Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 11:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tools for your Bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Pushed a little higher this morning towards Koti...

Attachment 2194725

Never had taken the ACT105 anywhere really, so thought a test-ride was in order. No, not the ideal tool for the job... and doesn't feel as natural / easy to me as the (Merida) Matts 20... seat post should be a half-inch longer, for one thing. But it got the job done.

Attachment 2194726

I was thinking in light of earlier discussion that MTB's are kinda like multitools - which I used to hate the idea of because as a "purist" mechanic I had a full roll-away tool cabinet with fifteen drawers full of "the RIGHT tools" for every job...

Well, my uncle gifted me one and after a week with it I never looked back - just so versatile and accessible.

Attachment 2194748 (on that note, bit modded Gerber Suspension NXT as my EDC here - in this form, best bang-for-buck I've found, and more lightweight/compact than others, too).

-Eric
Gerber bois we is!

Tools for your Bicycle-img_20180515_115143.jpg

Tools for your Bicycle-img_20180515_115211.jpg

Tools for your Bicycle-img_20180515_115459.jpg

I just cannot find any other international brand tool that comes close to this quality.

Next time I'm in the US I need to get me a more purpose built one with a chain breaker tool and a spoke wrench as well.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Gerber bois we is!

Next time I'm in the US I need to get me a more purpose built one with a chain breaker tool and a spoke wrench as well.
Yes, cycle-specific would make lots of sense for me now, as well.

Yours is lovely btw, I don't think you'll find "made in U.S.A." on their latest ones!

I carrried a Leatherman Wave (ver.2) daily for years and still think it's got the best/most versatile all-round no-nonsense toolset for my purposes and is VERY strong. But they've become unjustifiably expensive, and twice I've had the replaceable bit fall out/ get lost (and those aren't cheap either). The Gerber Suspension NXT has a nice, extra-long phillips which is invaluable and great for derailleur tweaks. And tools all accessible without opening the handles. I added (/swapped in) the wood/plastic saw & combined cutting blade and made an awl/drill out of the bottle opener. Almost perfect. Wave's long file (incl. diamond side) is still much better, but this tool is lighter, and last I checked you could actually get it cheap on Amazon.in!

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 18th August 2021 at 21:36.
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, cycle-specific would make lots of sense for me now, as well.

I carrried a Leatherman Wave (ver.2) daily for years and still think it's got the best/most versatile all-round toolset for my purposes and is VERY strong. But they've become unjustifiably expensive, and twice I've had the replaceable bit fall out/ get lost (and those aren't cheap either). The Gerber Suspension NXT has a nice, extra-long phillips which is invaluable and great for derailleur tweaks. I added (/swapped in) the wood/plastic saw, combined cutting blade and made an awl/drill out of the bottle opener. Almost perfect. Wave's long file (incl. diamond side) is still much better, but this tool is lighter, and last I checked you could actually get it cheap on Amazon.in!

-Eric
If you find a nicely priced good quality do it all cycle specific multi tool (with the chain and spoke bits) available online, please do share the details. The BTwin one I have, I prefer the loose keys and socket cross set I have which is lighter, better metal, and has the socket wrench bits too for things like derailleur and brake cable nuts.

Tools for your Bicycle-img_20180515_095414.jpg

Tools for your Bicycle-img_20180515_114900.jpg

Tony "Ten Speed" Marchand gives a good hack on you tube of cutting a section of an old MTB inner tube and using it as a sleeve over loose bits like this to store inside your saddlebag.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th August 2021 at 21:34.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
nicely priced good quality do it all cycle specific multi tool (with the chain and spoke bits) available online, please do share the details. The BTwin one I have, I prefer the loose keys
Do you have the BTWIN 900 or 920 doc? The latter meets your requirements but the form factor is not very compact.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisravi View Post
Do you have the BTWIN 900 or 920 doc? The latter meets your requirements but the form factor is not very compact.
I got the 920 just last week. Liked the form factor and how it can pack flat. It fits nicely on the bottom of my top-tube bag. Plus, I feel the individually removable allen keys are more convenient to use compared to the fold-out ones. Weight-wise, it is almost the same as 900, even though it has additional tools and tyre levers.
Quote:
Gerber Suspension NXT as my EDC here - in this form, best bang-for-buck I've found, and more lightweight/compact than others, too).
I have permanently kept a Gerber Suspension in my car. I got one after noticing the Top Gear boys carrying it. VFM tool it is when compared to the Leathermans. I have not seen any cycling-specific Gerber though. So it will have to be in addition to a regular cycle tool kit.

Last edited by Jaguar : 19th August 2021 at 11:49.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neither. I have the normal Victorinox style old 250 buck one. Not sold anymore. Came in dark grey and neon green, two colors.

As you know Ravi, for all cyclists, as they ride more and realise what actually works, weight and compactness is everything. You actually from ride to ride carry only what you (might) need, and there is a lot of probability gymnastics involved. So really a tool with torx wrenches and a crank nut tool is too much of a good thing for me. LOL

I like the Gerber because like all Indians we love a set of plaas (pliers) and a hathoda (hammer), so one of two is not bad. Also the blades are great to have. So versatile.

Really if you go through your bike, front to back, and look over you and your group's collective experience, you will see that there are very few bits that you really need or might need, to keep rolling on a ride 200 kms from home and get back on your own steam.

You don't need 18 or 21 functions. Selectively you might need at most 5 or 6. But the trick is actually finding a tool with only what you need and nothing superfluous (like who the hell uses that toothpick thickness allen key man, except to poke holes in a new can of talcum powder?!!!).

Someone like Eric who actually works on bikes professionally would obviously appreciate a lot more, but there again, nothing beats the feel and satisfaction of a standalone tool designed exactly how you ergonomically want to use it ... the main aim not being to "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" the hell out of it till you just have the functional bob at the end and then cram 21 of those into something that resembles a large modern smartphone, and weighs probably as much or more.

I'd like to start a list of what I usually use the multi tool for, and another for what I might need but basic multi tools do not have.

Guys please feel free to add to it (copy and paste it in your reply, using the latest list before you):

What we use for day to day maintenance and tinkering (please note I am not a techie, in fact I am a techno saurus Rex, so where I do not know the technical name or size, I will simply point out the part in a way 95+% of cyclists reading would understand), from front to rear:

1) Stem clamp bolts

2) Stem bolts

3) Bar end bolts (or as in the older ones from my 2002 Hercules Top Gear, nuts)

4)Steerer tube top cap bolt

5) Brake cable bolts, derailleur cable bolts

6) Brake shoe allen key

7) Small Philips screwdriver for V Brake arm alignment

8) Bolts on frame (seat stay cross member) and inside fork steerer tube (?) holding rear and front brake callipers respectively on road bikes (you need a long reach bit to reach inside the fork) - to adjust left or right tilt and then retorque

9) Allen bolts for V brake (or cantilever brake) arms

10) Reach adjustment allen key for integrated brifter under the hood on road bikes

11) Allen key for brake / shifters on flat bars

12) Bottle cage allen keys or Philips scewdriver (medium to big)

13) Metal pedal cage Philips screwdriver (medium) - these often get loose

14) Clipless pedal allen key to adjust spring tension

15) For road (and MTB) shoes - allen keys for cleats

16) Small Philips screwdriver for Hi and Lo stop screws on both derailleurs

17) Allen bolts on chain rings (common source of unexplained creaking)

18) Seat tube clamp allen bolt or nut

19) Seat post clamp alley key

20) Rear derailleur bolt (into the hanger) allen key

21) Rear derailleur hanger (into the frame) allen key

22) A multipurpose standard size flat screwdriver

Additional bits needed:

1) Thin nose pliers with cable cutter and crimper

2) A good multipurpose cutting blade

3) Scissors (great to trim down large sized patches for a road bike tube for one)

4) Chain breaker tool

5) Spoke wrench

6) Presta / Shraeder valve core remover

Methinks we have entered Eric's roll-top bag territory already.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Neither. I have the normal Victorinox style old 250 buck one.
I have one too, which I bought along with the mybike. I bought another one from Rockbros recently because I wanted one with a chain breaker and T25 bit for my road bike.

Quote:
weight and compactness is everything. You don't need 18 or 21 functions.
The beauty of these is that even if you buy a 18 in one like the btwin 900, it is easy to remove the allen keys/ other bits you don't need by undoing the clamping nuts (usually a T25 torx) of the tool and tighten it back it with the bits that you need remaining. For me, this is better than the standalone one like say the Topeak Rachet rocket series where you risk losing the expensive-to-replace bits like Eric said.

Quote:
Someone like Eric who actually works on bikes professionally would obviously appreciate a lot more, but there again, nothing beats the feel and satisfaction of a standalone tool designed exactly how you ergonomically want to use it ... the main aim not being to "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" the hell out of it till you just have the functional bob at the end and then cram 21 of those into something that resembles a large modern smartphone, and weighs probably as much or more.
I think you need to decide whether you need the tool for emergencies during a ride or for regular maintenance at home. If it is the latter, then no multi-tool will be efficient, even the ones with stand alone keys because they will be too small and finicky to handle (Eg. Topeak Survial Gear Box). If it is the former, then the Topeak Hexus X is a good choice as it can handle most of the things that you listed. My Rockbros one is a wannabe clone of it with some omissions that I don't care about.

Quote:
like who the hell uses that toothpick thickness allen key
BTW, I use the toothpick thin one to remove debris from my cleats
itisravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 16:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have one too, which I bought along with the mybike. I bought another one from Rockbros recently because I wanted one with a chain breaker and T25 bit for my road bike.

The beauty of these is that even if you buy a 18 in one like the btwin 900, it is easy to remove the allen keys/ other bits you don't need by undoing the clamping nuts (usually a T25 torx) of the tool and tighten it back it with the bits that you need remaining. For me, this is better than the standalone one like say the Topeak Rachet rocket series where you risk losing the expensive-to-replace bits like Eric said.

I think you need to decide whether you need the tool for emergencies during a ride or for regular maintenance at home. If it is the latter, then no multi-tool will be efficient, even the ones with stand alone keys because they will be too small and finicky to handle (Eg. Topeak Survial Gear Box). If it is the former, then the Topeak Hexus X is a good choice as it can handle most of the things that you listed. My Rockbros one is a wannabe clone of it with some omissions that I don't care about.

BTW, I use the toothpick thin one to remove debris from my cleats
Can you provide a link please of the cheap Rockbros wannabe clone which you have?

Also, if you remove an Allen key bit from the current BTwin multitools (by unscrewing the clamping nuts), it will leave a open space in its place, and the rest of the bits will then be loose and not stay in tightly in place.

Or am I mistaken?

Cheers, Doc
Old 19th August 2021, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Can you provide a link please of the cheap Rockbros wannabe clone which you have?

Also, if you remove an Allen key bit from the current BTwin multitools (by unscrewing the clamping nuts), it will leave a open space in its place, and the rest of the bits will then be loose and not stay in tightly in place.

Or am I mistaken?

Cheers, Doc
Model GJ804C (weird naming as usual) https://www.ebay.com/itm/124338651719? is the one. If you don't mind spending, the Hexus X is always a better choice (its now in stock on the cyclop website).

The no. of bits you can remove depends on the length of the thread available on the nut for clamping it down.

Tools for your Bicycle-img_20210819_164813.jpg

Removing 1 or 2 bits shouldn't be a problem. If you remove many, just put a rubber band on it to avoid rattling. Or use a nut with longer threads. Or repack so that all the must-have ones are on one side.
Old 19th August 2021, 17:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Model GJ804C (weird naming as usual) https://www.ebay.com/itm/124338651719? is the one. If you don't mind spending, the Hexus X is always a better choice (its now in stock on the cyclop website).

The no. of bits you can remove depends on the length of the thread available on the nut for clamping it down.

Attachment 2195423

Removing 1 or 2 bits shouldn't be a problem. If you remove many, just put a rubber band on it to avoid rattling. Or use a nut with longer threads. Or repack so that all the must-have ones are on one side.
I guess what I meant was there are bits that open out on both sides.

If you remove one bit on one side, and do not remove a corresponding bit on the opposite side, you will still not be able to clamp down and take up that solitary open space

Essentially you have to remove bits in multiples of 2, equally between both sides.

Thanks for the link Ravi.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The amazon basics one also looks like a clone https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-M.../dp/B086DX1R19

PS: We are going completely OT in this thread. I am reporting these posts to be moved to the main thread.
Old 19th August 2021, 17:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
The amazon basics one also looks like a clone https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-M.../dp/B086DX1R19

PS: We are going completely OT in this thread. I am reporting these posts to be moved to the main thread.
I reported the starting post a while back to go into a new thread on bicycle tools. Hope the mods get on it.

This info is too good and awesome to be lost in the bowels of the bicycle dragon.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 17:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2195423

Hi Ravi,

I'm assuming you chose GJ804C for the Torx key. Neither of my bikes have a Torx bolt (that I can see). So which one should I choose? That chain hook and the two separate tyre levers (I'm assuming they double up as lever handle extensions for extra torque as well) are also a great touch which the other models do not seem to have. Isn't there a table or list description of which bits each model has? Are the same ones available on Amazon as well?

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 26th August 2021 at 17:40.
Old 26th August 2021, 18:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravi,

I'm assuming you chose GJ804C for the Torx key. Neither of my bikes have a Torx bolt (that I can see). So which one should I choose? That chain hook and the two separate tyre levers (I'm assuming they double up as lever handle extensions for extra torque as well) are also a great touch which the other models do not seem to have. Isn't there a table or list description of which bits each model has? Are the same ones available on Amazon as well?

Cheers, Doc
This is what is available on Amazon ...

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07NLB6566/...QWB5ZB7Y32E0RP

Last edited by ebonho : 26th August 2021 at 18:45.
Old 26th August 2021, 19:34   #15
BHPian

Re: Tools for your Bicycle

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...ml#post5131525 (The Bicycles thread)

Sharing the link above for my query posted in the main bicycles thread.

Coming to my experience, I have a multitool from AliExpress. Last week was the first breakdown which was something other than puncture. But in the last 3 years I carried around this tool with me, the tool got wet multiple times and already rusted quite a bit. I needed the chain tool to work but it got bent and I couldn't fix the chain myself.

Anyway, based on the discussion so far in this thread, I am thinking of getting just a good chain tool and not full multitool as I have rarely needed any of the allen keys.

Are Decathlon / Topeak tools resistant to rust?

Last edited by shipnil : 26th August 2021 at 19:39.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks