Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2021, 13:19   #16
BHPian

Re: 1st bicycle for my kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotoguru View Post
Can you please give the name of the wholesaler shop?
It's B.M.Davey & Co. in Broadway, Chennai.

On a lighter note - way back in 1996-97 period, my dad got me a cycle from this very same shop
callvvijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 15:27   #17
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post

I haven't been able to find a similar feature set in the traditional brands from my childhood. i.e. Bsa, Hercules, Hero etc.

Obviously I do not want to spend too much as this will be used by him for 2-3 years at the most

I am open to suggestions and would ideally like to spend less than 5000.
I have used the link below to identify the cycles from BSA/ Hercules and then the same link to identify official dealers of the same. While the BTwin was better than both the BSA cycles I purchased at a similar state as yours, they were sufficient for my purpose at the point of time- an economical option for a couple of years

https://www.trackandtrail.in/cycles

The other reason I went for these twice is that I got Disney-Marvel options which were characters played with by the kiddos.

Unlike other experiences mentioned here, my kids didn't have issues with accessories like carrier, water bottle etc. Infact, two people in our society had the BSA Champ 12T version which also has full rubber tyres. They were extremely robust (they were really stress tested by the kids riding them like bashing into walls, other cycles and each other) and the kids riding them didn't find an issue with them.

The BTwin bikes are definitely good quality (type of brakes, quick clamp release for seat adjustment etc) but for a couple of years I needed these cycles, I went with the cycles they chose with the Disney-Marvel characters they liked. It ensured they rode the cycles longer than getting bored with them like a new toy.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 17:55   #18
BHPian

After experience with my 2 kids for cycling. Younger one is still under 2, Don’t buy a paddle cycle. Get a balance bike first like some other members has suggested. It’s a foundation to brain figuring out how to balance your body and trust me they will have a blast on it.
abtyagi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 21:36   #19

Like most of them I would also highly recommend B’twin. When my son was around 3 years old I him this model- Kids cycle 3-5 years Arctic100 Reference: 8389344 (Out of stock now). I really pity the cycle due to the way he used it for the past 2.5 years, “rough use” is an under statement.
Even today it’s as good as new! Infact it used to take my weight too (67 kgs).
During the same duration his friends who were using other cycle brands, the parts got loose/broke within a year of purchase. There’s definitely a huge difference in quality between B’twin and other cycle brands.

He had recently outgrown it and I went ahead with a rock rider (KIDS CYCLE 6 to 8 ST 100 20 White MTB Reference: 8535138). Had to wait for 6 months for the stock but we ensured that we wait for it.

What I would suggest is to search for a used one if you are ok with it (I know there might be a lot of resistance from home front). Otherwise highly recommend to wait for the stock.

-VJ
vijay_jambu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 11:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to go for one size bigger than what you need right now.
With the past and current experience, I would suggest this one from BTWIN.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8389392/b...8389392&type=p
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 12:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to do some basic research on a cycle for my 3 year old.
He is around 95 cm tall and weighs around 15kg.

Why not a balancing bike ?. There is one from Brilrider. I have had excellent experience with this. got one for my son when he was two years old, two years down when he got his first Hercules, the supporting wheels were removed on day one. Highly recommend it.
Old 1st September 2021, 20:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Obviously I do not want to spend too much as this will be used by him for 2-3 years at the most, but I also do not want to get one from a no name, unknown brand with suspect safety and reliability.

Go for OLX, you should be able to find hardly used bikes in kids category easily.
I have got 2 sweet deals for my kid , best part with this route is you can easily upgrade the bike at right time and not let the kid suffer with improper bike fit.

Also no need to buy a Balance bike at this age, kids easily learn to pedal with support and once he grows up a bit he will also learn to balance easily no big deal.

Last edited by silverado : 1st September 2021 at 20:55.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2021, 23:02   #23
BHPian

Folks, going to share my experience.

My kid is nearly 5 yrs now.

He had a tricycle for about 2 years. Through a friend who was shifting town, got a Hero mickey mouse cycle about 8 months back (photo 1)

He did like the cycle because it came with training wheels. However, this cycle is about 15.1 kgs (as shown in the picture).

I have 2 bikes and their weight is an average of 10.5 kgs each. I was w t f, for a 4 year kid, who is 15kgs, a 15kg cycle is the adult equivalent of adult cyclist riding a cycle of ~60-65kgs.

I don't recall my Hercules kids bike being so heavy (as far as memories serve me).

So I looked online (this was the April-June lockdown time frame this year) and saw that there were very few light bicycles for kids (I was looking for an alloy frame).

Finally, checked OLX and saw the Btwin 500 4-6 year cycle. Picked that up. (photo 2)

2 months back sold off the Hero cycle.

The kid initially used the BTwin with training wheels as the seat is a bit high, but since the threading for one of the training wheels is stripped off, he's had to ride without it. And a few months in, he's able to ride it well.

My suggestions-

Pick up the Btwin cycles from the start.

1) The balance bike (3k) (when around 2-2.5 years old)
2) The 3-5 years bike . When around 3 years old.
3) The 500 4-6 year model above

After that, you have a choice of picking up better bikes for older kids depending on your budget.

Pros of the Btwin 500 4-6.
Weight is 9.2 kgs vs the 15.1 of the Hero. Huge difference. My kid can handle the Btwin all by himself. Falls, moving around is very easy.
Brakes are better
Alloy wheels (thus lighter)
The seat and handlebar position is better than the Hero
This Btwin is made in China, the frame is very light.

For those who travel abroad or have somebody coming in (say Singapore), you can pick up this Btwin 900 4-6 years bike. This one is about 2 kgs lighter than the Btwin 500 4-6 available in India. The cost is about ~10k INR.

Just to think about it, imagine the difference between a 15kg and a 7kg bike. It's mind boggling. I have spent 10s of thousands on my cycles. Why would I not think of spending 5-10k on a cycle for my kid? If it was available in India, I would definitely buy one. Weight is the 1st and foremost thing on my mind when picking up a kids cycle.

Pick up a cycle that's age appropriate. My kid is 114cm tall and 16kgs, so the Btwin 4-6 works very well. Other cycles will be too small or too big for him.

1st bicycle for my kid?-hero-mickey-mouse.jpg
Hero mickey mouse

1st bicycle for my kid?-btwin.jpg
Btwin 500 4-6

Last edited by bugatti : 4th September 2021 at 23:16.
bugatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_jambu View Post
Like most of them I would also highly recommend B’twin. When my son was around 3 years old I him this model- Kids cycle 3-5 years Arctic100 Reference: 8389344 (Out of stock now). I really pity the cycle due to the way he used it for the past 2.5 years, “rough use” is an under statement.
-VJ
I was quite keen on this but after I visited Decatholon yesterday I came to know that they have production issues and it will be on sale only after 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I would suggest you to go for one size bigger than what you need right now.
With the past and current experience, I would suggest this one from BTWIN.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8389392/b...8389392&type=p
My son really liked this and though he is only 3 his feet are almost reaching the ground. I have more or less decided on this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Go for OLX, you should be able to find hardly used bikes in kids category easily.
I have got 2 sweet deals for my kid , best part with this route is you can easily upgrade the bike at right time and not let the kid suffer with improper bike fit.
I had to listen to a long lecture from the missus for suggesting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
He did like the cycle because it came with training wheels. However, this cycle is about 15.1 kgs (as shown in the picture).

I have 2 bikes and their weight is an average of 10.5 kgs each. I was w t f, for a 4 year kid, who is 15kgs, a 15kg cycle is the adult equivalent of adult cyclist riding a cycle of ~60-65kgs.
These were my thoughts exactly and that's what put me off the older brands even though they are substantially cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
My suggestions-

Pick up the Btwin cycles from the start.

1) The balance bike (3k) (when around 2-2.5 years old)
2) The 3-5 years bike . When around 3 years old.
3) The 500 4-6 year model above

After that, you have a choice of picking up better bikes for older kids depending on your budget.
I will definitely follow this to T for my daughter who is 3 months old now.
Too late for my son but he can start with the Btwin now.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had to listen to a long lecture from the missus for suggesting this.

hey you should have framed the suggestion in better way, by calling it preloved.

Frankly speaking i find that route the best since kid is not stuck with a cycle which does not suit him/her and once you fit new components like seat/grip any old cycle can be refurbished easily. ( Provided its in good mechanical shape which most kiddo bikes are anyways )
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
hey you should have framed the suggestion in better way, by calling it preloved.
One thing you learn quickly after kids is that what's okay for you is none of her concern, as long as you do not pull her kids into it.

All this pre-loved, pre-worshipped new age relationship mantras sound good only in glossy magazines but go out of the door real fast in her domain.

Sooner we make peace with that fact, easier becomes our life as we get on doing what we want, and she handles the rest.

I'm an old school caveman. I know. I've heard it more than a few times.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 17:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for all your comments.
Finally picked up the Btwin 500 (4-6) for my son yesterday.
Seems built to last, however with all the accessories including the helmet and elbow/knee guards it ended up costing a pretty penny, a little over 11.5K.

Will share some pictures later in the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks