Team-BHP - My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   4x4 Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/)
-   -   My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/94139-my-cj340-rebuild-thought.html)

On a lazy saturday morning I was reading TBHP and was going through Samu Sans Jeep Rebuilding Story . When I saw the end product I was amazed to see it and the sleeping desires and demons in my mind really woke up . I too have a CJ340 which I have been slowly and painfully rebuilding for the want to Vitamin M. But these posts and also my undying desire to have a reliable and good looking jeep have driven me the conclusion that I will full rebuild my Jeep in the first half of 2011.

I have already done many small changes in to the Jeep like the following.

Converted it to 4X4 .( It was casterated by the earlier owner I gave him back the zing thing!!! )
Used the single liver transfer case.
New MT tyres
Complete Wiring redone.
4 core Radiator with coolant support
Moving to 540 Axles for better stability and turning radius.
Lot of mechanical work to make it more reliable.

But still it is as unreliable as ever. But I will not turn back unless I make her the beauty i have promised her to make. So these are the work that I have decided to do next year. I hope you people can guide me in doing this to the perfection and also suggest more that has to be done.

Mechanical , Engine , GB and other parts
-----------------------------------------

Disk Brakes and Servo - I will be doing this. This is a big ticket Item i know but I feel this will improve the braking of this beast.
Gear Box Overhaul - This is for preventive maintanence. Should I do this . The items like replacing all the bearings and the stuff. May be I will not .
Starter Motor Overhaul - My Jeep is taking more time to start than normal when I turn the key. Its starting but is taking some time.
New Paper Airfilter & Snorkel - May be I will not do the snorkel.
Leafs Recalibration - Will go with 540 setup of 9 in the front and 10 in the rear.
Moving the Diesel Tank under the seat - The diesel tank is now at the rear. Will have to move it under the seat.
Timer for Ignition
Steering Box Overhaul or Change steering box - There is a lot of play. I know its a Jeep thing. So may overhaul the steering box.
Hand Brake fixing - Will get the set and setup this
Wiring check and correction - If there is any kind of problems this will be fixed.
FIP and injector check and overhaul - Preventive maintanence
Compression check - To make sure Engine is in fine condition.
CFL - This is a dream. Have to see if I will have the money for this.
All rubber hose change - To use highest quality of hoses.
Change all the shocks - Planning to go for gas filled shocks in the front.
FWH - Surprisingly I dont have it till now. This will be installed.
Gear Box sealer change - Looks like its not original.

Cosmetic and convenience
-------------------------------

Complete repainting - Have to repaint it in the fullest sense. Have not decided on the color yet. Only thing decided is that I will not have the clear coat done. Have to think what should I do. Dont like the mat finish too.
Fender repair or change - Its broken (Thank Avalkonda). So have to fix it or change it.
Fix all lights in the dash board - All the lights there are broken or not working. This has to be corrected,
All meters checkup and change if required.
New Bikini Top and also a full top - To make sure it looks good and also offers protection.
Under body coating - Part of the painting job
Chasis painting - Part of painting job
Tool box rebuild - Its rusted and broken in many places. Will rebuild and paint it.
New Sparco seats - This is also a low priority item . May do it.
D Hooks and rear hooks - Can you believe i didnt have it. Will have to fix it.
ORVMS - I dont know what to do here . have to have effective ones installed.
Go for Neolite 714 for better lighting.
Fix all the rattles - This will be a project to itself :-)

Security
------------

Gear lever lock
Bonnet Lock - To secure the Battery
Steering Lock - May be the Mahindra Major one.
Spare Wheel Loc

Thanks Samurai for giving me the ideas through your post. Thanks UBS for assuring me that i will get the necessary things like hand brake kit and the disk brake assembly.
As you see its a fairly big list of items. These are the things that have come to my mind when I am thinking of the rebuild. It is still in very nascent stages but will get more clear when I am trying to do it.

Now comes the question where will I do it. I dont have any idea of this. Was thinking of the place where Samurai rebuilt it . Its about 250 Kms from Bangalore and thats the only deterrent. Is there any other place where I can get this work done with satisfaction and quality.

Is there anything more that i have to check on priority to make sure the Jeep is reliable .

All are welcome and I hope to update this thread when I am having more clarity in my thoghts.

Reply inline in BOLD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baburajs (Post 2185398)
Mechanical , Engine , GB and other parts
-----------------------------------------
Gear Box Overhaul - This is for preventive maintanence. Should I do this . The items like replacing all the bearings and the stuff. May be I will not .
If its working fine, you dont have to. But since you want to make it reliable maybe a good idea to get the job done

Starter Motor Overhaul - My Jeep is taking more time to start than normal when I turn the key. Its starting but is taking some time.
Have you checked the battery and pump? Its a minor job otherwise

New Paper Airfilter & Snorkel - May be I will not do the snorkel.
If you are into water fording get snorkle done. Otherwise oil bath offers more protection from water. This is what i have seen

Moving the Diesel Tank under the seat - The diesel tank is now at the rear. Will have to move it under the seat.
Good idea

Timer for Ignition
Good idea

Steering Box Overhaul or Change steering box - There is a lot of play. I know its a Jeep thing. So may overhaul the steering box.
Just replace it. Approx 7k but worth it

Hand Brake fixing - Will get the set and setup this
Good idea

Wiring check and correction - If there is any kind of problems this will be fixed.
Good idea

FIP and injector check and overhaul - Preventive maintanence
Good idea

Compression check - To make sure Engine is in fine condition.
Good idea. Also replace all rubber hoses and retainer clips.

CFL - This is a dream. Have to see if I will have the money for this.
Good idea

All rubber hose change - To use highest quality of hoses.
Good idea

Change all the shocks - Planning to go for gas filled shocks in the front.
Good idea

FWH - Surprisingly I dont have it till now. This will be installed.
Good idea

Gear Box sealer change - Looks like its not original.
Good idea

Cosmetic and convenience
-------------------------------

Complete repainting - Have to repaint it in the fullest sense. Have not decided on the color yet. Only thing decided is that I will not have the clear coat done. Have to think what should I do. Dont like the mat finish too.
Good idea, but get it done at a professional paint shop.

Fender repair or change - Its broken (Thank Avalkonda). So have to fix it or change it.
Good idea

Fix all lights in the dash board - All the lights there are broken or not working. This has to be corrected,
Good idea

All meters checkup and change if required.
Good idea

New Bikini Top and also a full top - To make sure it looks good and also offers protection.
Good idea

Under body coating - Part of the painting job
Get 3M protection on the underside as well as the inside

Chasis painting - Part of painting job
Good idea

Tool box rebuild - Its rusted and broken in many places. Will rebuild and paint it.
Good idea

New Sparco seats - This is also a low priority item . May do it.
Not the most comfortable especially for OTR, get most comfy car seats. I like Swift's

D Hooks and rear hooks - Can you believe i didnt have it. Will have to fix it.
Good idea

ORVMS - I dont know what to do here . have to have effective ones installed.
Good idea

Go for Neolite 714 for better lighting.
Good idea

Fix all the rattles - This will be a project to itself :-)
Good idea

Security
------------

Gear lever lock
Bonnet Lock - To secure the Battery
Steering Lock - May be the Mahindra Major one.
Spare Wheel Loc

Good idea

More than the list, its how and where you get it done that matters. Find someone who has the patience and eye for details. Or it will become your worst nightmare for next few months!

Dear Mr.Babu - I have read your PM. Your thoughts are fragmented. Jaggu is correct, please do not let your worst nightmares become real. Please do not start anything without posting detailed photographs here. We (including me) will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 2185556)
Dear Mr.Babu - I have read your PM. Your thoughts are fragmented. Jaggu is correct, please do not let your worst nightmares become real. Please do not start anything without posting detailed photographs here. We (including me) will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Hello Behram Sir ,

I will post the photos as soon as possible. Yes I will start this work only after I find a good guy to do it. There are no two questions about it. but the only thing is where. I am continuously in search of the same. Hope I can find some one in another 2 months of time.

Babu

Christmas took its time and i couldnt post it yesterday. Will start posting today. I had done the servicing of the jeep the day before and so you will see it at its best. Let me start. Many of the photos are overexposed due to the settings but i am still posting it
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0924.jpg

This is my baby. I know its a bit cropped but so be it. Will post a new one shortly.

My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0925.jpg

Under body photos from the front . You can see that bumper has taken many abuse and have paint taken off at many places.
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0927.jpg

bottom From the back
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0928.jpg
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0930.jpg
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0931.jpg

from the sides

My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0932.jpg

FFRA setup. Some bolts are missing
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0933.jpg

Front wheel. No FWH
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0934.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0934.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	473177
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0938.jpg
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0939.jpg
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0935.jpg
Inside photos

My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0941.jpg
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0943.jpg
My CJ340 Rebuild - A thought-dsc_0944.jpg
Engine bay photos

As I told I had finished the service of the jeep and many parts are looking their best. I dont have as much rest as many of the jeeps that are out there. But as mentioned earlier i need to make it feel solid when i am on the steering wheel which it is not now. The steering is wobbly. Lot of rattling from the doors and the windshield .

So need to make her a beauty and the project will start in Jan. I will get the handbrake set from UBS sir and also the disc brake set . Rest will have to make a careful list and stick to it to be as close as to the budget.

Babu

Dear Baburaj - I read your PM. Thanks. Please post more photographs of the fuel tank mounting, the fuel filler cap, the front LH seat and its mounting, the front portion of the rear propeller shaft as it come out of the transmission, the hand brake lever in the driver compartment if available, the fuel main and return lines, the main gear lever after removing its rubber bellows cover, the complete exhaust system mounting and the LH body panel next to the front LH seat.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

This will turn out to be a very interesting thread, in a rush now but will come back at my earliest.
Regards,

Will post the required photos by the end of the day. I office now and couldnt do it in the morning since i got late after by normal badminton today.

This thread has been dormant for some time now but I have not been . Have done quite a bit of work on my jeep and now going for the next level of changes in the next 3 months.

The kind of work I have done is as follows.

New Radiator with 4 core .

New Amaron Harvest battery

New starter motor

Free wheeling hubs

Fuel tank moved to LH side under the passenger seat.

Some amount of cosmetic work.

All propeller shafts changed to new ones.

Leafs are reclibrated and are in order now.

Have acquired CJ5 ORVMs . Have to fit these.

All rubber hose changed to new ones.

Bonnet lock fitted.

And some more that I dont remember . i dont keep track of things I do ( Bad of me ) and not of the money too ( It will drive me crazy and wife crazier) .

Next steps are the following .

1. Want to check the steering setup if it has some problems. if it has solve it and see how is the play and the confidence. If not change it .
2. Change all the shocks to good ones which will give bothe Onroad and Offroad comfort .
3. Carbon Fibre leafs.
4. My front wind shield is very poorly fitted with rubber tube inserted in the Aluminium lining that holds the glass ( I have the openable wind shield ) . This has to be corrected. Dont know if i will get proper beading for this or should I go for a classic kind of setup where the glass is not openable.
5. Checking for a 5 speed GB that can fit in to the SWB . Came to know from Sreeraj that BA-10 may not fit as it is too big for the SWB . want to know if there are any 5 speed GBs that can fit the CJ340 .
6 . Full painting - Want to do it in Hosur with help of Santosh . This will involve removing the tub and painting from ground up, changing the bushes and the fastners and changing all the bolts to stainless steel ones ( where will i get all these in Bangalore or Coimbatore.
7. I want to change the seats in to the Bucket + Bench type in the front. Can I procure it some where . Or can you people suggest some other seats that will give some charector to the jeep and blend with it and be comfortable at the same time.
8 . A good softtop which should look good and also help me out from sun and rain.
7. Front facing rear seat .

Will start updating my progress in this thread as the jeep bug has caught on with me much stronger. Money is the only bottleneck and hope to raise some in the next 3 months.

Babu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baburajs (Post 2455665)
6 . Full painting - Want to do it in Hosur with help of Santosh. This will involve removing the tub and painting from ground up, changing the bushes and the fastners and changing all the bolts to stainless steel ones ( where will i get all these in Bangalore or Coimbatore.

1) You can trust the tinker here blindly... Come with a bare minimum jeep, we can discuss what needs to be done with tinker and you can come after a week or 2 for the completed jeep.

2) Dont get the paint done here, my painter is still painting mohans 540, it is nearly been 5 months!!! Bad experience!!! Get the paint job alone done @ Sai Colorium, JP Nagar. It will cost around 15K but will look SUPERB!!

3) For body beddings, just use the Unipak (brand) MM540 body beddings, my tinker will procure TVS/Caparo body bolts/nuts/washers and you will have a rattle free jeep. Dont bother about stainless steel ones - eventually nothing of that sort will survive a slush/damp jeep. Jeep will rust eventually, just get a rebuild in 3-4 years time.

Hey Santosh,

I am banking on your tinker and yourselves for my 340 paint job but due to Vit M crunch,same is on backburner. Will bounce back soon.

Regards
Andy

Work decided for this weekend

1. New paper type air filter ( need to go for a snorkel later). Should also make the engine more happy and also smoother
2. Longer lever for my gear box. The earlier owner had shortened it by bending it and i need to bend each time i change the gear.
3. The Jeep in pushing to right when braking . have to solve this.
4. New ICE setup on the jeep :thumbs up . will give more details when done.
5. My right Front wheel hub is stuck . Have to solve this.

Will come back with the results of the change after done with photos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baburajs (Post 2456969)
3. The Jeep in pushing to right when braking

You mean pulling? Doesnt matter... Change both front brake pads and see the difference.

Quote:

5. My right Front wheel hub is stuck
Just remove both FWH's and give it a diesel wash and lightly grease and refit and see the difference. Dont forget to refit the circlip!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 2457463)

Just remove both FWH's and give it a diesel wash and lightly grease and refit and see the difference. Dont forget to refit the circlip!!

I was also thinking the same.

I will also do an alignment of the wheels and see if the pulling will go off.

Babu

Today was some kind of a anti climax day. Went to the mechanic to do the things mentioned earlier and this is what happened.

1. The filter is not yer arrived . So have to wait for that.
2. The gear stalk is changed to a long one and the gears are much more easier to use now. But in the 4th and reverse gears it is hitting my thigh ( I am well build you know :-) ) .
3. Installed the new ICE but stopped working after some time. it was a cheap chineese set so dont know what happened . may be fuSE is blown or something else . so this is in back burner now .

4 . the brakes were also not worked upon .