Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2011, 11:18   #76
BANNED

Re: My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread

Leave it as it is. Looks are secondary for such vehicles anyways. The more sleeper it looks the more you have.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2011, 11:08   #77
BHPian

@Rohit: Great work so far buddy. I think I will also get my Pajero to your garage for rebuild. Need to get her ready for EXAMM. can you PM me the address to this workshop.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:51   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
@Rohit: Great work so far buddy. I think I will also get my Pajero to your garage for rebuild. Need to get her ready for EXAMM. can you PM me the address to this workshop.
Its my friend Stieger's garage not mine... Call me you have my number
Old 15th May 2011, 07:27   #79
BHPian

Twin Brother?

What are the odds of finding a twin brother?

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0354.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0355.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0356.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0385.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0387.jpg

Same body, same color, same graphics, same everything...

Turns out it belongs to a friend of a friend. And he lives less than 5 kms away from me....
53BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 15:26   #80
BHPian

One Long Shakedown

The first phase of restoration is almost at its end:

Interiors cleaned up. Ramesh did a fabulous job for 900/-. New grille monogram on, side monogram on, temporary Dvd setup in place. Roof rack in place
My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0442.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0443.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0444.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0447.jpg

Tomorrow we are off on a 3500km shakedown of the car. Mumbai - Coonoor - Bangalore - Mumbai

Big leap of faith considering the extensive work done, but the car is riding well, the engine is sounding sweet... and with all the blood, sweat and tears and painstaking effort put in by the team, I think we will do okay

Wish us luck guys and see you on the other side of this 10 day jaunt!!

Last edited by 53BHP : 20th May 2011 at 15:35.
53BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 11:03   #81
BHPian

3150km shakedown complete

...and thankfully not too many things have shaken and fallen apart

Apart from the clutch slave cylinder giving up the ghost, the ac packing up on the way back and the heater solenoid behaving badly, the car performed without complaint for the whole journey

Started a small travel report of my visit to the acres wild cheesemaking farm at coonoor:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...y-coonoor.html

Managed to get hold of a slave cylinder kit from a lancer diesel and changed it at the farm in coonoor. fortunately not many tools required and it held itself up all the way home. thankfully it decided to pack itself up after we reached the farmstay at coonoor
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 03:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

I prefer option two Rohit. A horizontal pinstripe as in option two matching the orange colour of the roofrack should be a killer. Just like that it looks lacking something.

Must say its come out really really well.

BTW is the thing under your bonnet, the same Elastrometric thingywhatchamacallit?

Last edited by V-16 : 25th June 2011 at 03:21.
Old 25th June 2011, 18:29   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP
Trying to figure out how to connect the air filter box to the outside. The intake of the box is opposite of the hole in the body . Any suggestions?:
Looks like you have to cut a hole to get the snorkel to fit. See below link.
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss20hf/ss20hf.htm
Cheers,
Old 26th June 2011, 14:08   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I prefer option two Rohit. A horizontal pinstripe as in option two matching the orange colour of the roofrack should be a killer. Just like that it looks lacking something.

Must say its come out really really well.

BTW is the thing under your bonnet, the same Elastrometric thingywhatchamacallit?
Did just that. Horizontal pin stripe

and yes that is elastomeric nitrile rubber insulation. As an MEP consultant, i keep getting these vendors coming with insulation material samples for various hvac applications

Nitrile rubber is the best of the latest these last few years. But it does still absorb some moisture. I have now started using PE foam which absorbs much less moisture, is cheaper and has better mechanical strength

Got a big role of PE foam sitting in my garage. Its Al foil backed so the finish is good
Old 29th June 2011, 12:35   #85
BHPian

Power Issues

Trying to figure out why I dont have enough of juice in the engine. Slight gradient on a highway and I get rapid loss of momentum. I have eliminated all the usual suspects

The engine does not smoke black or white
The car has done 4200km without eating oil
Fuel pump has been set proper
The car starts and idles on half key in the morning even if it has been standing a few days
The turbo is spinning like crazy
Air filter brand new, oil filter brand new
Getting a decent average of 9km/liter in the city
Tappet setting done

Anyway ideas guys? This is baffling

I have called for a new turbo, but i dont think its the turbo....
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 21:28   #86
BHPian

Re: Power Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
Trying to figure out why I dont have enough of juice in the engine. Slight gradient on a highway and I get rapid loss of momentum. I have eliminated all the usual suspects

This is what i did to my engine. It had the same symptoms as yours with similar settings.

I did this while installing a K&N filter made for this model that I picked up from Australia
The fuel timing was advanced a tad and the fuel supply was increased in the adjustment on the fuel pump till you could actually see some smoke upon hard acceleration.

This improved the performance vastly and the cured all the sluggishness. I was able to drive in a higher gear and my fuel average also went up by a KM and I get close to 12 on the highway

Hope this helps
Cheers,
boeuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 22:08   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post

The engine does not smoke black or white
The car has done 4200km without eating oil
Fuel pump has been set proper
The car starts and idles on half key in the morning even if it has been standing a few days
The turbo is spinning like crazy
Air filter brand new, oil filter brand new
Getting a decent average of 9km/liter in the city
Tappet setting done

if the acceleration is sluggish it probably is your turbo....just turbo whine does not indicate it is working properly and making enough boost.

high mileage on the vehicle ODO(not average) is another reason to suspect the turbo.
motocamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 22:17   #88
BHPian

I already have it on my plan to advance the fuel pump a bit. Dom also said it might help. Will do it and keep you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
This is what i did to my engine. It had the same symptoms as yours with similar settings.

I did this while installing a K&N filter made for this model that I picked up from Australia
The fuel timing was advanced a tad and the fuel supply was increased in the adjustment on the fuel pump till you could actually see some smoke upon hard acceleration.

This improved the performance vastly and the cured all the sluggishness. I was able to drive in a higher gear and my fuel average also went up by a KM and I get close to 12 on the highway

Hope this helps
Cheers,
kunal
i actually dont hear any turbo whine. vinay from city motors who redid my turbo came by yesterday and took a look. we removed the air filter briefly to see the turbo run. he felt it was doing at least 80k to 90k.
i have anyway called for a new turbo. let me advance the FIP and see.
Thanks
Rohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
if the acceleration is sluggish it probably is your turbo....just turbo whine does not indicate it is working properly and making enough boost.

high mileage on the vehicle ODO(not average) is another reason to suspect the turbo.
Old 30th June 2011, 08:34   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Advancing the ignition timing does improve power in petrol engines, so it may do so for a diesel also. The symptoms of retarded ignition are
- Excellent idling at very low RPM
- sluggish acceleration
- loss of power at higher RPM

Normally in petrol engines the ignition is advanced with increase in RPM, either through a vacuum system in carburetor engines or through ECU. If FIP is capable of this advance with RPM fine, else you have to "tune" the FIP for the RPM you want. Increasing fuel delivery will increase power, but may result in black smoke (unburnt fuel) at RPM outside the range.

I think that in modern CRDI diesels the ECU controls the ignition timings and fuel volume, but this may not apply to the older technology engines where there is no ECU.
Old 30th June 2011, 09:59   #90
BHPian

Dont advance the pump timing, keep it as close to company specs as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks