPian

The Jeep is back from the clinic yes its called Auto Clinic Run by Mr. Raju.
Here are a few things which were taken care of -

1. Got the front Propeller Shaft Assembly - Joint Star 2 nos. to fix the same.
2. Gear Box oil & Oil seal changed
3. Engine Oil Changed
4. Oil Filter
5. Front Wheel Cylinder assembly
6. Brake Oil tanked up
7. Differntial Oil
8. Greasing off Wheel Baring
9. Missing center mirror replaced.
10. Indicator / Horn switch assembly replaced.
11. Changed Clutch Cable.
12. Changed Radiator Hose & Hose Clips.

+ The labour Charges ofhhhhhh....

To be continued.... my first experience with 4x4 after all the works .....
Old 27th April 2010, 11:06   #23
BHPian

Test Driving with 4WD for the first time.

We (Me & Raju) took the jeep out of the garage into the small open field tried to switch to 4WD mode Low in 1st gear the trying became more of a hammering job with bare hands & finally with rajus help managed to slot it in moved a little further i felt that there was absolute lack of power but raju says that's how the crawl mode works surp.. i still have questions in my mind ...
We switched to 4 high but this time with a little less effort after the lessons on using the 4wd gears & the lack of power was not felt to that extent.
After a few rounds we were back at the garage.

A few minor things taken care of before i take the jeep home & its all windy & the sky gods are ready to shower.

Filled Diesel for Rs. 500 & turned around a little further & realized that the horn which was fixed is not working any more :-(
Slotting into 1st gear makes a lot of noise like an old bus or lorry.
Reached Old Madras road & by then the idling drops had to use my right leg on both the accelerator & the break at the same time.
With great difficulty reached koramangala & it starts raining.
Am drenched sitting under the soft top which is dripping all over the place.
Tried to keep my laptop bag under the seat & the engine stops while i was doing this circus.
2 Cranks & it doesn't want to start am in the middle of traffic in rain with the impatient Bangalore bikers & cars are honking to glory.
Am sweating in spite of being drenched & tried once more & it starts as if nothing was wrong & then again the sound of the gear while trying to slot into 1st.
People all around me must have been cursing me for getting this jeep on road in traffic. Stopped a little further after the signal & relaxed a bit trying to push water off the soft top but the dripping never stopped.
Reached home from there in 15 mins with no other major events.
This is one ride i will remember & a calm mind always helps esp. in a jeep which has over 5 decades behind it - Something i realized this day.
Old 27th April 2010, 14:15   #24
BHPian

That's a beauty you have there, Catchkumar! And yeah, I can completely sympathize with you for holding up traffic. I have been in a similar situation at least thrice before, all thanks to my jeep.

By the way, if you do change your soft top, please let me also know where I can find a good deal in Bangalore.
Old 27th April 2010, 16:07   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Test Driving with 4WD for the first time.
=============
This is one ride i will remember & a calm mind always helps esp. in a jeep which has over 5 decades behind it - Something i realized this day.
Welcome to the world of jeep's. Its a second hand old machine, be prepared for few months, once you take care of these small niggles she will perform well and the you can bully the heck out of traffic. I try to keep it to the slow lane if i have the faintest feeling that vehicle is misbehaving, have saved me some honks coz of this. Also ensure you carry some basic tools in the vehicle, Murphy will always play havoc when you are least prepared. Ask me, it has happened twice since i bought the jeep Lucky for me, both the time i had many jeepers around me!

Yours is a 3 speed right, then first gear is non synchro and will not engage easy/without clash if the vehicle is moving. Other than this, is there noise from the front axle while cruising? My advice ignore it for sometime, in my vehicle the sounds surprisingly came down after i started running the jeep more. So drive around some more and then report back to clinic. Good thing is clinic is very open to feedbacks and will give it n number of try's if you are not happy.

Once the front axle settles well its a very good idea to get the free wheeling hubs installed, this will save life of the front axles as well as save you effort and should give you slightly better FE. But ensure to lock em once in a while for parts to move and get the lubrication.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th April 2010 at 16:14.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanarthur View Post
That's a beauty you have there, Catchkumar! And yeah, I can completely sympathize with you for holding up traffic. I have been in a similar situation at least thrice before, all thanks to my jeep.

By the way, if you do change your soft top, please let me also know where I can find a good deal in Bangalore.
Thanks a lot for understanding & the comments Rohan feels happy to hear about your prized possessions from all. :-)

On the soft top - I know a guy who can do it up for us & he is too good however the challenge is in getting the white canvas material for which i have tried every single shop on JC Road here in Bangalore with hardly any Luck.

TeamBHP - Pressing the F1 button in bold :-) Help please.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of jeep's. Its a second hand old machine, be prepared for few months, once you take care of these small niggles she will perform well and the you can bully the heck out of traffic. I try to keep it to the slow lane if i have the faintest feeling that vehicle is misbehaving, have saved me some honks coz of this. Also ensure you carry some basic tools in the vehicle, Murphy will always play havoc when you are least prepared. Ask me, it has happened twice since i bought the jeep Lucky for me, both the time i had many jeepers around me!

Yours is a 3 speed right, then first gear is non synchro and will not engage easy/without clash if the vehicle is moving. Other than this, is there noise from the front axle while cruising? My advice ignore it for sometime, in my vehicle the sounds surprisingly came down after i started running the jeep more. So drive around some more and then report back to clinic. Good thing is clinic is very open to feedbacks and will give it n number of try's if you are not happy.

Once the front axle settles well its a very good idea to get the free wheeling hubs installed, this will save life of the front axles as well as save you effort and should give you slightly better FE. But ensure to lock em once in a while for parts to move and get the lubrication.

Jaggu,
Thanks a Lot for all your advice - will surely keep it in mind. My next task on hand is to get the basic tools as suggested by you.
A basic toolset, hose pipes, Tow Tope & Shakles is all i can think of for now with the limited budget post all the work this month so... am waiting for 1st of May hopefully with a good good hike... ;-)

You are right - My Jeep is a 3 speed & it has problems only with the 1st gear not just while on the move but even when i try it from stand still.

The Free Wheeling Hubs should come in June for sure while the month of May will end up with some more basic work.

Jaggu can you please give us some directions on where you sourced the canvas from for your jeep though not white i rather save myself from some water over the head rather than wait endlessly.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

I guess we are in the same boat wrt tools, tow rope etc. Priority thing for me also.

Reg the soft top, this came with the jeep so i don't have any info where this was done, but yes if you want to check it out for design do let me know.
Old 28th April 2010, 12:28   #28
BHPian

Jaggu
The top was done by Anthony (his place is just off JC road)
Lotsa jeep / Gypsy guys get their tops done by him.

hope this helps

Cheers
GB
Old 28th April 2010, 13:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

GB do you have his contacts if so share it here, it will be useful for catch and others.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:14   #30
BHPian

Antony's number is 9880075578
Do call and take an appointment.

Cheers
GB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks