Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/18859-article-how-buy-used-car-india-55.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4186809)
I am going to see a used car tomorrow at a dealer in Hyderabad which is listed as a single owner. It is registered in Andhra Pradesh in 2011 before the state was divided.

However when I check the Telegana Road Transport website its shows a different owner than from the Andhra Pradesh Road Transport website.

All other details remain the same.

On the Vahan website the name of the owner is same as the Andhra Pradesh website.

Is this a two owner car? How can I verify it?

I asked the dealer to show the original invoice to prove that it was first owner car, he then admitted it was a two owner car and online they had made a mistake lol:

Never trust a used car dealer !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4187071)
Never trust a used car dealer !

+1. There are only a few trusted used car dealers in Hyderabad. Rest all have "iski topi uske sar"(swindler) attitude.

May we know which vehicle you are looking at?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4187340)
+1. There are only a few trusted used car dealers in Hyderabad. Rest all have "iski topi uske sar"(swindler) attitude.

May we know which vehicle you are looking at?

I went to check out a 2011 Laura 1.8 TSI Manual . The car needed probably 1.5L + worth of work.

Also it seems since I am not from here dealers are more inclined to take me for a ride : online they quote one price and when I call them they increase the price by 10-15% :deadhorse

A 2011 Skoda needing 1.5 lakhs worth of work. God I would stay as far away as I could.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4187402)
I went to check out a 2011 Laura 1.8 TSI Manual . The car needed probably 1.5L + worth of work.

If you are planning to sell the car before you move out, then its better to stick to the diesel. You will have tough time to dispose the high-end petrol cars. Also better to buy such cars from the individual sellers/branded resellers rather than the local dealers.
AFAIK, all the luxury cars are battered by the dealers for their own use before the car is sold off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 (Post 4187862)
If you are planning to sell the car before you move out, then its better to stick to the diesel. You will have tough time to dispose the high-end petrol cars. Also better to buy such cars from the individual sellers/branded resellers rather than the local dealers.
AFAIK, all the luxury cars are battered by the dealers for their own use before the car is sold off.

My running is very low hence don't need a diesel car and most petrol cars are usually less run than diesel versions.

Individual sellers are hard to find. This dealer was a branded seller with a lot of very new Mercs, Jaguars and BMWs:

http://www.autoarena.in/

Here is the car I went to see:

http://www.autoarena.in/Skoda-Auto/S...d-2672441.html

If he is selling duds that require 1.5 lakhs worth of work after running just 32k kilometers over 7 years, I would certainly not buy Mercs or BMWs from him even if I could afford those instead of an aam aadmi Honda.

Steer clear of his entire setup. There's nowhere in that ad that he mentions such work being required, has just polished up the exterior to look like new and I guess some buyer will believe that and buy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4188046)
My running is very low hence don't need a diesel car and most petrol cars are usually less run than diesel versions.

Individual sellers are hard to find. This dealer was a branded seller with a lot of very new Mercs, Jaguars and BMWs:

http://www.autoarena.in/

Here is the car I went to see:

http://www.autoarena.in/Skoda-Auto/S...d-2672441.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by hserus (Post 4188106)
If he is selling duds that require 1.5 lakhs worth of work after running just 32k kilometers over 7 years, I would certainly not buy Mercs or BMWs from him even if I could afford those instead of an aam aadmi Honda.

Steer clear of his entire setup. There's nowhere in that ad that he mentions such work being required, has just polished up the exterior to look like new and I guess some buyer will believe that and buy it.

Obviously he wouldn't mention that :D

The car probably had problems for the 2nd owner hence its for sale, he tried to show its a first owner car. On inspection I found various faults then he admitted to all the work it needed.

Also one advice for everyone please do not believe these 3rd party car certifications such as Carwale.com or CarTrade.com etc.

They are all fake, both these certifying agencies rated the car 4.5/5 , requiring no work and first owner. :Frustrati

I see many high mileage 2012 Vento & Verna diesels being sold at around 5-6 Lakhs. My primary interest on these vehicles is due to the fact that most of them are equipped with airbags & abs. Following are my queries -
  1. How reliable are the Hyundai Crdi engines. AFAIK, the first gen. Accent Crdi had a very short lifespan of <1.5 Lakh kms. Same question about the german Tdi engines.
  2. What are the upkeep costs of maintaining a C-segment car?
    • Cost of clutch,gearbox overhaul?
    • Cost of Suspension overhaul?
    • Cost of engine rebuild?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxbat (Post 4188245)
Also one advice for everyone please do not believe these 3rd party car certifications such as Carwale.com or CarTrade.com etc.
They are all fake. :Frustrati

True that. I have seen many accident cars being certified by CarTrade. The report does not mention any of the doors, panels to be repainted/replaced in the exterior section. It is clearly a hogwash.

I have been looking around for a used car (for a friend) and have some doubts regarding transfer of ownership.

The friend (on whose name the car would be transferred to) has permanent address proof for HR51 (Faridabad, Haryana) and his previous vehicles have been HR51 registered till now. The cars we are looking at are Faridabad, Gurgaon, Noida or Delhi registered.

Can one transfer out of state cars (DL or UP registered) into his name without changing the registration number (and paying tax again) given that he has address proof "only" for HR51 registration?

Or one can transfer ownership from same state (HR) with different RTO (HR26, Gurgaon to HR51) with address proof of HR51?

Or one has to stick to same RTO cars (HR51) only?

Also, at the first place, is it possible to change the address and owner name to new location while keeping the registration number same (same state different RTO or out of state, in both cases)?

We wanted to confirm if anyone has done such transfers in the recent past and how easy/difficult the process was. Basically he wants to keep the process as simple as possible (though it will be done by agent) and some clarity on this aspect would filter down our seach as there are a lot of cars on offer if we consider UP, HR as well as DL registration.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggrin (Post 4189349)
Can one transfer out of state cars (DL or UP registered) into his name without changing the registration number (and paying tax again) given that he has address proof "only" for HR51 registration?

Or one can transfer ownership from same state (HR) with different RTO (HR26, Gurgaon to HR51) with address proof of HR51?

Within the state he need not change the number at all even if he shifts to a different RTO jurisdiction. HR anywhere to HR anywhere should be straightforward.

HR to UP or DL will mean paying fresh life tax in the new state and then claiming old HR life tax back from the Haryanvi RTO. Paying life tax is easy, except on your pocket. Refunding will take many months of solid effort.

Hi all.

I am planning on selling my 2014 Honda City VX CVT which has run 28,000 kms and still has 1 year of warranty remaining (under extended warranty). I want to sell it because in a few weeks, the new 2017 Honda City ZX CVT will be delivered to me and I find it kind of baseless to have two cars that are mechanically the same, with a few cosmetic changes. I have one brother, and we use the cars to go to college.

So we thought Kizashi. Being huge Japanese cars, and having a dream of owning a mid size Japanese import in India, we saw that several Kizashis are on the used market going for quite low prices. If the City VX could sell for 7-8 lakhs, then it would be nice to pick up a Kizashi for around 5 lakhs.

After searching, we found a 2011 Kizashi CVT in South Delhi, which has only run 48,000 kms, one of the lowest mileage ones we've found throughout India. The car seems to be in a great condition from the looks of the images, and is in a nice silver metallic body colour with beige interiors. The owner is asking for 6.25 lakhs but says its negotiable to around 5.5 depending on how interested we are. I recently spoke to him and arranged for a test drive and a check up to see if everything is mechanically sound. I will also have a look at the service history and the original invoice to see how much he bought it for new. He is the first owner.

I am just worried about two things about the Kizashi, knowing it hasn't been so successful in the Indian markets. This is where I need the best of my fellow BHPians' knowledge to help me make this decision. Reliability and maintenance costs. Is the car worth relying on if it is in a good mechanical condition and has only run 48,000 kms? Are there any common problems that I should be aware of, which would make me avoid this purchase? The owner looks like he's taken good care of it and has kept it covered for quite a while, since he is supposedly in the process of moving to Chandigarh - this is his reason for selling the car (he has too many to take with him).

I just need to know whether the Kizashi would be a 5lakh investment down the drain due to heavy maintenance issues or mechanical problems that come up after its run a few thousand kilometers. I intend to use it as a daily driver to college (40 kms on the Noida Expressway daily). I am not that worried about the mileage factor.

All your comments and feedback would be very much appreciated.

If anyone knows a fellow Kizashi owner, I would appreciate if I could get in contact with them to know what the experience is like and if the drawbacks are severe enough to avoid the purchase.

Thanks a lot in advance friends. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmanliving (Post 4213842)
Hi all.

If anyone knows a fellow Kizashi owner, I would appreciate if I could get in contact with them to know what the experience is like and if the drawbacks are severe enough to avoid the purchase.

Thanks a lot in advance friends. :)

Bhpian IshaanIan has a Kizashi, he's pretty active here and can give you the best advice.

My 2 cents, don't sell your car to get another one unless the new car settles a specific requirement. Though I do believe the Kizashi would be better to drive, but would also give significantly lower FE and since you're going to be doing most miles on the Expressway, get the MT it will be more fun. The benefits of lower maintenance as well

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

I am looking for a pre-owned diesel hatchback for long drives, with budget of around 2-3 lakhs. I am keen on swift, ritz, ford figo or VW polo. Let me know, if I have omitted any other diesel hatchbacks.

We have a 2001 Alto LX at home, which can be used only for local errands.

What should one look out for when buying a used diesel car and also any pointers to dealers/showrooms in and around south of B'lore. I stay at JP Nagar.

Please advise!