Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18859-article-how-buy-used-car-india-56.html)

A swift or ritz - get a newer and more lightly used one if you want it for highway use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4220928)
A swift or ritz - get a newer and more lightly used one if you want it for highway use.

The pre-owned swift or ritz sell like hot cakes. I have NOT seen many of them in these used car shops. Add to that, newer and lightly used vehicles would NOT fit in my budget of 2-3 lakhs. So, I have been open to figo/beat/getz also.

Are there any other worthy options in the diesel hatchback segment?

At your budget cheap petrol hatch is probably what you'll get if it has to be of a reasonable age and usage. Wagon R or Alto maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMaruru (Post 4221362)
The pre-owned swift or ritz sell like hot cakes. I have NOT seen many of them in these used car shops. Add to that, newer and lightly used vehicles would NOT fit in my budget of 2-3 lakhs. So, I have been open to figo/beat/getz also.

Are there any other worthy options in the diesel hatchback segment?

Pardon me for the long post. To be frank, I would not suggest a car without ABS, Airbags for highways. And no offence, it is highly unlikely to find a diesel Swift,ritz with ABS, Airbags under 3 lakhs. As hserus mentioned, only the newer ones are equipped with them and unsurprisingly they would be exorbitantly priced if they are sparingly used.

Hence, following are my suggested options-

Please consider the following Non-Maruti cars along with the figo-

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4189849)
HR to UP or DL will mean paying fresh life tax in the new state and then claiming old HR life tax back from the Haryanvi RTO. Paying life tax is easy, except on your pocket. Refunding will take many months of solid effort.

I have an address proof of Delhi and currently looking for cars registered in Haryana and UP (NCR area). Should I just stick to DL registered vehicles only?

If I plan on buying a UP registered vehicle would the paperwork be easy or legally I just can't purchase a vehicle from another state?

If I can purchase it does it mean I MUST get it transferred to DL registration instead of UP or HR?

Could you elaborate on the whole process please, thanks!

Please search for a huge thread called moving a car between states. If your address proof is DL please stick to DL cars. The other option is you can buy in HR or UP with a HR or UP address proof respectively, if you have one and drive the car in all three states.

Out of state car transfers and the subsequent tax refund are nightmares that will take months of effort

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4229829)
I have an address proof of Delhi and currently looking for cars registered in Haryana and UP (NCR area). Should I just stick to DL registered vehicles only?

Hi!
Since you are already in Delhi, your best option is to look for cars from DL itself. This will be the most hassle free option for you, esp when there is no dearth of used cars in DL :)

Quote:

If I plan on buying a UP registered vehicle would the paperwork be easy or legally I just can't purchase a vehicle from another state?

Of course it is 'legal' to buy a car registered in another state but the paperwork involved combined with the problems dealing with 2 RTOs and the additional expense of road tax payable in your state is just not worth exploring the option.

Quote:

If I can purchase it does it mean I MUST get it transferred to DL registration instead of UP or HR?

Legally, yes. You will need to get an NOC from the existing RTO (purchase state/city) and then apply to your present RTO for new registration with all the details. You will also need to pay the road tax for the balance years of total 15 years.

In all, quite a fiasco for nothing much for someone who is already in DL with wide array of used cars available at competitive rates.

Regards,
Saket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4229855)
Out of state car transfers and the subsequent tax refund are nightmares that will take months of effort

Quote:

Originally Posted by saket77 (Post 4229867)
Since you are already in Delhi, your best option is to look for cars from DL itself. This will be the most hassle free option for you, esp when there is no dearth of used cars in DL

Guys, I'm getting a 4x4 Fortuner which was bought during DeMo by the current owner. However, he hasn't transferred the car in his name yet.

The price of the car is at least ~2-3 lakhs cheaper than the current market price and the condition is mint!

Now the regn no. of this car is WB. I don't mind spending another 50k-1lac over and above this deal if that is what it'd take me to get it registered in Delhi i.e. paying road tax in Delhi and getting a refund from WB later.

I'm meeting him again tomorrow to finalize the deal but have no clue what papers to check and what kind of documentation I should have in my hand before I cut a cheque of the total amount to him.

Appreciate your help thus far!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4230231)
Guys, I'm getting a 4x4 Fortuner which was bought during DeMo by the current owner. However, he hasn't transferred the car in his name yet.

Does he have a NOC from the WB RTO for this car in the name of the original owner, along with the rest of the name transfer paperwork signed and filled in by the original owner?

This fellow is likely a small time dealer / broker .. "didn't transfer to his name after buying it" = no other reason. Or he is selling a stolen car after the hue and cry has died down which is quite possible if he actually doesn't have the above paperwork.

Proceed with caution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4230234)
Does he have a NOC from the WB RTO for this car in the name of the original owner, along with the rest of the name transfer paperwork signed and filled in by the original owner?

Thanks for the warning!

I wasn't sure what paperwork I must check before I have over the cheque to him. I was tempted to close the deal there and then but it looked too good to be true which is why I came back citing an excuse.

He looked honest and blunt stating that he bought the car during DeMo since something had to be done with the money and now his new Fortuner is coming home so he doesn't need this one anymore. The only thing he mentioned was that he has the NOC from bank, I'm assuming it may have been running a loan from the previous owner.

What must I check specifically, I mean list of documents apart from NOC from RTO and NOC from Bank.

I know of RC, Insurance, Road Tax Receipt, Original Invoice Receipts (I'm not sure whether this guy would have it all)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4230247)
What must I check specifically, I mean list of documents apart from NOC from RTO and NOC from Bank.

I know of RC, Insurance, Road Tax Receipt, Original Invoice Receipts (I'm not sure whether this guy would have it all)

Original RC - that should already have the road tax paid endorsed on it - many states won't issue separate tax tokens or tax receipts.

Out of state so NOC from the previous RTO (and it means you have to pay road tax afresh in Delhi for the Fortuner, then file for refund of old road tax) - that is form 28

Application form CMV 27.
RC
Tax Card if issued separately
Insurance
Consent of the Financier (endorsement on one of the form copies)
Pollution Under Control Certificate - you can get that at any petrol pump that has a PUC check counter

Please search for the appropriate tbhp thread moving a car between states. It may end up costing you personally to run pillar to post to kolkata and back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 4230247)
Thanks for the warning!

I wasn't sure what paperwork I must check before I have over the cheque to him. I was tempted to close the deal there and then but it looked too good to be true which is why I came back citing an excuse.

He looked honest and blunt stating that he bought the car during DeMo since something had to be done with the money and now his new Fortuner is coming home so he doesn't need this one anymore. The only thing he mentioned was that he has the NOC from bank, I'm assuming it may have been running a loan from the previous owner.

I would suggest you to stay away from this deal. The thing is that you dont even know who the real owner of the car is. This guy selling you the car may be anyone, and how he has got hold of it is not clear. Too murky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4230255)
Original RC...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvldvr (Post 4230267)
I would suggest you to stay away from this deal. The thing is that you dont even know who the real owner of the car is. This guy selling you the car may be anyone, and how he has got hold of it is not clear. Too murky.

The update is that this guy doesn't have anything else apart from the bank NOC. :)

I told him that it'd be an issue to get it transferred to Delhi registration so thanked him for his time. He said he'll check with his brother but I doubt if he'd have anything at all.

Wow. Such blatant selling of stolen cars. Good that you stayed away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4230255)
Please search for the appropriate tbhp thread moving a car between states. It may end up costing you personally to run pillar to post to kolkata and back.

I took your suggestion and actually ignored every HR/UP deal that was coming my way, better to get a DL registered car and I'm glad that I waited for it, thanks again!

So today I test drove a Fortuner and liked everything about it. I'm getting its details checked from Toyota but the hunch so far is that this is the car I was looking for.

First question: The car is in a company name but the dealer said that the cheque would be in their name and not the owner, does it mean that the dealer has already purchased the car from the owner or deals through dealer work like this?

I saw the paperwork of the car and everything was in place - RC, Insurance, Bank NOC, PUC etc.

Second question: The dealer said that there would be some cash involved, around 2.5-3 lakhs of the 18 lakh deal. Any idea why cash component is introduced when I'm willing to pay 100% amount in cheque?

EDIT: The car IDV was ~16 lakhs IIRC, just in case this helps.