Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 18:21   #16
BHPian

Re: From being a Noob to a Super Randonneur - My Cycling Journey

That's some fantastic achievement. I am not into long-distance cycling but off-late took to cycling to the office . My journey in the last ten years:

RE Thunderbird, 13 years back - The biking bug, open roads, wind on the face, younger bones, iron butt. RE sold last year after being an excellent companion of about 80k km.

Hero Hunk - Had a Hunk along with RE because RE was giving more trouble than the pleasure of riding. It was used for office use. The thump of RE spoilt me, could not ride Hunk for a long time. Sold it along with RE after riding only 8000 km.

TUV300 - Enough of two-wheeler riding. I am getting old and have earned my bragging rights in front of kids that "in my younger days, we used to go for long rides blah blah, now its time to relax." God heard it and gave so much relaxation in Bangalore traffic that...

Cycling - ...that bought a cycle to commute to the office. Now every morning, I see this giant four-wheeler and my humble bicycle. I ask them who will take me faster to the office, and the bicycle winks at me and so cycling it is. But honestly, it's so much more fun cycling when I see everyone stuck in traffic, and I filter through it like water.
ambujlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 20:11   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on achieving the SR in such a short duration!

Even though I have been cycling for a couple of years, I have never attempted a BRM mostly due to a mental block. You see, in my mind, I have this notion that a brevet (especially the longer ones) is a test of endurance that pushes the mind and body beyond its limits and therefore is not something that is 'healthy'. I can pedal 200 KMs in less than the stipulated 13.5 hours easily but the thought of extending it to 20/27/40 hours (for 300/400/600 KMs respectively) just terrifies me thinking it might do more harm than good for my body. When I read stories of grit from riders like you and I am truly awestruck. Kudos to your accomplishment.
Old 22nd October 2019, 01:32   #18

Monsieur,

What an achievement. I just couldn't take my eyes of post and was wondering when and where would you stop, cause you were hitting rides after ride. The write-up also is very interesting and it builds up the drama and tension.

I love cycling and my first long distance ride was in 1996 when 10 of us 14 year's old had cycled from Mangalore to Goa and back. It was total of around 800kms ride and it was not a time bound ride. We were part of NCC and it was so called an expedition. Those days people made fun of us when we said that we are going to cycle untill Goa as they thought we were kidding.

It took us 2.5 days to reach Goa as we rode only during day time. We didn't have any particular plans of where to stay and eat and no Google to help those days either. We slept sometimes in bus stops, some times by the road and couple of times in Church ( on the way back). In Goa we got to stay at NCC batallion.

To be honest I never knew such a club exists and people cycle 600kms in a day...... Something extra ordinary to comprehend.

Off course the physical fitness and endurance is important but I believe the motivation and will power to push oneself is most crucial, I believe that is what drive you forward.

Thank you again for wonderful write up Sir (SR). You reminded my days of cycle.

Wishing you more miles and many more SR's.
MJ@Mariner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 06:20   #19

Congratulations on your first Super Randonneur.

Thanks for taking us through your experience. This is so inspiring. Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I hope, with weather getting better, new season will bring more 'SR' titles.

In terms of effort, I cannot imagine what it takes to ride 600 KM in September's hot and humid weather that to in consecutive weeks. You are very strong!

Keep munching miles!
summerisland is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 08:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerisland View Post
Congratulations on your first Super Randonneur.

Thanks for taking us through your experience. This is so inspiring. Thoroughly enjoyed the read. I hope, with weather getting better, new season will bring more 'SR' titles.

In terms of effort, I cannot imagine what it takes to ride 600 KM in September's hot and humid weather that to in consecutive weeks. You are very strong!

Keep munching miles!
Thank you. Responses like yours are indications to me that the purpose for which I had penned it down has been achieved. Before June this year, I had no ideas of brevets or what went into them. At least by this medium, I wanted to dwell into what goes into it.
Yes, September heat and long brevets do not go hand in hand and it was indeed tough. But there are many more who have done stupendously well in this field, far better than me. So, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ@Mariner View Post
Monsieur,

What an achievement. I just couldn't take my eyes of post and was wondering when and where would you stop, cause you were hitting rides after ride. The write-up also is very interesting and it builds up the drama and tension.

I love cycling and my first long distance ride was in 1996 when 10 of us 14 year's old had cycled from Mangalore to Goa and back. It was total of around 800kms ride and it was not a time bound ride. We were part of NCC and it was so called an expedition. Those days people made fun of us when we said that we are going to cycle untill Goa as they thought we were kidding.

It took us 2.5 days to reach Goa as we rode only during day time. We didn't have any particular plans of where to stay and eat and no Google to help those days either. We slept sometimes in bus stops, some times by the road and couple of times in Church ( on the way back). In Goa we got to stay at NCC batallion.

To be honest I never knew such a club exists and people cycle 600kms in a day...... Something extra ordinary to comprehend.

Off course the physical fitness and endurance is important but I believe the motivation and will power to push oneself is most crucial, I believe that is what drive you forward.

Thank you again for wonderful write up Sir (SR). You reminded my days of cycle.

Wishing you more miles and many more SR's.
Thank you Mariner. I realised during my time on the saddle that the mind can still drive a tired body. The control over one's mind is far more important than anything else. Of course, in case the body gives out distress signals, they should NOT be ignored. Something that happened with me in my dropped out brevet.
It is never too late to get back on the saddle. I am sure you will rediscover your NCC days! And yes, the winter months promise the chance of multiple SRs, bit the cold comes with its own set of challenges!
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Congratulations on achieving the SR in such a short duration!

Even though I have been cycling for a couple of years, I have never attempted a BRM mostly due to a mental block. You see, in my mind, I have this notion that a brevet (especially the longer ones) is a test of endurance that pushes the mind and body beyond its limits and therefore is not something that is 'healthy'. I can pedal 200 KMs in less than the stipulated 13.5 hours easily but the thought of extending it to 20/27/40 hours (for 300/400/600 KMs respectively) just terrifies me thinking it might do more harm than good for my body. When I read stories of grit from riders like you and I am truly awestruck. Kudos to your accomplishment.
Thank you Ravi.
I strongly recommend participating in the brevets. Mark my words, you will get hooked on to it. I know riders who are so addicted to brevets that every weekend they are participating in one or the other. Till the time the body is fit and supports these activities, one must go for them. The opportunity does'nt provide itself to everyone. Since you are already into riding, it should be a cake walk.
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:02   #21
BHPian

Excellent illustration. I can relate it now as I've also started cycling a fortnight ago. Let's see how my journey evolves.

From being a Noob to a Super Randonneur - My Cycling Journey-img_6974.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd October 2019 at 18:14. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent thread. Beautifully narrated!
And an outstanding achievement, congratulations. i can not even begin to contemplate how hard it must be tomride these sort of distnaces.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 14:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
Excellent illustration. I can relate it now as I've also started cycling a fortnight ago. Let's see how my journey evolves.
All the very best. Starting something is the more difficult thing. Once that is done, you will find it easier to continue / pursue it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Excellent thread. Beautifully narrated!
And an outstanding achievement, congratulations. i can not even begin to contemplate how hard it must be tomride these sort of distnaces.

Jeroen
Thank you very much for the kind words. As I have mentioned quite a few times earlier also in this thread, there are countless others who are doing these sort of activities since a long time. I just had to remind myself the fact that when so many could achieve it, why couldn't I?
Also something unique to me was that I used to remember my tenure at high altitude at temperatures as low as minus 35 degrees and used to tell myself that when those times Could be endured then this too shall be endured and passed with flying colours. To each his/her own form of motivation.
Cheers.
Hunter3077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 18:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser2707 View Post
Thanks for the wonderful post. Your achievement as a "Super Randonneur", is very inspiring. It just goes to prove there is nothing beyond us if we persevere. I have wanted to take up cycling as a regular activity, as some of the most cherished moments in my childhood were on a cycle with my friends.

Thanks for the useful tips, a vivid description of what has to be overcome (more mental than physical) and I especially like your description of cycling almost as a meditation. I guess when you focus on something to the exclusion of everything else you achieve this state. Best wishes for all you future rides.
Thank you very much. You are right, it is indeed possible to achieve anything if we put our mind to it. This is a revelation for me too.
When a rider is solo, how does one engage one's mind? It is by constantly thinking, talking to oneself, introspecting, contemplating and a plethora of such like activities. All these, in affect are a form of meditation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on the SR!

Wow! Four brevets in consecutive weekends. You have got a phenomenal endurance! I take a bow!
Thank you Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish.arnold View Post
As a newbie cyclist (starting again after 6-7 years), this post is just like a booster shot for me.
I got the Raleigh Moonraker after a short research, had slight pain in the first couple of days, but soon got over it, and now enjoy to the T.

The weather is just perfect to be outdoors right now, slight nip in the air, and no humidity as well.
Congratulations on taking the first steps. Glad my post is of some help.
Yes, the weather right now is really really good for some long distance rides. Happy riding!
Hunter3077 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic thread and congrats! This is an awesome inspiration, to get back to cycling. I started cycling in April last year and barely a month later; my ex-colleague saw my bicycle and purchased it from me on the spot one day. Not so surprisingly, he became a fan of cycling but I couldn't pick up again later on. After that I needed some motivation to get back to cycling. I believe this article is that motivation to get a bicycle and start over again! Thank you for inspiring me to get back to cycling.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 17:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think it is high time that I stop sharing my 'achievement'(?) of covering 720 km in a single day on my motorcycle from now on. I am humbled by your determination and the efforts you have put in to complete 600 km in less than 25 hours. Kudos to you and your cycling spirit !

Can you also elaborate on your switch from a hybrid to a road cycle, how it has changed the way you ride, how or what was it that you did to adapt to the new aggressive ergonomics?

I myself am pondering on the thought of switching from my Hercules ACT 110 to a Triban RC 120, but somehow I have not been able to make my mind up yet.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 19:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Fantastic thread and congrats! This is an awesome inspiration, to get back to cycling. I started cycling in April last year and barely a month later; my ex-colleague saw my bicycle and purchased it from me on the spot one day. Not so surprisingly, he became a fan of cycling but I couldn't pick up again later on. After that I needed some motivation to get back to cycling. I believe this article is that motivation to get a bicycle and start over again! Thank you for inspiring me to get back to cycling.
Thank you very much for the appreciation. If my article can inspire you to take on cycling again, I would consider it an honour.
Wish you many miles on your cycling journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I think it is high time that I stop sharing my 'achievement'(?) of covering 720 km in a single day on my motorcycle from now on. I am humbled by your determination and the efforts you have put in to complete 600 km in less than 25 hours. Kudos to you and your cycling spirit !

Can you also elaborate on your switch from a hybrid to a road cycle, how it has changed the way you ride, how or what was it that you did to adapt to the new aggressive ergonomics?

I myself am pondering on the thought of switching from my Hercules ACT 110 to a Triban RC 120, but somehow I have not been able to make my mind up yet.
Thank you Sir. Just a small correction - my 600 km was done in 36 hours and 30 minutes. Strava shows only the moving time and deducts the break time in between, hence the figure of 24 hours.
With respect to the change over from a hybrid to a road bike, surprisingly not much to change. One can still ride upright by holding on to the stem and not depend only on the drop bars. It took me just a couple of rides to adjust to the new bike. Everything from gear shifting to pedalling is relatively easier on a road bike. The biggest advantage I accrued is the options on the handle bar. One can keep changing the grip from the stem to the brake hoods to the drop bars depending upon the speed required and the need to constantly change the grips.
Triban RC 120 is a worthy investment. Decide and take the plunge.
Cheers!
Old 25th November 2020, 16:33   #28
BHPian

What a journey! As I have remarked earlier as well, you are traveling way longer and way faster than most people drive around in their vehicles

Beautifully narrated, the speed and urgency of all the brevets was coming through it, I have done a bit of cycling & riding myself so butt-burns I can totally relate to it. It can stop many a person right in their tracks.

And of course you have not posted your stellar achievements post that and the ones planned in January 2021.

Thank you so much for sharing this, believe me it is not only inspiring but also a great motivator for everyone - the belief that one can move mountains with dedication, focus and determination.

Best Wishes!
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:07   #29
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Hunter3077,
Hats off to you! This is such an inspiring story.
I glanced through it couple of times last week and did a detailed walk-through reading every single word this week.
Really admire your grit !

I do dream of becoming an endurance rider and do really long rides. The interest has rekindled over the last few months. Have a hybrid since last few years and looking forward to graduating to a roadie towards the end of the calendar year. Currently researching my options. There is a lot of good feedback about Shimano 105 groupset, but besides Triban RC520, not able to find anything that would be less than a lakh Rs. So started looking at Shimano Sora as well now. Let's see how that goes

Once again, amazing story of grit and determination. Take a bow, Sir!
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:52   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Currently researching my options. There is a lot of good feedback about Shimano 105 groupset, but besides Triban RC520, not able to find anything that would be less than a lakh Rs. So started looking at Shimano Sora as well now. Let's see how that goes
Check out the Tiagra as well. It is between Sora and 105. I had a Scott Speedster with Tiagra, and it was very smooth and did not give me any trouble in the 5000+ kilometers I rode that bike.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks