Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 19:44   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4x4 View Post
Ive gone for the 35 A Amaron battery and also some other spare like the engine oil , gear oil , air filter , fuel filter , side running boards , fan , coolant , coolant box.

Now this guy told me that the carburetor needs to be changed and upon enquiring from MGP i found out that it's costing around 19 k.

Can someone validate if this is what it would cost? I'm currently asking my friend to help me get this as im busy this week with work/marriage at home.

The gypsy started and did a short trip however was wobbling beyond imagination.

@Wanderernomad - The carburetor was a big/expensive surprise thrown at me as rightly mentioned by you.

No way a carb would cost that much, why cant you rebuild the existing carb? Rebuild kits are are available off the shelf.

Pramod
Old 7th December 2010, 19:48   #62
BHPian

Yes, brand new original GYPSY carb (mikuni) costs close to 18K. Dont even think of buying GYPSY carb. Instead go for brand new Esteem (NON-AC) carb which costs 8.5K all inc. The difference between AC and NON-AC carb is around 6K. so make sure you ask for Non- AC esteem carb. BTW, I got mine changed last month.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:58   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The gypsy started and did a short trip however was wobbling beyond imagination.
Its mostly the death wobble, attend to vehicles suspension, steering and king pin. And yes ^^^ esteem carb is good enough and easy to work with.
Old 8th December 2010, 03:40   #64
BHPian

Re: Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Yes, brand new original GYPSY carb (mikuni) costs close to 18K. Dont even think of buying GYPSY carb. Instead go for brand new Esteem (NON-AC) carb which costs 8.5K all inc. The difference between AC and NON-AC carb is around 6K. so make sure you ask for Non- AC esteem carb. BTW, I got mine changed last month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its mostly the death wobble, attend to vehicles suspension, steering and king pin. And yes ^^^ esteem carb is good enough and easy to work with.

Now that sounds like a plan to me. I also found out that it's available ( MGF ) at 12.5 k with lot of Jugaad ( brand new ).

What's worth going for the one that i found out or the esteem non-AC one as i want this vehicle to be strong enough to do long trips and also to LEH if possible by July when the roads open.

Jaggu - What's the death wobble. Does it mean the existing suspension and steering goes into scrap? If yes, then it sounds scary to me ,however since i've already taken the plunge so i might as well fix everything before i even think of taking it anywhere outside delhi.
Old 8th December 2010, 06:04   #65
BANNED

Get yours rebuilt instead of getting a new one. Else, pick up a used one from Mayapuri and rebuilt that if yours is unserviceable.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that sounds like a plan to me. I also found out that it's available ( MGF ) at 12.5 k with lot of Jugaad ( brand new ).

What's worth going for the one that i found out or the esteem non-AC one as i want this vehicle to be strong enough to do long trips and also to LEH if possible by July when the roads open.

Jaggu - What's the death wobble. Does it mean the existing suspension and steering goes into scrap? If yes, then it sounds scary to me ,however since i've already taken the plunge so i might as well fix everything before i even think of taking it anywhere outside delhi.
Gypsy has the cheapest suspension setup.

1600 for all 4 shocks
recamberin the leafs will cost 1500-2000
tie rod - 1000-2000

if the wobble is beyond imagination then check your rims,alignment and tie rod. mostly its death wobble.

Last edited by pdev29 : 10th December 2010 at 12:49.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

Why cant the Carb be rebuilt? If its BER then might as well buy another from Mayapuri, it should be just fine.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Get yours rebuilt instead of getting a new one. Else, pick up a used one from Mayapuri and rebuilt that if yours is unserviceable.
Any ideas as to how much would a used one cost from Mayapuri? And also what about the maruti 1000 non-AC one which would cost around 8.5 k as suggested by someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
Gypsy has the cheapest suspension setup.

1600 for all 4 shocks
recamberin the leafs will cost 1500-2000
tie rod - 1000-2000

if the wobble is beyond imagination then check your rims,alignment and tie rod. mostly its death wobble.
Let me get that checked and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Why cant the Carb be rebuilt? If its BER then might as well buy another from Mayapuri, it should be just fine.
What's BER sir , i'm sorry i'm not familiar with this term
Old 9th March 2013, 22:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

98 Carb Gypsy, Is it worth the effort?

We have a 2007 Scorpio, Indigo Marina and a Maruti Baleno. We are from HP and therefore, have a basic affinity with hills and tracks which pass off as roads. Between me and my brother there are but a few square kms of Himalayas where we have not tread. For mountain guys we are seriously lacking the vehicle complement for our go any where needs and generally the Scorpio and the Marina are made to more than make up than what they were designed for.

However, lately (if 2 years is a reasonable time for thinking that is) we have been wanting to add a 4X4 to the stable that will work as a back up vehicle to the other cars. This vehicle would be used to take us to off road camps leaving the tarmac vehicles on the road head and at times where the Scorpio and tag along, this vehicle would be the vehicle to pull it out of sticky situations.

The options considered and debated upon were:-
1. Sell off Marina and Baleno and buy the THAR crde: but this would not work for the parents nor the wife and the kids. Buying Thar as another vehicle was too costly a proposition.
2. Find an Army Auction 540 and use it: The niggles are a major deterrent as dont want to spend 5 days preparing it for the weekend trip.
3. Get an old Gypsy and mod it to meet the requirements: the reliability of the gypsy plus its super light body made it an obvious choice.

Now came the money part. Since both me and my brother are on a tight budget for our "shauk" we have but a limited money kept aside or that can be spared for our hobby vehicle. This further put a limit on the choices we had. With an initial budget of just about a Lakh of rupees, we started our hunt.

One probable candidate that has come is as follows:

A 98 Carb Gypsy King. Its just that and nothing else. The engine needs a complete rebuild, the suspension needs to be done, upholstry needs to be changed for starters. Now my questions from the gypsy gurus here are:
1. How much for a engine rebuild and how trustworthy would that rebuild be?
2. How much for the suspension work?
3. Is it true that a 98 Carb King would give an FE of about 5-6 kmpl?
4. After 15 years does it need a fitness every year and if yes what does it cost?
5. The guy had removed the drive shaft for the 4X4, and kept it aside. He will give it with the vehicle. What should I be careful about and what could go wrong here?

I am attaching a few pictures of the Gypsy here. Also what would be a reasonable offer for it?
Attached Thumbnails
Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-img20130308wa001.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-img20130308wa000.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-img20130308wa003.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-img20130304wa003.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-img20130304wa004.jpg  

wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 01:31   #70
BHPian

Re: 98 Carb Gypsy, Is it worth the effort?

Came across this advertisement on tbhp classifieds. It seems to be a working engine. Why not plonk in, an unopened healthy engine than rebuilding one? Since this engine is also a carb, transplant should not be too difficult I suppose.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...r-Engine.html/

Seller is a forum member, which is an advantage.
MaSh
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 02:05   #71
BHPian

Replies inline and in bold

Quote:
1. How much for a engine rebuild and how trustworthy would that rebuild be?
Rebuild of a 1 liter engine is a waste of money and effort, go for a 1.3 liter engine, suiting your budget and need.
Anyways the rebuild will cost you near to 30,000 +

2. How much for the suspension work?
Assuming you mean leaf springs rechamberring and new shocks
Leafs rechamber = 2500/ pair (new leafs would cost extra)
Shocks = 5000/- all 4 gas shocks (go for monoreo gas shocks)

3. Is it true that a 98 Carb King would give an FE of about 5-6 kmpl?
Nope its gives 8

4. After 15 years does it need a fitness every year and if yes what does it cost?
FC is for 15 years, would cost you anywhere btw 2000 - 5000rs , depends on your RTO. this is for every vehicle.

5. The guy had removed the drive shaft for the 4X4, and kept it aside. He will give it with the vehicle. What should I be careful about and what could go wrong here?

Check the front diffs, ask him to get the shaft installed and then try engaging the 4 wheel gear.

I am attaching a few pictures of the Gypsy here. Also what would be a reasonable offer for it?
I would quote anywhere btw 60,000 - 80,000 max
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Seller is a forum member, which is an advantage. MaSh
Hey Mash, thanks for marketing for me
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 03:05   #72
BHPian

98 King of this condition only for 80000? Even the Army's base price for the same is more than that. (In South India/ Ordnance Depot, Avadi) It will be rusted, needs some patch works, no battery, no soft-top, will be having bad/flat tyres, torn seats, and even some parts will be missing (carb, exhaust, distributor, drive shaft -or anything depending on our luck)
Old 10th March 2013, 08:45   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This vehicle would be used to take us to off road camps leaving the tarmac vehicles on the road head and at times where the Scorpio and tag along, this vehicle would be the vehicle to pull it out of sticky situations.

1. Sell off Marina and Baleno and buy the THAR crde: but this would not work for the parents nor the wife and the kids.
Considering these points, I feel you don't need a hard core 4WD. A longer chassis 4WD with 4 doors is your best choice. Do consider used Marshals, Armadas with 4WD. If you want to replace Marina/Baleno with a new vehicle, Gurkha can do it despite the 2 door since the entry is lot easier. My cousin travels everywhere with his whole family including mother and sister, in full comfort. The ride comfort on Gurkha and long chassis Mahindras is way ahead of Gypsy. Actually Force Gama would have been perfect if they came in 4WD. You could also consider Mahindra Bolero DI 4WD.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th March 2013 at 08:48.
Old 10th March 2013, 09:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpGypsy View Post
98 King of this condition only for 80000? Even the Army's base price for the same is more than that. (In South India/ Ordnance Depot, Avadi) It will be rusted, needs some patch works, no battery, no soft-top, will be having bad/flat tyres, torn seats, and even some parts will be missing (carb, exhaust, distributor, drive shaft -or anything depending on our luck)
Welcome to North India
This thing wont fetch more than 60-70K,80K will be too much of a stretch for it.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:17   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Considering these points, I feel you don't need a hard core 4WD. A longer chassis 4WD with 4 doors is your best choice. Do consider used Marshals, Armadas with 4WD. If you want to replace Marina/Baleno with a new vehicle, Gurkha can do it despite the 2 door since the entry is lot easier. My cousin travels everywhere with his whole family including mother and sister, in full comfort. The ride comfort on Gurkha and long chassis Mahindras is way ahead of Gypsy. Actually Force Gama would have been perfect if they came in 4WD. You could also consider Mahindra Bolero DI 4WD.
Samurai San a hardcore off roader is required when you consider that at times our camping destinations are so way off road that it takes us about a day to walk to it as in the path there is an obstacle that only a 4X4 can surmount. Yes a gurkha has been on my mind for some time but the cash cow is going through a perennial lean phase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks