Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2014, 20:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider

My wife and I have just returned from our annual home leave. Although home is technically in the Netherlands, we spend most of our time in the UK where we also own a small house in Suffolk.

This year I took one of my classic cars, a 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider, to our house in the UK. Suffolk, or really all of East Anglia (i.e. Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex) are some of the prettiest counties in the UK we think. Still very rural, endless little roads, villages with proper old school pubs. And a lot of things happening throughout the year, but especially during the summer months. Anything from county fairs, to air shows, to open air concerts. There are always all sorts of exhibitions on, somebody organises a get to gather for steam tractors, or decides to land a few Spitfires in a field. Also, you guessed it, lots of car shows, mainly classic cars.

From about May to early October you will have open air classic car shows all over the UK and just about every weekend you can find several in East Anglia alone. Some are no more then a hand full of owners gather at the village square, some are quite large.

One day we were touring and a noticed a poster along the road side for the "Classic Sports Cars By The Lake".

See http://www.classicsportscarsbythelake.co.uk

A lot of these events are advertised in the local papers, but the organizers usually put out hundreds of posters. So by just driving around you get a fair idea on what goes on. This particular classic car event was new to me. It was to be at Fornham St Martin. A small village, just north of Bury St. Edmonds. About a 35 minute drive cross country in the Spider. I only learned about this event two days in advance, so I called them to check if I could have my Spider on display as well. But all 600 (!) spaces had been take already! This is one of the problems with these successful village events. Most of them start as a few enthusiast getting together on a nice evening and agree to do it again next year. And they bring a few mates the next year. Before you know it you have hundreds of enthusiast. It does mean you get to see a lot of cars, but you can't just rock up and display your car without making reservations months in advance.

Actually, out of the 600 cars, there were two more modern Alfa Spider, the 916, but nothing older then that. So, my cars would have been truly unique. So I did drive up there, but had to park the Spider with the rest of the audience.

I love these sort of events. The Brits are usually very, very good at organizing theses sort of events. All done in the very typical laid back, but very thorough, British way. Everything is well thought out, planned in minute detail and all done by an army of volunteers. Usually in these villages there tends to be a 'colonel' overseeing the proceedings. It's all very relaxed, very entertaining, very civilized.

Most of these shows cater for whole families, so there will be play areas for the kids, kids entertainment and there will be lots of food and beverages stalls. Food and drinks are all pub-based.

The day before we went to a Country fair, Like the classic car events, these are typically very well organised. Lots of different things to see and do for the whole family. Horse shows, (sheep) dog demonstration, old crafts, birds of prey demonstration. And always a few old cars, engines and my favourite, steam tractors!

On the Sunday I set off early. I wanted to stop at a car boot sale on the way. In this case at Stoneham Barns. (http://stonham-barns.co.uk/). Car boot sales are a bit of an institution in the UK and I've seen them in the US as well. Very informal, people drive up in their car, open their boot and sell stuff. It's all second hand, the good car boot sales keep the professional traders at bay. Just fun to rummage around a bit. I'm always on the lookout for tools (see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-them-too.html) and I've often found some. No such luck this time. After about an hour wondering around and a quick cup of coffee we moved on towards the Classic Car show.

Here two shots of the car boot sale:

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2224.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2225.jpg

I always carry a detailled paper map with me, but mostly use my TomTom GPS. I put it on planning the shortest route. That is a near quarantee for it planning across countless little rural B-roads, rathen then the main routes and highways.

The admission was UKP 6, which is very reasonably, especially as all the proceeds go to charity. Here are two overviews to give some impression what a show like this looks like. Its set up in a field. Positions for all the cars are line out and planned in advance. There are several categories; Post and Pre War, Modern classic (post 1980) and replica/kit cars. Their are individual owners, but also a fair amount of clubs that are present. And as you can see gorgeous weather. You can never be sure in the UK. Having said that, Suffolk is the county with one of the most hours of sun in the UK.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2232.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2235.jpg

So here we go with some of the cars on the show. I am a huge fan of this one, the Triumph Stag. Beautiful looking car with a proper V8. This car was launched in the 1970's and very quickly became famous for being notorious unreliable. Most of the problems were with the cooling system. Both from a design as well as an operational point of view there were many flaws. Quite a few Stags around that have their original engine removed and replaced by something else. At some point in time the Stag found itself in the top 20 of worst cars ever. These days, all the original issues with the V8 can be overcome and there are still quite a good number of Stags out there with their original engines.

Once I retire, I would like to have one of these as my daily drive. There are still plenty for sale and my impression is that prices have come down a bit over the years. Today anything upward of UKP 10-12K gets you a very nice and tidy Stag.

The interior is what I would call "typical British Sports car". Some wood and switches and gauges seemingly randomly plugged into it. Love it!

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2233.jpg

Notice the little switch on the gear stick. This is the overdrive. You'll find a similar arrangement on many other Triumph and other British car, such as the MG.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2244.jpg

On every car show there is one of these; Its a Nissan Figaro. It's a retro type of car, introduced to the market in the late 80's under the slogan "back to the future". It was only on sale in Japan I believe, but it became popular in the UK for some reason. The eye lashes always attract attention, but are not original

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2236.jpg

This here, from an engineering point of view, is a beauty. And as engines go, it looks the part as well. It's the Alfa Romeo V6, 24 valve 3L from an Alfa Romeo Spider 916. The V6 has been on the market from the late eighties in various shapes and formats from 2.0 all the way up to 3.5 or even 3.8 L I believe. It uses a very similar Bosch injection system as my little 2.0 L engine in my Alfa Spider.

The engine is very nice, developing close to 200 BHP. As a fanatic Spideristi I'm not particular keen on the 916. I don't think it is particular good looking and it has front wheel drive, but at least its got a great looking and sounding engine!

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2237.jpg

Next few pictures Jaguars! The engine is of a Jaguar XJS. I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of the car. Maybe because the XJS was never that popular. More or less positioned as the successor to the E-type it lacked all of the E-type grace and charm. Having said that, I have always had a soft spot for them. And they are dead cheap to buy. Our Jaguar club in Kansas City had quite a number of these, both the open as well as coupe version. Also, this car sported in one of my childhood favorite TV shows; The Avengers. Not sure if that series is/was known in India. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(TV_series)

The original series had Steed and Mrs. P. (played by Dianna Rig) the last serie called the New Avengers added a third lead character, tough guy Gambit and he drove a Jaguar XJS. Steed drove a Bentley (blower?) and Mrs P a Lotus Elan as I recall?

Anyway, these V12's are great, but complicated. Look at all that plumbing. I've done a bit of work on these, great fun, but it requires a lot of experience and patience.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2239.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2238.jpg

We'll stay with British cars for a bit. All classic car events in the UK tend to be a bit of a nationalistic showdown. In all honesty I don't mind much because there are or were I should probably say, a lot of great and interesting British makes and subsequent cars and models.

Here another favorite of mine; The Triumph TR6. According to many the last proper English Sportscar. Which meant that it had a big lump of engine in the front, heavy steering and suspension from the stone ages. Wonky electrics comes standard on all British Classic courtesy of one Lucas! Meant to be driven by men with hairy chests!

Even so, this one, as well as the various TR4, TR250 and TR5 are great sport cars. They are very popular, but there are not as many around as the MGB, so that makes it a little bit more rare and some of these models pack quite a bit of punch. Standard TR6's at some point developed well over 150 BHP. 6 cylinder in line, nice sound! As with some other British and European cars, the success of the se cars depended heavily on export to the USA. Which meant complying with USA emission and other legislation which gave these cars carburator instead of the injection system and god awful bumpers! This one has proper chrome bumpers.

There is a huge aftermarket for these (and other British Brands). You can literally still buy each and every part new. From a complete chassis to any other part you can think of. Often it will be with better specification compared to the original. This one, in case there is any doubt, is done in British Racing Green.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2245.jpg

Now from British hairy chest Triumph to the American Butch Cobra. Actually, the Cobra has of course a very British pedigree, what with AC. But in true American fashion they just went for the old slogan "there is no substitute for cubic inches" and shoe horned the biggest V8 they could fine in, what is essentially a British traditional Sports car chassis.

Real AC Cobra's, any model, are pretty rare and these days cost an absolute fortune. Lots of replica's out there and some are pretty close to the original!

The AC Cobra name will always be connected to car legend tough guy Carroll Shelby, who died recently.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2247.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3214.jpg

From the American muscle car back to the British Sports car. Not every bodies cup of tea, but few would argue this too is a pretty hairy sports car: TVR Griffith

And they would not be wrong. This thing is pretty lethal, especially on wet roads. Just thinking about the accelerator will make it spin out of control, I'm not joking, I've seen me do it!

In the various TVR clubs I have noticed that there is a clear distinction between those who own a classic TVR and those who own a modern one such as this one. All I can say, is that as far as I'm concerned neither are particularly reliable or well put together. But usually, that's what the owners call the "charm of their beloved car". Notice this unusual colour. It actually changes colour, depending on how you look at it and how it catches the light. Alfa Romeo offered a similar paint job for a while. Never seem to have caught on big time.

Anyway, I do like the TVR. They do have an unusual design that stands out from the crowd. Under the ownership of Wheeler TVR put the V-8 back in their cars again and I'm a big fan of V8s too. This particular model has a 5.0L V8.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3206.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3205.jpg

This thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tage-cars.html tries to explore the interest of our new generations in vintage cars. Although these events are setup for the whole family, you will notice that the audience consists of a high percentage men above, say well upward of 50-55 years of age. I blend in naturally at the lower end of the scale I'd like to think. Every year it gets worse though.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2249.jpg

Having said that, it is interesting to also note that classic car enthusiast comes from all sort of walks of life. Obviously a classic Ferrari comes at a different price tag then a MGB or an Alfa Spider. Obviously, it is not a cheap hobby, but then hobbies rarely are. So its interesting to see that there are classic cars available to suit most budgets. My son bought his 1983 Mercedes W123 for Euro 900, together with a friend. So that's Euro 450 each. To put that number in context, his iPhone cost more and the Cannon camera he also bought last year was three times as expensive.

On the other end of the W123 scale is my Mercedes W123 which is currently valued at around Euro 13.500. Still, my son W123 drives fine, he has taken it all over Europe, even pulling a caravan. (as the Dutch do, I hate to say). It does have a few holes in the chassis. Meaning that if you drive it in the rain your feet will get wet (really). But we will fix that next time I'm in the Netherlands.

So here some more mature's gentlemen choice from the USA, Ford Mustang and several Corvette's. To be honest, I'm not that big a fan of American cars. Each to its own of course. The Mustang and Corvette are nice in their original shape, but anything that came after that doesn't really do it for me.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2250.jpg

So let's move to something very different, several Bugatti's! These are pretty small cars, but absolutely fascinating. No idea what they are worth these days, but I suspect quite a bit. All three, were showing their age in a proper way. Obviously, the have been restored and look after extremely well. But sometimes you see these sort of classics completely, what I would call, over-restored. This is the way these cars are supposed to look, at least in my mind. They were serious racing/sports car in their time and they look the part.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2253.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2254.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2255.jpg

I do like these sort of pre-war classic cars , although I have never driven one. Neither do I think I would want to own one. My presence is more or less the 60s to 80s more or less.

Anyway here another beauty and some more details on what these cars look like. Note how photogenic these pre-war cars are? Even my wife, who hasn't go a clue about cars, always like these sort of cars.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3203.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3204.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3201.jpg

And some more open top sports cars. And these are properly open. The Lotus 7 fraternity tend to be a proper hardcore diehard type of owners. Always driving open, in rain, snow and sleek. There are of course a few Lotus 7 copy cats around. Caterham springs to mind and the Dutch Donkervoort. For most the original remains the best.

I have driven together with some of these Lotus guys. I drive my Alfa Spider top down always as well. The Lotus outperform the Alfa by a large margin, especially on the straight and acceleration. Through the corners it's much closer and it more or less comes down who has the biggest balls and dares the most, safely, on a small bendy rural but admittedly public road.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2257.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2251.jpg

On these events, apart from food and beverages, usually there are all sorts of market stalls selling stuff. On this particular event there was only one guy selling all sort of cleaning and polishing stuff. I had hope to pick up some tools as well, but there were none. For my tool obsession see: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-them-too.html

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2259.jpg

Any classic car event would not be complete without several Jaguar E-types of course. Sure enough there were several. It is a true legend of a car. It was considered a true sex symbol and I quote from a respectable source:

Quote:
The E-Type also happens to look like an engorged phallus, making it irresistible to myriad men and women who are into that kind of thing
Well, have a look and think about that, but I must admit from this position I can sort of see how they came up with that comparison.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3196.jpg

Another very nice car, the Mercedes 300SL. Pretty rare there aren't to many around and this one was in beautiful condition. I really like this one, but apart from the fact that these 300SL are really expensive I've always had a sweet spot for the Pagoda which I thought looked a bit more elegant.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3198.jpg

This one doesn't need introduction either, the Citroen DS. This cabrio version is quite rare and quite valuable as well. Although, close up it did not look in that good of condition.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3199.jpg

Finally another Jaguar. Told you this events were a bit nationalistic in the UK. An XJ. I'm a big fan of the XJ Series in all its various disguises. I currently own a XJR, with obviously a V8, supercharged and all. No account for taste, but I don't like what they did to this poor XJ at all.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3200.jpg

Last edited by Jeroen : 14th September 2014 at 21:23.
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 20:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider

I have a few more pictures to show, so we are continuing with some more Jaguars. This is one gorgeous XK150. These XKs are much sought after. As they were never made in huge numbers, most of them have been restored at some point in time and finding a beat up one at low cost to restore is becoming very difficult. Also, the cost of restoring these is huge. The body work is difficult because of all the curves.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3209.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3208.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3207.jpg

Another British icon, the Landrover or Landie as it is affectionally known. Especially the early series were glacial slow and very uncomfortable. The later models are marginally faster and marginally more comfortable, but then you don't buy one of these for speed or comfort. Most versions are very affordable and they are very easy cars to work on. Bring a big hammer and screw driver, you won't need much else.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3211.jpg

From a British off road icon to a British on road sports car icon; The Lotus Elan.
Chapman had one rule and that was lightweight and this one weighs in at less then 700 kg. It had a steel backbone chassis and a fibre glass composite body. Which meant you get a rusted chassis with a osmosis blistering body. You still get 0-100km/h in under 8 seconds and fantastic handling.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3213.jpg

Ofcourse, another British style icon was well represented here as well, RR! I don't know to much about RR other then I like some models and some I don't. Nearly bought one at the spur of the moment on the Techno Classica many years ago with a friend of mine. Rational got the better part of us at the very last moment. It went like this. Lets buy this one should be fun. Yeah, great lets go for it! Uh, what are we going to tell our wives? Uh, maybe not then?

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2263.jpg

And one other beauty I don't know to much about it, but she does look nice.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2261.jpg

Now, I do know a bit about this car, Jenssen Interceptor. Only about 6000 were produced in less than 11 years of production. V8 of course. I think this is a stunning looking car and they drive really nice. Its really a proper GT. Prices have been on the rise and these are now pretty expensive and there aren't that many for sale anyway. Something for my (very long) list "cars I would like to own at some time".

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2269.jpg

As usual there are always classic bikes on these shows. Same was true here, so I took a picture of those as well. I'm not really into bikes at all, other then I do own a fully restored 1975 Bullet here in India. And I've done close to 10.000 km on it too. See http://www.india.jeroendorrestein.co...new_hobby.html

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2266.jpg

On these events there is usual a tent where people sell their home made cookies and all sort of other hobby stuff.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2271.jpg

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2273.jpg

And as there was category of modern cars (from 1980 onwards) somebody brought this to the show as well

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_2270.jpg

This is my final picture. On my way back to my Alfa Spider. This is the parking lot of this event. Huge field, that's all. Works great, until it rains. Luckily the weather was perfect as shown in the pictures.

Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider-img_3215.jpg

Last edited by Jeroen : 14th September 2014 at 21:15.
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 11:11   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Classic Sports Cars by the lake - With my '86 Alfa Romeo Spider

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Classic Car Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 19th September 2014, 15:37   #4
BHPian

Beautiful pictures and what a nice reason to gather and talk about cars. I particularly loved the straight 6 Alfa Romeo engine. And then there was the Triumph Stag reminded me of Jeremy Clarkson's lecture about the car. "I have a Staaaaaaaag"

Thanks a lot for sharing your pics here.
Old 19th September 2014, 19:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing that TG video. Hadn't seen it in a long time. Good one!
Jeroen
Old 19th September 2014, 20:50   #6
G-2

Lovely pictures!! Would love to be able to witness such an event in person someday Also, any pictures of the two wheeled classics would be greatly appreciated
Old 19th September 2014, 22:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-2 View Post
Lovely pictures!! Would love to be able to witness such an event in person someday Also, any pictures of the two wheeled classics would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, unfortunately I did not take any other pictures of the bikes than the one already shown.

Jeroen
Old 21st September 2014, 16:22   #8
DWC
BHPian

Thanks! A very interesting read. I loved your blog about your bullet as well! Keep sharing.
Old 21st September 2014, 17:32   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

What a lovely enjoyable thread to read Jeroen

I love these open air events in the English Summer.

Great cars in wonderful state of maintenance.

Lots of happy people and lots of good grub to be had too.

I was watching Ian Fleming, the Spymaker, a short movie starring Jason Connery and in that movie they feature a race from London to Deauville Sur Mer, in a Bentley Blower 4.5 litre and a Lagonda - Ahh! (This later as you probably know, became the experience which morphed into Casino Royale).

The Lagonda features in some other period films - including one or two episodes of Hercule Poirot, notably "The Hollow". Wonderful car.

I have a scale model (1:43) of the Bentley Blower but despite hunting in many hobby shops all over the world, am unable to find a scale model in that size, of an old Pre war Lagonda. The old Lagonda will always be one of my favourite marques.

Sometimes I think I was really born out of time - it would have been fun to be one of the idle rich in the 1920's and 1930's I often think!

Really, your post has made me smile widely this Sunday

Thank you!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st September 2014 at 17:37.
Old 25th September 2014, 15:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It went like this. Lets buy this one should be fun. Yeah, great lets go for it! Uh, what are we going to tell our wives? Uh, maybe not then?
The most common refraining factor in India for auto Enthusiasts.

You have given a very good account of your visit.

Thanks.
Old 25th September 2014, 20:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What a lovely enjoyable thread to read Jeroen

Sometimes I think I was really born out of time - it would have been fun to be one of the idle rich in the 1920's and 1930's I often think!

Thanks, I know the feeling. Mind you I wouldn't mind being an idle rich today either! I keep buying lottery tickets to make this come true!

Jeroen

Most Viewed