Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2010, 01:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

A Tractor for OTR Excursions - would it be fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Excuse me , My Lords . Is this MGE is for M&M vehicles ?

If yes then

What if some one brings in a Mahindra Which is essentially a two wheel drive but can & does recovers 4X4 's ?
Clue : The rear wheels of this vehicle are Bigger, three times then the front ones .

Note : Its no joke . Any one may do that some day .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sudarshan, Mahindra tractors can't go everywhere a normal 4WD can go. Prime example being steep climbs or descends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
during past Great Escapes, especially in Rajasthan, we used to actually hire tractors and make them stand at strategic places to pull vehicles out. 99% of the time, the drivers were scared to even enter the obstacles, let alone do any actual pulling. They were convinced that we were indeed completely mad to even attempt to do what we were actually doing, so I am quite comfortable on this point. .
This exchange of posts on another thread got me wondering - can a tractor tackle the types of terrain that are encountered on OTRs? Agreed, they are not exactly designed for rock-crawling, but mud and slush are just a day's work for these machines.

So I tried to do some research today, and Youtube helped.

Here's what I found:

Tractors can certainly climb slopes, as we find from these two videos.

These machines prefer the rough to the smooth, and handle a lot more than just pulling farming implements. In the process, one could probably help the whole team.

And of course, some of these things sure can beat a 4WD hollow for traction!

As to comfort, some of these thingies even have a suspension-mounted cab for driver comfort.

Of course, 4x4s impress the girls, a tractor doesn't. So how about trying out this?

or even this...

I know, tractors are not entirely unstoppable...

but then neither are 4x4s.

And given a choice, would you do this to a 20-odd-lakh-INR vehicle, or just replace it with a tractor? LOL...

No, I'm not about to run out and buy a tractor and take it to the NIOC Meet 2 weeks later. I can't obviously drive/park one in the middle of a metropolitan city. Heck, I've never had the opportunity to drive one yet (but I'd love to, given the opportunity, some day). But other BHPians can and do use tractors.

Can we please hear about the suitability (or not) of the tractor as an OTR machine? Would they be fun, or would the Gypsies and M&Ms leave them far behind?
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 02:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Tractor will do very good in many trails, but you would need a day to drive just 100kms in a tractor. So if you host otrs at your farm, its a good bet, but if you are planning to go to OTRs in one, make sure you start very early.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 02:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have been toying with the same idea for sometime. It would be fun to use the same in OTR meets to undo what others have done unto themselves. Infact given the current traffic and road conditions it may be a great idea to use one as my everyday ride in a couple of years.

Will explore the idea further with Same tractors to explore the feasibility of getting one with an enclosed operators cab with some creature comforts built in. Could also be the most economical way for me to actually own a Lamborghini product as shown in my desktop background per the attachment.

BTW SS-Traveller what is this NIOC meet?
Attached Thumbnails
A Tractor for OTR Excursions - would it be fun?-lamborghini-tractor-r8.jpg  

Last edited by khoj : 1st August 2010 at 02:51.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 10:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This exchange of posts on another thread got me wondering - can a tractor tackle the types of terrain that are encountered on OTRs? Agreed, they are not exactly designed for rock-crawling, but mud and slush are just a day's work for these machines.

No, I'm not about to run out and buy a tractor and take it to the NIOC Meet 2 weeks later. I can't obviously drive/park one in the middle of a metropolitan city. Heck, I've never had the opportunity to drive one yet (but I'd love to, given the opportunity, some day)
Can we please hear about the suitability (or not) of the tractor as an OTR machine? Would they be fun, or would the Gypsies and M&Ms leave them far behind?
For mudplugging, short of a tracked vehicle, the ultimate. For everything else, no.

In any case, not for us sissies or posers please, thank you.
No suspension. (The spring is in the seat). But with superb front axle articulation.
Almost nonexistent brakes.
Very poor stability (Very high CoG, comparatively narrow track)
Poor P/W ratio, and Max speed (which is 10x higher than max safe speed)
No hardtop or AC. (Some models have PS)
Most are not 4x4 (though most of your posted videos show 4x4s)
After all the hard work, no place for GF.

The real men can take a stab at it though.
You can spend a lifetime searching (army disposal 4x4 tractors!) and modifying it.
Adding PTO winches a breeze.
Extremely easy to do wheelies.
Speeds are low enough so that MLDs don't pose handling problems.
Hose down interiors and exteriors.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 1st August 2010 at 10:26.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 10:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Infact given the current traffic and road conditions it may be a great idea to use one as my everyday ride in a couple of years.
what about FE lol.
4~6 km/liter sounds good for you?

i would like to know what other 4x4 gurus think about it.

if i had money i will buy 4x4 same tractor.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post2002885

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ml#post2004532

BTW first pic is my wallpaper which i created from scanned brochure.
Quote:

jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2010, 11:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...you would need a day to drive just 100kms in a tractor.
Top speeds of good tractors can be even 50 km/h AFAIK. 2-3 hours' journey to an OTR event 100 km away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
BTW SS-Traveller what is this NIOC meet?
Check here... Login | Facebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Most are not 4x4 (though most of your posted videos show 4x4s)
After all the hard work, no place for GF.

The real men can take a stab at it though.
I meant 4x4 tractors only.

Place for GF? In the trailer....
Old 1st August 2010, 13:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think certain 4x4 tractor parts could be used (at the very least) to make a hybrid off roader. E.G. the whole drive train, wheels, tyres and axles thereof.

A rain sensitive windshield, wet bar and leather seats would be on the deluxe edtion. You may have to give up some roadability if you go this route.

It might look a bit like this: and, yes, it would be fun IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
A Tractor for OTR Excursions - would it be fun?-rock-reaper-1-250-x-182.jpg  

Last edited by DirtyDan : 1st August 2010 at 13:42.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Top speeds of good tractors can be even 50 km/h AFAIK. 2-3 hours' journey to an OTR event 100 km away.
Our swaraj has a top speed of 50kmph too, but I cannot do more than 30kmph sustained. And at a deep pothole, at such speeds, you can actually land it on its side as there is no suspension "damping". Any bump at high speed can result in a life threatening "flip"
Old 1st August 2010, 20:30   #9
BHPian

Little OT,

The japanese brand Kuboto has released their 4x4 tractors in AP, TN and KA last month. They have nice 8.0-R16 tyres (in the front) that can fit our 16" jeep rim in case some one wants the tractor tyre pattern for extreme slush.
When i called them they said they can supply the tyres too.

A Tractor for OTR Excursions - would it be fun?-tractor.jpg

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 1st August 2010, 22:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Kitti, awesome news! First as I was just about wondering if tractor tyres would work for off roading, within a week, I bumped into DKG's thread. Then as I was wondering if there are any 8.00-16 tyres available in the market that could be used as an upgrade to 7.00-16 NDMS and there you go

Brilliant news, I will prolly keep a set of these and try it over some specific terrain. But these wont be too useful post monsoon I need to remind myself
Old 2nd August 2010, 08:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wow, Doc, I changed my opinion about Tractor. You know, I only like to stare at Tractors & never like to drive them. But you've changed my opinion, especially, the one with suspension mounted cab for driver's comfort. Really amazing; your interest taught me something. Tks.
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It might look a bit like this: and, yes, it would be fun IMHO.
Oh wow! A space-age tractor! Looks like fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Our swaraj has a top speed of 50kmph too, but I cannot do more than 30kmph sustained.
30 km/h sounds good if one doesn't need to travel more than say 50 km. But after that if the fun factor is higher, one shouldn't mind the slower speed on road. What say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Wow, Doc, I changed my opinion about Tractor.
Really amazing; your interest taught me something.
I am simply trying to find out options for going off-road at rock-bottom prices. And AFAIK a tractor is not heavily taxed like a car/SUV is, so the costs would likely be more rational. But whether it is fun will remain to be discovered by actual users.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

HMT Tractors - high speed trantor - 65 HP trantor, 75 HP trantor, 90 HP trantor, 110 HP trantor India
Quote:
HMT Trantor is a versatile tractor developed for the first time in India in technical collaboration with M/s. Trantor Vehicles Limited, UK. This high speed tractor while performing all normal operations in the field, can run at max.speed of 65 kms per hour on road. It is equipped with synchromesh gears, front and rear suspension, cabin and other features for operator's comfort.

suspension :Front : Coil sprung beam axle located by two leading radius arms and telescopic shock absorbers.Rear : Leaf springs with telescopic shock absorbers located on four trailing radius arms.

available in 65hp ,75hp ,90ho ,110hp range.
options
  • Four wheel drive
  • Differential Lock
  • Air Conditioned Safety Cab or Open Cabin with/ without Load Platform
any one interested..
Attached Thumbnails
A Tractor for OTR Excursions - would it be fun?-trantor65.jpg  

Last edited by jeepster : 2nd August 2010 at 12:43.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

In the name of 4x4, where are we heading to ??
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
In the name of 4x4, where are we heading to ??
With scarce availability of 4 WD jeeps /Gypsies and its costs, we are left with no option but to look for 4 WD Tractors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks