Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Beyond Borders
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2023, 13:55   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels

Last Sunday I visited the Interclassics show in Brussels, Belgium. It is probably the last major classic car show in Europe each year. In early January the big shows start up again all over Europe.

https://interclassics.events/en/

They claimed this was the largest classic car show in the Benelux. I am not convinced. They also organise the Interclassic show in Maastricht in January. My impression has always been the latter is larger than its Brussels sibling.

Irrespective, this is always a nice classic car show, with high-quality cars on display and all the other usual things you are likely to find at a classic car show.

So early Sunday morning, I quickly ordered my ticket online and hopped into my Mini. It is just under an hour and a half drive for me. Motorway all the way.

The exhibition centre is next to one of oBrussel'sls historic landmarks, the Atomium

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4956.jpeg

https://atomium.be/home/Index

I just realised I don't think I have ever been inside the Atomium. Must do it next time we visit Brussels. We have seen a lot of Brussels lately. We overnighted here earlier this week to attend a Natalie Merchant concert and visit the Herge Museum (https://www.museeherge.be/en) or TinTin Museum as it is sometimes referred to.

These exhibitions have hundreds and hundreds of cars on display. So I will only show a very small selection. The ones I like, the ones that I think are special and the ones I know some of our members appreciate I hope.

On these high-end classic car exhibitions you will find more Ferraris than you can shake a stick at:

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4934.jpeg

I had never come across this VW:

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4939.jpeg

It is called the XL1. The design team was told to to come up with a fully useable car, that could be produced in series, with a fuel efficiency of 1/100 l/km.

So they came up with the XL1. It's built as a monocoque, mostly composite materials. Cw of 0,186, plug-in hybrid system with a two-cylinder TDi 48 HP engine and a 27HP motor. It also sports a DSG box.

The team exceeded the design brief as this contraption returned less than 09,l per 100 km! It weighs only 795 kg and 250 XL1s were produced.

A bit of Belgium motorcycle/moped history here. Gorgeous!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4935.jpeg

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4936.jpeg

I am a member of a Facebook called "Cut Away Cars". It is a very active group with members posting daily all kinds of cut-away drawings of cars, and or car parts. I don't have such drawings, so I tend to post-cut away real cars/engines or models.

So I am always on the lookout for cut-away cars, engines, or other car-related parts. I won't bore you with too many, but I can tell you I found over 20 items on this show!

Here is the famous VW Beetle boxer engine!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4926.jpeg

It is very nice all these classic cars, but how would I transport my valuable classic car I hear you ask? This might do:

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4941.jpeg

It is called the Algema Blitzlader 2. It can carry up to 3,3 tonnes, and can pul a 3,5 tonnes trailer as well. It only takes 8 seconds to get this thing to bend itself so you can drive your valuable classic car in or out!

Have a look at this promotion video, pretty cool:

https://algema-fitzel.com/en/fahrzeuge/blitzlader-2/

I have always liked these Volvo 240s. I had one in the late eighties as a company car. I had not realised the Belgium Cops drove them too.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4949.jpeg

It is probably one of the most iconic design details on a (classic) car that every core Petrolhead will recognize

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4951.jpeg

This is an instruction model, used to teach young mechanics the basics of engine, gearbox and so on. In general, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find young people to become car mechanics or similar jobs. This is a real problem because we are going to need a lot of people who would like to work with their hands. Apart from cars, think windmills, solar panels, heat pumps and so on. Millions of these are going to be installed and will need servicing.

The model was on display at an organisation that across Europe, recruits young people to train in the classic car world. Great initiative I think.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4938.jpeg

The smallest car on display, and we talking teeny tiny here, was this Brutch Microcar. Yours for only Euro 25000,--.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4948.jpeg

As always lots and lots of car models are on display as well. From brand new to second-hand and anything in between.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4944.jpeg

Although it is unlikely I would ever own one of these sorts of cars, I love looking at them. These are real racing machines. Nothing like today's F1 cars. Which, when all is said and done, just looks like props from a Star Wars movie.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4953.jpeg

This is what I would consider a real engine!!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4957.jpeg

Look at this! Never seen anything like it before. The whole valve train sticks out of the bonnet. Makes for easy adjusting of course.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4958.jpeg

A few more cut-away engines

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4942.jpeg

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4943.jpeg

There is a pretty sizeable market for these types of petrol pumps too. Purely for display purposes. I like them, but I don't think Mrs D is going to allow me to put one in our yard.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4954.jpeg
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 14:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Interclassics Brussels

For those of you who like the fantastic Ferrari GTO, but can't afford one.
Here is a nice replica for only euro 130000. (The last GTO that was auctioned went for well over fifty million dollars, so this is a real steal!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4959.jpeg

One of my personal favourites. At some point in time, I am going to get myself one of these. The Mercedes Pagode W113. This one is being restored, had just been resprayed. I love this colour!!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4960.jpeg

These cars are not that rare, just very much sought after. That has driven up the price. The good news, everyone is expecting the prices to drop considerably in the next 5-10 years. Most of the owners are in their 80s and 90s. They bought these cars in the late 80s-90s at the end of a successful career.

A decent Pagode will set you back at least Euro 100000. This immaculately 1970 fully restored 280SL is yours for Euro 155000.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4994.jpeg

I have mentioned before, on other threads, these sorts of classic car shows tend to merge into almost any sort of lifestyle exhibition. It was not too bad here, but of course, there are always several guys selling fancy watches.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4961.jpeg

Lots of Porsches about. Classic Porsches are in high demand with prices of some models going through the roof. My best friend Peter is a professional classic car appraiser. A large part of this clientele also owns classic Porsche. The prices on some models are going up so quickly that he needs to revisit them twice a year to adjust the price for insurance purposes.

This is a 1955 Porsche 356-A. The 356 was Porsche's first real production car.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4962.jpeg

This is the, tuned, engine of an Alfa Romeo Giulia GT Scalino. It is the same engine block as I have in my Alfa Rome Spider. This one is fitted with high-compression pistons, special connecting rods, special carbs and a high-flow modified cylinder head.

My Spider engine produces about 110HP. This one is about 180HP.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4964.jpeg

Obviously, I have a soft spot for Alfa Romeo. This is a 1960 Touring 2000.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4966.jpeg

Something very different. A barnfind. A 1966 Cirtroen DS21 Coupe le Dandy. Only fifteen of these were built. Very rare and expensive. In this state, they are still asking Euro 185000 for it. I reckon you will need to spend that much again to get it in good order and roadworthy.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4969.jpeg

Some Aston Martins. The first one is this Victor. It was named in honour of Victor Gauntlet who at some point in time was owner and chairman of Aston Martin. It is a one-off model, sporting a 7,3 V12 Cosworth NA 836HP, 822Nm engine.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4971.jpeg

Next a DB4 series 2. Not to be sniffed at either.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4973.jpeg

Whereas Aston Martin makes a decent car, if you want something really special you turn to the Dutch of course Joop Donkervoort started cranking out Dutch Lotus 7 many decades in his farm in Loosdrecht. This day his son and daughter run a massive showroom/factory near Lelystad airport.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4975.jpeg

Again, a car that will never be mistaken for anything else. Bugatti.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4976.jpeg

This one was advertised as a Fiat Autobianchi, Nuova 500 Bianchina Giardiniera. Which is not correct as far as I know. The Giardiniera is seen Fiat 500 van. So this is more likely to be some replica. Nice, but not cheap. Eruo 49500

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4977.jpeg

Another very nice Citroen, DS19 from 1963

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4979.jpeg

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4981.jpeg

These days at any car show there will be some racing simulators too!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4982.jpeg
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 14:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Some very fancy Lambo's

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4983.jpeg

According to Bentley, owning a used or second-hand Bentley is all about mindset.
So I asked them, I have the mindset for a second-hand Bently, but not the wallet.

They were not amused. I told them to update their stupid poster! I hate that sort of idiotic PR stuff. The notion that lots of highly paid people have been meeting and debating this for days, if not weeks, and this is the outcome? ridiculous!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4984.jpeg

The show had a special on the 100 years Le Mans. I thought it was a bit disappointing. I don't think the cars displayed here were a good representation of 100 years of Le Mans.

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4985.jpeg

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4986.jpeg

Also, and maybe I am showing my age here. I hate these poorly lit displays. I don't need "atmosphere", I want to have a good look at everything. So please, next time light up the place properly!!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4987.jpeg

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4988.jpeg

Some interesting Shelby's and Ford GTs!

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4989.jpeg

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4990.jpeg

Final and last image, some more Ferrari's

Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4992.jpeg

I spend about 3 hours going round the show. And 3 hours getting to Brussels and getting back home.

All in all, this is not a bad classic car show. But I would not rank it all that high. Although it aims at the high end of the classic car market, it is really let down by this awful exhibition centre. Which is very run down and in poor state of repair. poor facilities when it comes to restaurants, bars and so on.

I also felt there were not enough vendors selling car parts, models, tools and so on.

In general I do prefer more simple exhibition that concentrate on more affordable classic cars. So I doubt I will be coming next year. We will see.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 20th November 2023 at 22:14.
Jeroen is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 05:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 10:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels

Another delightful photo essay by Jeroen. Keep them coming.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 10:30   #6
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Something very different. A barnfind. A 1966 Cirtroen DS21 Coupe le Dandy. Only fifteen of these were built. Very rare and expensive. In this state, they are still asking Euro 185000 for it. I reckon you will need to spend that much again to get it in good order and roadworthy.
Interclassics Classic Car Show, Brussels-img_4969.jpeg
What a beautiful car. Must a great sight on the road

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks