Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 11:57   #16
BHPian

You are extremly lucky.Since in the 550 you have a roller bearing it will hold the axle tight else it will slipout in no time.My advice go for full floating axle.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistwrist View Post
You are extremley lucky.Since in the 550 you have a roller bearing it will hold the axle tight else it will slipout in no time.My advice go for full floating axle.
Hi Twistwrist,

Can you please explain about the "Roller Bearing" bit.

In an SFRA the Axle will come out, in a 2 Piece Construction it is held by the Axle Key and C-Clips in the Differential and in 1 Piece Construction by an Axle Retainer (Only in Name).

Regards,

Arka
Old 7th September 2010, 14:57   #18
BHPian

Hi Arka,

Its a taper roller bearing actually.

Here is a link for bearing failure
Tabor's Axle Bearing Outer Retainer Plate

but what do we do in case of shaft failure.

I know your answer FFRA theonly solution.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
that looks very dangerous.
Well SirAlec, yes it sure was dangerous.. but it was my mistake. After the initial problem, one wheel became free in 4x2 mode and the jeep stopped moving, coz the differential was giving power to the free wheel.

I thought that there is some problem in differential or central shaft, so I put it in 4x4 high and start pulling, thinking that we will reach in front wheel drive. That did more damage. The outer shell of bearing got seized to the shaft and one part of bearing went inside and got welded due to heat generated and the wheel got out while pulling it to the side.

We were at slow speeds then but you never know it was an expressway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistwrist View Post
You are extremly lucky.Since in the 550 you have a roller bearing it will hold the axle tight else it will slipout in no time.My advice go for full floating axle.
Yes the outer part of the bearing was holding the axle, otherwise it would have come out. Sadly it got welded to the outer shell of Axle and we had to work really hard to get it removed..
I have no idea about full floating axle. Will read about it once I get time. For now I will simply give it to the mechanic and ask him to check all bearings and replace if slightest doubt. Change the Axle of this wheel as it got a little bend in it and any other part if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
and in 1 Piece Construction by an Axle Retainer (Only in Name).

Regards,

Arka
I think the 550 has this one. I am surprised that a wheel can come out so easily. If the bearing breaks that’s it. No other thing to hold it.. We were lucky enough to be on a flat highway surface, not too far from the city and help was nearby, plus it was a 1.pm in afternoon. Imagine the places and time we go. It would be a big task to get it back home..
Getting it repaired there to get till home was another story which is coming next..
Old 7th September 2010, 20:40   #20
BHPian

Ym-enjn,
You can go for ngcs 550 front and rear differentials.Pls refer to arkas post where he has converted to FFRA on his jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
The Joyride- My MM550-rear-axle1.jpg  

The Joyride- My MM550-front-axle1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks