Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does your wife/girlfriend/spouse like your 4x4 ( vehicle/hobby)
Yes 72 60.00%
No 29 24.17%
Some how 11 9.17%
not sure 8 6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 20:57   #31
BANNED

Re: What does your better half think of your 4x4?

@ Thar 4x4 , No more just passing around my place any more , without meeting me

Both of my Mo. No.'s Are on the ' Prasanna Caterers ' board, call me when you reach there .

good to see you here , carry on

Sudarshan
Old 27th January 2011, 13:46   #32
BHPian

Well When I bought the Gurkha & the Sonata on the same weekend, It was more like if people do not like the Gurkha then The Sonata will surely get the blessings. But to my surprise, ALL of them including my MoM, Wife, MIL liked the Gurkha better than the Sonata!! I was actually shocked.

Cheers
Sunil
Old 28th January 2011, 19:02   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
My 1.5 yrs son is an absolute petrolhead. He loves JEEPs and never misses an opportunity to sit on the driver's seat. Here is a pic.

Attachment 485562
Ah, I know I've told you this before, yet have to comment that picture is priceless!

Here's a similar one with my best friend's son - Rayhan - and a huge fan of my Jeep. By gawd, this kid is a petrolhead. His toys are all cars, he'll be the first to come down if I've brought a new test vehicle home....and he has to ride shotgun with me on all our outstation drives. You should hear him making engine sounds . Can spend all day with him and not get bored a single minute.

What does your better half think of your 4x4?-dsc00101.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 09:03   #34
BHPian

My wifey was initially skeptical about Jeeps and had never heard about off-roading though her father was a Govt officer and they had seen jeeps their whole life. Then as the restoration of my 1988 MM 540 started she began getting interested and now....
What does your better half think of your 4x4?-img_3471-custom.jpg
madhkris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 19:01   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thankfully my wife lets me enjoy and to some extent indulge all these fantasies. However, I no longer go seriously off the road for leisure and recreation. I ve matured a bit in a sense, to look more for functional utility 4WD than serious mud plugging.

maybe one day whenever Im old and shut shop from working life I will buy an old jeep and play about in the mud with it - provided I am able to stay away from the typical health irritations of spondylitis and suchlike!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th September 2011 at 19:03.
Old 5th September 2011, 15:43   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a rather interesting and related thread from elsewhere
'96 Jeep Cherokee: Need Opinions - JeepForum.com
WOWWWW, what an opinion that was. I am surely going to take a print of it and show it to my wife.
Old 7th September 2011, 18:35   #37
BHPian

I voted "somehow" as both me and my gypsy are just barely tolerated by my better half.
regards,
Ashok
Old 7th September 2011, 22:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Not married, not even earning. But man, I love jeeps. When I can spare enough, I will get myself a good one.

I will have a pre-nuptial agreement that she shouldn't Q my hobby(ies) .

That link posted earlier, OMG, Hilarious!! The poor girl would never bother joining a forum

Last edited by sachinj12 : 7th September 2011 at 22:11.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Though not married but still am going through some tough times with family members (my kind request to rename the thread to..What does your family think of your 4x4) as I said it's not only your better half (who have) but your family also matter here.

when I brought the first MM540 even I was not sure that I would be getting this deep into Jeeps though I always wanted to have a Willys CJ2A and ignored all that which were blocking my way to reach the goal but I have to admit and thank my family for supporting me though they were not happy doing it, I am extremely lucky in this, though every other day I get to hear some or the other following remarks.

1. how much will you spend on this old vehicle.
2. with the money spend you could have brought a house.
3. How foolish of my son who sold his new Maruti for a old jeep.
4. Do you really need this, no doors, no roof, can't get in and out easily
5. who is going to clean the oil marks in the lobby/garage
6. we should buy another empty plot for all your scrap to store

This went on (still the 2 & the 6th one prevails) when the jeep was totally restored it did not impress my family and still there was some dis satisfaction but did not express verbally because of my efforts put in and looking at the 1000w happiness driving it but I realized it but, now they are happy as there is one vehicle dedicated for them.

Good times begun to come when I started taking them to few vintage/classic auto shows recently to a show on 15th Aug 2011 my vehicle and work was appreciated and they started realizing the other side of the coin and now they are pleased.

I think this happens in most of the cases with you guys if not I will start praying for you to happen.
Old 8th September 2011, 02:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well honestly i dont think she does. She wont say it but i know she does not like the Jeep. Firstly its got no creature comforts, secondly, shes a complete automatic tranny girl, so no way here. She knows i love my Jeeps and so respects my feelings and knows my pull towards offroading but if it were left to her, im sure she would never allow a Jeep into the garage.
Old 8th September 2011, 09:19   #41
BHPian

My Spouse really values my craze for 4x4 but the only thing she says is not to make others strain for my needs i.e. my father took my jeep few times to the workshops for few minor repairs which she doesn't like.
Old 8th September 2011, 09:34   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeperk View Post
not to make others strain for my needs i.e. my father took my jeep few times to the workshops for few minor repairs which she doesn't like.
I look at it the another way -- It seems even 'DAD' cant stay away from the Jeep , I think he had his chance to check your Jeep I feel you are lucky to share it with your dad

I am not that lucky , my dad is not at all interested in any kind of machinery --

I think here we need to take some serious note of other family members too

Sudarshan
Old 8th September 2011, 09:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I look at it the another way -- It seems even 'DAD' cant stay away from the Jeep , I think he had his chance to check your Jeep I feel you are lucky to share it with your dad

I am not that lucky , my dad is not at all interested in any kind of machinery --

I think here we need to take some serious note of other family members too

Sudarshan
Yes you are absolutely wright! At first my dad was reluctant to touch my jeep but once we got caught in a heavy downpour while returning back from our native village and the way my machine handled the assault( slush and mud with few feet water crossing the road) impressed him, he even took it to his office few times.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:02   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Found an article which is not completely on topic here, but i think it suits this thread fine. Mods, please move to appropriate thread if it's completely OT.

Source: http://www.4x4training.com/Articles/...ouseDrive.html

Quote:
6-7 Reasons Why Your Spouse Should Learn to Drive Off Road

Four wheeling is often viewed as a man’s world. For the most part it is. Women are increasingly joining our hobby, however. Some of these women are single, but others are introduced to the hobby by a husband or friend.

In either case, it’s always best for her to take an off-road driving course. And if you haven’t taken a course, I encourage you to join her. It can be a fun and rewarding experience for you both.

Here are some good reasons to consider enrolling your better half in a 4WD training course.

She can be a back-up driver: If something happens to you, your wife could drive out. Chances are, the training course will teach her how to overcome most of the challenges she’ll face on trails. Even if you’re out cold, she should be able to drive you out or at least get you to an extraction point.

Building confidence: Learning to drive off-road entails mastering new skills. It involves unusual terrain, special driving techniques, and different equipment, like standard transmissions. Experiencing all these while under the watchful guidance of a trained instructor builds confidence.

Better all-around driver: Off-road skills are put to use in the city during bad weather, such as a snowstorm or heavy rain. In the aftermath of an earthquake or tornado, there could be sinkholes or debris in the roadway. Drivers need to negotiate around those obstacles. That’s standard procedure in four wheeling. Someone who has taken a 4WD course is better able to handle these difficult and stressful situations.

Additional spotter: The best spotters are also good drivers. Having gone through a 4WD course, your wife will be able to read the trail as well as you, providing you a valuable second set of eyes.
One catch, guys: If your wife starts to enjoy off-road driving, you may end up the spotter. But that’s OK, right? On the other hand, your wife may still just want to sit and enjoy the ride. Encourage her to get behind the wheel on occasion to keep her skills sharp.

Wait - one more catch: You may end up buying another 4 wheel drive vehicle just for her!

An extra driver to spell you: Driving off-road, as you know, is very demanding. Fatigue can set in after just a few hours. It’s a comforting to know that a skilled driver can take over if needed.

Companionship on the trails: Fishing buddies are great, but you can’t beat having your spouse along. You experience the adventure together, share great memories, and really bond while outdoors.

One of my readers, Louise, sent me two additional suggestions. They are good, and I'd like to share them with you."

Valuable Team Member: When your spouse is able to drive a vehicle off-road by herself she becomes an important member of a team that may be assembled to aid another driver. Consider this situation: You and your wife are sharing driving. Another driver is solo, gets injured and is unable to drive his vehicle; he might even need to be removed from the scene for medical care. Because your travel companion knows how to drive off road, one of you can take charge of the injured person’s vehicle while the other continues to drive your vehicle.

Keeper of the Extra Keys! Regardless of who you are travelling with and whether or not they have learned how to drive off-road you should each have a set of keys to the vehicle. While you lock the vehicle to keep all your stuff safe it also inconveniences your travel companion to access their belongings. They may need access to the vehicle at any time for a comfort item, to get out of the weather, extra clothing, water, food or medical/emergency supplies for you or someone else. With their own set of keys for the duration of the trip they can freely do this without the inconvenience of having to find you each time they want access. Consider this situation: You are away from the vehicle which you have locked. You slip, fall and become injured and need to be removed from the scene for medical treatment. With the one set of keys in your pocket, and you away for medical treatment no one can access your vehicle to drive it for you or for your travel companion to access their own items.
You both now share a new common interest, which can open a world of possibilities for you. Sitting around the house one day wondering what to do? Go off road!

Four wheel driving is more than just learning how to drive the trails. It’s also about enjoying the great outdoors with family. Enrolling your spouse in a 4WD training course builds her skills and confidence, and helps her better enjoy your outdoor adventures together. Sign her up today , and start planning your next off-road adventure.
Old 13th December 2019, 19:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but saw the topic and felt the need to comment.

In our case, my wife is the one who is pushing for us to buy a 4x4. A friend recently picked up a used Endy and this is fueling her even more.

Me personally am not very much an off-road or 4x4 vehicle type of person. Make no mistake, I love off-road vehicles when they are used for a specific job of driving on bad roads and actually going off-road. I don't like or believe in an SUV that spends most of its life on-road. I am very much a low slung sedan/sports car/hatchback kinda guy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks